Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,651 members, 7,809,457 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:59 AM

Things You Should Always Buy Used... - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Things You Should Always Buy Used... (14372 Views)

Pls Pls Can Any1 Tell Me Where I Can Buy Used Plasma Flat Screens / Sites To Buy Used BB And Laptop Online. / WHERE Can I Buy Used Bb, Iphone And Ipad Online (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Things You Should Always Buy Used... by rodeo0070(m): 7:16am On Oct 19, 2012
Certain products don’t hold up as well to wear and tear and should probably be bought new most of the time. Think car tires or underwear, for instance. But other products are much cheaper when bought second-hand despite experiencing little reduction in quality, so it would be crazy not to at least consider buying them used.

Video games
These days most video games have extensive multiplayer modes, many of which will keep people playing for months and even years after they buy. But many gamers will nevertheless tire of a game shortly after completing the single-player campaign, and with even the longest games rarely taking more than 50 hours to complete, used games tend to flood the secondary market shortly after a game is released. That means big savings for patient gamers.

There are exceptions, of course. You’ll want to check on the condition of the disc inside the package to make sure it’s not scratched, and you may also want to price compare.

Cars
Obviously when you buy a used car you’re running the risk of ending up with a lemon, but the economics of the car market make it hard to pass up. “New cars depreciate by thousands the second you drive them out of the dealership,” says Brad Wilson of deal site BradsDeals.com. “Just never be an idiot and buy a car without having it inspected by your own trusted mechanic.”

As Wilson suggests, you’ll want to cover all your bases before buying a used car. You should also keep in mind that cars depreciate at different rates, so to maximise value you’ll want to get a used car that will hold its value well.

Books
We can understand wanting to grab a new book the day it comes out if it’s the latest instalment of a series you’ve been following. But other than that, you should at least wait for the paperback, and unless there are pages missing you’re better off saving a bundle by finding it used. And if you’re really patient, just wait for it to land in a library and borrow it for free.

We know it might be tough to wait that long, but look at it this way: There’s no way you’ll ever read all the books in the world, so while you wait for it to end up in your local used bookstore you can borrow a book from the library to tide you over. Textbooks in particular are best to buy used.

Textbooks are only used for a semester; you’ll abuse them and never want to see them again. Plus, the new books cost astronomically more, and you’ll never get back anything near what you paid for them during resale.

Furniture
We’ve always found a ton of used furniture on the market in big cities, where people who don’t want to bring their heavy furniture to a new apartment will put it at a huge discount. Experts advise that staying away from upholstered furniture such as couches, as it’s difficult to clean and could harbour bedbugs. Instead, go with furniture that can easily be scrubbed.

Instruments
Buy old musical instruments used – not only because it’s much cheaper than buying new, but because they can have surprising resale value down the line. Older instruments are often more in demand by collectors. Even if you don’t intend to sell the instrument at some point down the line, it’s still a great value proposition. Classical instruments don’t change much, if at all, technology wise, and most musicians will say ‘they just don’t make them like they used to.

http://www.mainstreet.com/slideshow/smart-spending/bargains/deals/10-things-you-should-always-buy-used

2 Likes

Re: Things You Should Always Buy Used... by kulboy(m): 9:36am On Oct 19, 2012
Seconded
Re: Things You Should Always Buy Used... by Nobody: 9:36am On Oct 19, 2012
Should condoms be bought used or unused

6 Likes

Re: Things You Should Always Buy Used... by ebamma(m): 9:41am On Oct 19, 2012
I don read am finish now wetin you wan make we do for you?

4 Likes

Re: Things You Should Always Buy Used... by acidtalk: 9:44am On Oct 19, 2012
Imanuelle: Should condoms be bought used or unused

Scout for it from waste bin around your neighborhood.
Why pay for it when you can get it for free in the waste bin.

