Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,160 members, 7,825,635 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 07:25 PM

Would You Kill Robbers Attempting To Break In to Your Home? - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Would You Kill Robbers Attempting To Break In to Your Home? (10531 Views)

Man Takes Poison After Son Caught Him Attempting To Rape Daughter / Woman Arrested For Attempting To Use Twins For Fraud / Police Kill Robbers In Gun Duel, Arrest Six Car Snatchers (Picture) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Would You Kill Robbers Attempting To Break In to Your Home? by Ijebulogic(m): 8:39am On Oct 18, 2012
Ever so often, we humans get tested by incidents around us. Despite the anger and disgust most feel for the gruesome murder of the Uniport 4, it raises other moral questions.

Here is the scenario: Its 2am and you are asleep with you wife, new born child and aged mother-in-law. 4 Armed robbers are hacking away at your door screaming that you will be dead tonight if you dont open the door.

Assume you have a licenced shotgun in the house, Would you stand as a man and defend your family by killing all four? If no, what are your options? If Yes, how are you better than the ALUU killers? Its a moral dilemma. Comments please.

1 Like

Re: Would You Kill Robbers Attempting To Break In to Your Home? by Pacify: 9:04am On Oct 18, 2012
I can understand your point of view coming from that angle but I want to be believe that there's a distinct difference between a set of robbers threatening to kill you and the speculation without any proof that some set of boys were robbers. Besides, since the boys were caught, it would have been fair justice to hand them over to the police rather than lynch them in broad day light

23 Likes

Re: Would You Kill Robbers Attempting To Break In to Your Home? by ektbear: 9:07am On Oct 18, 2012
yes....no real dilemma here for me
Re: Would You Kill Robbers Attempting To Break In to Your Home? by Ijebulogic(m): 9:09am On Oct 18, 2012
My brother...Let me clarify o. I'm not saying those boys deserved even 10% of the suffering and pain they went through. My question is a simple one to test our own moral standings. So...would you kill the armed robbers outside your house?

1 Like

Re: Would You Kill Robbers Attempting To Break In to Your Home? by ektbear: 9:10am On Oct 18, 2012
better than aluu killers because they are breaking into my home and directly threatening my life, family, property.

not the same as aluu

1 Like

Re: Would You Kill Robbers Attempting To Break In to Your Home? by bokohalal(m): 9:12am On Oct 18, 2012
The law actually allows you to kill in defence of your live,family and property but not in a situation were you had already disarmed and arrested the intruder.

2 Likes

Re: Would You Kill Robbers Attempting To Break In to Your Home? by Ijebulogic(m): 9:22am On Oct 18, 2012
bokohalal: The law actually allows you to kill in defence of your live,family and property but not in a situation were you had already disarmed and arrested the intruder.

I see your point. I'm interested in knowing specifically what the law says. I know of a recent case where a British man was sentenced to jail for shooting and injuring (not killing) some rascal teenagers attempting to break into his house. There was outrage in the UK but that was the law. Our law is based on UK common law, so please lawyers in the house should guide us on what our rights are in Nigeria.
Re: Would You Kill Robbers Attempting To Break In to Your Home? by SkyBlue1: 9:26am On Oct 18, 2012
No brainer here. I will even pray that I don't miss. Although I wouldn't aim to kill but severly wound and hinder so I can hand them over to the authorities, but if they die in the process then tough luck. Nigeria has made beasts of us all.

8 Likes

Re: Would You Kill Robbers Attempting To Break In to Your Home? by Bawss1(m): 9:35am On Oct 18, 2012
Sure thing. I'd pull the trigger. My conscience would remain unfazed.
Re: Would You Kill Robbers Attempting To Break In to Your Home? by Nobody: 9:40am On Oct 18, 2012
I'll kill them and then re-kill them...

I don't care if the thieves are students, gangsters or cultists..

Some years back on the 3rd of march (a day before my birthday) two guys came to attack me in my room (off-campus hostel) around 7p.m. One hit my head with his canvas while the other drag me down to the floor..
They didn't threaten to kill though but they pointed a gun on my head asking for money, laptop and phone..

If I had a gun that day, I would have killed them...and then send their bones to respective parents..

8 Likes

Re: Would You Kill Robbers Attempting To Break In to Your Home? by SkyBlue1: 9:47am On Oct 18, 2012
acidosis™:
I'll kill them and then re-kill them...

I don't care if the thieves are students, gangsters or cultists..

Some years back on the 3rd of march (a day before my birthday) two guys came to attack me in my room (off-campus hostel) around 7p.m. One hit my head with his canvas while the other drag me down to the floor..
They didn't threaten to kill though but they pointed a gun on my head asking for money, laptop and phone..

