Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,177 members, 7,815,132 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:54 AM

Reasons Why Start-up Businesses Fail & How To Avoid Them - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Reasons Why Start-up Businesses Fail & How To Avoid Them (10836 Views)

The Reasons Why Most Online Businesses Fail In Nigeria / Why Small Businesses Fail In Nigeria / Why Do Businesses Fail In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reasons Why Start-up Businesses Fail & How To Avoid Them by cowgurl: 7:32pm On Oct 23, 2012
Thank you BrandKing but is it right?
Re: Reasons Why Start-up Businesses Fail & How To Avoid Them by princeonx: 7:33pm On Oct 23, 2012
Booty4me: YEA SECOND TO COMMENT cool ALWAYS SECOND
And what was your comment? Or contribution? Or am I missing something?
Re: Reasons Why Start-up Businesses Fail & How To Avoid Them by lagcity(m): 7:35pm On Oct 23, 2012
avalontony: WHAT ABOUT GOD FACTOR?

Fork outta here!!!
Re: Reasons Why Start-up Businesses Fail & How To Avoid Them by Rooneyboy(m): 7:41pm On Oct 23, 2012
omiobo: Lack of feasibility studies
Lack of investment appraisaL
Inability to carry SWOT analysis of the environment

u are absolutely correct on this.
Most people tend to rush into businesses they aren't familiar with all because they see Mr A doing the business and successful @ it.
Re: Reasons Why Start-up Businesses Fail & How To Avoid Them by Rooneyboy(m): 7:42pm On Oct 23, 2012
lagcity:

Fork outta here!!!
Nice reply bro.
We africans and God every time
Re: Reasons Why Start-up Businesses Fail & How To Avoid Them by Krucifax(m): 7:43pm On Oct 23, 2012
By feasibility studies you actually mean a Market Audit.
It is a misnomer to say "SWOT" analysis of the environment.(A mistake many people make)
You CAN NOT do a SWOT of the environment a SWOT analysis is only applicable to the business in relation to the Market,Current Competition and Status of Goods/Services on offer(or to be offered).

omiobo: Lack of feasibility studies
Lack of investment appraisaL
Inability to carry SWOT analysis of the environment
Re: Reasons Why Start-up Businesses Fail & How To Avoid Them by Rooneyboy(m): 7:48pm On Oct 23, 2012
prince_onx:
And what was your comment? Or contribution? Or am I missing something?

don't mind that fella , something u ought to know about NL is that a good number of contributors are retards.
Most times they are usually in confinement and have only the laptop as their companion.
Re: Reasons Why Start-up Businesses Fail & How To Avoid Them by Krucifax(m): 7:50pm On Oct 23, 2012
A good set of Reasons of which there are many more.

I would add an Eleventh, which i think is also very important.

11.Hiring the right people.

With all the proper planning, strategising, funding, analysis in the world a business is only as good as the people it hires. If you have a skilled, hardworking, knowledgeable and DEDICATED group of workers then chances of successes are increased. The reverse is the case when you have poor quality staff.

BrandKing: 10 REASONS WHY START-UP BUSINESSES FAIL
"For entrepreneurs -- especially those just starting out -- businesses succeed as much as they fail. But Statistics have proven that the failure rate for new startups within the first five years is as high as 50 percent.
Of course, real entrepreneurs treat business failure as a milestone on the road to success. They count on learning from their mistakes, and use the experience to move to the next idea. But why not learn from the mistakes of others, without all the pain and suffering?
Below is my list of 10 top startup failure causes -- and how to avoid them:

1.No written plan.
Don’t ever believe that a business plan isn’t worth the effort or not necessary. The discipline of writing down a plan is the best way to make sure you actually understand how to transform your idea into a business.

2.Slim or no revenue model.
Even a non-profit has to generate revenue (or donations) to offset operating costs. If your product is free, or you lose money on every sale, it’s hard to make it up in volume. You may have the solution to world hunger, but if your customers have no money, your business won’t last long.

3.Limited business opportunities.

Not every good idea can become a blockbuster business. Just because you passionately believe that your product or service is great, and everyone needs it, doesn’t mean that everyone will buy it. There is no substitute for market research, to supplement your informal poll of friends and family.

4.Can’t execute.
An idea alone is really worth nothing. It’s all about the execution. If you’re not comfortable making hard decisions and taking risks, you won’t do well in that business.

5.Too much competition.
Having no competitors is a red flag -- it may mean there’s no market -- but finding so many competitors may be a sign that it is also over crowded.

6.No intellectual property.
If you expect to seek investors, or you expect to have a sustainable competitive advantage against giants in your industry, you need to register for patents, trademarks and copyrights, as well as enlist non-compete and non-disclosure agreements to protect trade secrets. Intellectual property is also often the largest element of early-stage company valuations for professional investors.

We have the Copyright and Trade mark commission in Abuja and Lagos where you can secure you r patent or ideas with a minimal cost.

