Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,637 members, 7,809,393 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:47 AM

Can You Believe In God Without Religion ? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can You Believe In God Without Religion ? (5075 Views)

Ese Walter Denounces Jesus, Says She No Longer Believes In God / 5 Ways My Life Is Better Without Religion / Woman Worshiping God Without Hands And Legs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can You Believe In God Without Religion ? by UyiIredia(m): 11:05pm On Sep 27, 2013
I ask because usually a belief in God is associated with religion. For a couple of months, I have rejected Christianity and proclaimed deism whilst intent on switching soon to yet another stance for a while. But then, I want to ask everyone in particular Christians and Muslims.

• If your religion (or way of life for Christians Bible reading, praise/worship, Holy Communion etc, for Muslims, Koran reading, Ramadan, tarawijd) died today, would you believe in God ?

• Is it compulsory that prophets eg Muhammad (PBUH) or Jesus (The Son of God) must come before we assume a Creator behind Nature ?

• What problems do you find with people who disbelieve in organised religion irrespective of stance ?

Your answers are welcome.

Edited (because of answers about Christianity being a 'way of life' and not a religion)
Re: Can You Believe In God Without Religion ? by Nobody: 11:08pm On Sep 27, 2013
I dont believe in Christianity. I believe in Christ.
Re: Can You Believe In God Without Religion ? by UyiIredia(m): 11:10pm On Sep 27, 2013
idnoble135: I dont believe in Christianity. I believe in Christ.

Believing in Christ and the Bible is all that it takes to be a Christian. Please answer the questions.
Re: Can You Believe In God Without Religion ? by Nobody: 11:12pm On Sep 27, 2013
Uyi Iredia: I ask because usually a belief in God is associated with religion. For a couple of months, I have rejected Christianity and proclaimed deism whilst intent on switching soon to yet another stance for a while. But then, I want to ask everyone in particular Christians and Muslims. If your religion died today, would you believe in God ? Is it compulsory that prophets eg Muhammad (PBUH) or Jesus (The Son of God) must come before we assume a Creator behind Nature ? What problems do you find with people who disbelieve in organised religion irrespective of stance ? Your answers are welcome.
not a religious person. Don't believe in all that. Believe in christ. Know him. Saved from sin. That's deeper than 'a form of worship'
Re: Can You Believe In God Without Religion ? by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:16pm On Sep 27, 2013
I cannot do away with my religion , because my religion is tied to my culture and my identity.
Re: Can You Believe In God Without Religion ? by Nobody: 11:17pm On Sep 27, 2013
Basically, what do you mean by the term God. Is it acknowledging that a Supreme being lives upstairs or still believing in Jesus when the 'christian religion' goes extinct?
Re: Can You Believe In God Without Religion ? by Kay17: 11:19pm On Sep 27, 2013
One has to admire Jesus, he has held minds in cages centuries after his death. AMAZING!

What ever you think about God forms the religion.

1 Like

Re: Can You Believe In God Without Religion ? by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:21pm On Sep 27, 2013
Kay 17: One has to admire Jesus, he has held minds in cages centuries after his death. AMAZING!

I agree. truly what men.

It is certainly admirable.

What can also be admired is how people turn to sheeple.
Re: Can You Believe In God Without Religion ? by yommy2sure(m): 11:42pm On Sep 27, 2013
Okay when u say God, I don't know whether u mean Jesus, Allah, Buddah, Yahweh or the rest of 'em. But I believe In a power greater than me, I'm in awe of the intelligence of the being that created this sort of experiment called life. But I'm more convinced that he/she/they created and really just set the laws and other things in motion and just refuse to interfere, I do not subscribe to any of the manmade and modern version of the brainwashing called religion. I think I'm deist.

1 Like

Re: Can You Believe In God Without Religion ? by UyiIredia(m): 11:46pm On Sep 27, 2013
Kay 17: One has to admire Jesus, he has held minds in cages centuries after his death. AMAZING!

Correction millenia.

Kay 17: What ever you think about God forms the religion.

By that logic, atheism is a religion since it has a thought about God: it doesn't exist.
Re: Can You Believe In God Without Religion ? by McLincolnGuzit(m): 11:48pm On Sep 27, 2013
Please as a christain am advicing you not to associate christainity with the term "Religion",christainity is not a belief,rather it is a way of life that is base on the life of our Lord Jesus Christ.
In other words it is your personal relationship through christ with God the Father,God the Son,and with the Spirit of Holiness.
Re: Can You Believe In God Without Religion ? by UyiIredia(m): 11:49pm On Sep 27, 2013
Chibuebem: not a religious person. Don't believe in all that. Believe in christ. Know him. Saved from sin. That's deeper than 'a form of worship'

You people are funny. Simple queshuns are hard for you to ansa. Will you believe in God if there was no Christianity, or no religion ?
Re: Can You Believe In God Without Religion ? by UyiIredia(m): 11:51pm On Sep 27, 2013
McLincolnGuzit: Please as a christain am advicing you not to associate christainity with the term "Religion",christainity is not a belief,rather it is a way of life that is base on the life of our Lord Jesus Christ.
In other words it is your personal relationship through christ with God the Father,God the Son,and with the Spirit of Holiness.

