Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,603 members, 7,823,619 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:31 PM

I'm A Child Of Destiny- Chioma Ajunwa - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / I'm A Child Of Destiny- Chioma Ajunwa (7663 Views)

Picture Of Chioma Ajunwa And Her Triplets / Chioma Ajunwa (First Olympic Gold Medalist) Delivers Triplets / VIDEO: Nigeria Only Independent Gold Medalist - Chioma Ajunwa Interviewed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I'm A Child Of Destiny- Chioma Ajunwa by lekanolas: 4:32pm On Oct 20, 2012
A few weeks after the news of her promotion to the post of a Divisional Police Officer broke; she became the mother of a set of triplets, two boys and a girl. Nigeria’s queen of the track, Chioma Ajunwa-Opara, spoke with YEMISI ADENIRAN on the joy of motherhood, her sports exploits and lots more. Excerpts

You have achieved rare feats having won Olympic gold, become a DPO and now mother of triplets. What would you attribute it to?

There is nothing and no one to attribute it to than God Almighty. He is the God of possibilities who has been steadfastly on my side since I started my race on earth. I was the last born of nine children born by Mr. and Mrs. James Ajunwa. I was not born with a silver spoon in my mouth and that was why I did not complete my education as early as it was supposed to have been.

In 1988 when I completed my secondary education, I wrote JAMB, I passed but instead of my mother to be jump in excitement, she wept. This is not because she was not happy for me but because there was no money to send me to the university.

Of course, I lost the opportunity and couldn’t further my education again. Life hasn’t been easy but I thank God that He has been there for me. I was called into the Police Force that same year; in August precisely.

Alongside this, I was into sports and started beating everyone in my team such that in no time, I became a golden fish that had no hiding place. As I was winning championships in sports, I was being promoted in the Police Force. I cannot explain it myself and that is why the said achievements so far, can only be attributed to some special preference I enjoyed from God.

To the glory of God Almighty, the helpless girl of that fateful year whose future appeared bleak is now living a fulfilled life. I can’t thank God enough.

To the praise of God, I am the ninth child of my parents, the last born and amazingly, the bread winner. I can never stop praising God. As for the blessing of my babies, it is just another evidence of God’s special love for me. I serve a God who is big and is always doing big, big things for me. He has never left me nor looked down on me despite my weaknesses.

That’s why I always tell people that I am a child of destiny. Everything I have today, I have by the grace of God Almighty.

How did it feel when you won gold at the Atlanta Olympics in 1996?

I was humbled. I didn’t think I was going to win any medal least of all gold. All I did then was to put in my best and stood out. Before the event, some of my friends had told me they dreamt of me winning a gold medal and I simply told them they must have suffered from malaria fever. I mean, with all the big athletes around, how could they have gone to have such a dream. I simply waved it off.

It was not as if I felt inferior to them, but honestly, I wasn’t expecting a gold medal. When I won it, I did not know what it meant until I got to Nigeria and saw the crowd.

When I saw the caliber of people and the number, I ran back. I was scared, I asked my coach what that was all for and he said it was all because of the gold medal I won. He said Nigeria didn’t win in it in 52 years, so, it was a big record I broke. The crowd was something else. The fame, the goodwill that came with it is awesome. I thank God for all.

As a child, did you envisage any of the two careers you found yourself doing now?

http://nationalmirroronline.net/new/saturday-mirror/woman/im-a-child-of-destiny-chioma-ajunwa/

3 Likes

Re: I'm A Child Of Destiny- Chioma Ajunwa by slimming: 7:47pm On Oct 20, 2012
Me too, am an aurhority here on earth
Re: I'm A Child Of Destiny- Chioma Ajunwa by Kemy11(m): 7:48pm On Oct 20, 2012
First to comment.... Children know where u come from cuz ma ppl said aku ruo uno amara onye kpatara ya
Re: I'm A Child Of Destiny- Chioma Ajunwa by Nobody: 7:49pm On Oct 20, 2012
Uh oh , hope this doesnt encourage illiterates to mass reproduce 10 kids and above till one 'bread-wins'
Re: I'm A Child Of Destiny- Chioma Ajunwa by Nobody: 7:54pm On Oct 20, 2012
She's right. Chioma is an Icon. I remember Atlanta '96 like it was yesterday; Nigeria's first Olympic Gold Medalist. I love her!

