Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,330 members, 7,839,568 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 11:01 PM

Children Paying Tithes; IS THIS RIGHT? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Children Paying Tithes; IS THIS RIGHT? (13127 Views)

Should Students Be Paying Tithes. / Femi Aribisala: Every Pastor Who Collects Tithes Is A Thief / Benefits Of Paying Tithes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Children Paying Tithes; IS THIS RIGHT? by dammyking1(m): 11:25am On Nov 08, 2012
uhonmora:

open the link and read. you see the problem with some of you? you will never read and seek out truth. it's a shame.
I've done dat nah!! Nd am tellin u dr is no basis 4 me 2 bliv wat dy wrote!
Re: Children Paying Tithes; IS THIS RIGHT? by nappyboy560(m): 11:26am On Nov 08, 2012
nt right...dy dnt work so y shld dy pay tithe...u pay tithe out of ur sweat right
Re: Children Paying Tithes; IS THIS RIGHT? by dammyking1(m): 11:28am On Nov 08, 2012
Born 2be Rich:

Dont make me laugh...... grin .....When you teach your child to pay tithe doesnt stop you from teaching him to give to the needy....You can pay your tithe and give to the needy....What is there.....Right from the beginning it has been there ,even Cain and Abel brought the sacrifices ( you can consider it too as tithe ) to God......If you dont want to pay your tithe nobody will stop or beg you but dont hinder other people from doing the will of God.....
Guy u get mouth jare!!! Y r we even arguing! Its nt lik dy r forcing u 2 pay!!!as 4 me I will pay till I die!!!
Re: Children Paying Tithes; IS THIS RIGHT? by dammyking1(m): 11:30am On Nov 08, 2012
uhonmora:

what's struggling and hustling? will you sit in your house from. the age of 5 till you are 60 and not hustle?
Nw dr is a clear diff btw a work nd a job! Dr is a clear diff btw being blessed nd hustlin!!!
Re: Children Paying Tithes; IS THIS RIGHT? by Nobody: 11:30am On Nov 08, 2012
Born 2be Rich:

Dont make me laugh...... grin .....When you teach your child to pay tithe doesnt stop you from teaching him to give to the needy....You can pay your tithe and give to the needy....What is there.....Right from the beginning it has been there ,even Cain and Abel brought the sacrifices ( you can consider it too as tithe ) to God......If you dont want to pay your tithe nobody will stop or beg you but dont hinder other people from doing the will of God.....

tithe is not the will of God. Freewill Giving is.

and giving to the poor carries so much more weight that the fraudulent way tithes are being practiced today. if the tithe money was openly distributed among the needy brethren, as opposed to paying salaries and funding affluence, people will have less issues with it.
Re: Children Paying Tithes; IS THIS RIGHT? by omocheche(f): 11:32am On Nov 08, 2012
TITHE IS TEN PERCENT OF YOUR INCOME, DO CHILDREN OR EVEN A STUDENT WHO IS DEPENDING ON THEIR PARENT WORK? MY GOD IS A WISE GOD ABEG.WHICH ONE BE TRAIN UP UR CHILD D WAY HE SHOULD GO AND WHEN HE GROWS HE WILL NOT DEPART FROM IT? IF U WANT TO RAISE UR CHILDREN IN THE WAY OF GOS AND IN A CHURCH WAY U SHLD NO WHAT TO DO NOT TURNING THE WORD OF GOD UPSIDE DOWN TO SUIT OUR SELVES.

1 Like

Re: Children Paying Tithes; IS THIS RIGHT? by Nobody: 11:33am On Nov 08, 2012
double post
Re: Children Paying Tithes; IS THIS RIGHT? by Nobody: 11:33am On Nov 08, 2012
dammy_king:
Nw dr is a clear diff btw a work nd a job! Dr is a clear diff btw being blessed nd hustlin!!!

lol. I have no further response to you as regards this. I value the importance of hardwork and determination, whether as a student or as an employee/employer. if you don't, good for you.
Re: Children Paying Tithes; IS THIS RIGHT? by deesnipes(f): 11:35am On Nov 08, 2012
[quote author=CrazyMan]
Stop misquoting the scriptures.

