Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,114 members, 7,814,914 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:11 PM

Should NYSC Stop Including Phone Numbers Of Corpers In The Year book? - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Should NYSC Stop Including Phone Numbers Of Corpers In The Year book? (9501 Views)

Where Can I Get Nysc Year Book? / Picture Of Corpers Being Punished By Soldiers In Camp / Picture Of Corpers (ladies) Fighting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should NYSC Stop Including Phone Numbers Of Corpers In The Year book? by oliidell(m): 10:45am On Oct 29, 2012
Sometime ago, about a year after my youth service, I received a call from an unknown number and this is a summary of what the person said;"...that we did NYSC together in the same organization, but he was in a different department.

He presently works in Nigerian Agip Oil Company PHC, AGIP is presently having a hushed internal recruitment which he wants me to benefit from...that he would need N100,000 to settle ppl.

He said I should bring whatever I have and he would assist with the balance-which I wud repay when I get d job..
Of course I told him I don't remember him, but he mentioned about 5 other guys dat served with me and sounded very convincing. we were more 100 corpers in NNPC Napims, so I believed him. My saving grace was dat I was totally broke, so I ddnt credit his account.

A friend of mine wasn't so lucky, he lost about N50k.. I have since realized these scammers poach numbers and details from NYSC year books.

So pls let sm1 here with clouth convince NYSC to stop publishing phone numbers of out-going corpers in the year book.

Share your experiences too

3 Likes

Re: Should NYSC Stop Including Phone Numbers Of Corpers In The Year book? by Mustay(m): 2:36pm On Oct 30, 2012
Exactly! Unfortunately, we have not a data protection act in this country. It's the same story - they make use of details seen on the book but you have to scrutinize such person to know when they'll fall.

Platoon?

CDS group?

POP date etc are questions you can use to reconcile the accounts. It ought to be a voluntary thing and the corper's permission should be sought before publishing such a thing called 'yearbook' cos aside 4 or 5 pages, those books I've seen so far lack substance. Hope we get no dangerous occurences before the authorities take note for carelessness may even affect the smartest of persons.
Re: Should NYSC Stop Including Phone Numbers Of Corpers In The Year book? by ayee001: 4:07pm On Oct 30, 2012
May be a lawyer should take this up in the law court. Who knows, he can create a niche for himself through that.
Re: Should NYSC Stop Including Phone Numbers Of Corpers In The Year book? by yuzedo: 4:07pm On Oct 30, 2012
Do not annoy Naija babes.. They are waiting for Wizkid, Davido and Lynxxx to serve so that they can steal their phone numbers! grin

.. Meanwhile, nobody stole K-Solo's number! cry

P.S. Anybody that falls for such a scam is DAFT! No offence...

5 Likes

Re: Should NYSC Stop Including Phone Numbers Of Corpers In The Year book? by fittty(m): 4:09pm On Oct 30, 2012
Who's forcing you to include ur real number? undecided
Re: Should NYSC Stop Including Phone Numbers Of Corpers In The Year book? by gulfer: 4:13pm On Oct 30, 2012
Why the Hala na!The NYSC does not compel you to put your phone and email in the year book. It's just that most corpers wish to have a link to each other after the NYSC, which is why most are eager to put their phone numbers and email. I just chatted with a fellow corper whom I met way back 2003 in Kaiama, Bayelsa State. Its got its good and bad side; public listing of phone number and email.

1 Like

Re: Should NYSC Stop Including Phone Numbers Of Corpers In The Year book? by Nobody: 4:15pm On Oct 30, 2012
Use your brain †☺ scrutinise calls, putting numbers there is a very good deed. The usefulness out weighs the disadvantage.

1 Like

Re: Should NYSC Stop Including Phone Numbers Of Corpers In The Year book? by Mustay(m): 4:19pm On Oct 30, 2012
fittty: Who's forcing you to include ur real number? undecided

A corper provides NYSC with a fake number at his or her own peril. There are numerous instances they may need to contact you.

Some of these people do not have their pictures on the book but have their details therein so methinks NYSC makes use of the registration details of batch corps members to publish in the magazine.

