Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,915 members, 7,817,684 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:17 PM

My 'Pikin Syrup' Maker Is Dead - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / My 'Pikin Syrup' Maker Is Dead (13535 Views)

Photo Benelin And Codein Syrup Abuse In Northern Nigeria. / 'My Pikin' Syrup Makers Jailed, Company Closed / Dangers Of Taking Codine Cough Syrup By Mi Abaga (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

My 'Pikin Syrup' Maker Is Dead by webaplanet(m): 7:35am On Nov 06, 2012
The producer of ‘My Pikin’ teething mixture, Kola Gbadegbesin Okunlola, is dead.

The late Kola Gbadegbesin Okunlola.

He had been standing trial alongside his company, Barewa Pharmaceutical Limited, and two staff of the company, Adeyemo Abiodun and Egbele Austin Eromosele.

Okunlola died on 27 October, 2012, aged 58 years.

Sources said Okunlola died at St. Nicholas Hospital, Lagos, Southwest Nigeria, where he was admitted when he suffered haemorrhage stroke.

A native of Ikimu, Osun State, Southwest Nigeria, the late pharmacist attended Akinorun Grammar School, Ikirun, University of Bradford in the U.K. He qualified as a pharmacist 39 years ago.

On 8 March, 2009, he was arraigned alongside his company with two other staff on a six-count charge of manufacturing and distributing adulterated drugs.

In the criminal charge filed by senior state counsel from the office of Attorney-General of the Federation, A.K. Aliu, it was alleged that Okunlola, Abiodun, Eromosele and Barewa Pharmaceutical Company of 1-5 Olugbo Close, Shasha, Akowonjo, Lagos, on or about 2008, conspired together to manufacture and distribute adulterated drug ‘My Pikin’ baby teething mixture with the intention to cause death or grievous bodily harm to members of the public.

They were therefore accused of committing an offence contrary to Section 1(A) of the Counterfeit and Fake Drug and Unwholesome Processed Foods Act 25 of 1999 which is punishable under Section 3 of the same Act.

They all pleaded not guilty and their counsel, Mr. Osaro Eghobamien, SAN, applied that they be admitted to bail.

But the prosecutor, A.K. Aliu, opposed the bail application on the grounds that the drugs allegedly produced by the accused persons had caused the death of so many children.

In his reaction, Eghobamien told the court that the claim by NAFDAC that ‘My Pikin’ has caused the death of many children was nothing but a ruse as the accused persons were not charged with murder, no death certificate was filed before the court and investigations conducted revealed that the children who died were above the age of children that can use baby teething mixture.

He said, invariably, the death of the children whose identities were not disclosed to the court might be as a result of other causes.

After listening to the submission of the counsel to both parties, the presiding judge, Justice Okechukwu Okeke said there is no death certificate filed before the court to prove that deaths occurred by the use of the drug.

He, therefore, admitted the accused persons to bail on stringent conditions. They were able to meet the bail conditions in about three months.

Justice Okeke also warned that if the bail was used as a ploy to delay the trial, it will be revoked.

Okunlola was equally arraigned before a Kaduna High Court charged with murder. But the case was later struck out for lack of diligent prosecution.

The trial in Lagos dragged on for about three years. The prosecutor managed to call two of his witnesses before Okunlola died.

When P.M.NEWS called his counsel, Mr. Eghobamien, he said it was unfortunate that the man died before the conclusion of his trial, as he could not prove his innocence before his death.

Some of his neighbours at 16, Ilawe Street, Gbagada, Lagos, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the man was a good and amiable person.

They opined that his problem started when NAFDAC in frenzy of media trial claimed that the man had been producing baby mixture that had killed many children.

They added that his factory was closed down and even another factory that was not part of Barewa Pharmaceutical Company was also closed down. All efforts made by the late pharmacist to ensure the other factory was reopened was abortive.

One of the children of the deceased, Mr. Femi Okunlola, 33, a manager with an oil and gas company, who spoke with P.M.NEWS on behalf of his family, said his father lived in Lagos with his wife while his other four children were based abroad. According to the burial programme released by his family, there will be a wake on 14 November, 2012. He will be buried 16 November, 2012 at Ikoyi Cemetery, Lagos.

