Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,764 members, 7,809,939 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:32 PM

Prostate Cancer Kills 14 Nigerian Men Everyday According To Expert - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Prostate Cancer Kills 14 Nigerian Men Everyday According To Expert (9288 Views)

Men - My Childhood; My Manhood; My Prostate.. A Must Read!! / An Orgasm A Day Can Lower A Man's Risk Of Prostate Cancer By 20%, Study Reveals / Prostate Cancer: How Frequent Do You Urinate At Night ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Prostate Cancer Kills 14 Nigerian Men Everyday According To Expert by maclatunji: 4:56pm On Oct 31, 2012
Prostate Cancer Kills 14 Nigerian Men Daily, Says Expert

Prostate cancer kills 14 men everyday in Nigeria, Dr Abia Nzelu, Coordinator, National Cancer Prevention Programme (NCPP), Lagos State branch, has said.

Nzelu, who said this in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Lagos on Tuesday, noted that the figure was based on studies.

She said that most men report their cancer cases late when the symptoms had already manifested and attributed the situation to ignorance.

According to her, people die unnecessarily, even when they are diagnosed because there are no facilities to treat them.

“Prostate cancer, the second commonest cancer in men, kills 14 men in Nigeria every day. This is not acceptable because it can be prevented.

“India has over 120 comprehensive cancer centres and we don’t have even one centre that has everything to take care of any kind of cancer that can carry out world class research.

“We need something like this in our own country, because apart from the fact that those that have, can afford it and travel, what of those that cannot?

“In Nigeria, cancer is like a death sentence that is why most deaths here are unnecessary; they are untimely.
“When we had the Dana crash, we were all shouting, but each day people are dying of cancer. Because, they are dying silently, we are not doing anything about it.”

Nzelu said that the prevention should be through life style modification, screening and routine checkups, at least once a year for those who are 40 and above.

She said that regular exercise, losing weight and imbibing the culture of health maintenance could reduce the risk by 50 per cent.

She advocated the establishment of cancer centres in each of the six-geo-political zones, adding that such centres could be built through self-help projects rather than waiting for government.

“The only way to go about it is to get our own comprehensive cancer centres and we cannot wait for government to get them.

“And so the Nigerian Communications Commission has created a platform through which everybody, irrespective of economic status, can contribute, can save own life and save the lives of other people.

“By just contributing N100; by texting ‘Cancer‘to 44777; we will be able to achieve this; we will be able to build these cancer centres in the six geo-political zones.

“We will be able to have it at affordable rate for the poor people. Nigerians should join hands together so that we will achieve this great and noble venture.

“Because together it is possible, that was the theme of this year‘s cancer day.”

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2012/10/30/prostate-cancer-kills-14-nigerian-men-daily-says-expert/
Re: Prostate Cancer Kills 14 Nigerian Men Everyday According To Expert by MrsChima(f): 5:36am On Nov 01, 2012
That's not surprising because Black men in America do not get their prostate exam until it is too late. The organization I am involved with are creating several awareness fairs to encourage black men over the age of 40 to get their prostate examined. We have decided to allow men as early as 35 years old to participate because we believe early detection is the cure to prostate cancer.

The issues with Black men regarding prostate exams is miseducation and ignorance. Many of them do not have the accurate facts about prostate exams and listening to peope who have absolutely no idea what prostate is.

I would tell my clients to thin of prostate gland like a walnut or hazelnut. It is usually located by the bladder and if you were to rub your finger on the perineum...you may be able to feel the "walnut" depending on some patients. Prostate gland is a reproductive gland for men and it aid the development of seminal fluid by providing "transportation" for the sperm. Some doctors have argued that the prostate gland is responsible for the color of the sperm and it creamy appearance. However without prostate glands....it is impossible for sperm to travel to their destination.

It is very important for men to understand their body and I encourage men to study basic antomy because knowledge is power. Anatomy isn't just for nurses and doctors but it is for humans to understand their body and how it works. I believe when people understand their bodies...they will treat it better and take concerns of the things that are harmful to the body. Unfortunately there isn't a cure for prostate cancer but early detection is the cure.