7.An inexperienced team.
In reality, investors fund people, not ideas. They look for people with real experience in the business domain of the startup, and people with real experience running a startup. If this is your first time around, find a partner who has “been there and done that” to balance your passion and bring experience to the team.

8.Underestimating resource requirements.

A major resource is cash funding, but other resources, such as industry contacts and access to marketing channels may be more important for certain products. Having too much cash, not managed wisely, can be just as devastating as too little cash. Don’t quit your day job until new revenue is flowing.

9.Not enough marketing.
Having a slick word-of-mouth marketing strategy isn’t enough to make your product and brand visible in the relentless onslaught of new media out there today. Even viral marketing costs real money and time. Without effective and innovative marketing across the range of media, you won’t have customers -- or a business.

10. Giving in too early.
The most common cause of startup failure is the entrepreneur just gets tired, gives up and shuts down the company. Despite setbacks, many successful entrepreneurs like Steve Jobs and Thomas Edison kept slugging away on their vision until they found success.

www.niromanddoch.com
Re: Reasons Why Start-up Businesses Fail & How To Avoid Them by BrandKing: 7:53pm On Oct 23, 2012
cowgurl: Thank you BrandKing but is it right?

Of course.
That's why there are Business Consultants (like us) to handle such.

Such like people pay others to do their websites and write accounting and HR softwares for them, it is the same way you can pay a professional to write your Business Plan, Proposal, Sales and Marketing Strategy, Customer/Staff/Vendor agreement letters and many more.

To get a unique and well writen Business Plan, I advice you give it out to a Business Consultant to handle.
Re: Reasons Why Start-up Businesses Fail & How To Avoid Them by vitality33: 8:00pm On Oct 23, 2012
pls i need an advice from somone who has bin into dis business. i want to start an attachment and weavon business. and also other students accessories. wer can i buy dem cheap in order to start selln dem in retail prices. tnk u
Re: Reasons Why Start-up Businesses Fail & How To Avoid Them by princeonx: 8:12pm On Oct 23, 2012
Rooneyboy:

don't mind that fella , something u ought to know about NL is that a good number of contributors are retards.
Most times they are usually in confinement and have only the laptop as their companion.
Lol! You dey vex oh lol!
Re: Reasons Why Start-up Businesses Fail & How To Avoid Them by GentleNaaz(m): 8:24pm On Oct 23, 2012
Yea, i hv acquired mor knwldg on my prospectv enterpreneurshp. Wn i start it by few yrs after i graduate, i cn neva gv up until i go....... My lord wl c me tru. My prospective products r canned water, canned yoghurt,etc
Re: Reasons Why Start-up Businesses Fail & How To Avoid Them by BrandKing: 8:34pm On Oct 23, 2012
vitality33: pls i need an advice from somone who has bin into dis business. i want to start an attachment and weavon business. and also other students accessories. wer can i buy dem cheap in order to start selln dem in retail prices. tnk u

It depends on your current location.
I will suggest you buy them from DIRECT IMPORTERS. Most of them are located in Trade fair complex along Mile 2 ojo road. Also the student accesories are gotten from Importers in Lagos Island depending on what exactly you need.

Do me a mail : info@niromanddoch.com

www.niromanddoch.com
Business Consulting

www.nirominteractivesolutions.com
Websites and Brand Works.
Re: Reasons Why Start-up Businesses Fail & How To Avoid Them by cowgurl: 8:55pm On Oct 23, 2012
Many thanks BrandKing.
Re: Reasons Why Start-up Businesses Fail & How To Avoid Them by waice6571: 9:13pm On Oct 23, 2012
Never pretend to be wiser than the market trend, l mean don't play against the rule of the market.
Re: Reasons Why Start-up Businesses Fail & How To Avoid Them by Nobody: 9:20pm On Oct 23, 2012
All the listed points are genuine. It is very important for every business to have proposed and detailed plan written in black and white and not in the owners heart. Presently, I know a business that is suffering because the owner refuse to consider all the poster's points after spending millions on the new business.
Re: Reasons Why Start-up Businesses Fail & How To Avoid Them by omiobo: 9:38pm On Oct 23, 2012
Krucifax: By feasibility studies you actually mean a Market Audit.
It is a misnomer to say "SWOT" analysis of the environment.(A mistake many people make)
You CAN NOT do a SWOT of the environment a SWOT analysis is only applicable to the business in relation to the Market,Current Competition and Status of Goods/Services on offer(or to be offered).