It didn't say train a child to pay tithe....christ never instructed us to pay tithe.

Read malachi 3:10
Bring all the tithes into the storehouse so there will be enough food in my temple. If you do, says the Lord almighty, I will open the windows of heaven for you. I will pour out a blessing so great you won't have enough room to take it in! Try it! Let me prove it to you!

@op
Asking children to pay tithes is just a way of teaching them what you expect them to do when they grow. Its the same way you teach them how to save when an uncle or aunt gives them money. It is not compilsory, if you feel that's the way you want to train your child, fine. If you think otherwise, fine also but you don't have to castigate those who do.

1 Like

Re: Children Paying Tithes; IS THIS RIGHT? by Sunnybobo3(m): 11:36am On Nov 08, 2012
dammy_king:
Listen eh!! God is d only 1 dat can hold all d parts of ur lif 2geda if u ve a bible dr read malachi 3:10 nd if u don't bliv any part in d bible den u shouldn't bliv in d whole bible

Dude, quit living in ignorance. Malachi 3:10 did not explain what tithe is neither did it explain how it should be paid.

First of all, before you jump to the consequences of paying or not paying tithe which Malachi 3:8-10 dweels upon, it's better to grasp the fundamentals first. The fundamental questions you should seeks answers to first include;

1. What is tithe?
2. How many types of tithes exist?
3. What should be tithed?
4. Who should "pay" the tithe?
5. What should the tithe be used for?

The fundamentals and practice of tithing are fully explained in Deuteronomy 14: 22-29.

Read and be delivered.

Deuteronomy 14:22-29
New International Version (NIV)

22 Be sure to set aside a tenth of all that your fields produce each year. 23 Eat the tithe of your grain, new wine and olive oil, and the firstborn of your herds and flocks in the presence of the Lord your God at the place he will choose as a dwelling for his Name, so that you may learn to revere the Lord your God always. 24 But if that place is too distant and you have been blessed by the Lord your God and cannot carry your tithe (because the place where the Lord will choose to put his Name is so far away), 25 then exchange your tithe for silver, and take the silver with you and go to the place the Lord your God will choose. 26 Use the silver to buy whatever you like: cattle, sheep, wine or other fermented drink, or anything you wish. Then you and your household shall eat there in the presence of the Lord your God and rejoice. 27 And do not neglect the Levites living in your towns, for they have no allotment or inheritance of their own.

28 At the end of every three years, bring all the tithes of that year’s produce and store it in your towns, 29 so that the Levites (who have no allotment or inheritance of their own) and the foreigners, the fatherless and the widows who live in your towns may come and eat and be satisfied, and so that the Lord your God may bless you in all the work of your hands.

It is after seeking and getting the answers to these questions from the scriptures that you'll know that tithing as currently preached by most of our pastors is nothing but scam.

4 Likes

Re: Children Paying Tithes; IS THIS RIGHT? by Nobody: 11:37am On Nov 08, 2012
dammy_king:
Guy u get mouth jare!!! Y r we even arguing! Its nt lik dy r forcing u 2 pay!!!as 4 me I will pay till I die!!!

lol. more like be enslaved until you die.
Re: Children Paying Tithes; IS THIS RIGHT? by Ganys: 11:39am On Nov 08, 2012
chiteny:

I thought tithing was for those who have income as practiced in the bible; for people who "have come of age". What income would a child of less than 5yrs have?
BREASTi MILKangryangryangry
Re: Children Paying Tithes; IS THIS RIGHT? by skibochi(m): 11:40am On Nov 08, 2012
all these people twisting and quoting bible passages misleading people, how do you expect a kid that is not working to pay tithes? when i was growing up, my folks gave us money for offering ONLY!! which was the right thing to do as they were instilling in us the principle of giving back which may not even necessarily be in the house of God. Right now i tithe and it did not need any pastor or reverend to tell me to do that so far one is in tune with God and reads the good book. Make all these churches chill abet
Re: Children Paying Tithes; IS THIS RIGHT? by Nobody: 11:42am On Nov 08, 2012
there are no levitical priests today to pay tithes to. Jesus is our high priest and He never ordered us to tithe to him or any man. he demanded we be generous to those in need...sometimes testing the faith of some to give away all that they had. that was the cost factor of becoming a disciple of christ...in order words, a Christian.

there is no storehouse in place today. we are the temple of the living God the church.