1 Like

Re: Should NYSC Stop Including Phone Numbers Of Corpers In The Year book? by Sijo01(f): 4:19pm On Oct 30, 2012

God bless you..... Was about asking the same question.
Re: Should NYSC Stop Including Phone Numbers Of Corpers In The Year book? by dridowu: 4:20pm On Oct 30, 2012
Personally, i believe d phone numbers are good but i just believe u have to be careful of whoever calls u, morever u have to make enquiry before u make a step. I also have receive numerous SCAM calls and messages abt job i neva applied for telling me to do 1 or 2 tins b4 i got d job. Be VIGILANT . Dats ma opinion
Re: Should NYSC Stop Including Phone Numbers Of Corpers In The Year book? by ochallo: 4:21pm On Oct 30, 2012
I got the same call about 2 years ago and he sounded very familiar but i knew i didn't know him, because i know people very well and the name he called was quite familiar and i knew people who bore that name. @ op your friend deserved what he got, when you leave in a corrupt environment and you have allowed that corruption to possess you , you start misbehaving. Why would you give 50k to settle someone who would give you a job, you are greedy, corrupt and foolish. My was N500,000 and i was to buy a product and supply the company but i immediately called people i know and asked them about the product and they said it was non existent and that supply of products to the companies would not be done by individuals but by tenders. When you have to do something very fast for a very unrealistic goal , then you should stop and think , putting your greed and selfishness aside, and also pray the spirit of god guides your every decision.
Re: Should NYSC Stop Including Phone Numbers Of Corpers In The Year book? by crusufixo(m): 4:22pm On Oct 30, 2012
Corpers can choose between putting their real numbers or not putting it at all. I had a similar experience too but i instantly knew that it was a scam cos why would a firm require you to drop money for the use of your services. Like someone said earlier , anybody that falls for this kind of scam is a d.u.n.c.e ( no offense ).
Re: Should NYSC Stop Including Phone Numbers Of Corpers In The Year book? by Sijo01(f): 4:22pm On Oct 30, 2012
Mustay:

A corper provides NYSC with a fake number at his or her own peril. There are numerous instances they may need to contact you.

Some of these people do not have their pictures on the book but have their details therein so methinks NYSC makes use of the registration details of batch corps members to publish in the magazine.

Me thought its the CLO of your Local Govt that collect fresh data's and submit to the approprate quarters not the original one you submitted with NYSC...... Kinda confuse, or is it done differently?
Re: Should NYSC Stop Including Phone Numbers Of Corpers In The Year book? by Nobody: 4:26pm On Oct 30, 2012
Someone tried to pull that scam on me, i thought about it for a while and asked the fella a simple question; describe me? The person started giving me a lot of funny answers.
With the kind of names the person mentioned afterwards, i instinctively knew the person got everything from the year book.

1 Like

Re: Should NYSC Stop Including Phone Numbers Of Corpers In The Year book? by MMM2(m): 4:27pm On Oct 30, 2012
It happen 2 me yrs back, like 5 different set called me & 3 sent me a text message.

But I waz a ghost copper dose dayz, so I knew dey where lying & also fraudsters.
Re: Should NYSC Stop Including Phone Numbers Of Corpers In The Year book? by saydfact(m): 4:29pm On Oct 30, 2012
MY CONCLUSION NA THIEVE DEY CATCH THIEVE....................SM1 JUST CALL U AND U SEND MONEY....GREED DON KILL NNA....
MY EXPERIENCE WITH THE NUMBERS ARE POSITIVE, U LOSE A CONTACT, GO BACK THERE AND PICK IT UP.....

KEEP THE NUMBERS ROLLING....... lipsrsealed kiss lipsrsealed
Re: Should NYSC Stop Including Phone Numbers Of Corpers In The Year book? by kelvincoll(m): 4:31pm On Oct 30, 2012
My Sister just got such text from a scammer yesternyt and started crying remembering her experience 2 years back which cost her about 10k embarassed embarassed

It pathetic that such people can think of scamming youths in searh for means of survival... SMH.
Re: Should NYSC Stop Including Phone Numbers Of Corpers In The Year book? by Nobody: 4:33pm On Oct 30, 2012
yuzedo: Do not annoy Naija babes.. They are waiting for Wizkid, Davido and Lynxxx to serve so that they can steal their phone numbers! grin

.. Meanwhile, nobody stole K-Solo's number! cry

P.S. Anybody that falls for such a scam is DAFT! No offence...

