Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,931 members, 7,817,721 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:55 PM

Would We Be Better Off Without Religion? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Would We Be Better Off Without Religion? (5291 Views)

5 Ways My Life Is Better Without Religion / Can You Believe In God Without Religion ? / Will The World Had Been A Better Place Without Religion? Your Thoughts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Would We Be Better Off Without Religion? by Frostyzone(m): 4:39pm On Oct 23, 2012
This isn't asking if you are religious or not, or why you dislike Christianity, Islam, or any other form of religion. This is simply asking, if on earth, we somehow removed religion as a whole, wouldn't we be better off...or not?
Re: Would We Be Better Off Without Religion? by dekung(m): 7:24pm On Oct 23, 2012
Well, I wont agree that the world would be more peaceful once religion is abolished, however we will have one less thing to kill ourselves over and tithe paying christians would have more money in their pockets.

1 Like

Re: Would We Be Better Off Without Religion? by pastormustwacc: 10:10pm On Oct 23, 2012
I believe religion was established by the powers that be to keep man under their thumb. All them crazy power-drunk gods always want human sacrifices and worship, and so they appeared to our fore-fathers, caused them to create images of them, and worship them.

They are mainly fallen angels: all them asherah (queen of heaven), and so many of them.

2 Likes

Re: Would We Be Better Off Without Religion? by onetrack(m): 10:27pm On Oct 23, 2012
"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never worshiped anything but himself." Richard Burton, 19th century world traveler

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." Seneca the Younger, Roman philosopher

8 Likes

Re: Would We Be Better Off Without Religion? by Nobody: 11:40pm On Oct 23, 2012
Go join illuminati...and live a perverted life!
Re: Would We Be Better Off Without Religion? by savcy(m): 11:41pm On Oct 23, 2012
Frostyzone: This isn't asking if you are religious or not, or why you dislike Christianity, Islam, or any other form of religion. This is simply asking, if on earth, we somehow removed religion as a whole, wouldn't we be better off...or not?

Yes,we wud b better off witout religion. If önly we created ourselves. angry

2 Likes

Re: Would We Be Better Off Without Religion? by CGKing(m): 11:47pm On Oct 23, 2012
Y don't u sincerely ask urself thst question. Would we b better off without religion?

For me. In naija, no religion, na die. Religion is the shackles that has bound the the beast in d nigerian. Don't ever make that mistake of getting rid of the shackles.Then u will know that there is a God in heaven.
Re: Would We Be Better Off Without Religion? by Nobody: 11:51pm On Oct 23, 2012
Every man must believe something,no man can exist without any form of belief,or religion,even Atheist.

Religion actually made men live with conscience,without it,Life will be short and brutal.

1 Like

Re: Would We Be Better Off Without Religion? by Techwriter: 11:51pm On Oct 23, 2012
Yes the world would be better without religion. Religion has caused more wars and head aches in the world than any other philosophy. In fact, Jesus came to abolish religion.

The problem is that many people describe Christianity as a Religion. Christianity is God's search for man, while religion is the opposite – man's search for God. “The difference between Christianity and every other faith in the world is that all other religions are about man trying to reach up to God.  Christianity is about God reaching down to man.” 

This is a very important distinction, and it is core to what I believe, so I would like to try to clarify what I mean.  Here is the way I am defining religion: 

Religion is a system of beliefs or a code of moral conduct that judges (qualifies or disqualifies) a person based on their adherence and obedience to certain codes, rules, laws, traditions, or the performance of required acts. 

Religion (almost universally) is enforced by those in power in an attempt to maintain, increase, or abuse their power over others.  Religion is the creation of man and is not the intention or design of God.

Religion says slave, Jesus says son,
Religion puts you in shackles but Jesus sets you free. Religion makes you blind, but Jesus lets you see.
Religion say DO! DO!! DON'T!! DON'T!!(Dos & Donts)
Christianity Says DONE! DONE!! Jesus did it all for you. All you need do is believe. You can't please God by your self righteousness(a set of dos n donts)

So if you ask me whether the world would be better without a believe in God I would say NO. But better without religion I will say Yes! Why? Because without a believe in higher powers, conscience is destroyed and life generally becomes meaningless.

Even Bertrand Russell a well known atheist seemed to understand this well as he fatalistically observed, “Unless you assume a God, the question of life's purpose is meaningless.

Without God, life has no purpose, and without purpose, life has no meaning.  Without meaning, life has no significance or hope.”

13 Likes

Re: Would We Be Better Off Without Religion? by Nobody: 11:56pm On Oct 23, 2012
Before christianity, men lived.
Before Islam, men lived.
If religion is scrapped, men will live.