Deism, atheism and paganism are also not religions but 'ways of life', thank you.

2 Likes

Re: Can You Believe In God Without Religion ? by hijacke(m): 11:51pm On Sep 27, 2013
the wonders of the universe and reality creates the idea of a supernational BEING in man. Religions attempts to identify and describe the BEING the best possible way they can.
Re: Can You Believe In God Without Religion ? by UyiIredia(m): 11:56pm On Sep 27, 2013
hijacke: the wonders of the universe and reality creates the idea of a supernational BEING in man. Religions attempts to identify and describe the BEING the best possible way they can.

Okay. So any attempt to define this supernatural Being in man is religion, agreed ?
Re: Can You Believe In God Without Religion ? by Nobody: 12:11am On Sep 28, 2013
If god really exist then we dont need belief, belief is necessary because of lack of evidence. religion is needed so people can believe, if god shows up religion will end.. think about it.
Re: Can You Believe In God Without Religion ? by Nobody: 12:54am On Sep 28, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

You people are funny. Simple queshuns are hard for you to ansa. Will you believe in God if there was no Christianity, or no religion ?
that question wasn't hard to answer, my friend. I'd believe in God and know him through Jesus Christ if there was no 'christianity'. Remember there was a church and a body of believers before the term 'Christianity' was even coined up
Re: Can You Believe In God Without Religion ? by UyiIredia(m): 7:20am On Sep 28, 2013
Chibuebem: that question wasn't hard to answer, my friend. I'd believe in God and know him through Jesus Christ if there was no 'christianity'. Remember there was a church and a body of believers before the term 'Christianity' was even coined up

Okay.
Re: Can You Believe In God Without Religion ? by UyiIredia(m): 7:22am On Sep 28, 2013
hijacke: the wonders of the universe and reality creates the idea of a supernational BEING in man. Religions attempts to identify and describe the BEING the best possible way they can.

Okay. This makes deism a religion since it also attempts to describe God. In fact, some deists will call theirs a natural religion since they believe that is what the earliest men would have believed before building religious rituals, texts and doctrines.
Re: Can You Believe In God Without Religion ? by italo: 7:43am On Sep 28, 2013
Uyi Iredia: I ask because usually a belief in God is associated with religion. For a couple of months, I have rejected Christianity and proclaimed deism whilst intent on switching soon to yet another stance for a while. But then, I want to ask everyone in particular Christians and Muslims.

• If your religion (or way of life for Christians Bible reading, praise/worship, Holy Communion etc, for Muslims, Koran reading, Ramadan, tarawijd) died today, would you believe in God ?

Yes. However, Christianity cannot die.
Uyi Iredia:
• Is it compulsory that prophets eg Muhammad (PBUH) or Jesus (The Son of God) must come before we assume a Creator behind Nature ?

I dont know.
Uyi Iredia:
• What problems do you find with people who disbelieve in organised religion irrespective of stance ?

I just think many of them are just being arrogant; not wanting to submit to any authority for guidance.
Re: Can You Believe In God Without Religion ? by italo: 7:48am On Sep 28, 2013

What ever you think about God forms the religion.

Yes. Yes. Even minds that say he doesnt exist...they cannot but be stuck on him.

TRULY AMAZING is my God!
Re: Can You Believe In God Without Religion ? by italo: 7:50am On Sep 28, 2013
To those saying "christianity is not a religion," I have a question:

Have you re-written the English dictionary? undecided

3 Likes

Re: Can You Believe In God Without Religion ? by Nobody: 7:59am On Sep 28, 2013
Uyi Iredia: I ask because usually a belief in God is associated with religion.

The answer you'll get is largely dependent on what you mean by the bold. Religion can also be viewed as: "the belief in a god or in a group of gods"; and by that definition every Theist can be said to be into religion.

Uyi Iredia:
For a couple of months, I have rejected Christianity and proclaimed deism whilst intent on switching soon to yet another stance for a while. But then, I want to ask everyone in particular Christians and Muslims.

Okay, cool!

Uyi Iredia:

Again, it depends on how you see religion. There is a way one would view religion that the question you ask up there would be very irrelevant basically because the death of religion would necessarily imply a lack of belief in God. One cannot believe in God and not believe in him at the same time.

Uyi Iredia:

No!!!