Pastors ought to work just like everyone. they should even teach the lazy ones among the congregation the value of work by showing example.

collecting tithes to pay salaries is just outright deceit.

1 Like

Re: Children Paying Tithes; IS THIS RIGHT? by dammyking1(m): 11:42am On Nov 08, 2012
Sunny_bobo:

Dude, quit living in ignorance. Malachi 3:10 did not explain what tithe is neither did it explain how it should be paid.

First of all, before you jump to the consequences of paying or not paying tithe which Malachi 3:8-10 dweels upon, it's better to grasp the fundamentals first. The fundamental questions you should seeks answers to first include;

1. What is tithe?
2. How many types of tithes exist?
3. What should be tithed?
4. Who should "pay" the tithe?
5. What should the tithe be used for?

The fundamentals and practice of tithing are fully explained in Deuteronomy 14: 22-29.

Read and be delivered.

Deuteronomy 14:22-29
New International Version (NIV)

22 Be sure to set aside a tenth of all that your fields produce each year. 23 Eat the tithe of your grain, new wine and olive oil, and the firstborn of your herds and flocks in the presence of the Lord your God at the place he will choose as a dwelling for his Name, so that you may learn to revere the Lord your God always. 24 But if that place is too distant and you have been blessed by the Lord your God and cannot carry your tithe (because the place where the Lord will choose to put his Name is so far away), 25 then exchange your tithe for silver, and take the silver with you and go to the place the Lord your God will choose. 26 Use the silver to buy whatever you like: cattle, sheep, wine or other fermented drink, or anything you wish. Then you and your household shall eat there in the presence of the Lord your God and rejoice. 27 And do not neglect the Levites living in your towns, for they have no allotment or inheritance of their own.

28 At the end of every three years, bring all the tithes of that year’s produce and store it in your towns, 29 so that the Levites (who have no allotment or inheritance of their own) and the foreigners, the fatherless and the widows who live in your towns may come and eat and be satisfied, and so that the Lord your God may bless you in all the work of your hands.

It is after seeking and getting the answers to these questions from the scriptures that you'll know that tithing as currently preached by most of our pastors is nothing but scam.
Pls wher did dy say tithe shouldn't b paid
Re: Children Paying Tithes; IS THIS RIGHT? by Nobody: 11:43am On Nov 08, 2012
There are many hypocrites in the church these days. Why should a child pay tithe? Does he/she work? The same people who talk so much about tithing if you check them very well they don't pay their tax at all to the government yet, we were all commanded by Christ to give to ceazer what is Ceazers' and to God what is Gods'.
Pay your tax to your government and give to the poor and needy.

2 Likes

Re: Children Paying Tithes; IS THIS RIGHT? by dammyking1(m): 11:46am On Nov 08, 2012
uhonmora:

Listen! I will mak so much moni dat I won't even b feelin it! Nah poor pple dy always complain abt tithe.cause dy r 2 hungry 2 pay it! I sure u must b 1 of dem
Re: Children Paying Tithes; IS THIS RIGHT? by Born2beRich1(m): 11:49am On Nov 08, 2012
uhonmora:

You said the word of God teaches us about free will giving, so if he chooses to pay his tithe and also give to the poor and needy willingly and freely why does it bother you? He is free abeg.....

1 Like

Re: Children Paying Tithes; IS THIS RIGHT? by Nobody: 11:50am On Nov 08, 2012
dammy_king:

simple. if only you will just calm down and read.
the tithes were collected for the poor and the levites who had no inheritance in the Land that was given to the children of israel.

in some cases, they were commanded to eat the tithes in the presence of God (your pastor wouldn't teach you this).

now jesus didn't say we should stop giving, but the tithe system is obsolete now in that there are no levitical priests, no sons of aaron, no yearly atonement of sins with offerings and tithes. He paid for all that once and for all with his blood. the former priestly order in israel for the remission of sins was God > Sons of Aaron > Levitical priests > Children of israel.

