Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,669 members, 7,820,349 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:25 PM

The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease (56424 Views)

The Facts About Condoms / Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease / Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Amynamerica: 1:38pm On Oct 30, 2012
Abali1: It was after this crisis, that I really knew that God is indeed a WISDOM.
Before the crisis, our promotional exam was fast approaching. And I really stressed myself reading (cos I wanted to impress my dad). You won't believe that I came back the weekend before the exam day, after staying in hospital for almost 2 or 3 weeks and I passed and got promoted.

So, when the man dropped me at my mum's office the woman just prepared and rushed me to the hospital. The same hospital I stated above. The doctor ran a couple of test and the result came back....MALARIA, TYPHOID AND PNEUMONIA.(i hope that is the spelling)
I don't know if it was the typoid, but after each blood transfusion my blood level will go up and before you know it has dried up again. This time around, my doctor was as confused as anyone. But, to God be the Glory I pulled through that one.

Its actually as a result of the malaria in ur system that your blood kept drying up so fast. That's the reason why SCD patients are advised to avoid getting bitten by mosquitoes.
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 1:40pm On Oct 30, 2012
Yellowing of the skin and eyes: these are signs of jaundice, resulting from rapid breakdown of RBC. This is one of the most recognizable feature of a sickler.

Delayed growth and puberty in children and adults: the slow rate of growth is caused by a shortage of red blood cells.
( To me this is a blessing in disguise. I can actually pass off as someone in his early twenties. And you can imagine the effect it has on people when they see someone who has achieved somethings at a very young age, especially the University babes.... LOL)

Infections: In general, both children and adults with SCD are more vunerable to infections and have a harder time fighting them off once they start. Especially bacterial Infection.
Personall hygiene is highly necessary for those who have SCD. More especially, they should be careful what they eat and drink and where such food is being prepared. (My last serious crises was caused by food poisoning)
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 1:43pm On Oct 30, 2012
Amynamerica:

Its actually as a result of the malaria in ur system that your blood kept drying up so fast. That's the reason why SCD patients are advised to avoid getting bitten by mosquitoes.

Thank you for your contribution. I honestly didn't know what was happening and this happened in the early 90's.
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by abiL(f): 1:46pm On Oct 30, 2012
nysot:

In Genetics, during crossing, the possibility of you giving birth to a sickler is from the fourth child, the first child would be AA, the second and third children would be AS while the fourth would be SS.

Nope!!!!

Because when the chromosomes pair up, it's done randomly, so no one can predict which chromosome from the the mum, will pair up with the dad's. it's called random allocation.

What you're typing is what you've learnt from secondary school where they show you 4 possibilities, when in fact there are thousands of ways chromosomes randomly pair up.

3 Likes

Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Amynamerica: 1:49pm On Oct 30, 2012
blink182: The oldest I know should be 83 years now.

Herbal practitioners, have gone really far but I believe as far as this disease is concerned Cellod-S is at the fore front. Presently, stage 2 of clinical trials is being done. When it passes, the drug can then be sold to institutions and chemists. Really can't wait for that to happen. Sufferers should be able to walk into any chemist and buy relief.

Don't wait!!! Start taking CELLOD-s. I am on it already (started 3months ago) and it works wonders. I couldn't thrive on NICOSAN cos while I was on that, whenever my period starts, I used to experience serious crisis.

Drink lots of water. Water helps to detoxify the system thereby cleansing the liver and ridding ur eyes of the yellow tinge.
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by abiL(f): 1:54pm On Oct 30, 2012
On another note, Abali1 I'm really enjoying your posts and I'm learning from your story.

Just had to ask my mum now what my blood group is because I've never really felt a need to know. It's not very common in the western society for people to start worrying about their blood group.

I learnt about SCA in college, but I didn't feel I was in danger of having an AS blood type, none of us did (silly me).

But yeah I've asked my mum, and I'm AA. I feel relieved.

Thanks for sharing your story with us, and I pray you never relapse or suffer another crisis.

1 Like

Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 2:00pm On Oct 30, 2012
abiL: On another note, Abali1 I'm really enjoying your posts and I'm learning from your story.

Just had to ask my mum now what my blood group is because I've never really felt a need to know. It's not very common in the western society for people to start worrying about their blood group.