Uyi Iredia:

None!!!
Re: Can You Believe In God Without Religion ? by UyiIredia(m): 8:34am On Sep 28, 2013
@ hijacke: Okay. This makes deism a religion since it also attempts to describe God. In fact, some deists will call theirs a natural religion since they believe that is what the earliest men would have believed before building religious rituals, texts and doctrines.
Re: Can You Believe In God Without Religion ? by Nobody: 8:59am On Sep 28, 2013
Brb..
Re: Can You Believe In God Without Religion ? by okeyxyz(m): 9:01am On Sep 28, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

If christianity (from my POV) died today, then I'd stop believing in God. Life would just be meaningless with no purpose, no respect, no hope. Just live and die.

The coming of Jesus christ forms my perspective on life as it is. So if he'd not come, I probably would be following a false religion today or be an atheist. So yes, it is compulsory for christ to come before christianity, else it's another (false) religion.

There's nothing wrong with organized religion. When two or more people have a common interest and they want to share, review and advance their interest, then it's only natural that they organize themselves for learning/teaching, querying, inspiration and encouragement, establishing systems, protocols, hierarchy, doctrines, etc. So organization is not the problem, the problem is having a false belief system.

Edited (because of answers about Christianity being a 'way of life' and not a religion)

People who say christianity is not a religion are either being dishonest/deceiving themselves or they lack the capacity to think and assert their believes. What is wrong with having a religion?? These people are so lacking in conviction that they are now dancing to the tune of atheists and anti-christian bodies who make it a mission to find faults and blames in religion, therefore these silly "christians" have become ashamed of the word "religion" and run away from being associated with it. I am a christian and I am religious. I am not ashamed of it. The fact that other people abuse religion will not make me deny my religion. And to those who are ashamed of being labeled "religious": You have serious self esteem issues. angry
Re: Can You Believe In God Without Religion ? by UyiIredia(m): 2:48pm On Sep 28, 2013
@ sriiktlymi: Cool. I just wanted to see if peoole could believe in God without reference to aspects of religions such as Krishna in Hindu. Just a simple belief in God daz all.

@ Okeyxyz: I am disappointed you will be an atheist without Jesus.
Re: Can You Believe In God Without Religion ? by UyiIredia(m): 2:50pm On Sep 28, 2013
Okeyxyz's take on organized religion and Christians pandering to atheists by sqying Christianity isn't a religion is worthy of note.
Re: Can You Believe In God Without Religion ? by Nobody: 2:58pm On Sep 28, 2013
Uyi Iredia: @ sriiktlymi: Cool. I just wanted to see if peoole could believe in God without reference to aspects of religions such as Krishna in Hindu. Just a simple belief in God daz all.

Okay, cool!

Without religion (in the sense you are looking at it) there will still be belief in a creator, who people refer to as God. It is simply impossible for man to be on Earth and not ask himself salient questions about existence.
Re: Can You Believe In God Without Religion ? by Nobody: 6:47pm On Sep 28, 2013
yommy2sure: Okay when u say God, I don't know whether u mean Jesus, Allah, Buddah, Yahweh or the rest of 'em. But I believe In a power greater than me, I'm in awe of the intelligence of the being that created this sort of experiment called life. But I'm more convinced that he/she/they created and really just set the laws and other things in motion and just refuse to interfere, I do not subscribe to any of the manmade and modern version of the brainwashing called religion. I think I'm deist.
Re: Can You Believe In God Without Religion ? by okeyxyz(m): 7:31pm On Sep 28, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

grin grin grin That's because, knowing what I know now; I've come to realize that all religions, spirituality and God-consciousness are derived from the true christian doctrine(I don't mean conventional christianity). Every religion or God-consciousness is a shadowy imitation of christianity. It doesn't matter whether these religions came before or after christianity. They all see christ principle, they know it works and rules the universe but they do not understand this christ principle, so they are all groping in the dark to find the best fit to this christ doctrine. Like I said before; it doesn't matter that your religion came before christianity, it is still derived from christian doctrine, just like Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, david, Moses, etc(even the law of Moses), saw the promise/vision of christ thousands of years before christ eventually appeared on earth, so their faith is based on christ even though their religion/belief system was not christian. So it is with Islam, paganism, occult doctrines, etc, these are all trying to get a best fit to that vision/principle of christ that they see but do not understand, and all they can do is speculate and dogmatize. So without christianity, no religion would even exist in the first place. Just like without the substance, the shadow will not exist.

So without christ, atheism would be the only thing that makes sense.
Re: Can You Believe In God Without Religion ? by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:59pm On Sep 28, 2013
^the worst form of bullsh!t ive ever heard. a plagarized religion claiming all our knowledge for itself. TUFIAKWA!

bloody arrogant xtians. angry

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Should Pastors/ministries Sell Their Books And Messages? / All Nairaland Pastors Lets Go And Heal The Sick In Hospitals / Truthmans2012, Annunaki2 Or Parisbookaddict, Who Is The True Christian?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.