Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,254 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:45 AM

Beginning Android Programming. Come Lets Start Together. - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Beginning Android Programming. Come Lets Start Together. (5037 Views)

Let Learn Android Programming Togather / What Level Of Java Is Required For Android Programming ? / Beginners - Learn Android Programming (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Beginning Android Programming. Come Lets Start Together. by Joshua3(m): 4:49am On Oct 24, 2012
Lets start .........

Any application or software has two major parts. 1 its GUI components(How it looks) and 2 its functionality part(What it does)

The GUI component of android is done with xml

The functionality part is written in java.
Re: Beginning Android Programming. Come Lets Start Together. by Joshua3(m): 5:24am On Oct 24, 2012
open a new android project on eclipse goto new scroll to others(last option) goto android click on project

it automatically opens a new project for you.

when you go on your eclipse page, it shows the name of your project on the right. in case this doesn't show up, goto the window tab on your menu bar (not microsoft windows)

click on it , it brings a set of options click on the "show view" option then click on project explorer.
Re: Beginning Android Programming. Come Lets Start Together. by Kennyinusa(m): 10:03am On Oct 24, 2012
i am not been able to install the plugin ooooo.

I have downloaded both Eclipse indigo and Classic 4.2.1. I would try and download the Eclipse EE IDE toady
Re: Beginning Android Programming. Come Lets Start Together. by Joshua3(m): 9:12pm On Oct 24, 2012
i use eclipse indigo . you only need one ide. just try and follow the steps you should get it once
Re: Beginning Android Programming. Come Lets Start Together. by Joshua3(m): 9:12pm On Oct 24, 2012
What exertly is not letting you download it, so i can see how i can help.
Re: Beginning Android Programming. Come Lets Start Together. by mashnino(m): 6:25am On Oct 25, 2012
joshua i am with you oooo...

lets continue togeda..

i knw a lil bit of java.. i'm on GUI in java bt nt too deep..

i have downloaded all the tools..

and as at this time i am installing them and getting dem to work fine...
Re: Beginning Android Programming. Come Lets Start Together. by GideonG(m): 2:13am On Oct 26, 2012
Definitely following and can't wait for the updates...keep them coming.
Re: Beginning Android Programming. Come Lets Start Together. by Joshua3(m): 4:19pm On Oct 28, 2012
sorry for the late reply i'm back to by hotspot. was away for a while.
Re: Beginning Android Programming. Come Lets Start Together. by Joshua3(m): 4:29pm On Oct 28, 2012
this is how the project explorer appears

Re: Beginning Android Programming. Come Lets Start Together. by Joshua3(m): 4:32pm On Oct 28, 2012
if you click on the little arrow beside the folder, you will open it up and view other folders in it.

All these folders can be accessed from your windows explorer(your system and not in eclipse)

The folder show this way

Re: Beginning Android Programming. Come Lets Start Together. by Joshua3(m): 4:37pm On Oct 28, 2012
Each of those folders have their specific use in the project.

you should not delete a folder because you might need it, or it might already have been referenced to in one of the auto-generated codes.

Note that you are allowed to create new folders. the new folder should have its own name, different from an existing one
Re: Beginning Android Programming. Come Lets Start Together. by GideonG(m): 7:53pm On Oct 28, 2012
Nice one Joshua, lead us to the promise land. Ride on bruv.
Re: Beginning Android Programming. Come Lets Start Together. by haneefsoft: 2:53pm On Oct 29, 2012
I have two android apps ready to be released plus a lot of uncompleted projects.
would like to contribute anytime I'm online
Re: Beginning Android Programming. Come Lets Start Together. by Joshua3(m): 7:25pm On Oct 29, 2012
@haneefsoft , we would really like that. Your help and contributions are most welcome.
Re: Beginning Android Programming. Come Lets Start Together. by Nairaface: 1:30am On Oct 31, 2012
J ø $ h ù á:
@kennyinusa

About which is better, i cannot say. But from personal use, i prefer eclipse to any other ide.
In eclipse all u have to do is download plug-ins that adapt eclipse to a language, then you go ahead and write.

And you do not do this from your browser but from the ide itself. Its just cool.

You can have just a single eclipse ide and write almost all the languages available on it.
Great thread. Setting up the android plugins in NetBeans is even easier (tried both). But there are more online support for Eclipse than for Netbeans. I use Netbeans because I found it to be more user-friendly generally. I'm new to Android dev too so i'll be watching this space and try to share the great references i found too. So far, i agree with thread starter on the smooth learning curve. Here is a comparison from Netbeans. the most obstacle for me has been the libraries. I have some JavaFX apps that I'm trying to convert, but I am finding out, sadly, that the Java.awt, for example, or even JPanel, are Greek in Android.

http://netbeans.org/features/platform/compare.html
Re: Beginning Android Programming. Come Lets Start Together. by dmcdad: 1:18am On Nov 01, 2012
J ø $ h ù á:
Hi everybody, i just recently started android programming, and saw how easy it was. i would love to help anyone who is also interested in android begin.

That will be great. I have the necessary tools already. I do know VB, C, JAVA to some extent. I think I will like to join the moving train...