I learnt about SCA in college, but I didn't feel I was in danger of having an AS blood type, none of us did (silly me).

Thanks for sharing your story with us, and I pray you never relapse or suffer another crisis.

Thanks for your contribution. Please, you also need to show more concern now that you already know your genotype. SCD, like I have pointed out earlier occurs mainly in people of African descent. Awareness and knowledge of this blood disease will go a long way to help.
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Nobody: 2:04pm On Oct 30, 2012
abiL: On another note, Abali1 I'm really enjoying your posts and I'm learning from your story.

Genotype and Blood types are two different things. Genotypes are classified into AA, AS and SS while blood types are classified into A, B, AB and O.
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by abiL(f): 2:04pm On Oct 30, 2012
Abali1:

Thanks for your contribution. Please, you also need to show more concern now that you already know your genotype. SCD, like I have pointed out earlier occurs mainly in people of African descent. Awareness and knowledge of this blood disease will go a long way to help.

I am from African descent. But like most things in life, people aren't really concerned until its happening to someone else close to them. Which I'm guilty of having that mentality.

If you've got any charity in Nigeria on creating awareness for sickle cell, I'll be happy to contribute financially and with research
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 2:06pm On Oct 30, 2012
Amynamerica:

Don't wait!!! Start taking CELLOD-s. I am on it already (started 3months ago) and it works wonders. I couldn't thrive on NICOSAN cos while I was on that, whenever my period starts, I used to experience serious crisis.

Drink lots of water. Water helps to detoxify the system thereby cleansing the liver and ridding ur eyes of the yellow tinge.

Cellod - S is really doing wonders. I got to know about it here on NL( thanks to the NL TEAM).
The usefulness of water in the life of a sickler cannot be over emphasised. Please, Warriors out there drink as many "portable water" as you can find. I believe God in His wisdom made water to be free. Yes Free. Get water from the tap and boil it or even fetch it from a clean running stream and boil it.

2 Likes

Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by abiL(f): 2:07pm On Oct 30, 2012
ItsModella:
Genotype and Blood types are two different things. Genotypes are classified into AA, AS and SS while blood types are classified into A, B, AB and O.

Yes ma! My bloody type is O+ and my geneo is AA. Happy?
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Nobody: 2:08pm On Oct 30, 2012
abiL:

loooool...yes.
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 2:11pm On Oct 30, 2012
abiL:

I am from African descent. But like most things in life, people aren't really concerned until its happening to someone else close to them. Which I'm guilty of having that mentality.

If you've got any charity in Nigeria on creating awareness for sickle cell, I'll be happy to contribute financially and with research

My dear I have a project in mind, but I will really love to start it after am married with kids. So that when I talk, I will be using myself as a Living Testimony. I believe in a year or two I will be ready.
I can really vouch for the Sickle Cell Foundation at LUTH. It's recognised by the government, but I don't know what they use the money the realise for.
Making research and reading up literature about SCD will help you to be in a better position to spread the awareness.
Thank you.
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by OzReal(m): 2:26pm On Oct 30, 2012
Let me preface by saying that there is no guarantee in life, but these steps do help in proper management of SCD especially the younger ones who are still not sure of how their body works(teenagers especially):

1. For those who are AS and find out that their partner or intended spouse are AS/SS please don't get married, it may be hard to let go now but in the long run it'll be one of the best decisions you'll ever make. SCD patients don't only go through physical pain, in fact it is even more painful to watch your mother cry when you(SCD patient) are in pain and her knowing there isn't much she can do or watch your father with tears burning in his eyes but trying his best to stay strong for his son/daughter and hoping for the best.

2. SCD patients, avoid the temptation of the need to belong especially in a social setting; i know this is hard when you see your fellow guys drinking, merry and having fun with the ladies, we can't do without the females so have fun with that but always be safe wink. My main concern here would be drinking and smoking, please this is very dangerous, if you must drink it must be done MODERATELY. Also, you may be tempted to play football or any other rigorous sport, but this isn't advisable because there is a certainty that you would go into crisis/crises. Again I wouldn't say avoid sports and exercise altogether, but I would advise that you engage in cardiac-respiratory form of exercises, if you engage in body-building to impress the ladies, do so MODERATELY; you don't need to build up like Arnold Schazenneger( abi wetin be him name again sef, in fact TERMINATOR), our girls na financial muscle dem like angry

3. Avoid weather extremes, especially stuffy environments in Nigeria especially due to the hot weather. I know say NEPA no dey make am easy, but when you find yourself in any stuffy or very hot environment, please remember to stay properly hydrated and respired.