6 Likes

Re: Would We Be Better Off Without Religion? by pastormustwacc: 12:11am On Oct 24, 2012
This is serious mehn, see theories o. . .
Re: Would We Be Better Off Without Religion? by WildOne1: 12:19am On Oct 24, 2012
Religion has done more harm than good in every country on this earth, even right from the early days of the jews. examples of things powered by religion: ISREAL INFLICTING PAINS ON THE PALESTINIANS, AMERICANS VS MIDDLE EAST, BOKO HARAM, I AM EVEN CONVINCED THAT THE 1ST WORLD WAR HAS TO 2 DO WITH RELIGION, LAWS AGAINST WOMEN, ETC.

1 Like

Re: Would We Be Better Off Without Religion? by pastormustwacc: 12:25am On Oct 24, 2012
SAY NO TO RELIGION, AND NO TO ALUMINATI! THIS IS THE SPIRIT OF ILUMINATI THAT I AM SEEING HERE.

@POSTER, ARE YOU ALUMINATI OR ILUMINATI ABI ILUMI-NUTIN? ALL NA THE SAME?
Re: Would We Be Better Off Without Religion? by MAYOWAAK: 12:50am On Oct 24, 2012
Every religion that comes begets a new one. Two hundred years from now the people that will occupy this world will look at our era and our religions that we fight for and die for and call our age the Extreme Dark Ages. In another two hundred thousand years, nobody will remember what god we fought for, killed for, or died for. Just like we have no idea what god the people who were on this earth 100,000 years ago fought for, killed for or died for.

It is hard to imagine it now, but after the Third World War and after a nuclear war, a new world will emerge with new religions. The old religions left standing will go through reformation. And subtly and gradually, new religions will replace the old. Because it takes hundreds of years for this kind of transformation to be visible, it is hard for those living in that age to notice the change as it happens. We won’t wake up one day and notice that our religion is dead.

2 Likes

Re: Would We Be Better Off Without Religion? by batiatus(m): 12:55am On Oct 24, 2012
if u want to remove religion, u can as well remove ethnic tribes because anything that clearly differentiate pple, they will be always b problem. if you like remove religion from nigeria, so long as the hausas, yorubas and igbos still remain nothing will change. religion only worsen the issue. the british arent religious and also dont have diverse ethnic tribe, that make things easy them but here in africa every tribe want to rule. my point is we wont be better off without religion, if u take out religion, the fight for ethinic Superiority would b next.

1 Like

Re: Would We Be Better Off Without Religion? by Nobody: 12:56am On Oct 24, 2012
CGKing: Y don't u sincerely ask urself thst question. Would we b better off without religion?

For me. In naija, no religion, na die. Religion is the shackles that has bound the the beast in d nigerian. Don't ever make that mistake of getting rid of the shackles.Then u will know that there is a God in heaven.

Which shackles are holding boko haraam and ALUU killers?

Abegi, without religion, we would have one less thing to divide us

1 Like

Re: Would We Be Better Off Without Religion? by Nobody: 12:59am On Oct 24, 2012
batiatus: if u want to remove religion, u can as well remove ethnic tribes because anything that clearly differentiate pple, they will be always b problem. if you like remove religion from nigeria, so long as the hausas, yorubas and igbos still remain nothing will change. religion only worsen the issue. the british arent religious and also dont have diverse ethnic tribe, that make things easy them but here in africa every tribe want to rule. my point is we wont be better off without religion, if u take out religion, the fight for ethinic Superiority would b next.

You are confused. Arent you admitting that we have 2 reasons to be diivided? Religion and ethnicity?

Wouldnt removing one (religion) mean progress?
Re: Would We Be Better Off Without Religion? by pastormustwacc: 1:42am On Oct 24, 2012
Na wa o. How will this affect the uranium bomb iran is making and how will it affect the price of garri in the market?
Re: Would We Be Better Off Without Religion? by Nobody: 2:01am On Oct 24, 2012
no..we wont... #God
Re: Would We Be Better Off Without Religion? by Nobody: 2:21am On Oct 24, 2012
deejay_harry1: no..we wont... #God

Yes, because god is on twitter

1 Like

Re: Would We Be Better Off Without Religion? by greatgod2012(f): 2:37am On Oct 24, 2012
@ op, what led u to asking this type opf question?
Re: Would We Be Better Off Without Religion? by OYINBOGOJU(m): 4:33am On Oct 24, 2012
dekung: Well, I wont agree that the world would be more peaceful once religion is abolished, however we will have one less thing to kill ourselves over and tithe paying christians would have more money in their pockets.

There will be no extortation, excommunication,intimidation and will definitely reduce crime by Pastors,Imam and co.

More Savings for the family which will reduce the rate of divorce in the world.