My brother don talk am finish. I didn't bother to read the rest.

1 Like

Re: Should NYSC Stop Including Phone Numbers Of Corpers In The Year book? by Temi231(f): 4:37pm On Oct 30, 2012
Same thing some set of jobless scammers did to me. But trust me now, me sef i be smart babe. I got like four text message telling me that he can help me in getting job in shell coy that i should just pay 25k. Where i wan get dt kind money at that time. Just smh for dem sha.
NYSC make una stop to dey publish peoples phone number in your year book oh.#mouthsealed grin lipsrsealed
Re: Should NYSC Stop Including Phone Numbers Of Corpers In The Year book? by Blofeld(m): 4:51pm On Oct 30, 2012
oliidell: Sometime ago, about a year after my youth service, I received a call from an unknown number and this is a summary of what the person said;"...that we did NYSC together in the same organization, but he was in a different department.

He presently works in Nigerian Agip Oil Company PHC, AGIP is presently having a hushed internal recruitment which he wants me to benefit from...that he would need N100,000 to settle ppl.

He said I should bring whatever I have and he would assist with the balance-which I wud repay when I get d job..
Of course I told him I don't remember him, but he mentioned about 5 other guys dat served with me and sounded very convincing. we were more 100 corpers in NNPC Napims, so I believed him. My saving grace was dat I was totally broke, so I ddnt credit his account.

A friend of mine wasn't so lucky, he lost about N50k.. I have since realized these scammers poach numbers and details from NYSC year books.

So pls let sm1 here with clouth convince NYSC to stop publishing phone numbers of out-going corpers in the year book.

I've been called twice by unknown people using this same format. But I quickly realized they were scammers and did not bother to take them seriously. I also realized that they must have extracted my details from the NYSC year-book but I still think this is not enough reason to exclude phone numbers from year-books. Without these phone numbers one may lose important contacts. My advice is that job-seekers should try and verify the true identities of these "former colleagues" who want to help with jobs before parting with cash. I thank God you were not duped, it wouldn't have been funny. Many cheers!
Re: Should NYSC Stop Including Phone Numbers Of Corpers In The Year book? by Nobody: 4:56pm On Oct 30, 2012
oliidell: Sometime ago, about a year after my youth service, I received a call from an unknown number and this is a summary of what the person said;"...that we did NYSC together in the same organization, but he was in a different department.

How will a graduate fall for this?

Well, e be like say dem dey look face for that yearbook. Dem dey identify maga face. cheesy

For God's sake, how will a company like Agip ask person to pay money before being given job. This is very annoying. One feels shy being addressed as a Nigerian graduate with this kind of things these co-graduates do.

I don't have any issue with NYSC publishing phone numbers. It's been helpful in contacting those I lost contact with.
Re: Should NYSC Stop Including Phone Numbers Of Corpers In The Year book? by groovie(m): 4:58pm On Oct 30, 2012
i dont think its a bad idea cos i have been able to recconnect with important people i didnt even bother to store their number, besides if u didnt drop ur correct details u will put ur self at risk of losing important info, and that is not the only place u drop ur number for public view na, scams can come from any angle so keep ya eyes open.
Re: Should NYSC Stop Including Phone Numbers Of Corpers In The Year book? by Nobody: 4:59pm On Oct 30, 2012
i just finish my service dis year. Including all ur details in d year book is voluntary.
Re: Should NYSC Stop Including Phone Numbers Of Corpers In The Year book? by puplin(f): 4:59pm On Oct 30, 2012
Sijo01:

Me thought its the CLO of your Local Govt that collect fresh data's and submit to the approprate quarters not the original one you submitted with NYSC...... Kinda confuse, or is it done differently?
That's exactly how its done, so am wondering how the issue take concern NYSC. Nobody is forced to give their details though. Some of my colleagues didn't include theirs...no biggie. And why would anyone decide to call me after I've collected my discharge certificate....to tell me I wón that scam nysc foundation lottery?? Do we know how many people have changed lines since. Na mumu dey fall for that kain scam jor
Re: Should NYSC Stop Including Phone Numbers Of Corpers In The Year book? by Curiouscity(m): 5:00pm On Oct 30, 2012

