Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,768 members, 7,820,685 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:30 PM

Ndigbo Celebrates Igbo Day At Asaba, Delta State - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ndigbo Celebrates Igbo Day At Asaba, Delta State (7271 Views)

Olubadan-In-Council Declares Eze Ndigbo Illegal / Alaafin Of Oyo Celebrates His 77th Birthday With Youngest Wife (Photos) / Igbo Day In Abuja: Onu, Ezeife, Uwazuruike Attend (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ndigbo Celebrates Igbo Day At Asaba, Delta State by OneNaira6: 1:21am On Oct 24, 2012
Masterweb Reports - Saturday, October 6, 2012: Delta State capital, Asaba witnessed a flurry of activities between Friday, 28th September and Saturday, 29th September, 2012 when Igbos from all works of life gathered to observe the Igbo Day celebration.

The occasion hosted by Governor Emmanuel Uduaghan of Delta State witnessed speeches by Igbo leaders, cultural dances and goodwill messages. The event conducted in a clement weather and at the Cenotaph in Asaba, began with lectures at the Grand Hotel Asaba. The lectures were delivered by a well known political scientist Professor BIC Ijeomah, Professor Ralph Nwokedi and Dr. Mrs Ofomata, a well known author of several works on culture and history.

In his well laced message to Ndigbo, the President-General of Ohanaeze Ndigbo, Amb. Ralph Uwechue went into memory lane on the checkered history of Ndigbo in the Nigerian Project. He called on Ndigbo to unite and pursue their goals in Nigeria with an unwavering candour and indubitable resilience. He re-iterated the commitment of Ohanaeze Ndigbo to the Nigerian Presidency of Igbo extraction project.

In his key note address, the Governor of Delta State who came to the venue of the event very early declared the event a historic one in the sense that is was the first time and during his regime that such event was holding in Delta State. He advocated an increased geo-political rapport between the South East and the South South, emphasizing that the geo-political and even economic interest of both zones are coterminous. He traced the history of the geo-political and economic contagion between the two zones which culminated to the massive Igbo vote for a South Southerner Goodluck Jonathan in the 2011 Presidential election. Declaring himself an Igbo man, Governor Uduaghan re-iterated his commitment to promote inter-ethnic harmony among all the ethnic groups in Delta State. He also shared the view of the late Dim Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu on the Handshake Across the Niger.

In his speech, Governor Peter Obi of Anambra State and Chairman of the Forum of South East Governors congratulated the President-General of Ohanaeze Amb. Ralph Uwechue, the Chairman of the 2012 Igbo Day Planning committee Dr. Joe Nwaorgu and the National Executive Committee of Ohanaeze Ndigbo for -organizing the historic event. He called on Ndigbo to unite and speak with one voice on national issues while strengthening the bond of fraternity with their nearest neighbours and brothers in the South South.

In his own speech, Senator Ben Obi who represented the Secretary to the Federal Government of Nigeria Senator Anyim Pius Anyim stressed on the need for Ndigbo to keep the Dreams of their forebears alive and assert themselves in the larger Nigeria family. The Chairman of the event and Former Chief of General Staff, Commodore Ebitu Ukiwe saluted Ndigbo for their resilience and courage. He re-iterated that Igbos everywhere irrespective of geographical or spatial diversity remain one. He called on Ndigbo to remain focused and demand their legitimate rights in Nigeria.

The former Vice President Dr Alex Ekwueme harped on Igbo Unity and the urgent need for Igbo rediscovery. The representative of the Governor of Abia State Chief Dr T A Orji and the Deputy Governor of the state, Chief Emeka Ananaba traced the dialectics and checkered history of Ndigbo in Nigeria and congratulated the Ohanaeze Ndigbo for noting the historical imperative of building bridges and knitting together Igbos from all corners of Igboland.

The Deputy Governor of Bayelsa State who represented the Governor, Chief Seriake Dickson congratulated Ndigbo for finding it necessary to build brigdes with their brothers in the South South and hoped such bond will continue in the years ahead. The Governor of Imo State Owelle Rochas Okorocha was also on hand though few minutes to the end of the program to give his Igbocentric halo to the event.

The President of the Igbo World Assembly (IWA), Dr. Anakwenze whose organization had earlier had a lecture on the 27th of September with the theme "Actualisation of Igbo Agenda and Youth Empowernment" was full of joy for the success of the event and and assured Ndigbo that IWA would always work with Ohanaeze Ndigbo to protect the interest of Ndigbo all over the world.