A child of destiny is what she is. She can do no wrong as far as I am concerned. . .no questions asked.

3 Likes

Re: I'm A Child Of Destiny- Chioma Ajunwa by nedu2000(m): 7:56pm On Oct 20, 2012
Still in the police,I never see am for road o,lolzzz
Re: I'm A Child Of Destiny- Chioma Ajunwa by Sijo01(f): 8:01pm On Oct 20, 2012
Indeed you are. Keep enjoying His grace.

3 Likes

Re: I'm A Child Of Destiny- Chioma Ajunwa by Sijo01(f): 8:04pm On Oct 20, 2012
Kemy11: First to comment.... Children know where u come from cuz ma ppl said aku ruo uno amara onye kpatara ya

first to comment?..... Where your gold medal?

2 Likes

Re: I'm A Child Of Destiny- Chioma Ajunwa by salafiyy: 8:05pm On Oct 20, 2012
I must tell, you are not gratful to your Lord! because you are still associating partners with...not untill you're able to differenciate between GOD and JESUS and do the right...therefore, I pray He guides you and your kinds
Re: I'm A Child Of Destiny- Chioma Ajunwa by DANILSA(m): 8:07pm On Oct 20, 2012
Kemy11: First to comment.... Children know where u come from cuz ma ppl said aku ruo uno amara onye kpatara ya
YOU SURE? grin grin grin UWAUDE wink
Re: I'm A Child Of Destiny- Chioma Ajunwa by Nobody: 8:12pm On Oct 20, 2012
Yes oh! God is indeed faithful to those who trust in Him.if u see what He is doing 4 mua...ihe neme! I am a child of destiny too
Re: I'm A Child Of Destiny- Chioma Ajunwa by kenysbabe(f): 8:14pm On Oct 20, 2012
Congrats Chioma. I hope you will put in your best in the two new roles God has assigned you to now. DPO and Mummy triplets. smiley

1 Like

Re: I'm A Child Of Destiny- Chioma Ajunwa by davidsshir: 8:41pm On Oct 20, 2012
This lady worths all respect from Nigerian and any human on this planet.
As an alien citizen in Lagos Nigeria, I love this lady, with whom I want to share my love of God Almighty.

3 Likes

Re: I'm A Child Of Destiny- Chioma Ajunwa by DonaldGenes(m): 8:45pm On Oct 20, 2012
*yaaaaaaaaaawning*if una read finish tap me*
Re: I'm A Child Of Destiny- Chioma Ajunwa by blessed4ril(f): 9:10pm On Oct 20, 2012
Congrats Chybaby! Am sooooo proud of u dear!
Re: I'm A Child Of Destiny- Chioma Ajunwa by tunnytox(m): 9:19pm On Oct 20, 2012
Chioma is a golden girl anyday...
Re: I'm A Child Of Destiny- Chioma Ajunwa by mamagee3(f): 9:30pm On Oct 20, 2012
Alright!!!

Whatever makes her sleep well at night.
Re: I'm A Child Of Destiny- Chioma Ajunwa by GentleNaaz(m): 9:59pm On Oct 20, 2012
4m sports 2 police, nawa o. Na only 4 naija ds dy hpn. Else wr, its 4m sports 2 coaching.
Re: I'm A Child Of Destiny- Chioma Ajunwa by GentleNaaz(m): 10:01pm On Oct 20, 2012
4m sports 2 police, nawa o. Na only 4 naija ds dy hpn. Else wr, its 4m sports 2 coaching. Bt women 2 much o.
Re: I'm A Child Of Destiny- Chioma Ajunwa by gbadexy(m): 10:09pm On Oct 20, 2012
Nice comments here!
I'm impressed that others too are claiming it for themselves too that they are children of destiny instead of beefing and criticizing her.
Re: I'm A Child Of Destiny- Chioma Ajunwa by idowuswap: 10:13pm On Oct 20, 2012
Imagine hausa kill igbo wella during biafra cus then be cowards.even thier agbari ojukwu abi agbari socket run like mad.no bad things wey igbo no dey inside robbery stealing. kidnap ritual
Re: I'm A Child Of Destiny- Chioma Ajunwa by tunnytox(m): 10:26pm On Oct 20, 2012
idowuswap: Imagine hausa kill igbo wella during biafra cus then be cowards.even thier agbari ojukwu abi agbari socket run like mad.no bad things wey igbo no dey inside robbery stealing. kidnap ritual

WTF!!!
This is not the right place for this kind of tribalistic post, pls don't derail this thread.

