Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,617 members, 7,816,539 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:52 PM

The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease - Health (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease (56364 Views)

The Facts About Condoms / Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease / Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Nobody: 11:36am On Nov 01, 2012
richie-x:

What are the percentage chances of finding the right donor for a bone marrow transplant?
why do you need marrow transplant, I guess you are not in Nigeria.
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by queenbinteo: 11:37am On Nov 01, 2012
Abali1:

I don't have this problem, I have a flat tommy. But I will like someone to explain this to us.
Oga ACM10, please can you help us out (going in search of my boss ACM10).
You av flat tummy?? *mine has been big since childhood* the more I add weight the bigger it bcomes. I have by taunted by mates but now av thick sick.
Friend- see your big tummy!! Are you pregnant.
Mee- yes. You impregnated me. Hisses n walk away.
Some unimformed one will even tink ure a glutton eatin all the eatable. I dnt tell them the reasons cos some of them are myopic. I can't even wear tight fitted blouse/dress.
Am always sad abt this.
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Nobody: 11:41am On Nov 01, 2012
queen binte o:
You av flat tummy?? *mine has been big since childhood* the more I add weight the bigger it bcomes. I have by taunted by mates but now av thick sick.
Some unimformed one will even tink ure a glutton eatin all the eatable. I dnt tell them the reasons cos some of them are myopic. I can't even wear tight fitted blouse/dress.
Am always sad abt this.
just follow what I said earlier, there is nothing you have suffered or suffering from that I haven't suffered and recovered from unless you have had a stroke and I doubt.
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 11:42am On Nov 01, 2012
queen binte o:
Am always sad abt this.

Am at a loss here. But I promise to do some reading, if I find anything useful I will post it here.
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by ACM10: 11:43am On Nov 01, 2012
Abali1:

I don't have this problem, I have a flat tommy. But I will like someone to explain this to us.
Oga ACM10, please can you help us out (going in search of my boss ACM10).
Thanks for inviting me to make a contribution.
Protruding belly in people living with SCA is as a result of enlarged spleen, liver or both. Due to the fact that they are overworked in the job of breakdown of sickle cell and conjugation of bilirubin. They tend to hypertrophy to compensate for their increased functions.
Its treatment is usually splenectomy when it becomes worrisome. But immunisation against some organisms may have to preceed the surgical procedure. Though most people living with SCA undergoes autosplenectomy before attaining adulthood. There is no treatment for enlarged liver. Partial hepatectomy is not advised. Protruded belly may also be due to ascites if liver decompensates in failure.

@Blink,
Using glucose to treat jaundice is new to me. Though glucose might be of benefit in constant fatigue, but it certainly has no proven benefit in the treatment of jaundice.
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Nobody: 11:45am On Nov 01, 2012
Abali1:

Am at a loss here. But I promise to do some reading, if I find anything useful I will post it here.
medical science has nothing to offer except some complex life threatening procedeur.
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by decoslim(m): 11:52am On Nov 01, 2012
Thanks to u all....

*smile*

I appreciate a lot for ur help and consigns...

Its time I move on o....

No more talking on d issue::::::SCD

1 Like

Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by ACM10: 11:53am On Nov 01, 2012
blink182: medical science has nothing to offer except some complex life threatening procedeur.
It's not true!

Anti-sickling drugs are undergoing clinical trial.

Research is ongoing in the genetic cure of SCA.

Management of SCA cases are constantly being modified to provide more living satisfaction to its sufferers
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 11:54am On Nov 01, 2012
ACM10:
Protruding belly in people living with SCA is as a result of enlarged spleen, liver or both. Due to the fact that they are overworked in the job of breakdown of sickle cell and conjugation of bilirubin. They tend to hypertrophy to compensate for their increased functions.
Its treatment is usually splenectomy when it becomes worrisome. But immunisation against some organisms may have to preceed the surgical procedure. Though most people living with SCA undergoes autosplenectomy before attaining adulthood. There is no treatment for enlarged liver. Partial hepatectomy is not advised. Protruded belly may also be due to ascites if liver decompensates in failure.

@Blink,
Using glucose to treat jaundice is new to me. Though glucose might be of benefit in constant fatigue, but it certainly has no proven benefit in the treatment of jaundice.

