Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,663 members, 7,820,328 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:12 PM

Woman, Clueless About Her Pregnancy For 9 Months - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Woman, Clueless About Her Pregnancy For 9 Months (1829 Views)

My Wife Lost Her Pregnancy In The Hand Of Qauck Doctor / How To Avoid Pregnancy Naturally / Woman Gives Birth Twice In 9 Months (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Woman, Clueless About Her Pregnancy For 9 Months by Ndipe(m): 11:55pm On Jan 26, 2008
It Could Happen To You, Or Someone You Know

User Rating: / 1
PoorBest
By Kate Chukwu
Friday, 25 January 2008

A simple definition of pregnancy is a condition in which a female carries one or more developing offspring within the body. (Ok, the movie ‘Twins’ performed by Arnold Schwarzenegger and Danny DeVito where Arnold was pregnant and had a baby was only fiction!). I did not study medical sciences (neither was I paying attention in my j.s.s.3 class when we are taught ‘The Reproduction System’ in Integrated Science) but I know there are few stages during pregnancy a woman is supposed to go through. Or there are signs a woman should feel at the early, mid or towards the end stage of her pregnancy.

So, yes, I was dumfounded when I heard this story. A family friend of mine in her mid 60s traveled for a short break. Her daughter who is in her late 40s promised to go pick her up from the airport on her return. Now, Mama (as I would call her here) was at the airport feeling all relaxed from her little break in the sun, when she decided to call her daughter (Naomi) to say she would be arriving an hour later than expected. Naomi promised to be at the airport after she felt she should branch in at the hospital which was quite close to her house for a ‘quick chat’ with any doctor on duty. She had felt a sharp pain in her belly that morning while putting some lotion on her leg.

When the doctor looked at Naomi and pressed her belly, he decided to carry checks that surprised her. Lo and behold Naomi was rushed to the theatre, she was in labor!!! The shock and the confusion almost made Naomi go mental. While she was trying to ‘push’, she thought of her car. She had only paid for an hour visit to the hospital at the parking bay, now who knew how long she was going to be in theatre for? She thought of Mama who would be expecting her at the airport. What was she going to do? Her husband who was in his 50s wasn’t planning of another child after they had three children who were now in their early 20s. She had thrown out or given away all her baby items two decades ago. Her life was so ‘normal’ now. Where was she going to start from? As different thoughts invaded her mind, all she could hear was ‘steady now… and push’. And with one last scream, out came out this innocent little boy who had no clue of how he had just come into the world, or what was on his mother’s mind during his quick delivery.

As the medical staff took her to another room after cleaning her and baby up, her mobile phone which had been on all this time in her bag, rang. It was Mama, now waiting to be picked up at the airport! Naomi, felt very tired. What was she going to tell Mama? Who would believe her? If she told Mama about the baby, Mama may collapse at the airport. All she could utter on the phone was “Mama, please give a taxi man my address and come down to the house, I’m really sick”. She begged the doctor to call her husband because she couldn’t even think of anything better to say. Anyway Mama eventually came down to her house. The doctor had already called Naomi’s husband and not before long; the hospital was full with her family and well wishers who came to see before believing.

So that was how I heard the story.

Some of the questions people were asking her were things like; did you not miss your period all these while? Did you not feel flutters at any point? What about baby movements and kicking’s? Did you not feel your belly expanding? Ok, not a lot of pregnant women experience ‘morning sickness’ but did you not feel sick or tired or sleepy at any stage? How about cravings? Where you eating your normal foods? Did your sexual appetite increase or decrease?

There were just too many questions. I did not blame them. Just like me, I wanted to know more. Naomi is only a UK size 16 so you would not consider her as ‘fat’. She had no idea she was pregnant. She did not even want to be. She said the only thing she could remember feeling was a bit hot and flushed during the cold winter but she assumed because of her age that she was entering her menopause.

Now, I believe anything is possible. So if you are in your 40s and you’ve given up hope about having a child, there is still hope for you. On the other hand, if you are in your 40s and you’re playing around unprotected, thinking that you are now ‘safe’, think again. Baby shops are always stocking up new things for those it could happen to.

http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/index.php/content/view/8385/55

PS: I watched another lady made the same startling confession on Oprah's talkshow, about being clueless on her pregnancy, until she was in the process of giving birth.
Re: Woman, Clueless About Her Pregnancy For 9 Months by almondjoy(f): 6:14am On Jan 27, 2008
Yes, it is very possible.  Especially with obese women who still have monthly cycles.  Over here, a woman was only diagnosed with pregancy after complaining of a sharp pain in her tummy.  Upon examination the baby fell out of her vagina and hit the floor--to the shock of all the ER (Emergency room) staff. shocked E be like dream!

The lady, in her 30s, swore she did not know she was pregnant.  This was a true story in my hospital where I work.  The baby lived with some minor fractures. It was about 7-8 months old I believe and was admitted to my department.  Unfortunately died later of unrelated causes!