3 Likes

Re: I'm A Child Of Destiny- Chioma Ajunwa by Jonsen02: 10:39pm On Oct 20, 2012
[i][/i]tappin...u can wake up donald
Re: I'm A Child Of Destiny- Chioma Ajunwa by ChideraFavour(m): 10:41pm On Oct 20, 2012
idowuswap: Imagine hausa kill igbo wella during biafra cus then be cowards.even thier agbari ojukwu abi agbari socket run like mad.no bad things wey igbo no dey inside robbery stealing. kidnap ritual
wht could ds one has 2 do wt ds thread now,instead of u 2 keep quiet 4 not havin any reasonable thing 2 comment u started quotn rubish,som ppl no just get common sense..mtsheeew!

1 Like

Re: I'm A Child Of Destiny- Chioma Ajunwa by onyekabe(m): 11:07pm On Oct 20, 2012
salafiyy: I must tell, you are not gratful to your Lord! because you are still associating partners with...not untill you're able to differenciate between GOD and JESUS and do the right...therefore, I pray He guides you and your kinds
this is where the people of the most violent religion always get it wrong. They pretend to know God almighty but there are doing the work of their father satan the devil and his prophet muhammed

2 Likes

Re: I'm A Child Of Destiny- Chioma Ajunwa by COOLDUN: 11:42pm On Oct 20, 2012

Thunder fire all your useless generations, what about the ogun forest that is sucking the bloods of the innocent bus passengers in the South West? Your Yoruba tribe's 13yrs old girl counld not come out of a deep freezer while his father took ritual money bribe and buried her over nite. Yoruba are the worst human beigns on this earth. Enemies of progress. How many of your yoruba men and women achieved what Chioma Ajunwa achieved in sports? apart from breeding of stray children the Area boys all over the south West Animalistic kingdom. Go and get a life ass hole.Useless bigot.

2 Likes

Re: I'm A Child Of Destiny- Chioma Ajunwa by Ayorh4you(m): 12:06am On Oct 21, 2012
And so fv*kin wat? Mk we begin cry? I don tire 4 NL sef
Re: I'm A Child Of Destiny- Chioma Ajunwa by toluxa1(m): 12:52am On Oct 21, 2012

You are always missing the mark by just a little fraction of time. But keep it on bro. With more hard work and diligence, you will surely prevail and REALLY become the first to comment wink
Re: I'm A Child Of Destiny- Chioma Ajunwa by dozern(m): 1:01am On Oct 21, 2012
@idowuswap, u ar one of the most stupid person and the newest mad man in town, who likes heating up unnecessary tribalistic comments btw igbo n yoruba. Seun, because of this kind of brothers u have, NL has stated losing popularity. Wat connection has dat idiot's comment wit Ajunwa success. Mr man, if u dnt change u wnt live to celeb d new nigeria. Olodo.
Re: I'm A Child Of Destiny- Chioma Ajunwa by Nobody: 6:08am On Oct 21, 2012
Igbo people are highly talented and should be given more opportunity in the country
Re: I'm A Child Of Destiny- Chioma Ajunwa by salafiyy: 7:04am On Oct 21, 2012
onyekabe: this is where the people of the most violent religion always get it wrong. They pretend to know God almighty but there are doing the work of their father satan the devil and his prophet muhammed
Don't worry, we shall come to know who is on the right path i.e who's father is SATAN, when the time comes
Re: I'm A Child Of Destiny- Chioma Ajunwa by okuya: 8:37am On Oct 21, 2012
Gentle Naaz: 4m sports 2 police, nawa o. Na only 4 naija ds dy hpn. Else wr, its 4m sports 2 coaching. Bt women 2 much o.

She was already a police while into sports, she was being promoted because of her performances in the police games

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

PHOTO: Top 5 Highest Paid Players In Nigerian Football League / Where Will You Watch Today's Match? / Siasia Must Go - Yakubu Aiyegbeni

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.