No wonder my doctor will be pressing my stomach asking me whether am feeling any pains. I will say, No and the man will be looking at me in a funny way. Thanks Doc. (ACM10)

1 Like

Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by patrick2(m): 11:54am On Nov 01, 2012
blink182: avoid as as marriage.

For those of you with large spleen or large liver go and get cellod s and procin x, it will totally varnish. That na small thing, cellod s turned my protruding dentition to a minor overbite. To some of you who do not know the drug, you might think I'm telling a lie but I have vowed to let all sufferers know about it and regain good health. Just believe.

Can one have an idea of the everage cost of this Cellod-S in niara value? Is the cost avoidable. Past users should please assist before contacting the distributors.
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by queenbinteo: 11:54am On Nov 01, 2012
ACM10:

@Blink,
So I can survive wtout spleen. Whre can I av this spleenctomy? Is the spleen close to liver? I tink in need another abdominal scan. Marinho(St Gregory Hospital @ yemetu) here I come.
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 11:57am On Nov 01, 2012
patrick2:

Can one have an idea of the everage cost of this Cellod-S in niara value? Is the cost avoidable. Past users should please assist before contacting the distributors.

It's not more than 5000 or there about, for 150 capsulses. To me it's cheap, considering that you can use it for more than a month before it finishes.

1 Like

Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Nobody: 11:57am On Nov 01, 2012
ACM10:
It's not true!

Anti-sickling drugs are undergoing clinical trial.

Research is ongoing in the genetic cure of SCA.

Management of SCA cases are constantly being modified to provide more living satisfaction to its sufferers
I was referring to liver and spleen enlargement correction. Cellod s is anti sickling and under going clinical trial too.
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Nobody: 11:59am On Nov 01, 2012
Abali1:

It's not more than 5000 or there about, for 150 capsulses. To me it's cheap, considering that you can use it for more than a month before it finishes.
true
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by ACM10: 12:04pm On Nov 01, 2012
queen binte o:
So I can survive wtout spleen. Whre can I av this spleenctomy? Is the spleen close to liver? I tink in need another abdominal scan. Marinho(St Gregory Hospital @ yemetu) here I come.
Yes, one can survive without spleen. But you have to heed the advise of your attending physician and surgeon. They alone will determine if it is right for you to remove the spleen.

Check for the position of spleen and liver in the human abdomen on google.
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Stronger99: 12:11pm On Nov 01, 2012
I've been lucky I do not need meds but I knw someone whose case is complex and has tried it all. Jubi, Nicosan etc Now I'm hearing of celloid s, it seems like recycling of d same thing.
The person I knw who takes drugs didn't benefit frm all these alternative medicine but benefits a lot from tested manufactured meds.

I don't knw but I would take caution in recommending these untested drugs. I know SCD patients could be desperate but one cannot always take a leap in d dark. Me I believe in medicine. In those olden days when it was Jst herbs all of us here would have been history by now. Isn't it d same herbs dat have become wonder drugs now?
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Nobody: 12:27pm On Nov 01, 2012
Stronger99: I've been lucky I do not need meds but I knw someone whose case is complex and has tried it all. Jubi, Nicosan etc Now I'm hearing of celloid s, it seems like recycling of d same thing.
The person I knw who takes drugs didn't benefit frm all these alternative medicine but benefits a lot from tested manufactured meds.

I don't knw but I would take caution in recommending these untested drugs. I know SCD patients could be desperate but one cannot always take a leap in d dark. Me I believe in medicine. In those olden days when it was Jst herbs all of us here would have been history by now. Isn't it d same herbs dat have become wonder drugs now?
cellod s has nothing to do with those drugs. Well if you want to give up hope on behalf of your friend, then its your choice.
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Dreystar(f): 1:38pm On Nov 01, 2012
Does anyone know if excessive water intake as any negative impact on ones health?

Years ago, on a very sunny day, I got dehydrated, and began craving for water, in less than 12hrs, I drank 25Litres of water(I had water in a 25litres keg and it got exhausted within 12hrs lipsrsealed )
I kept peeing at intervals and couldn't eat as I was filled.
That very evening, I became dizzy and had to go see my doctor, the doctor insisted I stayed back at the hospital for "observation" though I wasn't given any medication but the doctor said taking excess Water isn't good for me.
But since then, I've not had a reoccurence of such, but I drink water adequately.