I didn't get you. Are you telling me SWOT analysis is not applicable to business and its environment?
Re: Reasons Why Start-up Businesses Fail & How To Avoid Them by Krucifax(m): 10:01pm On Oct 23, 2012
For the benefit of readers that might be wondering, a SWOT analysis is a Marketing term meaning Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, Threats. What i said was it was “applicable” to the “business” You said a SWOT analysis of the environment, technically that’s incorrect. Check any Business, Marketing or Accounting textbook.
You can do a Market Audit THEN make a Marketing Plan(different from Business Plan) at the end you do a SWOT analysis of the business.
In lay terms SWOT analysis can be considered an MOT of the business; it tells you the standing of the Business NOT the Environment.

omiobo:

I didn't get you. Are you telling me SWOT analysis is not applicable to business and its environment?
Re: Reasons Why Start-up Businesses Fail & How To Avoid Them by Nobody: 10:24pm On Oct 23, 2012
May i also add LACK OF WILLPOWER TO SUCCEED.
Re: Reasons Why Start-up Businesses Fail & How To Avoid Them by akintun: 10:53pm On Oct 23, 2012
No 4, 5, and 10 seems ok, but d remaining points have been proven wrong. Infact I have seen examples of why u should not do some of d points listed.
Re: Reasons Why Start-up Businesses Fail & How To Avoid Them by Omexonomy: 8:47am On Oct 24, 2012
Sophiegurl: 11. Going into a biz u are actually not interested in, but because pple say they are making money from it u dabble into it.
i had made that mistake and seriously regreted it
Re: Reasons Why Start-up Businesses Fail & How To Avoid Them by purplekayc(m): 3:46pm On Oct 24, 2012
Good 1
Re: Reasons Why Start-up Businesses Fail & How To Avoid Them by Nobody: 5:33am On Sep 05, 2015
Great list!

I agree with you on execution. Ideas don't run by
themselves. People have to make them work by
acting on them.

However by acting, one risks making mistakes.

And that's why I'll like to add "Not learning from
mistakes" to your list.

Every business makes mistakes; yes, even the
businesses that succeed. The only difference is
they are bold enough to pick themselves up, learn
the needed lessons, and move on.

All the successful entrepreneurs we know- Dangote,
Branson, Disney, etc- all had periods where they
failed. But they learned their lessons and moved
on.

The unsuccessful businessman makes one mistake and
he believes the world is over, or that some
witches in his village have finally succeeded.
Instead of looking for how to make it work, he
just gives up... and becomes yet another failed
business statistic.

Thanks again for the post.

BrandKing:
10 REASONS WHY START-UP BUSINESSES FAIL
"For entrepreneurs -- especially those just starting out -- businesses succeed as much as they fail. But Statistics have proven that the failure rate for new startups within the first five years is as high as 50 percent.
Of course, real entrepreneurs treat business failure as a milestone on the road to success. They count on learning from their mistakes, and use the experience to move to the next idea. But why not learn from the mistakes of others, without all the pain and suffering?
Below is my list of 10 top startup failure causes -- and how to avoid them:

1.No written plan.
Don’t ever believe that a business plan isn’t worth the effort or not necessary. The discipline of writing down a plan is the best way to make sure you actually understand how to transform your idea into a business.

2.Slim or no revenue model.
Even a non-profit has to generate revenue (or donations) to offset operating costs. If your product is free, or you lose money on every sale, it’s hard to make it up in volume. You may have the solution to world hunger, but if your customers have no money, your business won’t last long.

3.Limited business opportunities.

Not every good idea can become a blockbuster business. Just because you passionately believe that your product or service is great, and everyone needs it, doesn’t mean that everyone will buy it. There is no substitute for market research, to supplement your informal poll of friends and family.

4.Can’t execute.
An idea alone is really worth nothing. It’s all about the execution. If you’re not comfortable making hard decisions and taking risks, you won’t do well in that business.

5.Too much competition.
Having no competitors is a red flag -- it may mean there’s no market -- but finding so many competitors may be a sign that it is also over crowded.

6.No intellectual property.
If you expect to seek investors, or you expect to have a sustainable competitive advantage against giants in your industry, you need to register for patents, trademarks and copyrights, as well as enlist non-compete and non-disclosure agreements to protect trade secrets. Intellectual property is also often the largest element of early-stage company valuations for professional investors.

We have the Copyright and Trade mark commission in Abuja and Lagos where you can secure you r patent or ideas with a minimal cost.

7.An inexperienced team.
In reality, investors fund people, not ideas. They look for people with real experience in the business domain of the startup, and people with real experience running a startup. If this is your first time around, find a partner who has “been there and done that” to balance your passion and bring experience to the team.

8.Underestimating resource requirements.

A major resource is cash funding, but other resources, such as industry contacts and access to marketing channels may be more important for certain products. Having too much cash, not managed wisely, can be just as devastating as too little cash. Don’t quit your day job until new revenue is flowing.

9.Not enough marketing.
Having a slick word-of-mouth marketing strategy isn’t enough to make your product and brand visible in the relentless onslaught of new media out there today. Even viral marketing costs real money and time. Without effective and innovative marketing across the range of media, you won’t have customers -- or a business.

10. Giving in too early.
The most common cause of startup failure is the entrepreneur just gets tired, gives up and shuts down the company. Despite setbacks, many successful entrepreneurs like Steve Jobs and Thomas Edison kept slugging away on their vision until they found success.

www.niromanddoch.com

(1) (2) (Reply)

Urgent:Mack tipping / Howo Trucks Needed / Do's And Dont Of Importation / Fire Guts Port-harcourt Major Market

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.