The new priestly order for all true christians now is God > Jesus > believers.

And what he emphasized was that we give cheerfully and willingly to the poor and downtrodden, expecting our rewards, not here on earth, but in heaven...

why? to teach believers that we are all one...whether rich or poor.
Re: Children Paying Tithes; IS THIS RIGHT? by Nobody: 11:52am On Nov 08, 2012
Born 2be Rich:

You said the word of God teaches us about free will giving, so if he chooses to pay his tithe and also give to the poor and needy willingly and freely why does it bother you? He is free abeg.....

...because the tithe is a legalistic form of giving. freewill giving means all types of legalistic and compulsory giving have been done away with.
Re: Children Paying Tithes; IS THIS RIGHT? by Nobody: 11:56am On Nov 08, 2012
All of you quoting malachi 3:10,

first read malachi 1:1 and 2:1 and then follow the trail of accusations all the way down to chapter 3.

who was God accusing?

The Priests in israel...

Certainly not the gentiles, who never had the command to tithe in the first place.

so chill. you really think that Christ will call you a robber and curse you for not paying tithes? these men of the cloth have done a damn good job.

1 Like

Re: Children Paying Tithes; IS THIS RIGHT? by Sunnybobo3(m): 11:57am On Nov 08, 2012
dammy_king:

I'm not arguing with you on the proprieatary of paying or not paying. That'll be a story for another day. The portion of the bible i referenced above, gives instruction on how to spend your tithe. I have never seen a portion of the bible that said you should give your tithe to your pastor.

It clearly says you should eat your tithe in the house Of God with strangers, fatherless, widows, poor etc not forgetting the Levites(pastors) because they have no inheritance among you.

The only reason the Levites (pastors) were to partake in eating the tithe was because they owned no property among the others as they lived in the temple as full time workers and had no source of income or inheritance. Pastors today have businesses, inherit parents properties, work, receive salaries or allowances. What I'm saying in essence is that the scripture clearly states that tithe should be used mainly on the poor and needy in the society.

1 Like

Re: Children Paying Tithes; IS THIS RIGHT? by Born2beRich1(m): 12:00pm On Nov 08, 2012
uhonmora:

...because the tithe is a legalistic form of giving. freewill giving means all types of legalistic and compulsory giving have been done away with.

Where is it legal...is it in the constitution?.....

You people keep on criticizing the pastors about tithes but you forget that they also preached about giving to other people....

Giving tithes and sacrificial giving is a way of showing God that you thank him for what he has done..

King solomon gave that biggest offering (read your bible) and built a magnificient temple for God (not only poor and needy now but also to GOD)....We should learn to give to the poor, helpless and needy but it shouldnt hinder you from sacrificing one tenth of your earning to God....

As for the pastor, yes i agree that there are fruadulent pastor and it is confirmed in the bible but the ultimate judge is God so it is advisable to continue your on work and let God handle them accordingling...
Re: Children Paying Tithes; IS THIS RIGHT? by fluffybaby(f): 12:00pm On Nov 08, 2012
Hian, hmmm na wa o. There is nothing pastors won't preach to increase their salaries o. So when mom or dad gives a small child money for ice cream, thief pastor dey wait to share am too? Chie see broad daylight stealing candy from a child. Only people who work and earn money from that work are entitled to pay tithes o. Money wey pesin dash you no dey titheable. But you fit decide to give offering from an to say God thank you for this unexpected blessing. You tithe from income earned.

Children , Chhiiiildreeeen! Don't give any money dad or mom gives to you to that uncle over there ok?