In short we have a better environment

1 Like

Re: Would We Be Better Off Without Religion? by ramalot(m): 4:50am On Oct 24, 2012
smiley

2 Likes

Re: Would We Be Better Off Without Religion? by ramalot(m): 4:55am On Oct 24, 2012
smiley

3 Likes

Re: Would We Be Better Off Without Religion? by chinnyonwu(m): 6:21am On Oct 24, 2012
No
Re: Would We Be Better Off Without Religion? by Nobody: 6:37am On Oct 24, 2012
There are other religions besides islam and christianity.what people should know world will be worst without religion.
solidbroda: Before christianity, men lived.
Before Islam, men lived.
If religion is scrapped, men will live.
Re: Would We Be Better Off Without Religion? by Frostyzone(m): 6:41am On Oct 24, 2012
greatgod2012: @ op, what led u to asking this type of question?
@greatgod, look around you. Infact take some time to do some research concerning unnecessarily violence erupting all over the world. Then take that data and compare it to the regions on the map religious ideology is more concentrated. If you look more closely you will see that those areas are Middle east, North Africa and Sub saharan Africa. Those aforementioned regions collectively are hot zones for all kinds of instabilities. And no less than 5 countries in those regions are on Terrorist list of 4 western countries. If that doesn't convince you, then search for the areas with less crimes. Then compare the data with that of areas with less religious people. You will notice the similarites between the 2 datas. More startling will be the discovery that more than 70% percentage of the population in that region are Atheist! Countries in those regions are all scandanavian countries, where violence and any other form of instability are virtually none existence. Why? You may asked. The answer is definite and simple. "BECAUSE THEY DON'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT THE COMPLICATIONS OF RELIGION". I hope that answered your question.

1 Like

Re: Would We Be Better Off Without Religion? by Nobody: 6:42am On Oct 24, 2012
If u want peace,find true religion which is jehovah witnesses.they do not collect or pay tithes just voluntary contributions.jehovah witnesses are neutral in world politics and war.few people in narrow road walking in way to life.matt 7:13,14.
dekung: Well, I wont agree that the world would be more peaceful once religion is abolished, however we will have one less thing to kill ourselves over and tithe paying christians would have more money in their pockets.
Re: Would We Be Better Off Without Religion? by Frostyzone(m): 6:50am On Oct 24, 2012
Yomieluv: Every man must believe something,no man can exist without any form of belief,or religion,even Atheist.

Religion actually made men live with conscience,without it,Life will be short and brutal.

Are you sure? Because to me it seems the other way round. Infact religion has fueled men to kill without flinching all over the world with the so called conscience telling them they are doing the right thing.

1 Like

Re: Would We Be Better Off Without Religion? by thelastPope(m): 6:55am On Oct 24, 2012
Is greece better off "without religion"?

Is America better off with "less religion" and an atheist president?
Re: Would We Be Better Off Without Religion? by thelastPope(m): 7:02am On Oct 24, 2012
Frostyzone:
Are you sure? Because to me it seems the other way round. Infact religion has fueled men to kill without flinching all over the world with the so called conscience telling them they are doing the right thing.

Religion does not make man do anything. Man is the one making religion do things! Religion is not a living thing, man is. Religion doesn't have a mind and heart, man does! Man's heart is wicked. It will do evil, with or "without" religion.

On a different note, there is nothing like a man without religion! Atheism is a religion! Atheism is man's worship of himself. That is what is described in the bible as 666! It is one of the earliest religions in the world. It is what was practised during the building of the tower of Babel!

1 Like

Re: Would We Be Better Off Without Religion? by Nobody: 7:07am On Oct 24, 2012
Techwriter: Yes the world would be better without religion. Religion has caused more wars and head aches in the world than any other philosophy. In fact, Jesus came to abolish religion.

The problem is that many people describe Christianity as a Religion. Christianity is God's search for man, while religion is the opposite – man's search for God. “The difference between Christianity and every other faith in the world is that all other religions are about man trying to reach up to God.  Christianity is about God reaching down to man.” 

This is a very important distinction, and it is core to what I believe, so I would like to try to clarify what I mean.  Here is the way I am defining religion: 

Religion is a system of beliefs or a code of moral conduct that judges (qualifies or disqualifies) a person based on their adherence and obedience to certain codes, rules, laws, traditions, or the performance of required acts. 

Religion (almost universally) is enforced by those in power in an attempt to maintain, increase, or abuse their power over others.  Religion is the creation of man and is not the intention or design of God.

Religion says slave, Jesus says son,
Religion puts you in shackles but Jesus sets you free. Religion makes you blind, but Jesus lets you see

So if you ask me whether the world would be better without a believe in God I would say NO. But better without religion I will say Yes! Why? Because without a believe in higher powers, conscience is destroyed and life generally becomes meaningless.

Even Bertrand Russell a well known atheist seemed to understand this well as he fatalistically observed, “Unless you assume a God, the question of life's purpose is meaningless.

Without God, life has no purpose, and without purpose, life has no meaning.  Without meaning, life has no significance or hope.”

Upon all u've written, u are still posting christian stuff in the religion section.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Johannine Comma (1 John 5:7) / 20 Reasons To Abandon Christianity / Despicable Act : Jesus Encourage Eating Human Flesh - Bible

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.