Can anyone explain what was wrong with me back then? undecided
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Ajlolly: 1:46pm On Nov 01, 2012
I am a victim of wrong diagnosis, b4 I got married in 2009 my hubsand&I went 2 check my genotype in 2 diff labs & i was given AA& my hubby AS.I didn't know I was AS until I was 4months pregnant wen I went 4 antenatal, we went back 2 d 2 labs where we were initially given AA&did it again and was given AS. Wen we show dem d result of d 1st test dey were jst begging us, so we resigned to faith couple wit d explanation my doc gave me dat it 1 out of 4 children dat 'll be ss not knowing dat its one over four of every pregnancy, I had my son in 2010 & unfortunately he has scd. Initially he has crisis almost every week and was place on hydroxyria by an heamotologist.Thks God he has been doing fine since den, he is 2yrs old now&very healthy. He doesn't look like someone living with scd.
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by ACM10: 1:48pm On Nov 01, 2012
Dreystar: Does anyone know if excessive water intake as any negative impact on ones health?

Years ago, on a very sunny day, I got dehydrated, and began craving for water, in less than 12hrs, I drank 25Litres of water(I had water in a 25litres keg and it got exhausted within 12hrs lipsrsealed )
That very evening, I became dizzy and had to go see my doctor, the doctor insisted I stayed back at the hospital for "observation" though I wasn't given any medication but the doctor said taking excess Water isn't good for me.
But since then, I've not had a reoccurence of such, but I drink water adequately.

Haba grin
25 litres of water in less than 12hrs is too much now. It will lead to water intoxication. Even camels in Sahara desert don't drink that much in such a short interval of time. Pls don't overdo it.
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Dreystar(f): 1:50pm On Nov 01, 2012
Ajlolly: I am a victim of wrong diagnosis, b4 I got married in 2009 my hubsand&I went 2 check my genotype in 2 diff labs & i was given AA& my hubby AS.I didn't know I was AS until I was 4months pregnant wen I went 4 antenatal, we went back 2 d 2 labs where we were initially given AA&did it again and was given AS. Wen we show dem d result of d 1st test dey were jst begging us, so we resigned to faith couple wit d explanation my doc gave me dat it 1 out of 4 children dat 'll be ss not knowing dat its one over four of every pregnancy, I had my son in 2010 & unfortunately he has scd. Initially he has crisis almost every week and was place on hydroxyria by an heamotologist.Thks God he has been doing fine since den, he is 2yrs old now&very healthy. He doesn't look like someone living with scd.

Your son will always be healthy, just read this thread from its 1st page and you'll get useful tips from there
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Dreystar(f): 1:53pm On Nov 01, 2012
ACM10:
Haba grin
25 litres of water in less than 12hrs is too much now. It will lead to water intoxication. Even camels in Sahara desert don't drink that much in such a short interval of time. Pls don't overdo it.

No be my fault na, that was long ago o, I think the water I took back then is even one of the reasons my skin is glittering now grin
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by ciphoenix: 2:04pm On Nov 01, 2012
nysot:

[b]In Genetics, during crossing, the possibility of you giving birth to a sickler is from the fourth child[b], the first child would be AA, the second and third children would be AS while the fourth would be SS.

In reality, this might not happen. I have a friend who is SS and he is the first child. Both parents are AS, they planned to have 3 children with the mindset that 1 would be AA and the other 2 would be AS. But that did not work for them, they had the first and he is SS.

So, you can never tell.
not quite. It only indicates a 25% chance. Meaning they could have 5 children and all 5 will be SS.
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Ajlolly: 2:04pm On Nov 01, 2012
We tried to avoid it by doing d right tin but God know y it happened.My advise to AS/AS couples is dat u should pls let go off eachoda for d sake of ur unborn child. Even d modern technology do fail, if u 've d money to do ivf what abt d stress.moreso, ivf is a 50/50 chance.I am talking from experience. And if u opt out for prenatal diagnosis of knowing ur baby's genotype from womb can u afford it and even if u can,can u stand d sight of a needle been put thru ur stomach while u watch, d most painful part is after waiting 4 a week and u 're told ur is ss den u start thinking of abortion. Y go thru all dis stress wen u can easily avoid it. I am on my knees begging all intending AS/AS couples to pls think twice b4 goin ahead wit d marriage. My God in his infinite mercy grant everyone living wit scd a permanent health and give dem d strength to withstand d pains whenever
it come.May God be ur strength and relief urine pains thks.