I have Android SDK, I have Eclipse cos thats what I use in writing java codes, etc
Re: Beginning Android Programming. Come Lets Start Together. by solutions247(m): 2:03pm On Nov 04, 2012
What abt a dummy like me who dnt kw java, bt i hav interest in it whc am learnin tru a buk.. bt i jst starting to kw php/my sql hw do i kope wit dis development as i hav neva done hard programing....please what n what kan i benefit if i develop apps 4 Android??
Re: Beginning Android Programming. Come Lets Start Together. by Joshua3(m): 6:13am On Nov 07, 2012
Sorry for late replies, i've been quite busy lately.

The benefits of android that i see, especially in Nigeria is uniqueness, android is not very common here, so if one can develop him/herself in it, it would really serve the person right.

and android also uses java, so in directly, you get more exposure to java.
Re: Beginning Android Programming. Come Lets Start Together. by Joshua3(m): 6:15am On Nov 07, 2012
I want us to start the coding next.

Please you need to have a basic knowledge of java before we start . but if you dont, not to worry i'll do the explanation of things as we carry on.
God help us.
Re: Beginning Android Programming. Come Lets Start Together. by Joshua3(m): 6:32am On Nov 07, 2012
Please i need to know if you guys are ready to kick off.
Re: Beginning Android Programming. Come Lets Start Together. by GideonG(m): 7:31am On Nov 08, 2012
Ever ready!!!! Bring it on. I'm following
Re: Beginning Android Programming. Come Lets Start Together. by efeano: 4:53pm On Nov 09, 2012
Get the latest eclipse IDE (juno; last time I checked)
Download the sdk (Google it up or go to android.com)
Make sure you install the usb driver incase you prefer live testing on ur android device(I definitely prefer live testing) to using the AVD.
Get a good book like "Android for total beginners" (like 340 pages; so it should be a quick read in less than a week)
But be aware that you need at least some basic knowledge of Java.
For a quick tutorial that covers the fundamentals of java visit homeandlearn.co.uk
From there on you are good to go.
Cheers and success to ur android developer career.

----------------------------

Sharing is Caring.
http://onatronic.com
Re: Beginning Android Programming. Come Lets Start Together. by Joshua3(m): 11:42pm On Nov 09, 2012
I'll be putting things up here as i also progress in my developing skills.

Lets start a new android project , name it whatever you want.

we'll be doing a lot of things on this one project so giving it a specific name will not be advisable.
Re: Beginning Android Programming. Come Lets Start Together. by dmcdad: 11:43pm On Nov 09, 2012
J ø $ h ù á:
I'll be putting things up here as i also progress in my developing skills.

Lets start a new android project , name it whatever you want.

we'll be doing a lot of things on this one project so giving it a specific name will not be advisable.

press forward, we are with u
Re: Beginning Android Programming. Come Lets Start Together. by Joshua3(m): 11:44pm On Nov 09, 2012
As every other programming tutorial, anywhere in the world, the program you get to write first is the one, to print "Hello World"

Putting in mind the two segments i talked about earlier, java and xml
we get to start off with the xml.
Re: Beginning Android Programming. Come Lets Start Together. by dmcdad: 11:52pm On Nov 09, 2012
Okay. Will like to see the syntax for xml on the hello world program. Just wanna see how it displays informations using the standard output
Re: Beginning Android Programming. Come Lets Start Together. by Joshua3(m): 11:53pm On Nov 09, 2012
In your new project, click on the res folder that displays under your project in the project explorer. you should see another folder named layout.

This is where all your screen views will be stored ie what ever your application is going to show on the screen will be built there.

you should have by defaul activity_main.xml or main.xml already auto generated for you.

open this file by clicking on it. it should open up a window with codes already on it. It should look something like

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8">
<LinearLayout
android:layout_width="match_parent"
<TextView
<android:layout_width="fill_parent"
></TextView>

></LinearLayout>
Re: Beginning Android Programming. Come Lets Start Together. by Joshua3(m): 11:54pm On Nov 09, 2012
Feel free to delete all of these, so that we can start clean.
Re: Beginning Android Programming. Come Lets Start Together. by ensodev(m): 11:52pm On Nov 11, 2012
Hi guyz actually i dont know how far you guyz have gone but am joining the group pls ur
great assistance will be needed on where to
down load the eclipes and the android sdk
meanwhile if you can help me with ebooks
on java, javascript, and eclipse cause am new
to them have always use visual studio.net product.
ogunsolaomolade@gmail.com
Re: Beginning Android Programming. Come Lets Start Together. by Nobody: 9:38am On Nov 16, 2012
Thanks to all that started this, will follow by next year God's willing, want to finish brushing thru my java tutorials, andriod we de come oh
Re: Beginning Android Programming. Come Lets Start Together. by Kennyinusa(m): 8:50am On Dec 27, 2015
Kennyinusa:
I just finished downloading the Eclipse indigo IDE and android ADT.

Let's start Android............

in 2015 i use Android Studio 2.0 Preview for Android
Xcode 7.2 for iOS and
IntelJ IDEA 14(Ultimate) for almost every other stuff

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Votes Needed For Nigerian Student Whose Software Reduces Infant Mortality Rate / VR (virtual Reality) Developer / Who Is The Best Programmer In Nairaland?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.