Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,017 members, 7,818,011 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:00 AM

I Picked A Cheque Of Over Half A Million, What Should I Do With It? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / I Picked A Cheque Of Over Half A Million, What Should I Do With It? (1398 Views)

If You Got Cash Inheritance Of 10 Million What Would You Do With It / Please I Want To Take A Loan Of N 3 Million, What Is The Highest Interest Rate / If You Have Two Million What Bizz Would You Consider? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Picked A Cheque Of Over Half A Million, What Should I Do With It? by slap1(m): 3:19pm On Oct 21, 2012
Sorry for posting this on the wrong section, my intent is to get quick response and wide publicity.
Two days ago (Friday), I picked a crossed cheque of N550,000, issued by a company to someone. And before you all start calling me names, I seek advice for the following reasons:
1. The cheque was issued by a company, and I'm not sure if it can be re-issued to the person.
2. The level of illiteracy-motivated actions here (Aba) is alarming, if I report to the bank or police, it could take an odd twist. I'm not ready for that.
3. If I decide to keep it, someone could be loosing some huge money.
So, what should I do?
Re: I Picked A Cheque Of Over Half A Million, What Should I Do With It? by redsun(m): 3:25pm On Oct 21, 2012
slap1: Sorry for posting this on the wrong section, my intent is to get quick response and wide publicity.
Two days ago (Friday), I picked a crossed cheque of N550,000, issued by a company to someone. And before you all start calling me names, I seek advice for the following reasons:
1. The cheque was issued by a company, and I'm not sure if it can be re-issued to the person.
2. The level of illiteracy-motivated actions here (Aba) is alarming, if I report to the bank or police, it could take an odd twist. I'm not ready for that.
So, what should I do?

Why cant it be reissued to the person if it is reported missing?
Re: I Picked A Cheque Of Over Half A Million, What Should I Do With It? by Sunofgod(m): 3:27pm On Oct 21, 2012
Tear it up . . . . Simple!
Re: I Picked A Cheque Of Over Half A Million, What Should I Do With It? by slap1(m): 3:35pm On Oct 21, 2012
redsun:

Why cant it be reissued to the person if it is reported missing?
You never know, that's why I'm more inclined to going to the bank.
Re: I Picked A Cheque Of Over Half A Million, What Should I Do With It? by chucky234(m): 9:15am On Oct 22, 2012
Destroy the check and forget about it or take it back to the bank where account from which the check was drawn is designated and explain to the branch manager that you found it lying along a path (you know where),there is also the possibility of the issuer not informing the payee of the returned check.
Re: I Picked A Cheque Of Over Half A Million, What Should I Do With It? by stagger: 10:39am On Oct 22, 2012
Tear the cheque up. Simple and short. Or you go back and drop it where you got it from. I know what is going on in your heart right now, and I can tell you that the road you are hoping you can take will take you into a very dark alley.
Re: I Picked A Cheque Of Over Half A Million, What Should I Do With It? by Fourcade(m): 1:01pm On Oct 22, 2012
1) Mail the cheque to the Bank.
2)Drop a note with 'kindly notify me if any Financial Award awaits me' (Your E-mail follows ) grin

Lol @ 'am not sure if it can be re-issued to the person' grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: I Picked A Cheque Of Over Half A Million, What Should I Do With It? by shiftbutton: 2:26pm On Oct 22, 2012
slap1: Sorry for posting this on the wrong section, my intent is to get quick response and wide publicity.
So, what should I do?

I understand what you are saying. The person whose name is on the cheque would have signed picking up the original copy and most likely the company in question will refuse to issue another cheque and like u said, someone's business or life could go down the drain.

Am sure what to advise you to do, u cud try a local radio station or even put the persons name on nairaland without the bank details, let his proof of ownership be the amount bank and other details.

Please don't tear someone life o.

1 Like

Re: I Picked A Cheque Of Over Half A Million, What Should I Do With It? by slap1(m): 3:51pm On Oct 22, 2012
stagger: Tear the cheque up. Simple and short. Or you go back and drop it where you got it from. I know what is going on in your heart right now, and I can tell you that the road you are hoping you can take will take you into a very dark alley.
Ease off, bro. I'm not what you think! The cheque was signed on Friday, the day I picked it, so I could have cashed it that day, if I want. So my DNA is different from yours, ok?
Re: I Picked A Cheque Of Over Half A Million, What Should I Do With It? by stagger: 4:15pm On Oct 22, 2012
slap1: Ease off, bro. I'm not what you think! The cheque was signed on Friday, the day I picked it, so I could have cashed it that day, if I want. So my DNA is different from yours, ok?

You picked up a cheque on Friday, and as at Monday afternoon, it is still in your possession. Taxi guys have picked up millions here in the FCT on countless occasions and returned the money sameday. You pick up a crossed check you can never even cash and you are still with it 4 days after. So what is your DNA made of?

1 Like

Re: I Picked A Cheque Of Over Half A Million, What Should I Do With It? by arbitrage: 4:44pm On Oct 22, 2012
The bank knows what they can do about it, so honourably take it to the bank whose name is on the cheque and do not wait for any temptation or Rehoboam's counsel of seeking reward for finding it.
Re: I Picked A Cheque Of Over Half A Million, What Should I Do With It? by UncleJJ(m): 6:12pm On Oct 22, 2012
stagger:

You picked up a cheque on Friday, and as at Monday afternoon, it is still in your possession. Taxi guys have picked up millions here in the FCT on countless occasions and returned the money sameday. You pick up a crossed check you can never even cash and you are still with it 4 days after. So what is your DNA made of?

Now, this guy knows his onions. Tempting, but... mr yahoo boy...u need to operate on a higher level. Ur still using the same ol trick - greed.

Take ur imaginatory cheque and use it to klean ur nyash!
Re: I Picked A Cheque Of Over Half A Million, What Should I Do With It? by kchaste(m): 7:35pm On Oct 22, 2012
Go to a radio or tv station. Make the report there and am sure the owner will come for it.

(1) (Reply)

Nicon Luxury Abuja Staff Protest Today / Dstv Enough Is Enough / Start Small Scale Agro And Chemical Industries Now, Machines Available.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.