4. Follow you medications religiously. I don't know about all the drugs for SCD, but I do know that Folic acid(folate) is one of the most important because it helps in the production of red blood cells, which are easily destroyed in the SCD patient due to the sickle-shape of the blood cells.

5. Don't do anything strenuous and overly rigorous when you don't have to.

Finally, always be positive in your thinking; this is difficult especially when in crisis. We have been stigmatized at times, we have also been pitied at times, even when we hate this more than Seun and his cohorts hate the mere mention of the G-word lipsrsealed grin, we have gone through unimaginable pain(physically and emotionally), yet we are still standing strong and marching ahead(others have not been so fortunate). Remember that crisis and pain is a certainty of our existence and there isn't much one can do to change it, what we can definitely do is to properly manage it when it comes. To intending couples please make sure your genotypes are compatible, if your genotypes aren't, please let go now. It is better to part ways now and endure moment of heartache than a life of constant worry(who knows there may be something better for you ahead), we are fortunate to have an advancement in science that has made it possible for us to know these things, our parents and grandparents weren't so fortunate.

4 Likes

Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by abiL(f): 2:28pm On Oct 30, 2012
Abali1:

My dear I have a project in mind, but I will really love to start it after am married with kids. So that when I talk, I will be using myself as a Living Testimony. I believe in a year or two I will be ready.
I can really vouch for the Sickle Cell Foundation at LUTH. It's recognised by the government, but I don't know what they use the money the realise for.
Making research and reading up literature about SCD will help you to be in a better position to spread the awareness.
Thank you.

Due to work commitments and what not, spreading awareness will not be possible for me tbh. I'll let family and friends know, but when you're ready to set your project up, and you need help, just contact me through email.

Personal experience is always the best thing to use, because you can't really express what people with SCA are going through unless you've been there yourself.

Good luck with everything.
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Idowuogbo(f): 2:40pm On Oct 30, 2012
abiL:

correct!!emmm.. dump ya boyfriend joor! my bros is segzie!!!
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by abiL(f): 2:47pm On Oct 30, 2012
Idowuogbo:
correct!!emmm.. dump ya boyfriend joor! my bros is segzie!!!

Haha is he the one with the bible passage tattoo'd on him?

That will make you my sister in law... I'll pass!! grin tongue
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 3:52pm On Oct 30, 2012
@ozReal, thanks for that wonderful post. Let's keep it real bro. I used to try that building stuff, before my friend cautioned me. I for don spoil this beautiful slim body.
@abil, I will do that when am ready.... just need to take one babe to the alter before I start.
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Nobody: 3:58pm On Oct 30, 2012
Amynamerica:

I've been on cellod-s for more than 10 years. I took it as root mixed with alcohol and alligator pepper, I was there when it became tea in a cup, capsules in a cup and finally capsules in blisters.

Now I take it for taking sake every now and then and its because I have a very bad case of Scd. There are patients on cellod-s that have totally recovered.

1 Like

Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Nobody: 4:05pm On Oct 30, 2012
Abali1:

Thank you.
is the sickle cell foundation at luth the one being headed by Professor Akinyaju?
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by patrick2(m): 4:06pm On Oct 30, 2012
Abali1:

Cellod - S is really doing wonders. I got to know about it here on NL( thanks to the NL TEAM).
The usefulness of water in the life of a sickler cannot be over emphasised. Please, Warriors out there drink as many "portable water" as you can find. I believe God in His wisdom made water to be free. Yes Free. Get water from the tap and boil it or even fetch it from a clean running stream and boil it.

I am pleased to be associated with this important topic and have learnt a lot.

We are seven(7) in my family from the same mother. Six (6) boys and one (1) girl. Two of my younger brothers have the sicle cell challenges. The senior one died at the age of 25 in 1993 during the Abiola uprising in Lagos.His death was very painful because it could have been avoided with proper treatment.When he had The crises, what he needed then was blood infusion but instead, the ignorant doctors transfused water into him and he died due to lack of blood. When the doctors realised what happend, it was too late.