I encourage all wives and girlfriends to support their partners in getting prostate exams starting at 35 years old and you owe it to yourself to have your man with you until rocking chair age. Some symptoms that you can help your partner look for:

=swelling of the prostate gland
-frequent urination
-discoloration in the urine
-lower sex drive or change in sexual habits
-complaints of discomfort in perineum area
-pressure while urinating

Some of the male clients have complained about fear of someone putting their finger in their rectum but that is how doctors check thoroughly during prostate exam. Doctors can't just look at the scrotums and go hmmmm I think that cancer. They have to draw blood, collect urine specimen, and do some basic tests addition to manual exam that may be uncomfortable but it is a life saver.

Men...you owe it to your wives, girlfriends, and children to live a healthier life by getting your prostate check annually or bi-annually. Who is going to walk your daughter down the aisle and give her away? Take care of your prostate and your health.

Good luck. (sorry OP for the seminar lecture) grin grin

5 Likes

Re: Prostate Cancer Kills 14 Nigerian Men Everyday According To Expert by Nobody: 6:40am On Nov 01, 2012
Thanks for the information guys. prostate cancer is the ninth most common cancer in the world, yet people hardly talk about it. Hopefully there will be more awareness about it
Re: Prostate Cancer Kills 14 Nigerian Men Everyday According To Expert by Afam4eva(m): 10:47am On Nov 01, 2012
How did they come to this conclusion. I'm not saying it doesn't kill that much men or even more but they should quit throwing stats around.
Re: Prostate Cancer Kills 14 Nigerian Men Everyday According To Expert by megxo(m): 10:48am On Nov 01, 2012
next!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Prostate Cancer Kills 14 Nigerian Men Everyday According To Expert by Lexusgs430: 10:48am On Nov 01, 2012
Prostate cancer is probably one of the easiest and fastest to test for. The Department of health, needs to gear up an awareness programme. Hopefully our useless Government would provide funding.
Re: Prostate Cancer Kills 14 Nigerian Men Everyday According To Expert by IYANGBALI: 10:51am On Nov 01, 2012
How would we not be having prostrate cancer when every time our elders expect us to prostrate for them grin
Re: Prostate Cancer Kills 14 Nigerian Men Everyday According To Expert by ballabriggs: 10:53am On Nov 01, 2012
14 daily?

How many of us come remain now?
Re: Prostate Cancer Kills 14 Nigerian Men Everyday According To Expert by ochallo: 10:54am On Nov 01, 2012
all you need to do is multiply 14 by 365 to know that the stats are erroneous.
Re: Prostate Cancer Kills 14 Nigerian Men Everyday According To Expert by agohavivi(f): 11:01am On Nov 01, 2012
Mrs.Chima:
That's not surprising because Black men in America do not get their prostate exam until it is too late. The organization I am involved with are creating several awareness fairs to encourage black men over the age of 40 to get their prostate examined. We have decided to allow men as early as 35 years old to participate because we believe early detection is the cure to prostate cancer.

The issues with Black men regarding prostate exams is miseducation and ignorance. Many of them do not have the accurate facts about prostate exams and listening to peope who have absolutely no idea what prostate is.

I would tell my clients to thin of prostate gland like a walnut or hazelnut. It is usually located by the bladder and if you were to rub your finger on the perineum...you may be able to feel the "walnut" depending on some patients. Prostate gland is a reproductive gland for men and it aid the development of seminal fluid by providing "transportation" for the sperm. Some doctors have argued that the prostate gland is responsible for the color of the sperm and it creamy appearance. However without prostate glands....it is impossible for sperm to travel to their destination.

It is very important for men to understand their body and I encourage men to study basic antomy because knowledge is power. Anatomy isn't just for nurses and doctors but it is for humans to understand their body and how it works. I believe when people understand their bodies...they will treat it better and take concerns of the things that are harmful to the body. Unfortunately there isn't a cure for prostate cancer but early detection is the cure.