1 Like

Re: Children Paying Tithes; IS THIS RIGHT? by Nobody: 12:05pm On Nov 08, 2012
In the practice of the early Christians, Paul, Peter, John, Philip and the rest, what they did was to contribute ALL they had into central pause where they shared with each other and all disciples, the poor and the needy. They shared these equally amongst themselves so that no one is richer or poorer than the other. This was their practice. This is a sharp contrast from what is being practised in churches nowadays. Do the present acclaimed Christians know Christ more than the Apostles?
This is the reason I admire the Catholic Church. They don't emphasise too much on tithe yet whatever its being contributed in the church they give back to the society through social welfare they set up like orphanages, old people's homes, clinic, schools etc, which are often free of charge in most cases. This is exactly how the early Christians lived their lives.
Re: Children Paying Tithes; IS THIS RIGHT? by tobechi20(m): 12:06pm On Nov 08, 2012
A man earns 100,000 a month. He pays 10% as tithe .He gives d housewife 40,000 4 hause upkeep. She gives 4,000
as as tithe. He gives 4 children allowance of 4,000 monthly

this is excluding the church ofertory,thanksgving, harvest, sow a seed, etc.

At d end, d family spends 50% of d income in church. Tel me church isnt lucrative

1 Like

Re: Children Paying Tithes; IS THIS RIGHT? by Nobody: 12:07pm On Nov 08, 2012
Born 2be Rich:

Where is it legal...is it in the constitution?.....

You people keep on criticizing the pastors about tithes but you forget that they also preached about giving to other people....

Giving tithes and sacrificial giving is a way of showing God that you thank him for what he has done..

King solomon gave that biggest offering (read your bible) and built a magnificient temple for God (not only poor and needy now but also to GOD)....We should learn to give to the poor, helpless and needy but it shouldnt hinder you from sacrificing one tenth of your earning to God....

As for the pastor, yes i agree that there are fruadulent pastor and it is confirmed in the bible but the ultimate judge is God so it is advisable to continue your on work and let God handle them accordingling...

Are you flying to heaven and giving God your tithes directly? have you asked your pastors what they do with the tithe collections week in, week out, month in, month out, year in, year out? if a substantial part of the money is not being used to take care of the needy, then you are not giving to God, you are giving to greedy men...because the essence of tithe collection practiced in israel was mainly to take care of the needy.
Re: Children Paying Tithes; IS THIS RIGHT? by Nobody: 12:09pm On Nov 08, 2012
fluffybaby: Hian, hmmm na wa o. There is nothing pastors won't preach to increase their salaries o. So when mom or dad gives a small child money for ice cream, thief pastor dey wait to share am too? Chie see broad daylight stealing candy from a child. Only people who work and earn money from that work are entitled to pay tithes o. Money wey pesin dash you no dey titheable. But you fit decide to give offering from an to say God thank you for this unexpected blessing. You tithe from income earned.

Children , Chhiiiildreeeen! Don't give any money dad or mom gives to you to that uncle over there ok?

lol.
Re: Children Paying Tithes; IS THIS RIGHT? by Goshen360(m): 12:10pm On Nov 08, 2012
Laughing in tongues..... grin grin grin

There is nothing like tithe ANYMORE for Christians, only giving. Get sound doctrine!
Re: Children Paying Tithes; IS THIS RIGHT? by fluffybaby(f): 12:11pm On Nov 08, 2012
By the way, when a child of 13 or 18 or younger pays tithe the mnumu pastor should know that he should be in school studying not working. These pastors don't even serve God like missionaries of old who built many schools for the poor and dedicated time to teach the interedted people in the area to read and write. Nowadays they enjoy seeing porverty cos those expectant poor people will keep giving miracle expectation oferrings.

1 Like

Re: Children Paying Tithes; IS THIS RIGHT? by Nobody: 12:14pm On Nov 08, 2012
Goshen360: Laughing in tongues..... grin grin grin

There is nothing like tithe ANYMORE for Christians, only giving. Get sound doctrine!

lol. we have to take time to teach some of these people. the pastors have done very good jobs so much so that their immune systems are rejecting sound doctrine without giving it a second thought.

2 Likes

Re: Children Paying Tithes; IS THIS RIGHT? by rhymz(m): 12:16pm On Nov 08, 2012
esere826: If its an accepted church tradition, then its great that the kids learn at a tender age
hahahah. . .what next are they going to learn, prolly steal and give it to Daddy GO to hold for "god". Sick religious people

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

And Such Were Some Of You : Will Believers Not Enter The Kingdom?- Jack Kelley / E-Grace Convention 20-14 / Do You Believe In Generational Curses.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.