Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,832 members, 7,810,201 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:23 PM

Craze For Title! - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Craze For Title! (6202 Views)

The Craze For Nudity Is Not A Sign Of Civilization But Demonization / Usa:ideological Craze For The Big Ben / Why The 'Daddy' Craze In Our Churches? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Craze For Title! by jintujinta(m): 10:37am On Jan 24, 2008
It is not a new thing that an average Nigerian loves titles. If he is not chief, he will be Alhaji. If she is not deaconess, she will be chief Mrs, or Honourable or even Senator , even though he now occupies the Governorship seat. But what really bothers me is the craze for title in the house of God. It is now a common thing to hear Dr. Evangelist Ebenezer Obey or Dr Prophet Sam Ayorinde or Dr Bishop David Oyedepo, etc. Why do christians allow craze for title to creep into the house of God?

Please what is your own title or what would you like to be called to confirm your craze for title? grin
Re: Craze For Title! by pilgrim1(f): 11:14am On Jan 24, 2008
jintujinta:

Please what is your own title or what would you like to be called to confirm your craze for title? grin

Not everyone (Nigerians included) are crazy about titles - so there's only a few people who might want to "confirm" their craze for such.

Job 32:22
For I know not to give flattering titles;
in so doing my Maker would soon take me away.
Re: Craze For Title! by jintujinta(m): 11:18am On Jan 24, 2008
May your days be long. actually that question was sarcastic. It was only meant to ridicule the act. the main thrust of the topic is why do christians allow it in the house of God and what can the Christians do to stop it?
Re: Craze For Title! by pilgrim1(f): 11:31am On Jan 24, 2008
@jintujinta,

Great name - yours! grin

jintujinta:

May your days be long.

What a blessing this morning! As someone once prayed for me, so I say: "May God Himself bless you with both Hands!" Kai! That prayer has been answered in so many ways for me! cheesy

jintujinta:

actually that question was sarcastic. It was only meant to ridicule the act.

You were actually being too kind, believe me! I haven't been home (Naija) for sometime now. . . but "home" is with us here in the UK! So I can well relate to the craze for titles, and I might add here that perhaps the reason why it does not seem to garner moss as it does back home is that some sterling must drop along with it! grin

jintujinta:

the main thrust of the topic is why do christians allow it in the house of God and what can the Christians do to stop it?

I've been wondering about that myself. . . although I must say I'm fortunate to be in a place (fellowship) where such tendencies are seriously discouraged.
Re: Craze For Title! by jintujinta(m): 11:46am On Jan 24, 2008
pilgrim.1:

@jintujinta,

Great name - yours! grin

Thanks.

pilgrim.1:

What a blessing this morning! As someone once prayed for me, so I say: "May God Himself bless you with both Hands!" Kai! That prayer has been answered in so many ways for me! cheesy

AMEN!

pilgrim.1:

You were actually being too kind, believe me! I haven't been home (Naija) for sometime now. . . but "home" is with us here in the UK!

A pilgrim, you are truly. May your sojourn be profitable and may you return home with great rewards. (Waa kere oko dele o)
Re: Craze For Title! by pilgrim1(f): 11:54am On Jan 24, 2008
jintujinta:

May your sojourn be profitable and may you return home with great rewards. (Waa kere oko dele o)

Ami - ami - ami . . . lo ruko Jesu!! grin
Re: Craze For Title! by lafile(m): 12:21pm On Jan 24, 2008
Anybody remember His Holiness The Most Honourable Rev Dr King?
Ever heard of 'Prophetic Pastor' So and So?
How about Superior Senior Evangelist?
I wonder when ordinary Pastor became inadequate.

And in addition why do so many pastors in Lagos find it neccesary to change their names? I have heard of one Rev. Dr. Sign Fireman. There is one Apostle Bethel too.
Re: Craze For Title! by cgift(m): 1:16pm On Jan 24, 2008
Me too i like title o! How about calling me , HRH (His Royal Holiness) Arcbishop CGift? Afterall, the bible says we are a royal Priesthood. How about appending what the Bible calls me to my Physical names?
Re: Craze For Title! by lafile(m): 1:22pm On Jan 24, 2008
Chosen Royal Priest Peculiar CGift.
Re: Craze For Title! by cgift(m): 2:36pm On Jan 24, 2008
lafile:

HalleluYah - Yahweh bless you my son grin

On a more serious note, i think the ones of Deacon(esses), for example is not overblown simply because these ones are legally in thebible. I mean they re allowed to typify their roles. Anyone that does not typify a particular role or is not traceable to offices in the scriptures should be discarded e.g. arcbishop! Where hin de for bible?
Re: Craze For Title! by pilgrim1(f): 2:58pm On Jan 24, 2008
lafile:

shocked

I am staggered!! I never would have thot abut it! grin

Okay, here:

