Stats: 3,152,936 members, 7,817,738 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:18 PM

Czech Man With No Heart Dies After Six Months - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Czech Man With No Heart Dies After Six Months (10669 Views)

Lagos Doctor Dies After Attending To Patient (photo) / Corps Member Dies Mysteriously As Husband Of Six Months Flees (Pictured) / Czech Man Becomes The First Person In The World To Live With No Heart Or Pulse (2) (3) (4)

Czech Man With No Heart Dies After Six Months by ALEBS(m): 7:59pm On Oct 17, 2012
A Czech father of one who survived for more than six months without a real heart has died at the age of 37. Jakub Halik had his heart replaced with two mechanical pumps in pioneering surgery last April after an aggressive cancerous tumour was found.

Doctors say his death was caused by liver failure, and not the artificial heart itself. Mr Halik, a former firefighter, was waiting on the transplant list for a suitable donor when he died. Despite not having a pulse and always having to carry a battery pack to power his mechanical heart, Mr Halik was able to walk around and even use the hospital gym.

He was not able to accept a donor heart earlier because the cancer meant he would not be able to take the drugs he would need for a successful organ transplant. The radical surgery had only ever been tried on one other patient, a man in Texas, who survived for just a week. 'Healthy man' Mr Halik's operation was carried out by Jan Pirk, director of cardiology at the Institute of Clinical and Experimental Medicine in Prague. His team used two plastic pumps, each designed to perform the separate tasks of the left and right sides of the heart.

Speaking at a press conference in August more than four months after the surgery, Mr Halik said he felt "very good physically", and said he had made the right choice to proceed with the operation. "It was hard for me but I didn't have any other chance at all," he told reporters. "It was acknowledged that with the tumour I can survive for about one year and I decided to fight and do it this way." He said the experience of living without a heart had not been difficult. "I don't even realise it, because the functions of the body are the same, only my heart is not beating and I have no pulse anymore," Mr Halik said. "Otherwise I am functioning like a healthy man at present." Doctors said it is unclear how Mr Halik's liver failed. They are awaiting the outcome of a post- mortem examination.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19977958
Re: Czech Man With No Heart Dies After Six Months by semid4lyfe(m): 8:47pm On Oct 17, 2012
The Original story as reported on NL: Czech Man Lives With No Heart For Six Months

Sad the man has passed away undecided

May his gentle soul rest in perfect peace
Re: Czech Man With No Heart Dies After Six Months by Kslib(m): 8:49pm On Oct 17, 2012
Rest In Peace
Re: Czech Man With No Heart Dies After Six Months by dridowu: 8:50pm On Oct 17, 2012
So sad......................................RIP HEARTLESS MAN

Re: Czech Man With No Heart Dies After Six Months by ektbear: 8:55pm On Oct 17, 2012
damn. that sucks.
Re: Czech Man With No Heart Dies After Six Months by Nobody: 8:57pm On Oct 17, 2012
Oh wow...RIP mister.
Re: Czech Man With No Heart Dies After Six Months by Nobody: 8:59pm On Oct 17, 2012
1 thing must always kill a man!

Re: Czech Man With No Heart Dies After Six Months by Drunk: 9:00pm On Oct 17, 2012
dridowu: So sad......................................RIP HEARTLESS MAN
Are you kidding me? undecided undecided
Re: Czech Man With No Heart Dies After Six Months by Nobody: 9:00pm On Oct 17, 2012
No matter hw harder scientist try to provide alternatives to means of life, nature is diffrenced to nurture, which cant be cheated. Ppl out there dis is just a warner nd a reminder, evry one should be awared dt no man can runs faster than his shadow, we shall all go back home or to a jorney of irreturnable one day, willingly or unwillingly.

Re: Czech Man With No Heart Dies After Six Months by gbadexy(m): 9:09pm On Oct 17, 2012
They should leave story abegi.
Apparently the effect of absence of pulse and maybe some slight change in the natural rhythm to the flow of blood affected the liver which is the reservoir for blood amongst many other function.

Re: Czech Man With No Heart Dies After Six Months by Nobody: 9:09pm On Oct 17, 2012
The 6 extra months was a gift from the scientists. Farewell Soul.