4 Likes

Re: Things You Should Always Buy Used... by slimyem: 9:45am On Oct 19, 2012
Strongly agree about almost all that except i'm a bit skeptical about cars though...
Re: Things You Should Always Buy Used... by free2ryhme: 9:46am On Oct 19, 2012
second hand clothes ( okirika) is not included here oooooundecided

2 Likes

Re: Things You Should Always Buy Used... by decode55(m): 9:46am On Oct 19, 2012
ebamma: I don read am finish now wetin you wan make we do for you?
lol
Re: Things You Should Always Buy Used... by ignis: 9:47am On Oct 19, 2012
OLODO.... See where your brain first go.

1 Like

Re: Things You Should Always Buy Used... by Nobody: 9:56am On Oct 19, 2012
@op: wat of babes? Should be on ur list, since u can hardly get a new one anyway...

11 Likes

Re: Things You Should Always Buy Used... by AlterEgoTM: 9:58am On Oct 19, 2012
Where that thread about Things Broke People Say grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Things You Should Always Buy Used... by Burger01(m): 10:04am On Oct 19, 2012
In fact 'car' comes first. reasonable to buy used...
Re: Things You Should Always Buy Used... by jamace(m): 10:04am On Oct 19, 2012
Justosaus: @op: wat of babes? Should be on ur list, since u can hardly get a new one anyway...
grin grin
Re: Things You Should Always Buy Used... by passionate88: 10:15am On Oct 19, 2012
ignis:
OLODO.... See where your brain first go.
badt gal, see wetin u 1st notice

3 Likes

Re: Things You Should Always Buy Used... by Nobody: 10:16am On Oct 19, 2012
New cars are better though expensive.
Re: Things You Should Always Buy Used... by Nobody: 10:16am On Oct 19, 2012
I think used wife or girlfriend isn't good at all!
Re: Things You Should Always Buy Used... by Nobody: 10:21am On Oct 19, 2012
Should we also buy "Old Layers"?
Re: Things You Should Always Buy Used... by chucky234(m): 10:27am On Oct 19, 2012
Used car any day,once bought a car as clean as new with odometer of 6,000 at crazy price and sold at almost same price after using it for 12 months. That's what a call crazy bargain.
Re: Things You Should Always Buy Used... by shewanna: 10:27am On Oct 19, 2012
You didn't include used Gold jewelries..
It is as good as new when you buy and wash it.

3 Likes

Re: Things You Should Always Buy Used... by ol2012: 10:34am On Oct 19, 2012
Omo buruku!
Re: Things You Should Always Buy Used... by kavey10(m): 10:34am On Oct 19, 2012
Used Nairaland handle, I have tons of them.(Seun, I'm just kidding)It should be on that list.

1 Like

Re: Things You Should Always Buy Used... by 7footre(m): 10:38am On Oct 19, 2012
kulboy: Seconded
Thirded!
Re: Things You Should Always Buy Used... by ochukoccna: 10:42am On Oct 19, 2012
What of laptops?
And electronics?
Especially manufacturer refurbished ones undecided undecided
Re: Things You Should Always Buy Used... by oiseworld: 10:43am On Oct 19, 2012
what about used toothbrush, and braizilian hair? Heard they from dead people.

1 Like

Re: Things You Should Always Buy Used... by Nobody: 10:44am On Oct 19, 2012
acidtalk:

Scout for it from waste bin around your neighborhood.
Why pay for it when you can get it for free in the waste bin.

No b for my use º°˚ !
I juz wanna sell it off!
Re: Things You Should Always Buy Used... by Nobody: 10:45am On Oct 19, 2012
ol2012: Omo buruku!

Omo Ale!
Re: Things You Should Always Buy Used... by Nobody: 10:47am On Oct 19, 2012
ebamma: I don read am finish now wetin you wan make we do for you?
ARE YOU ALWAYS HIGH? SMH!
Re: Things You Should Always Buy Used... by timbros(m): 10:50am On Oct 19, 2012
Op i agree with all except the furniture part. Why will i buy used furniture? Mehn i cant even imagine that...

2 Likes

Re: Things You Should Always Buy Used... by Youngzedd(m): 10:51am On Oct 19, 2012
Many things not mentioned.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

5 Trusted Sites To Do Mini Jobs Online 2 Earn 10k Daily / The Most Important Skills You Will Need As An Online Entrepreneur / 4 Things You Need To Make Money Online - Online Business Secrets

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.