Another married lady--in her 40's-- was only diagnosed after she was involved in a MVA(motor vehicle accident) and had to be X-rayed for injuries and the radiologist asked her when she was due and she looked at him in amazement.  The rest is history. cheesy

Who the baby daddy?--- lipsrsealed

Ladies, you can still have monthly cycles till your due date and you might think you are just "putting on weight"!  Just make sure you are having protected sex or the activities are with your husbands or baby daddies.  Lest you get the shock of your lives! cheesy

E dey happen oh!  So do not try yourselves! wink  Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!
Re: Woman, Clueless About Her Pregnancy For 9 Months by playmate(f): 7:25am On Jan 27, 2008
wow,wat a story.well it might happen bcs some women usually av big pregnant-like tummies after avin like 3 or 4 children so dey it doznt occur 2 dem dat dey may b pregnant.
Re: Woman, Clueless About Her Pregnancy For 9 Months by amsky(m): 3:37pm On Jan 27, 2008
this happens sometimes. i saw my monthly period till i was about 5months preggy.it's not strange.if you tune in on reality tv,you'll get to see alot of those. not strange.
Re: Woman, Clueless About Her Pregnancy For 9 Months by Ndipe(m): 12:55am On Jan 28, 2008
Almondjoy, let sex between husband and wife.
Re: Woman, Clueless About Her Pregnancy For 9 Months by almondjoy(f): 9:30am On Jan 28, 2008
Ndipe:

Almondjoy, let sex between husband and wife.

I am not stopping sex between husband and wife oooooooooooooooooh! All I am saying is that people should be careful lest what was done in the dark be revealed in the darkest of the night!
Re: Woman, Clueless About Her Pregnancy For 9 Months by chiegemba(f): 9:33am On Jan 28, 2008
almondjoy:

I am not stopping sex between husband and wife oooooooooooooooooh! All I am saying is that people should be careful lest what was done in the dark be revealed in the darkest of the night!

Hey girllll! "Na ur eye b dis?" Happy New Year! grin
Re: Woman, Clueless About Her Pregnancy For 9 Months by almondjoy(f): 9:34am On Jan 28, 2008
chiegemba:

Hey girllll! "Na your eye b this?" Happy New Year! grin

Happy New Year!  I hear say you go marry Uche2nna--for my back! grin

Happy married life oh!  I just dey ves say una no invite me! cheesy
Re: Woman, Clueless About Her Pregnancy For 9 Months by chiegemba(f): 9:38am On Jan 28, 2008
almondjoy:

Happy New Year! I hear say you go marry Uche2nna--for my back! grin

Happy married life oh! I just dey ves say una no invite me! cheesy

Hahahahahahaha! na so dey dey take marry am? no worry if or when dat time go reach i go personally request make Uche2nna fedex u d iv. tongue of cos i no go leave u out 4 d overly merriment!!! grin
Re: Woman, Clueless About Her Pregnancy For 9 Months by almondjoy(f): 9:43am On Jan 28, 2008
chiegemba:

Hahahahahahaha! na so dey dey take marry am? no worry if or when that time go reach i go personally request make Uche2nna fedex u d iv. tongue of because i no go leave u out 4 d overly merriment!!! grin

Thank you jare!  Take care of am for me oooooooooooooooooooh! cheesy  You scarce sha! You just dissappear wen fight "buss" out! grin How the "everything"?  I really miss you oh.  Just waiting for the right time as usual to catch ya brakelight!

Welcome back hon'! kiss
Re: Woman, Clueless About Her Pregnancy For 9 Months by efuah(f): 9:55am On Jan 28, 2008
Yeah, i have seen some before. . . . she was menstruating every month, yet a baby was in there.
Re: Woman, Clueless About Her Pregnancy For 9 Months by chiegemba(f): 10:01am On Jan 28, 2008
almondjoy:

Thank you jare! Take care of am for me oooooooooooooooooooh! cheesy You scarce sha! You just dissappear when fight "buss" out! grin How the "everything"? I really miss you oh. Just waiting for the right time as usual to catch ya brakelight!

Welcome back hon'! kiss
Thanks Girl! "Missed U More" no wahala probably i go come meet u 2 get major tips and learn enough skills tongue. No worry would b around more dis yr grin finished d bulk of my sch thing "thank God"e no 4 easy! c u around then!
Re: Woman, Clueless About Her Pregnancy For 9 Months by almondjoy(f): 1:40pm On Jan 28, 2008
efuah:

Yeah, i have seen some before. . . . she was menstruating every month, yet a baby was in there.

Some Nigerians will swear that one juju thief the pickin come return am! cheesy

chiegemba:

Thanks Girl! "Missed You More" no wahala probably i go come meet you to get major tips and learn enough skills tongue. No worry would b around more this yr grin finished d bulk of my sch thing "thank God"e no 4 easy! c u around then!

Good! I can't wait! Later love! kiss
Re: Woman, Clueless About Her Pregnancy For 9 Months by chiegemba(f): 5:14am On Feb 01, 2008
almondjoy:

Some Nigerians will swear that one juju thief the pickin come return am! cheesy

Good! I can't wait! Later love! kiss

How bodi?
Re: Woman, Clueless About Her Pregnancy For 9 Months by almondjoy(f): 7:06am On Feb 01, 2008
chiegemba:

How bodi?

Bodi dey like abodi! cheesy Work wan kill pesin. I still feel like I am on vacation though. I have not started snoring at work yet! cheesy

See you around girleeeeeeee! kiss

(1) (Reply)

Miscarriages – Symptoms, Causes, Prevention And Treatments / Please , Sack All Doctors Now! By Dr. Biodun Ogungbo / Irregular/ceased Menstruation: How To Get Your Menses Back

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.