The highlight of the event was cultural dances, processions and youth activities. Many top Igbo dignitaries like Pa Onyenso Nwachukwu, Dr Anagha Ezikpe, Chief J D Maduako, Dr Gorge Obiozor, Dr ABC Nwosu, HRH Eze Ilomuanya, Ohanaeze chieftains, Igbo youth leaders and Umuada Igbo graced the occasion.

http://nigeriamasterweb.com/blog/index.php/2012/10/16/ndigbo-celebrates-igbo-day-at-asaba-delta-state-with-fanfare

2 Likes

Re: Ndigbo Celebrates Igbo Day At Asaba, Delta State by OneNaira6: 1:28am On Oct 24, 2012
Re: Ndigbo Celebrates Igbo Day At Asaba, Delta State by OneNaira6: 1:29am On Oct 24, 2012
These are all the pictures I can find online about the event, if anyone has more. Please do not hesitate to post it.

Nri-priest, I hope this proves to you that Asaba people do not hate their Igbo origin and are proud to be Igbo. Asaba people hating Igbo is nothing but a fallacy created on NL in an effort to cause disunity. If I recall my memory, you and someone else said something in line of that last month and that has been nibbling at me for a while now. You should never believe it. I do apologize by the way, if you think I'm putting you on blast.

1 Like

Re: Ndigbo Celebrates Igbo Day At Asaba, Delta State by nedu210(m): 9:37am On Oct 24, 2012
I never knew this year igbo day was celebrated, i have been wondering if no state picked up the hosting, well good to know that it was celebrated.
Kudos to our delta brothers for taking up the challange of hosting ndigbo in this year igbo day.
Re: Ndigbo Celebrates Igbo Day At Asaba, Delta State by AndreUweh(m): 7:00pm On Oct 24, 2012
Asaba has always played an important role in the history, culture and politics of Ndigbo.
It is interesting to note that Asaba hosted the first ever conference of Igbo language and literature in 1907.
Asaba in 2004 hosted that years edition of Igbo day. The one this year is the second under the Ohanaeze.
Asaba also hosted the peace-making between Col Joe Achuzia and Joe Irukwu-the then Ohanaeze sec-gen and pres-gen.
One of the founding fathers of Ohanaeze Ndigbo is from Asaba-Chief Dennis Osadebe.
Asaba, what a historic town of Ndigbo.

1 Like

Re: Ndigbo Celebrates Igbo Day At Asaba, Delta State by nedu210(m): 8:02pm On Oct 24, 2012
Andre Uweh: Asaba has always played an important role in the history, culture and politics of Ndigbo.
It is interesting to note that Asaba hosted the first ever conference of Igbo language and literature in 1907.
Asaba in 2004 hosted that years edition of Igbo day. The one this year is the second under the Ohanaeze.
Asaba also hosted the peace-making between Col Joe Achuzia and Joe Irukwu-the then Ohanaeze sec-gen and pres-gen.
One of the founding fathers of Ohanaeze Ndigbo is from Asaba-Chief Dennis Osadebe.

Hmm good to knw that, once more kudo to ndi be anyi be na ofe mmiri galile nke ozo. Bia ify olee ihe imega ebea grin
Re: Ndigbo Celebrates Igbo Day At Asaba, Delta State by ifyalways(f): 8:11pm On Oct 24, 2012
Nice to see such an occasion hosted @ Asaba.

Igbo bu ofu.
Re: Ndigbo Celebrates Igbo Day At Asaba, Delta State by AndreUweh(m): 10:09pm On Oct 24, 2012
ifyalways: Nice to see such an occasion hosted @ Asaba.

Igbo bu ofu.
Asaba in 2004 Hosted the same event.
Currently, The Asagba of Asagba is the leader of Ndieze in the entire Igboland.
Re: Ndigbo Celebrates Igbo Day At Asaba, Delta State by nedu210(m): 10:45pm On Oct 24, 2012
Andre Uweh:
Asaba in 2004 Hosted the same event.
Currently, The Asagba of Asagba is the leader of Ndieze in the entire Igboland.
i thought its this Eze from imo state, just 4got his name
Re: Ndigbo Celebrates Igbo Day At Asaba, Delta State by nedu210(m): 10:46pm On Oct 24, 2012
Eze ilomuanya
Re: Ndigbo Celebrates Igbo Day At Asaba, Delta State by AndreUweh(m): 11:10pm On Oct 24, 2012
nedu210: Eze ilomuanya
Eze Ilomuanya is for the south east while Prof Edozien-the Asagba of Asagba is the leader of Ndieze in the entire Igboland (south east, south south).
I hope you understand that.
Re: Ndigbo Celebrates Igbo Day At Asaba, Delta State by OneNaira6: 12:55am On Oct 25, 2012
Andre Uweh: Asaba has always played an important role in the history, culture and politics of Ndigbo.

grin grin grin
Such kind words. Dalu
Re: Ndigbo Celebrates Igbo Day At Asaba, Delta State by nedu210(m): 9:35am On Oct 25, 2012
Andre Uweh:
Eze Ilomuanya is for the south east while Prof Edozien-the Asagba of Asagba is the leader of Ndieze in the entire Igboland (south east, south south).
I hope you understand that.
O EZE NDI EZE. YEAH I DO.
Re: Ndigbo Celebrates Igbo Day At Asaba, Delta State by NRIPRIEST(m): 5:51pm On Oct 25, 2012
One_Naira: These are all the pictures I can find online about the event, if anyone has more. Please do not hesitate to post it.