The junior one is still very much alive doing his tailoring business. Managing him has not been very easy but thanks to my sister and the husband who took up the medical challenges.

I appreciate all what Abali1 has been saying because I know what my brothers passed through during their crises.

The crises used to be frequent but has reduced since the junior one was 25 years and above. The junior one who is now 37 years lived much better live than before. The crises has not gone completely, may be once or twice in a year when he stresess himself too much.

At the age of 37, the family felt that it is time for him to marry. His marriage comes up at the end of this month (November 2012). But the first thing we did was to take the girl he is to marry to a family doctor who checked her genotype and confirmed that she is ok to go for the marriage.

Now that you have mentioned something about a drug called Cellod- S, where can I get the drug. You know that as a new husband, the young man may want to impress the new wife in bed and could run into health problems if caution is not taken. This is where this drug (Cellod -s) will be handy. Pls advice on how I can get the drug so that it will further assist the young man in his new adventure and help him to live a more healthy life. Thanks
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Nobody: 4:41pm On Oct 30, 2012
patrick2:

I am pleased to be associated with this important topic and have learnt a lot.

We are seven(7) in my family from the same mother. Six (6) boys and one (1) girl. Two of my younger brothers have the sicle cell challenges. The senior one died at the age of 25 in 1993 during the Abiola uprising in Lagos.His death was very painful because it could have been avoided with proper treatment.When he had The crises, what he needed then was blood infusion but instead, the ignorant doctors transfused water into him and he died due to lack of blood. When the doctors realised what happend, it was too late.

The junior one is still very much alive doing his tailoring business. Managing him has not been very easy but thanks to my sister and the husband who took up the medical challenges.

I appreciate all what Abali1 has been saying because I know what my brothers passed through during their crises.

The crises used to be frequent but has reduced since the junior one was 25 years and above. The junior one who is now 37 years lived much better live than before. The crises has not gone completely, may be once or twice in a year when he stresess himself too much.

At the age of 37, the family felt that it is time for him to marry. His marriage comes up at the end of this month (November 2012). But the first thing we did was to take the girl he is to marry to a family doctor who checked her genotype and confirmed that she is ok to go for the marriage.

Now that you have mentioned something about a drug called Cellod- S, where can I get the drug. You know that as a new husband, the young man may want to impress the new wife in bed and could run into health problems if caution is not taken. This is where this drug (Cellod -s) will be handy. Pls advice on how I can get the drug so that it will further assist the young man in his new adventure and help him to live a more healthy life. Thanks

visit their website, www.ormedsupremeoption.com all the information you need is there.
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 5:18pm On Oct 30, 2012
blink182: is the sickle cell foundation at luth the one being headed by Professor Akinyaju?

I believe the sickle cell foundation is at Idiaraba, I mentioned LUTH cos it's opposite it. I have not been there myself.
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 5:22pm On Oct 30, 2012
blink182: visit their website, www.ormedsupremeoption.com all the information you need is there.

Patrick2, just visit the website as blink suggested. Actually I aslo got to know about the drug here on NL. Believe you me, the drug has really been very helpful. Since I started taking it, I have not taken any other drug... including my once a month malaria preventive.
As per your brother pleasing his wife, bros I no sure if you can perform better than him. God built us in a special way.

Am truely sorry about the one you lost. Awareness of the SCD will go a long way to help. Thank God for social websites like NL.

1 Like

Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Nobody: 6:34pm On Oct 30, 2012
Abali1:

I believe the sickle cell foundation is at Idiaraba, I mentioned LUTH cos it's opposite it. I have not been there myself.
Please check if its the one being run by professor Akinyaju that administers folic acid and those palliative treatment. That man for some reason I can't place has refused †☺ introduce the drug †☺ his patients. Its wickedness on a mammoth scale.
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 7:20pm On Oct 30, 2012
i understand. I believe there is a kind of cold war between modern medical practitioners and there herbal counter part.
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Nobody: 8:28pm On Oct 30, 2012
Abali1: i understand. I believe there is a kind of cold war between modern medical practitioners and there herbal counter part.
it is not a cold war, it is a bloody war with many casualties. You have seen cellod, I believe its the most processed herbal drug in Nigeria, if you are not told, you will conclude its an orthodox medicine. When the results of the clinical trial come out, I will see excuses doctors will present for rejecting it.