If I had a gun that day, I would have killed them...and then send their bones to respective parents..

Canvas? Which kain credit crunch robbing be dat? Ein no see better tin carry hit you for head? Think back now, you sure say na even real gun dey bin use or na hand dey carry point?
Re: Would You Kill Robbers Attempting To Break In to Your Home? by Ijebulogic(m): 9:47am On Oct 18, 2012
Sky Blue: No brainer here. I will even pray that I don't miss. Although I wouldn't aim to kill but severly wound and hinder so I can hand them over to the authorities, but if they die in the process then tough luck. Nigeria has made beasts of us all.

Sad but very true....
Re: Would You Kill Robbers Attempting To Break In to Your Home? by Nobody: 10:09am On Oct 18, 2012
@OP
You shouldn't mix apples and oranges. The scenario you gave is completely different from what happened to these 4 students.
1) an armed robber is committing a serious crime while these 4 boys only crime was to "supposedly" steal something (focus on SUPPOSEDLY)

2) killing the armed robbers would be self defense because you would be in a situation where you believed that your life (or that of your family) was in danger, while these 4 boys never threatened anyone's life.

3) if you actually believe that what happened to these boys was RIGHT (aka killing innocent people because of your own selfish beliefs), then you would obviously also believe that what BH is doing is also RIGHT.

5 Likes

Re: Would You Kill Robbers Attempting To Break In to Your Home? by Nobody: 10:12am On Oct 18, 2012
Sky Blue:

Canvas? Which kain credit crunch robbing be dat? Ein no see better tin carry hit you for head? Think back now, you sure say na even real gun dey bin use or na hand dey carry point?
lol... abeg nor vex.. I mistook "canvas" with "shoe".. The shoe is a hard one, sincerely.. cos I felt the pain so strong.
About the authenticity ? I doubt it too initially but I heard sporadic gunshots few minutes later and it was confirmed by neigbours..

and... e be like say pesin neva point gun for your head before sha... if it make pesin piss for bodi ooo... i pray make you no experience am.. smiley

1 Like

Re: Would You Kill Robbers Attempting To Break In to Your Home? by Ijebulogic(m): 10:59am On Oct 18, 2012
MRbrownJAY: @OP
You shouldn't mix apples and oranges. The scenario you gave is completely different from what happened to these 4 students.
1) an armed robber is committing a serious crime while these 4 boys only crime was to "supposedly" steal something (focus on SUPPOSEDLY)

2) killing the armed robbers would be self defense because you would be in a situation where you believed that your life (or that of your family) was in danger, while these 4 boys never threatened anyone's life.

3) if you actually believe that what happened to these boys was RIGHT (aka killing innocent people because of your own selfish beliefs), then you would obviously also believe that what BH is doing is also RIGHT.

Please see my earlier clarifications. I along with millions of others detest the cold-blooded murder of the Uniport4 boys. The UNIPORT 4 are "referenced" in this post and not the TOPIC of the post. The topic and question is - would you kill robbers that are outside your house attempting to gain entry? Note that they are still outside your house, shouting threats "we will kill you today", you havent seen their weapons yet. Would you face a moral dilemma to pump them with bullets? I know people who will not kill despite the circumstances (their own belief system doesnt allow it). Even in self defence. I know others who will kill (depending on the circumstances). So sir....would you shoot or not?
Re: Would You Kill Robbers Attempting To Break In to Your Home? by Afam4eva(m): 11:13am On Oct 18, 2012
I would kill them all and feel no remorse.
Re: Would You Kill Robbers Attempting To Break In to Your Home? by Nobody: 11:18am On Oct 18, 2012
Definetly kill the moda4kas.......... cool cool coolits kill or be killed! embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Would You Kill Robbers Attempting To Break In to Your Home? by Pennywise(m): 11:20am On Oct 18, 2012
@OP
If I see them outside my gate, I will put down all four of them if I can and thereafter haul their bodies into my compound for the police to remove (that would be after the dogs have had their fill).

So you can 4get about anyone trying to hack down my front door.
Re: Would You Kill Robbers Attempting To Break In to Your Home? by bigx(m): 11:25am On Oct 18, 2012
In this case, it would be self defence. For the aluu case, it was murder.
Re: Would You Kill Robbers Attempting To Break In to Your Home? by Nobody: 11:26am On Oct 18, 2012
An ARMED robbery by it's very nature posses a threat to your life. Just like kidnapping.

The obvious implied threat in both cases is that if you don't comply, you or your loved ones will be hurt.

I have no moral qualms whatsoever in preemptively protecting myself and my loved ones.