1 Like

Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 2:05pm On Nov 01, 2012
Ajlolly: I am a victim of wrong diagnosis, b4 I got married in 2009 my hubsand&I went 2 check my genotype in 2 diff labs & i was given AA& my hubby AS.I didn't know I was AS until I was 4months pregnant wen I went 4 antenatal, we went back 2 d 2 labs where we were initially given AA&did it again and was given AS. Wen we show dem d result of d 1st test dey were jst begging us, so we resigned to faith couple wit d explanation my doc gave me dat it 1 out of 4 children dat 'll be ss not knowing dat its one over four of every pregnancy, I had my son in 2010 & unfortunately he has scd. Initially he has crisis almost every week and was place on hydroxyria by an heamotologist.Thks God he has been doing fine since den, he is 2yrs old now&very healthy. He doesn't look like someone living with scd.

Your son will grow up to be healthy. As he is still young, you the mother has to do all the thinking for him as is you were a SS. The heamotologists should be in a better position to advice you. His Folic Acid should be as regular as a clock work. You may visit the site Blink provided and get the directors number. Please speak to him and also listen to your heamotologist before administering any medication to him. Even if it's Cellod-S.
Yes, I have been spreading good news about the drug Cellod-S, but in your case...you son is still young to coherently explain how his system works. And it will do you a world of good to cultivate the habit of reading any literature remotely related to SCD. Goodluck.
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by ciphoenix: 2:07pm On Nov 01, 2012
ACM10:

@Blink,
Also worthy of note that after the splenic enlargement autosplenectomy tends to occur. Chief
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by ciphoenix: 2:10pm On Nov 01, 2012
queen binte o:
yes you can. The spleen is on your left protected by your lower ribs
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by ciphoenix: 2:13pm On Nov 01, 2012
blink182: I was referring to liver and spleen enlargement correction. Cellod s is anti sickling and under going clinical trial too.
treating liver and spleen enlargement is usually by treating the cause
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Amynamerica: 2:20pm On Nov 01, 2012
Dreystar: Does anyone know if excessive water intake as any negative impact on ones health?

You were lacking salt (Sodium). When you take lots of water, you are advised to add some quantity of salt in it. Without adequate salt, your body will never retain enough water to make the body function properly. No metabolic process can take place properly without enough salt.

That's why u felt faint and weak. U may also have felt muscle cramps.
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Ajlolly: 4:26pm On Nov 01, 2012
@abali1 thks. He is on folic acid, paludrine, penicillin v,hydroxyria and multivitamins daily.Dats y am a bit sceptical abt some of dis drugs cos he cant tell us weather he feels better wit it or not.I tried to equiped myself wit more information abt scd and thk God things 're fine now. I learnt water is very good for him so I make sure he takes 3 big bottles of Eva water daily infact he is used to water now. May God help us. Thks
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by ada86(f): 5:07pm On Nov 01, 2012
What an interesting topic!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My only brother, though dead is a SCD patient. Being d only son, he got married @ d age of 24 and had 3 children, 2 boys and a girl b4 he died. Throughout his lifetime, u hardly notice dt he is a SCD patient because of his healthy nature. Though he couldn't withstand d crisis but I'm happy dt he established our family wt children.
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by queenbinteo: 7:01pm On Nov 01, 2012
blink182: just follow what I said earlier, there is nothing you have suffered or suffering from that I haven't suffered and recovered from unless you have had a stroke and I doubt.
Stroke ke Ure wicked jor,LOL. Apart frm crisis n big tummy, am okay.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (15) (Reply)

High Blood Pressure & Women's Sex Life - Expert Advises / Coronavirus: My Experience Calling The NCDC Toll-free Number / Women How Do You Deal With Period Pain?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.