1 Like

Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 10:59pm On Oct 30, 2012
blink182: it is not a cold war, it is a bloody war with many casualties. You have seen cellod, I believe its the most processed herbal drug in Nigeria, if you are not told, you will conclude its an orthodox medicine. When the results of the clinical trial come out, I will see excuses doctors will present for rejecting it.

One of the reasons of starting this thread is to enlighten people about the SCD, with real life experiences of people who are living with it. Their battles and their victories.
Like I mentioned on this thread, Doctors opinion is just what it is... an opinion.
A friend who is a doctor have actually tried to convince me to stop using it ( not because there was any test he conducted on the drug, but just because it comes from herb extracts).
Since I started using Cellod-s I have noticed a significant change in my body. People now see me and say " guy you are adding weight". I have not had a need to take the monthly malaria preventive. And I feel good with myself.
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Nobody: 11:14pm On Oct 30, 2012
Abali1:

One of the reasons of starting this thread is to enlighten people about the SCD, with real life experiences of people who are living with it. Their battles and their victories.
Like I mentioned on this thread, Doctors opinion is just what it is... an opinion.
A friend who is a doctor have actually tried to convince me to stop using it ( not because there was any test he conducted on the drug, but just because it comes from herb extracts).
Since I started using Cellod-s I have noticed a significant change in my body. People now see me and say " guy you are adding weight". I have not had a need to take the monthly malaria preventive. And I feel good with myself.
can you imagine. So he wants †☺ take you off the drug and start administering folic acid. Sometimes I feel doctors are just ignorant and wicked, they simply do not care about sufferers. Not all doctors are like this though as some have accepted the drug.
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 8:04am On Oct 31, 2012
blink182: can you imagine. So he wants †☺ take you off the drug and start administering folic acid. Sometimes I feel doctors are just ignorant and wicked, they simply do not care about sufferers. Not all doctors are like this though as some have accepted the drug.

blink, I believe they are not wicked or heartless, but the years they have put in studying for there profession makes them believe that after God, they are the next authority here on earth.
Moreover not all Herbal practitioners are getting it right. If you ask me, I will suggest that Medical doctors and herbal practitioners should find a middle ground. If they can lay aside their ego, they will be unstoppable.

Like I stated on this thread, I have only had one doctor ( that is a doctor who knows all about my medical history) but he has long left the country. Every SCD person should be able to understand his/her system, and know the things that work for him/her.

The doctors go by what you tell them and the lab test result. They have been equipped professionally, but they have not really experienced what you are experiencing. And last time I checked, EXPERIENCE IS STILL THE BEST TEACHER.
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by patrick2(m): 9:20am On Oct 31, 2012
Abali1:

Abali.. Pls I need the following information from you. (1) Are you male or female and how old are you? (2)How long (Months or years) have you been using the Cellod-S? (3) Have you had any crisis since then? (4) In your opinion is the drug curative or preventive? (5) Does the drug have any side effect?. I will appreciate your feedback based on your past experience with the drugs. I am making these enquiries for my younger brother who is 37 years old. Thanks
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Nobody: 12:54pm On Oct 31, 2012
patrick2:

Abali.. Pls I need the following information from you. (1) Are you male or female and how old are you? (2)How long (Months or years) have you been using the Cellod-S? (3) Have you had any crisis since then? (4) In your opinion is the drug curative or preventive? (5) Does the drug have any side effect?. I will appreciate your feedback based on your past experience with the drugs. I am making these enquiries for my younger brother who is 37 years old. Thanks
since abali isn't around and you need answers. Let me help.

I have been using cellod for over 10 years

I have had crisis usually when I have malaria, with cellod you get so well that at some point, you forget you are ss and start neglecting your health maintenance routine, including preventing malaria. Presently I just recovered from malaria, no crisis at all. For some years now, my crisis are so mild I don't need medication.

Cellod s restores full health, weight gain, corrects enlarged internal organ, it totally restores you.

I have used it for more than 10 years, no side effect. I've also never seen a patient that showed reaction to the drug.

Please get in touch with the company, the CEO will answer all your questions.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Photos Of Rare Moments From Medical World / COVID-19: Muhammed Babandede Tests Positive / Cost Of IVF In Nigeria: All You Need To Know

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 155
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.