YES, I will shoot - even if you're still outside my gates.
Re: Would You Kill Robbers Attempting To Break In to Your Home? by Nobody: 11:29am On Oct 18, 2012
Robbers?? I'll hide my wife and daughters..
Den keep small cash for dem.

Asassin?? I'll gv dem head shots!
Re: Would You Kill Robbers Attempting To Break In to Your Home? by sandysprax(m): 11:29am On Oct 18, 2012
I hope it's not an armed robber that is asking this question. This is not rocket science now is it?

If Ghana invades Nigeria for instance, will our military sit back and fold their arms? Of course not.

I Will shoot to disable and disarm though but if u die in the process; life goes on.

2 Likes

Re: Would You Kill Robbers Attempting To Break In to Your Home? by Nobody: 11:30am On Oct 18, 2012
No! I would rather escape and call the police!
Re: Would You Kill Robbers Attempting To Break In to Your Home? by Flexskillz(m): 11:31am On Oct 18, 2012
In the face of imminent threat to my life and family, i would do anything in acting in defence. But for the scenario that you painted, if they have not gained entry, then i will shoot in the air to scare them away. But in the event that they have gained entry and the situation is life threatening...a gun pointed at me, i will shoot without hestitation. Not to kill though but if the person or they die in the process; tough luck.
Dont pray to be in that situation again sha, cos ive been before with a gun pointed at my head. They beat my dad silly, and though they didnt shoot in our house, we heard shots later in some other compound in the neighbouhood. They almost even raped my younger sis if not for God‘s intervention.
It wasnt funny at all.
Re: Would You Kill Robbers Attempting To Break In to Your Home? by yinchar(m): 11:31am On Oct 18, 2012
SAY AM CALLOUS.....as for me, no good human being will attempt to injure, maim, or kill another person, for the ALUU boys to be trying to injure somebody or whatever at an ungodly hour, even the slightest intention makes them guilty, they are simply guilty of the said offence either its true or not, they have the intention, thats why they are caught with AXE at 2am, for me jungle justice is still the best form in this our criminal-ridden society if its done quick and fast, i repeat quick and fast, I didn't support the parading and torment the ALUU 4 went through, but in my own opinion, it will serve as a lesson to others...

2 Likes

Re: Would You Kill Robbers Attempting To Break In to Your Home? by Souljaboi1: 11:32am On Oct 18, 2012
Wow, i dreamt of such a scenario recently....

My my, i aimed for their right hands and legs with this.....

Don't blame me, i grew up seeing guns everyday... wink

Re: Would You Kill Robbers Attempting To Break In to Your Home? by cold(m): 11:36am On Oct 18, 2012
Ijebulogic:

I see your point. I'm interested in knowing specifically what the law says. I know of a recent case where a British man was sentenced to jail for shooting and injuring (not killing) some rascal teenagers attempting to break into his house. There was outrage in the UK but that was the law. Our law is based on UK common law, so please lawyers in the house should guide us on what our rights are in Nigeria.

You're being economical with the truth here. Can we see the story of the guy that went to jail based on the action you described above? Because i am aware even as early as last week Cameron reiterated that no one would be prosecuted for protecting his familyin so far as the action taken in defence is proportionate to the crime.
Therein lies the difference between being robbed and the actions perpetrated by the killers of the Aluu4.
If you're interested in what the Nigerian law says on robbery,crime,self defence & sundry matters,go look it up in the Laws of the Federation of Nigeria 1990,as ammended. Section 430-subsection (a)-(f) i think
Re: Would You Kill Robbers Attempting To Break In to Your Home? by pingo(m): 11:37am On Oct 18, 2012
Yes, if the thief did something heinous and at that i will have to move out of the building chaply with immediate effect!!!
Re: Would You Kill Robbers Attempting To Break In to Your Home? by Nobody: 11:38am On Oct 18, 2012
Imanuelle: Robbers?? I'll hide my wife and daughters..
Den keep small cash for dem

Asassin?? I'll gv dem head shots!

Except you're outnumbered, out-gunned and there's nothing you can possibly do.

It would be totally ret@rded of me to even begin to consider letting a bunch of sociopaths into my my home when I have effective options. Not all armed robberies where the robbed complied completely always end well.

If my wife and children are remotely at risk...I'll even bomb the fuckers in their homes cool.
Re: Would You Kill Robbers Attempting To Break In to Your Home? by Souljaboi1: 11:40am On Oct 18, 2012

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

VIDEO: NDLEA Seizes Illicit Drugs Concealed In Vehicles Parts / EFCC Secures Seven Convictions In Abeokuta, Ibadan / Video Now Available: Bird Flying Turns Into A Old Witch Woman In Lagos(pic+video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.