Nri-priest, I hope this proves to you that Asaba people do not hate their Igbo origin and are proud to be Igbo. Asaba people hating Igbo is nothing but a fallacy created on NL in an effort to cause disunity. If I recall my memory, you and someone else said something in line of that last month and that has been nibbling at me for a while now. You should never believe it. I do apologize by the way, if you think I'm putting you on blast.

Nwanne,haba! I never said so;I was just paraphrasing the words of Stella Damascus and if I can remember vividly I never said Ahaba rejected their Igboness.Moreso,I know the history of Ahaba and the areas they originated from in Omanbala. But wait a minute..Do Ahaba women wear the red hat Alu emeee..lol
Re: Ndigbo Celebrates Igbo Day At Asaba, Delta State by AndreUweh(m): 7:11pm On Oct 25, 2012
NRI PRIEST:

Nwanne,haba! I never said so;I was just paraphrasing the words of Stella Damascus and if I can remember vividly I never said Ahaba rejected their Igboness.Moreso,I know the history of Ahaba and the areas they originated from in Omanbala. But wait a minute..Do Ahaba women wear the red hat Alu emeee..lol
In some Western Igbo areas, there are titles reserved for great women. These women title holders break kola nut, wear red hats and sits with Obis in their cabinet. It is very common in Ubulu Ukwu and Iselu Ukwu areas.
@Nri Priest, it is allowed.
Re: Ndigbo Celebrates Igbo Day At Asaba, Delta State by ifyalways(f): 9:23pm On Oct 25, 2012
Is eze Ilomuanya the eze of Ekwulobia ?
Re: Ndigbo Celebrates Igbo Day At Asaba, Delta State by AndreUweh(m): 10:20pm On Oct 25, 2012
ifyalways: Is eze Ilomuanya the eze of Ekwulobia ?
Noops, he is an Eze in Orlu zone of Imo state.
Re: Ndigbo Celebrates Igbo Day At Asaba, Delta State by NRIPRIEST(m): 10:31pm On Oct 25, 2012
Andre Uweh:
In some Western Igbo areas, there are titles reserved for great women. These women title holders break kola nut, wear red hats and sits with Obis in their cabinet. It is very common in Ubulu Ukwu and Iselu Ukwu areas.
@Nri Priest, it is allowed.

We have "Igba odu/Ichi Iyom" for women folks in Omanbala but they don't wear the REVERED Nze na Ozo hat for men folks,rather they wore the ivory on their legs,forearms,necks,wrist with the famous "akwaocha". Even,you can't do that in Onicha Ado. Anyway,omenani ndi dili fa.
Re: Ndigbo Celebrates Igbo Day At Asaba, Delta State by Nobody: 10:45pm On Oct 26, 2012
Andre Uweh:
Noops, he is an Eze in Orlu zone of Imo state.
I also think he is the chairman of ndi ezes in imo state.very rich and influential man
Re: Ndigbo Celebrates Igbo Day At Asaba, Delta State by pazienza(m): 9:10am On Oct 28, 2012
Ilomuanya- enemies are awake. What a fine name,better than all these chi and fake foreign names,our forefathers were good at naming.
Re: Ndigbo Celebrates Igbo Day At Asaba, Delta State by oturugo(m): 11:14am On Apr 08, 2013
One_Naira: These are all the pictures I can find online about the event, if anyone has more. Please do not hesitate to post it.

Nice one bro. I like the spirit.
Re: Ndigbo Celebrates Igbo Day At Asaba, Delta State by REVOLUTNIS: 7:50am On Sep 28, 2013
God bless Ndigbo

1 Like

Re: Ndigbo Celebrates Igbo Day At Asaba, Delta State by ihedioramma: 11:03pm On Aug 13, 2014
IS THERE ANY ONE THAT LIVE IN ASABA HERE OR FROM ASABA?

(1) (Reply)

Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? / Is 'kanye' An Igbo Name? / Mighty Gigantic Whale Fish Witness On Alpha Beach Lagos ,during An Ocean Sur

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.