Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,117 members, 7,814,919 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:28 PM

Everything About Freelance Web Development Is Frustrating - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Everything About Freelance Web Development Is Frustrating (5262 Views)

What Is The Average Monthly Rate Of A Freelance Web Developer? / Afrisofts' SERVER22.COM Is Frustrating Our Business. / Free Professional Website Development Is Started For 2012. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Everything About Freelance Web Development Is Frustrating by sisqology(m): 5:45am On Oct 31, 2012
Web development entirely is getting frustrating; with the lack of serious clients and clients that do not know what's right from what is wrong. I don't know, passion has pushed me not to stop, but now I'm thinking of stopping.

The most frustrating aspect is that; I've seen many designers/developers here on nairaland still using the dated "tables" style, blurry or dumb logos, bad mark-up...etc yet they get clients! Should i say its naija clients that dunno what's right from what's wrong or is something going on with me?

Why are they not coming and the ones that are coming are the non serious ones. Someone is frustrated here and needs an answer. sad sad sad
Re: Everything About Freelance Web Development Is Frustrating by soloqy: 11:42am On Oct 31, 2012
Do you advertise on Nairaland? Do you hope to get clients from here? If so, then list some of your work and am sure that if they are great, you will get some look in and fellow designers will put in a word if your designs stand out. I have noticed that in everything, people who are not realy up to standard, compensate by being the more vocal and persuasive while the ones who are more professional and talented, are inhibited by their principles so they would rather stay quiet than solicit web design jobs for amounts like Twelve thousand and fifty naira, the sort that we see all the time here. Thats why they go to them. Because to the typical client here, the statement is "Is it not just a website?" "I see them advertising the amount on nairaland." grin
Re: Everything About Freelance Web Development Is Frustrating by Afam4eva(m): 11:47am On Oct 31, 2012
sisqology: Web development entirely is getting frustrating; with the lack of serious clients and clients that do not know what's right from what is wrong. I don't know, passion has pushed me not to stop, but now I'm thinking of stopping.

The most frustrating aspect is that; I've seen many designers/developers here on nairaland still using the dated "tables" style, blurry or dumb logos, bad mark-up...etc yet they get clients! Should i say its naija clients that dunno what's right from what's wrong or is something going on with me?

Why are they not coming and the ones that are coming are the non serious ones. Someone is frustrated here and needs an answer. sad sad sad
It can be frustrating i tell you. That's why i've decided to focus on offering web hosting services rather than doing a website for people who don't even know what they want. I'm more of a business man now and any job i get, i usually give to a third party to do it. Except it's a very big job.
Re: Everything About Freelance Web Development Is Frustrating by Nobody: 11:57am On Oct 31, 2012
I only do web development as an outlet to express my creativity. Nigerian businesses are way behind when it comes to deploying a functional website.
Re: Everything About Freelance Web Development Is Frustrating by sisqology(m): 12:23pm On Oct 31, 2012
soloqy: Do you advertise on Nairaland? Do you hope to get clients from here? If so, then list some of your work and am sure that if they are great, you will get some look in and fellow designers will put in a word if your designs stand out. I have noticed that in everything, people who are not realy up to standard, compensate by being the more vocal and persuasive while the ones who are more professional and talented, are inhibited by their principles so they would rather stay quiet than solicit web design jobs for amounts like Twelve thousand and fifty naira, the sort that we see all the time here. Thats why they go to them. Because to the typical client here, the statement is "Is it not just a website?" "I see them advertising the amount on nairaland." grin

And now, you're coming towards my views; how can one have the so called "list of jobs" when someone serious haven't come to the person to request for a job, eh?! Advertisement on nairaland; yeah formerly a consideration, but as oga seun don inflate the price, i lost interest. He shld always consider upcoming companies.
Re: Everything About Freelance Web Development Is Frustrating by sisqology(m): 12:25pm On Oct 31, 2012
afam4eva:
It can be frustrating i tell you. That's why i've decided to focus on offering web hosting services rather than doing a website for people who don't even know what they want. I'm more of a business man now and any job i get, i usually give to a third party to do it. Except it's a very big job.

Oya, introduce me to business sharply cheesy sebi its not "pushing of COCO" wink
Re: Everything About Freelance Web Development Is Frustrating by sisqology(m): 12:27pm On Oct 31, 2012
Brand_new: I only do web development as an outlet to express my creativity. Nigerian businesses are way behind when it comes to deploying a functional website.