So you prefer corp members to provide fake phone numbers rather than the authorities
to do the right thing and seek consent before publishing people's personal info?
If you are a graduate, then I am sure you'll do everything to see Nigeria remain
the way it is or become worse.
This year book is of little or no value except to enrich the state directors and others who
are involved in publishing such and selling at very exorbitant price to the out-going corp members.
As such, some states use any available info you provided them at the time of registration.
Re: Should NYSC Stop Including Phone Numbers Of Corpers In The Year book? by kpozite(m): 5:04pm On Oct 30, 2012
Poster if you believe everything you are told without thinking it over then you will make a good victim to the numerous frudsters around in many ways not only this way.
I'm saying this because I got a similar call and I followed it along the line I had a second thought and I asked the guy his NYSC state code which he told me then I crossed checked it with that on the year book lo and behold the names were different so case closed.
I only regretted the time I spent hoping that I'd get a job in Shell.
Re: Should NYSC Stop Including Phone Numbers Of Corpers In The Year book? by Nobody: 5:11pm On Oct 30, 2012
I cant boldly state what obtains in other states, but where i served, the choice was yours,not nysc's.

With the above, if you felt more 'funny'calls than beneficial ones would come your way by so doing, you simply dont fill in your number.
Re: Should NYSC Stop Including Phone Numbers Of Corpers In The Year book? by kpozite(m): 5:12pm On Oct 30, 2012
puplin: That's exactly how its done, so am wondering how the issue take concern NYSC. Nobody is forced to give their details though. Some of my colleagues didn't include theirs...no biggie. And why would anyone decide to call me after I've collected my discharge certificate....to tell me I wón that scam nysc foundation lottery?? Do we know how many people have changed lines since. Na mumu dey fall for that kain scam jor
@ bolded thank you
The bottomline is ''look before you leap''
That person wey get opportunity to put people for Agip don put him village people finish? wey e go get time for you a mere co corper.
Re: Should NYSC Stop Including Phone Numbers Of Corpers In The Year book? by drealnamdy(m): 5:31pm On Oct 30, 2012
;DWell I jst rounded up my service year with d last set that just got their discharge letter just this october...I recently got a text message from one anonymous fellow who identified himself as a close friend and requested that I should contact him for. A mouth watering job ..(Yeah right)...I gave d guy  threat of his life by telling him that I would take his message to a shrine to confirm his identity and nail him...
Re: Should NYSC Stop Including Phone Numbers Of Corpers In The Year book? by Smartiegurl(f): 5:37pm On Oct 30, 2012
When u fall 4 dat kyd of trap,u got blame ur self. Be smart & wise in wat eva u do.
Re: Should NYSC Stop Including Phone Numbers Of Corpers In The Year book? by udoitam(m): 5:39pm On Oct 30, 2012
I was the editor of Anamkopa batch A 2011/12. Let me correct one impression, NYSC dosent use registration data, but rather CLO's and AI's collect datas and passport of corps members to the Head of Public Relations who then foward such docs to the editors to pagemake and fill the datas.
Anyone thinking NYSC should scrap d use of phone numbers is wrong. Let me share a personal experience. I got fraustrated at Lokoja after a robbery incident late on a night, June 15th on a trip to ABJ. I picked my phone sms my sister at home (uyo) to look for any of my batch corps member who is from Kogi state in the year book. She found 2 contacts n gave me. After 35mins one of them came to my rescue, took me to his apartment. I had shelter for the night n prepared to continue my trip d next morning of which he paid my bills. Plz rule out the idea of cutting asking NYSC to scrap off contacts on year book!
Re: Should NYSC Stop Including Phone Numbers Of Corpers In The Year book? by controlseven: 5:41pm On Oct 30, 2012
Smartie gurl: When u fall 4 dat kyd of trap,u got blame ur self. Be smart & wise in wat eva u do.
Don't tell me u're wise! How old are you sef?

(1) (2) (Reply)

JOIN THIS WHATSAPP GROUP FOR NYSC BATCH 'C' / 10 Best States To Serve As A Corper In NYSC Nigeria / Using My NYSC Certificate As Collateral To Get Loan - Good Or Bad Idea

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.