Re: Czech Man With No Heart Dies After Six Months by Iaz93: 9:10pm On Oct 17, 2012

lwkMd4Ooo....hahahahah
Re: Czech Man With No Heart Dies After Six Months by Royaldee: 9:12pm On Oct 17, 2012
Rest in peace
Re: Czech Man With No Heart Dies After Six Months by Iaz93: 9:14pm On Oct 17, 2012
RIP BrO... Wicked world .hmmm
Re: Czech Man With No Heart Dies After Six Months by Iaz93: 9:15pm On Oct 17, 2012
RIP BrO... Wicked world ....hmmm
Re: Czech Man With No Heart Dies After Six Months by Nobody: 9:17pm On Oct 17, 2012
Even with a heart, death is inevitable ! May his gentle soul rest in perfect peace .

Re: Czech Man With No Heart Dies After Six Months by Beync(f): 9:18pm On Oct 17, 2012
what the scriptures says is true. When a particular part of the body is sick, all other parts become affected. There is no how the liver can survive without a functioning heart. Scientists can try but God pass them

Re: Czech Man With No Heart Dies After Six Months by tope3x(m): 9:18pm On Oct 17, 2012

You got me rolling on the floor Mr man... grin grin grin grin grin grin grin.....RIP TO HIM cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Czech Man With No Heart Dies After Six Months by gbadexy(m): 9:20pm On Oct 17, 2012
Billyonaire: The 6 extra months was a gift from the scientists. Farewell Soul.
He was given a chance of one year without the mechanical pump.
But I guess the scientists would improve on subsequent ones.
Re: Czech Man With No Heart Dies After Six Months by Nobody: 9:21pm On Oct 17, 2012

I think you are rather heartless as the situation itself. How I wish he knew Christ.
Re: Czech Man With No Heart Dies After Six Months by Nobody: 9:24pm On Oct 17, 2012
gbadexy:
He was given a chance of one year without the mechanical pump.
But I guess the scientists would improve on subsequent ones.
Oh Okay, There needs to be improvement on that technology, they should replicate nature's peristaltic heart-pump, I hated to see that guy with bag pack everywhere he went. I cant imagine that my heart pump is outside my heart.
Re: Czech Man With No Heart Dies After Six Months by Nobody: 9:34pm On Oct 17, 2012
Wow, Sad. He has provided his bit to make the discovery better.
Re: Czech Man With No Heart Dies After Six Months by tellwisdom: 9:34pm On Oct 17, 2012
Who killed him?? sad sad
Re: Czech Man With No Heart Dies After Six Months by mallorca(m): 9:34pm On Oct 17, 2012
RIP
Re: Czech Man With No Heart Dies After Six Months by Nobody: 9:38pm On Oct 17, 2012
tellwisdom: Who killed him?? sad sad
same person that killed death.
Re: Czech Man With No Heart Dies After Six Months by misreal(m): 9:41pm On Oct 17, 2012
I hope he knew christ b4 he died.
Re: Czech Man With No Heart Dies After Six Months by Nobody: 9:42pm On Oct 17, 2012
nice pun you got there
Re: Czech Man With No Heart Dies After Six Months by Tos87(m): 9:45pm On Oct 17, 2012
God is sitll ЂΞ ultimate physician...RIP Man.
Re: Czech Man With No Heart Dies After Six Months by KINGwax(m): 9:48pm On Oct 17, 2012
Iaz93: RIP BrO... Wicked world ....hmmm
jes as your username, you're too lazy to think straight. The witches and wizards in your village is really disturbing your thinking. Every thing negative are now attributed to witches and wizard abi? That's why your comment shld be 'wicked world'. You psychotic Idiotta
Re: Czech Man With No Heart Dies After Six Months by vivaciousvivi(f): 9:59pm On Oct 17, 2012
Awwwwww and to think I just read his story not too long ago. He sounded so optimistic. RIP Malik.
Re: Czech Man With No Heart Dies After Six Months by UmericanGirl(f): 10:04pm On Oct 17, 2012
Sad to hear of him passing. RIP. I'm confused though about the no pulse thing.
Re: Czech Man With No Heart Dies After Six Months by controlseven: 10:04pm On Oct 17, 2012
Science can be beautiful especially in a case like this. U were strong even without ur heart for a long while. I wish you lived longer bro....joining you later ok.

Nigeria Has 600 Pediatricians For 40million Children / Ugwuanyi Orders Total Overhaul Of General Hospital Agbani / FCCPC To Arraign Supermarkets, Pharmacies For Inflating Prices Of Sanitisers