I encourage all wives and girlfriends to support their partners in getting prostate exams starting at 35 years old and you owe it to yourself to have your man with you until rocking chair age. Some symptoms that you can help your partner look for:

=swelling of the prostate gland
-frequent urination
-discoloration in the urine
-lower sex drive or change in sexual habits
-complaints of discomfort in perineum area
-pressure while urinating

Some of the male clients have complained about fear of someone putting their finger in their rectum but that is how doctors check thoroughly during prostate exam. Doctors can't just look at the scrotums and go hmmmm I think that cancer. They have to draw blood, collect urine specimen, and do some basic tests addition to manual exam that may be uncomfortable but it is a life saver.

Men...you owe it to your wives, girlfriends, and children to live a healthier life by getting your prostate check annually or bi-annually. Who is going to walk your daughter down the aisle and give her away? Take care of your prostate and your health.

Good luck. (sorry OP for the seminar lecture) grin grin

Is it possible for a man to still have a normal life(sexually) after undergoing a surgery to correct this condition?
Re: Prostate Cancer Kills 14 Nigerian Men Everyday According To Expert by Etumgbe(m): 11:08am On Nov 01, 2012
na lie. which kind yeye expert be that

1 Like

Re: Prostate Cancer Kills 14 Nigerian Men Everyday According To Expert by obicentlis: 11:11am On Nov 01, 2012
The statistics is very small. This cancer is killing morethan that everyday. I lost a dear one cos it. We need the awareness. My uncle was diagnosed last week having it. I encourage every man to start eating Pawpaw. Its anti cancerous. May God help us all from vthis cancer.

1 Like

Re: Prostate Cancer Kills 14 Nigerian Men Everyday According To Expert by Nobody: 11:12am On Nov 01, 2012
Not sure how they calculated the numbers but my advice to all men reading this is that you need to check as soon as you are fourty. If you are under thirty you can forget about it for now, but please check as soon as you are approaching 40 so that it can be treated if necessary.

If you notice that you pee too often overnight (e.g more than 3 times), then that could be a sign. This thing is a real killer, please check asap, before they have to do a surgery and your "balls" are removed or "frozen".
Re: Prostate Cancer Kills 14 Nigerian Men Everyday According To Expert by obicentlis: 11:13am On Nov 01, 2012
megxo: next!!!!!!!!!!!
Guy, I don't wish you that. Will never wish my enemy that but you must not comment if you ve nothing to contribute. Be careful.
Re: Prostate Cancer Kills 14 Nigerian Men Everyday According To Expert by maclatunji: 11:25am On Nov 01, 2012
obicentlis: The statistics is very small. This cancer is killing morethan that everyday. I lost a dear one cos it. We need the awareness. My uncle was diagnosed last week having it. I encourage every man to start eating Pawpaw. Its anti cancerous. May God help us all from vthis cancer.

Abeg, encourage the man to go for proper medical treatment. Pawpaw is not helpful here oga.
Re: Prostate Cancer Kills 14 Nigerian Men Everyday According To Expert by miteolu(m): 11:29am On Nov 01, 2012
grin grin grin 14men/day?

14*30 = 420/month, 5040/year, 50400 in 10 years . Na lie
Re: Prostate Cancer Kills 14 Nigerian Men Everyday According To Expert by maclatunji: 11:40am On Nov 01, 2012
agoha_vivi: Is it possible for a man to still have a normal life(sexually) after undergoing a surgery to correct this condition?

Errrr.... you might want to read this;

http://www.thehealthsuccesssite.com/what-is-prostate-cancer.html
Re: Prostate Cancer Kills 14 Nigerian Men Everyday According To Expert by maclatunji: 11:42am On Nov 01, 2012
Re: Prostate Cancer Kills 14 Nigerian Men Everyday According To Expert by Pamperme: 11:42am On Nov 01, 2012
Ha! 14 men daily! shocked shocked shocked

Na wah o! this people can exaggerate o! Haba! angry
Re: Prostate Cancer Kills 14 Nigerian Men Everyday According To Expert by Weirdone(m): 11:44am On Nov 01, 2012
IYA NGBALI: How would we not be having prostrate cancer when every time our elders expect us to prostrate for them grin
Ogbeni, where them commot you from?
Re: Prostate Cancer Kills 14 Nigerian Men Everyday According To Expert by LordBabs(m): 11:44am On Nov 01, 2012
We told them to smoke igbo often, they turned deaf ears, and now they are dying like chickens...if not for igbo, me self go don pai!
Re: Prostate Cancer Kills 14 Nigerian Men Everyday According To Expert by obicentlis: 11:50am On Nov 01, 2012
maclatunji:

Abeg, encourage the man to go for proper medical treatment. Pawpaw is not helpful here oga.
Bros, I didn't discourage men from going for the test, ok? I advised from a research on cancer and alternative cure which I read sometime ago. Pawpaw is a fruit, not a magic with no side effect. I don't understand your attack on my advice. Go and read more about Pawpaw ok. Its not my product, Ain't advertising for my own benefit.
Re: Prostate Cancer Kills 14 Nigerian Men Everyday According To Expert by maclatunji: 12:01pm On Nov 01, 2012
obicentlis:
Bros, I didn't discourage men from going for the test, ok? I advised from a research on cancer and alternative cure which I read sometime ago. Pawpaw is a fruit, not a magic with no side effect. I don't understand your attack on my advice. Go and read more about Pawpaw ok. Its not my product, Ain't advertising for my own benefit.

OK O. But you know that over 90% of these so-called alternative remedies amongst Nigerians don't work. Eating Pawpaw to "cure" cancer is ridiculous irregardless of your good intentions.
Re: Prostate Cancer Kills 14 Nigerian Men Everyday According To Expert by GentleNaaz(m): 12:04pm On Nov 01, 2012
D rate men r reducing per yr, i wonder wat wl b d faith of wmen in d nxt 50 yrs. ALUU4 na men, potikistum2 na men, dead soldiers na men, killed boko na men, etc. Nw 14 men die daily. Mean while my neighbors gv birth to 5,6 or 7 wmen daily. Wmen shud do word fasting 2 stop ds incesant death of men
Re: Prostate Cancer Kills 14 Nigerian Men Everyday According To Expert by fapcrook(m): 12:05pm On Nov 01, 2012
Lord Babs: We told them to smoke igbo often, they turned deaf ears, and now they are dying like chickens...if not for igbo, me self go don pai!
is it igbo (marijuana) or igbo(vegetable)? If d first,then u are very dry like d desert. Must u comment? Shioo
Re: Prostate Cancer Kills 14 Nigerian Men Everyday According To Expert by eejo(m): 12:08pm On Nov 01, 2012
it is true am a health worker in Nigeria lord have mercy that cancer is a disease from HELL
Re: Prostate Cancer Kills 14 Nigerian Men Everyday According To Expert by Nobody: 12:08pm On Nov 01, 2012
Hmmm culd diz b de end of d world
Re: Prostate Cancer Kills 14 Nigerian Men Everyday According To Expert by omenziate(m): 12:09pm On Nov 01, 2012
This story looks embellished to me , 14 a day, that's like 14 * 365 every year. Haba, hw many men go remain after 10 yrs?
Re: Prostate Cancer Kills 14 Nigerian Men Everyday According To Expert by charloski(m): 12:22pm On Nov 01, 2012
Hmm.... Na wa ooo..
Re: Prostate Cancer Kills 14 Nigerian Men Everyday According To Expert by mopa001: 12:23pm On Nov 01, 2012
Pamperme: Ha! 14 men daily! shocked shocked shocked

Na wah o! this people can exaggerate o! Haba! angry
U sure say u neva get am?
Re: Prostate Cancer Kills 14 Nigerian Men Everyday According To Expert by honeric01(m): 12:23pm On Nov 01, 2012
Re: Prostate Cancer Kills 14 Nigerian Men Everyday According To Expert by miteolu(m): 11:29am
14men/day?

14*30 = 420/month, 5040/year, 50400 in 10 years . Na lie

angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Prostate Cancer Kills 14 Nigerian Men Everyday According To Expert by tayoccu(m): 12:29pm On Nov 01, 2012
Yes problems of the prostrate glands kill up to 14 people every day, but not all prostrate growths are cancerous.
I got to learn this from a urologyst in lagos a couple of weeks ago when my father had a surgery on his prostrate.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Chinese Woman Grows Horn On Head / My Journey In Getting Fit And Losing Weight / Fascinating To Hear That My Baby Has A Bad Breath!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.