The right honourable Cgift, CRPP, PPRC, RPPC, PRPC, (even NNPC sef)!! grin
Re: Craze For Title! by cgift(m): 5:06pm On Jan 24, 2008
pilgrim.1:

The right honourable Cgift, CRPP, PPRC, RPPC, PRPC, (even NNPC sef)!! grin

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I am highly honoured. grin
Re: Craze For Title! by jintujinta(m): 1:55pm On Jan 25, 2008
Hmmmm, have you also noticed this appendage in people's names: "JP" meaning Jerusalem pilgrim. I wonder where it is written in the bible that you must go to Jerusalem to be holy. Now they want the appendage just like you call the visitors to Mecca "Alhaji" can you imagine that? If you don't put it, they will quarrel with you o. (Hisses) Shhhhhhhhh, arrant nonsense!

NB
Pilgrim 1, sorry tell us o, Pilgrim of where are u o? Are you also a Jerusalem pilgrim? wink
Re: Craze For Title! by cybersleek(m): 2:00pm On Jan 25, 2008
Hmmm, Have you never heard it being said that empty barrels make themost noise. God deliver us from praise seekers and men pleasers.
Re: Craze For Title! by cgift(m): 3:50pm On Jan 25, 2008
The day a man of God would insist his members or congregation call him by his name alone, I will respect that man. Imagine Pastor Tunde Bakare telling his members never to call him Pastor but simply Tunde. One man that thrills me most is PAstor Matthew Ashimolowo. Despite rearing many children many of whom have become Bishops, he still insists he is not game for the Bishopric thing and would rather stick to his "pastor" title. Thumbs up for him!
Re: Craze For Title! by pilgrim1(f): 4:21pm On Jan 25, 2008
@jintujinta,

jintujinta:

Hmmmm, have you also noticed this appendage in people's names: "JP" meaning Jerusalem pilgrim.

Erudite observation.

jintujinta:

I wonder where it is written in the bible that you must go to Jerusalem to be holy.

Even after the Lord Jesus has clarified that "neither in this mountain, nor yet at Jerusalem" (John 4:21), dem no go hear! undecided

jintujinta:

Now they want the appendage just like you call the visitors to Mecca "Alhaji" can you imagine that?

I can well imagine. . . afterall, if one visualizes wetin the title of "Alhaji" dey do for body, we go understand! grin

jintujinta:

If you don't put it, they will quarrel with you o. (Hisses) Shhhhhhhhh, arrant nonsense!

I feel you! Some people sef don get scars for the crime of not attaching the appendage when they addressed the owners!

jintujinta:

NB
Pilgrim 1, sorry tell us o, Pilgrim of where are u o? Are you also a Jerusalem pilgrim? wink

Look this guy. . . no let me dash you multiple scars O! tongue

Lol. . . I chose the userID "pilgrim" from Heb. 11:13 and 1 Pet. 2:11. wink
Re: Craze For Title! by cybersleek(m): 5:55pm On Jan 25, 2008
I thought JP meant Justice of the Peace? shocked
Re: Craze For Title! by jintujinta(m): 6:01pm On Jan 25, 2008
cybersleek:

I thought JP meant Justice of the Peace? shocked

Hmm, my brother, for pilgrims to Jerusalem, it means Jerusalem Pilgrims and they insist on having it along with their names o. But dont let them confuse you o. When next you see the appendage ask for clarification. grin
Re: Craze For Title! by pilgrim1(f): 8:01pm On Jan 25, 2008
Okay people, there's no ignoring this "JP" thing any longer:

[list]"Last year approximately 15,000 Nigerian Christians made a pilgrimage to Israel. Many Nigerian pilgrims now affix the initials "JP" - Jerusalem Pilgrim - at the end of their names after their return, in a practice akin to Muslims adding "al Haj" to their names after making a pilgrimage to Mecca." . . . curled from here[/list]

Perhaps what should make us smile benignantly is that the JP thing is not a localized sport anymore - it has been so popularized that even foreign-based media have taken notice.

And if you tink say na small-pikins dey bear the JP title, abeg remove dorti comot for your eye and see why jintujinta has been hissing at 'em all along! grin

Sample them:

(1) This "prof" must have considered it an achievement
to be conferred with the JP title:

Rev (Prof.) Fakae performed the 2006 Christian Pilgrimage to
the Holy Land (Israel) in January, 2006, under the auspices
of the Government of Rivers State, thus the title,
Jerusalem Pilgrim (JP). . . [url=http://www.rivpolyonline.com/Rector's/rector_p3.html]see here[/url]

- - - - - - -

(2) Another "Assistant Director" in the Nigerian Geological Survey
is heralded as having made "outstanding achievements" in the field(s)
of geology, mineral exploration and research. Listed as one of his
"awards" is the 'KSJ', plus the 'JP' - it says:

'Jerusalem Pilgrim (JP). Conferred with the title by
the Mayor of Jerusalem in January 2003,
during visit to the Holy Land on Pilgrimage
(2002 batch from Taraba State, Nigeria).