Yeah, and its because the "design your website for 5000naira" people are too much on board sad what is this field turning to sad
Re: Everything About Freelance Web Development Is Frustrating by Nobody: 12:44pm On Oct 31, 2012
sisqology:

Yeah, and its because the "design your website for 5000naira" people are too much on board sad what is this field turning to sad
Such people only do shoddy jobs and sometimes I could even offer my services for free if I see that person really needs it and cannot afford a fee.
I just love to encourage start ups. A lot can be achieved with a simple website with some ingenuity involved, someone just starting don't even need a physical office.
Btw I just sent you a Bb request.
Re: Everything About Freelance Web Development Is Frustrating by sisqology(m): 12:59pm On Oct 31, 2012
Brand_new: Such people only do shoddy jobs and sometimes I could even offer my services for free if I see that person really needs it and cannot afford a fee.
I just love to encourage start ups. A lot can be achieved with a simple website with some ingenuity involved, someone just starting don't even need a physical office.
Btw I just sent you a Bb request.

I just saw d request and it disappeared :O I've re-added the pin on ur signature sha smiley
Re: Everything About Freelance Web Development Is Frustrating by Nobody: 1:10pm On Oct 31, 2012
Cool!
Re: Everything About Freelance Web Development Is Frustrating by stagger: 11:23am On Nov 05, 2012
Your problem is advertising. You have to get the word out to those who need your services.

1 Like

Re: Everything About Freelance Web Development Is Frustrating by soloqy: 11:27am On Nov 05, 2012
Hnmmm, from the look of things, it seems this post has made frontpage. Maybe you will get some now.... wink
Re: Everything About Freelance Web Development Is Frustrating by Mankind8(m): 11:27am On Nov 05, 2012
Na wa sha
Re: Everything About Freelance Web Development Is Frustrating by pato405(m): 11:29am On Nov 05, 2012
I need a good & competent web developer ASAP for a very good contract. you will be developing a website for a new private uni. if interested, drop an email: minajkindy@yahoo.co.uk

1 Like

Re: Everything About Freelance Web Development Is Frustrating by OkwaIfugo(m): 11:34am On Nov 05, 2012
@OP your right.
just give me your own personal website or at least 1 or 2 works you have done lets see what happens.

Don't worry because soon you will get jobs and run away.
Re: Everything About Freelance Web Development Is Frustrating by emesv26(m): 11:44am On Nov 05, 2012
i believe u hav a goal in ur careers as a web developer no body will kill dat dream believe it or not. Am a network technician i know wat i face but dat which i face is wat will prepared me for the future (same as u), the only thing u know to do is to learn how to treat a client(good n bad) once
Re: Everything About Freelance Web Development Is Frustrating by Nobody: 11:54am On Nov 05, 2012
Why not go into mobile apps development. You can choose blackberry 10 and Android platform.
Re: Everything About Freelance Web Development Is Frustrating by Nobody: 11:58am On Nov 05, 2012
one trick is to not give up on the smallest of your clients.

I have had bigger potential clients who dissapointed
not 5, not 10 but as far as i can recollect, like 30.
Spent over 250k + energy + time pursuing projects from NAICOM, UAC, Higher institutions, Intel & FMCT, buying expensive suits, renting cars, taking flights etc
I even went for the FG Youwin shortlist training (I still believe this scheme is fraudulent)

Most times, your real big clients come from the lest expected person. maybe a simple referral from a client who wants just a 50k website
winners dont quit is not for the saying, practice it!

2 Likes

Re: Everything About Freelance Web Development Is Frustrating by Joe980: 12:16pm On Nov 05, 2012
@OP, how much do you charge for a web job?
Re: Everything About Freelance Web Development Is Frustrating by bigx(m): 12:41pm On Nov 05, 2012
You focus more on unimportant things than on marketing, if you want to make money out of anything learn to market.
I normally see your posts on nairaland and you and the other developers spend the whole time nit-picking and critiscising other client's work. What is really important at the end of the road is what the client wants, the client doesn't care if its divs or tables you use to achieve that.
I started with the development path but flunked it to learn how to sell and I can swear, that'd pay you loads more.
Re: Everything About Freelance Web Development Is Frustrating by lincolnpix(m): 1:01pm On Nov 05, 2012
soloqy: Do you advertise on Nairaland? Do you hope to get clients from here? If so, then list some of your work and am sure that if they are great, you will get some look in and fellow designers will put in a word if your designs stand out. I have noticed that in everything, people who are not realy up to standard, compensate by being the more vocal and persuasive while the ones who are more professional and talented, are inhibited by their principles so they would rather stay quiet than solicit web design jobs for amounts like Twelve thousand and fifty naira, the sort that we see all the time here. Thats why they go to them. Because to the typical client here, the statement is "Is it not just a website?" "I see them advertising the amount on nairaland." grin

