Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,412 members, 7,954,647 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 04:37 AM

Is It Right To First Eat Meat When Eating ? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Is It Right To First Eat Meat When Eating ? (2171 Views)

How To Eat Meat In Public? / Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Eat Meat At The End Of Their Meal? / Please Help Me, I Can't Eat Meat Anymore. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Right To First Eat Meat When Eating ? by bolex(m): 9:19pm On Apr 18, 2006
When I was a young guy

My aunty told me

If you eat meat first while eating

You are a THIEF

lol, that does not stop ma ass from eating meat 1st ,

But am I a thief ??

I keep thinking I am when I am about to do this ,

grin grin grin grin

It's been haunting me for years ,

lol
Re: Is It Right To First Eat Meat When Eating ? by flyKUDE(m): 1:48pm On Apr 21, 2006
men! your aunt must have made up that rule.it just doesn't matter what you start with first,meat or food.always remember:their destinations are the same,your stomach. cheesy grin
Re: Is It Right To First Eat Meat When Eating ? by dominobaby(f): 3:33pm On Apr 21, 2006
This is incredible to ma ears! I for one love meat n try to have as many pieces of it in ma meal, n oh yes, i eat one first most times. I think ur aunt made that up n d idea stuck 2 u! Neva heard that before.
Re: Is It Right To First Eat Meat When Eating ? by kimba(m): 6:56am On Apr 24, 2006
@bolex,

yup, me too, I heard that one too.

In fact this is the way I heard it, that in the olden days, the way to catch a thieft was to give them food, and that theives usually eat the meat first, and that for example the thief was given rice and whatever, he would use his hand to pickout/eat the meat(not a spoon)  before using the spoon to eat the rice. grin grin grin grin grin grin

So till today, i eat my food first and even if its the meat left, i still use my spoon/fork to pick my meat,  grin grin

Although i know it isnt true, i just can't use my hand to pick meat and eat, except i have to consiously force myself, what a world!!! just so funny how those their little tricks stuck in my head grin grin grin
Re: Is It Right To First Eat Meat When Eating ? by Rhea(f): 11:47am On Apr 27, 2006
I think it's like this;

Eating the meat last during meals is a trick employed by parents to motivate kids to finish their meals. Most kids feast themselves on biscuits and confectionaries which have very little good nutritional value. During the main meals they tend to be picky and reluctant to eat.

Hence, when u give a child a plate of (say) rice with a lump of chicken in it, the chicken usually is the main attraction, but is presented by the parents as a prize for finishing the food. Hence the tradition to leave the meat till the very end.

I still do that myself, consciously or unonsciously cheesy

Life's like that u know
Re: Is It Right To First Eat Meat When Eating ? by otolorin(m): 3:12pm On Apr 27, 2006
i veary much agree with rhea, dats the basics.
wy would you want to eat the rice wen u've already had the drumstick that came with it?.
Re: Is It Right To First Eat Meat When Eating ? by eveseh(f): 7:16pm On Apr 30, 2006
well as for me is right when ur one is eating,
but when am eating with my mom i dont eat the meat frust,
i'll wait untill she gaves me,or she tells me to take it
Re: Is It Right To First Eat Meat When Eating ? by Oluschenco(m): 1:45pm On Sep 16, 2009
My mummy believes it's only thieves that eat meat first, cause they will have to steal from someone else during meal.
Re: Is It Right To First Eat Meat When Eating ? by Dclique(m): 6:36pm On Sep 16, 2009
I totally agree with Rhea,
Its just a trick for kids.
Poster you are grown now, eat it when you want to.
Afterall,its yours.
Re: Is It Right To First Eat Meat When Eating ? by Nobody: 1:51am On Sep 17, 2009
when we start making pot roast and stewless steak in Naija all these attitudes will be history.(yeah right- as if people will ever give up eating stew)