- - - - - - -

If ogas them in Naija are promoting the 'JP' thingy as a big achievement in their careers, wetin the rest of us go do? Even the people who live in Jerusalem gon-gon no make shakara reach us! grin
Re: Craze For Title! by pilgrim1(f): 8:04pm On Jan 25, 2008
The Associated Press (2006) is quoted in many blogs and online news agencies as having carried a story/article about the JP thing:

[list]Jacob Olupona, a Harvard University expert on African religion, notes that many African Christians, including him, have Old Testament names.

Visiting Israel is so important to Nigerian Christians that many put "J.P." - meaning Jerusalem pilgrim - at the end of their names after they travel to the Jewish state, just as Muslims who make the pilgrimage to Mecca add "al Hajj" to their names, Olupona said.[/list]

Now, for those who have been wondering whatever happened to "JP" as meaning "Justice of the Peace", it would perhaps help relieve their stress to consider that anything Nigerians do very quickly overshadows whatever existed! grin

Or, assuming that you have a large heart to include other extensions of the "JP" saga/titles, consider these:

JP - Jack Pot

JP - Jerusalem Patriarchate

JP - Jet Pilot

JP - Jewish Princess

JP - Junior Police

JP - Junior Professional

JP - Junior Professor

JP - Juvenile Polyposis

JP - Pope John Paul II

You see what our dear jintujinta says:

jintujinta:

When next you see the appendage ask for clarification. grin

If you forget to add the title, jus remember to know which of the "JP" you are referring to before you append it to someon'e name O. . . if you mistakenly address them as "JP" with the pointer to Juvenile Polyposis, I won't be responsible for wetin go follow you! grin

Oh, BTW. . . some of una wey dey struggle to shakara with the "NYSC" appendage should just do a quick re-think! It might so happen that you may be mistaken for what you did not plan for yourself. For such appellations as NYSC, click here - help is on the way!!

Shalom! grin
Re: Craze For Title! by jintujinta(m): 5:03pm On Jan 28, 2008
Hmmm, my sister thank you, please tell them o.

I never knew you were a research fellow now. I think we should add RF to your name too. grin
Re: Craze For Title! by jintujinta(m): 5:05pm On Jan 28, 2008
New York Sports Club! Hmm, no wonder many people end up just playing during the service year. Anyway, i found it a good sport myself!
Re: Craze For Title! by goodguy(m): 5:23pm On Jan 28, 2008
Na Cele own dey vex me pass!  Na there person go dey bear titles like:

- Honorary Evangelist

- Honorary Senior Evangelist

- Senior Evangelist

- Most Senior Evangelist

- Superior Evangelist

- Most Superior Evangelist

- Supreme Evangelist (currently the highest title, with the exception of the very 'heads' who bear "Rev. Prophet Pastor", with some others adding Capt., Dr. and Engr.!! shocked)

Funny thing is, before the demise of the Founder, the highest title that existed anywhere in the world was just "Senior Evangelist".  Even then, one must had attained a certain level in his spirituality before a newer title could be confered on them, as each and everyone of those titles have their spiritual significance.  But what do we have today?

Mehn, I tire for these people o!
Re: Craze For Title! by pilgrim1(f): 6:13pm On Jan 28, 2008
Lol. . . @goodguy,

How body? cheesy

goodguy:

Na Cele own dey vex me pass!

Well, I don't even know where to start from. If I contest that one now, e be like say I fit make you vex pass that! So, I go just maintain jeje. undecided

Some kain titles dey amaze me sef:

~ the "Right" Reverend (others may not be so "right")

~ the "Very" Reverend (e fit pass the above)

~ the "Most" Reverend (na im senior dem all!)

There's more; but I just keep wondering where these titles emanate from and what they have to do with ministers among God's people? undecided
Re: Craze For Title! by goodguy(m): 6:27pm On Jan 28, 2008
pilgrim.1:

Lol. . . @goodguy,

How body? cheesy

Well, I don't even know where to start from. If I contest that one now, e be like say I fit make you vex pass that! So, I go just maintain jeje. undecided

Some kain titles dey amaze me sef:

~ the "Right" Reverend (others may not be so "right")

~ the "Very" Reverend (e fit pass the above)

~ the "Most" Reverend (na im senior them all!)

There's more; but I just keep wondering where these titles emanate from and what they have to do with ministers among God's people? undecided

I dey o. Your post really got me LMAO! grin grin

(1) (Reply)

‍‍‍ ‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍the secrets Of How I Broke Free From Masturbation : you too Can / Christian, What Kind Of Fisherman Are You? / 10 Pictures Some Catholic Members Can Relate To

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.