Hi Sology,
I couldn't have said it better !
Thanks
Re: Everything About Freelance Web Development Is Frustrating by AFOLSNETWORKS(m): 1:06pm On Nov 05, 2012
freelance cld be frustrating if things are not done differently.
Its high time we set up an association.
Except that some who are confortable wit the pea nuts dey get might want to sabotage through apathy.
Re: Everything About Freelance Web Development Is Frustrating by ogzille(m): 1:09pm On Nov 05, 2012
Build a product!
Re: Everything About Freelance Web Development Is Frustrating by Nobody: 1:23pm On Nov 05, 2012
For a very long time I have had this burning desire to learn how to design a website. Pls Nairalanders,how do I start? Which institute is best equipped to tutor ple in this area? I downloaded an e-book which am still reading. But I need advice from ple in the field. You can reply me here or mail me via okpaniokpani@yahoo.com Many thanks.
Re: Everything About Freelance Web Development Is Frustrating by bigx(m): 1:26pm On Nov 05, 2012
okpaniokpani: For a very long time I have had this burning to learn how to design a website. Pls Nairalanders,how do I start? Which institute is best equipped to tutor ple in this area? I downloaded an e-book which am still reading. But I need advice from ple in the field. You can reply me here or mail me via okpaniokpani@yahoo.com Many thanks.

@poster you can make god money teaching your skills too, there's demand.
Re: Everything About Freelance Web Development Is Frustrating by daa1(m): 1:42pm On Nov 05, 2012
sisqology: Web development entirely is getting frustrating; with the lack of serious clients and clients that do not know what's right from what is wrong. I don't know, passion has pushed me not to stop, but now I'm thinking of stopping.

can we see your previous designs and your contact?
Re: Everything About Freelance Web Development Is Frustrating by greenmouse(m): 1:44pm On Nov 05, 2012
webdezzi: one trick is to not give up on the smallest of your clients.

I have had bigger potential clients who dissapointed
not 5, not 10 but as far as i can recollect, like 30.
Spent over 250k + energy + time pursuing projects from NAICOM, UAC, Higher institutions, Intel & FMCT, buying expensive suits, renting cars, taking flights etc
I even went for the FG Youwin shortlist training (I still believe this scheme is fraudulent)

Most times, your real big clients come from the lest expected person. maybe a simple referral from a client who wants just a 50k website
winners dont quit is not for the saying, practice it!

FG YOUWIN is not fraudulent, Am a winner(awardee) and am moving on with scheme.

Visit www.greenmousetech.com to see proof.
Re: Everything About Freelance Web Development Is Frustrating by ooshekeen: 2:01pm On Nov 05, 2012
Now is the right time to start thinking and cooking up an internet startup idea... Do stuff for yourself now..
Re: Everything About Freelance Web Development Is Frustrating by hotwax: 2:25pm On Nov 05, 2012
've seen many designers/developers here on nairaland still using the dated "tables" style,

By the way, who removed table out of HTML elements? Table has its purpose. Do not misinform upcoming developers.

As to the topic, what I will say is: nigerian web developers are desperate and becoming too cheap. I saw A̶̲̥̅​ guy doing A̶̲̥̅​ website of 8000naira for A̶̲̥̅​ big boutique. I was angry when I heard it.

Anyways its poverty.
Re: Everything About Freelance Web Development Is Frustrating by hotwax: 2:31pm On Nov 05, 2012
The worst part of it is, clients don't know what they want. You will create content for them, concept and they will keep changing things till eternity.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Your Blog Doesn't Currently Qualify For Adsense - Pls Explain / How Do I Hyperlink On Smf Forum / Virtual Terminal Network Is Down! Hacked?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.