na poverty dey cause am but they have superstitions about people who eat the meat first before the meal.
Re: Is It Right To First Eat Meat When Eating ? by Shentz(f): 8:38am On Sep 17, 2009
What Rhea said is sooo true works for me anyway that's why I tend to eat the meat last.
Re: Is It Right To First Eat Meat When Eating ? by german007(m): 8:37pm On Sep 17, 2009
poster abeg if u noh wan chop ur meat, give am to me make i demolish am, lol
Re: Is It Right To First Eat Meat When Eating ? by Fhemmmy: 9:26pm On Sep 17, 2009
Meat is a good protein, so eat it while eating, or after eating, just eat meat.
Some Nigerians eats after, cos they dont have enuf meat on the plate, if u have a plate full of meat, you will take one spoon, and one meat.
God will provide. grin
Re: Is It Right To First Eat Meat When Eating ? by MrCrackles(m): 9:28pm On Sep 17, 2009
As long as you eat meat, who cares!
Re: Is It Right To First Eat Meat When Eating ? by Epi: 11:14pm On Sep 17, 2009
very funny thread grin grin grin no lie
Re: Is It Right To First Eat Meat When Eating ? by TOPE20001(f): 11:25pm On Sep 17, 2009
lol. . .does it really matter? well i guess it does if u eat with one meat only grin
Re: Is It Right To First Eat Meat When Eating ? by german007(m): 11:27pm On Sep 17, 2009
nah whole chicken i dey demolish everytime i chop, so i can afford to eat a piece of meat everytime i eat a spoon of rice, its all depends if your ajebutter   or ajepako,  Bros maybe u were ajepako growing up, so dat single piece of meat meant a lot to u and your aunty, lol
Re: Is It Right To First Eat Meat When Eating ? by rubi(f): 2:51pm On Sep 22, 2009
eating the meat last only encourages you to finish the food b/c if you eat the meat first you might not have the appetite to continue eating again
Re: Is It Right To First Eat Meat When Eating ? by SeanT21(f): 6:54am On Sep 23, 2009
When younger mother said eat the rice before the meat ooo. Now,its whatever!!
Re: Is It Right To First Eat Meat When Eating ? by HarryPotter1(m): 10:08am On Sep 23, 2009
i dont thing there is anything wrong in eating meat first.it all depends on u 2 decide which will go first.
Re: Is It Right To First Eat Meat When Eating ? by kearra(f): 4:28am On Oct 02, 2009
In my house when we eat i always have the meat mixed in small pieces, so i can eat both
but when it comes too big meats I eat them last , , more room on the plat lol grin
I find after I prepare the meal and then eat it if any meat left behind my husband will take it and I miss out so i eat a little of each as i go he eats meat last so I try to follow his lead so as not to insult his culture

yet he is always keen to finish the meat even mine from my plate if i slowdown to digest my meal.
I'm a slow eater and always last to finish, I don't know why that is either
Re: Is It Right To First Eat Meat When Eating ? by chrisical(m): 10:56am On Oct 03, 2009
I care less about that.
Re: Is It Right To First Eat Meat When Eating ? by Fhemmmy: 10:30pm On Oct 03, 2009
Tell your auntie to lose the poverty mentality.
Re: Is It Right To First Eat Meat When Eating ? by agathamari(f): 5:21pm On Oct 13, 2009
it doesnt matter what you eat first or last or in the middle
Re: Is It Right To First Eat Meat When Eating ? by Nobody: 6:45pm On Oct 13, 2009
A doctor said meat first before food,because meat is proteinous&it will digest first b4 carbohydrate which is solid.but d choice is yours,cus its ur life
Re: Is It Right To First Eat Meat When Eating ? by mamagee6(f): 2:27am On Oct 16, 2009
It's not the proper way to eat. smiley smiley
Re: Is It Right To First Eat Meat When Eating ? by Fhemmmy: 9:09pm On Oct 16, 2009
,mama-gee:

It's not the proper way to eat. smiley smiley
says who?
Re: Is It Right To First Eat Meat When Eating ? by Abayomin70(m): 8:13am On Jun 09, 2011
Says the young boy anty

(1) (Reply)

What You Need To Step Up Your Restaurant/food Canteen Is This Machine. / See How I Made Palm Oil Stew With Scent Leaves (pic And Video) / Pls What're The Contents Of Trophy Stout??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.