Okunlola had worked briefly with Boots Pharmaceutical Company, London and when he returned to Nigeria, joined Pfizer Pharmaceutical Company before he established Barewa Pharmaceutical Company.

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2012/11/05/my-pikin-syrup-maker-dies-of-stroke/

Re: My 'Pikin Syrup' Maker Is Dead by cleric(m): 11:32pm On Nov 06, 2012
Okay...RIP.
Re: My 'Pikin Syrup' Maker Is Dead by benedictjohn(m): 11:34pm On Nov 06, 2012
Sorry jaree!!! I ŊƠ̴̴̴̴͡ knw y I evn dey post dis comment....
Re: My 'Pikin Syrup' Maker Is Dead by Nobody: 11:35pm On Nov 06, 2012
WOULD I SAY HIS SOUL SHOULD REST IN PEACE WHEN TENS OF INNOCENT BABIES DIED AS A RESULT OF HIS FAKE DRUG? WELL JUDGEMENT AWAITS HIM IN HELL!

1 Like

Re: My 'Pikin Syrup' Maker Is Dead by NEROSKY(m): 11:35pm On Nov 06, 2012
>>.My Pikin' Syrup Teething Mixture Maker Dies Is Dead « can someone explain this

1 Like

Re: My 'Pikin Syrup' Maker Is Dead by Redmosquito(m): 11:35pm On Nov 06, 2012
Strange! I feel...sad sad
Re: My 'Pikin Syrup' Maker Is Dead by Nobody: 11:35pm On Nov 06, 2012
RIP Mr Brain. Nigeria murders her heroes.
Re: My 'Pikin Syrup' Maker Is Dead by Nobody: 11:36pm On Nov 06, 2012
court cases in nigeria is enough to send anyone to his early grave.
pray you don't ever enter any court case in nigeria
Re: My 'Pikin Syrup' Maker Is Dead by acidtalk: 11:37pm On Nov 06, 2012
Moderators CORRECT that gbagaun on the home page so that the man doesn't die a second time.

Ah! Ah!! Ibon yi ti poju now.

3 Likes

Re: My 'Pikin Syrup' Maker Is Dead by Nobody: 11:37pm On Nov 06, 2012
The front page title is laughable. Dies is dead? Nawa for Mukina!

1 Like

Re: My 'Pikin Syrup' Maker Is Dead by sherrylo: 11:38pm On Nov 06, 2012
R.I.P
Re: My 'Pikin Syrup' Maker Is Dead by sherrylo: 11:42pm On Nov 06, 2012
"Dies is dead" grab your latest oxford edition grin
Re: My 'Pikin Syrup' Maker Is Dead by TableLeg(m): 11:43pm On Nov 06, 2012
RIP Mr Okunlola
Re: My 'Pikin Syrup' Maker Is Dead by mallorca(m): 11:43pm On Nov 06, 2012
R.I.P
Re: My 'Pikin Syrup' Maker Is Dead by Emusan(m): 11:44pm On Nov 06, 2012
RIP!!! dont drink my pickng n heaven or hell ooo, dats my advise
Re: My 'Pikin Syrup' Maker Is Dead by mbhs139(m): 11:46pm On Nov 06, 2012
berem: WOULD I SAY HIS SOUL SHOULD REST IN PEACE WHEN TENS OF INNOCENT BABIES DIED AS A RESULT OF HIS FAKE DRUG? WELL JUDGEMENT AWAITS HIM IN HELL!

The case is still in court. At least you must have read that in the story. Or what is your grouse?

I feel sorry for the man and woman who laboured so hard and denied themselves so many luxury in life to make sure you have an education.

Is this how you want to pay them back, showing off how ridicously educated you are?

17 Likes

Re: My 'Pikin Syrup' Maker Is Dead by OYINBOGOJU(m): 11:49pm On Nov 06, 2012
After he killed as many children as possible through his killer drug.

Rest in Pieces

2 Likes

Re: My 'Pikin Syrup' Maker Is Dead by TableLeg(m): 11:51pm On Nov 06, 2012
OYINBOGOJU: After he killed as many children as possible through his killer drug.

Rest in Pieces

Dude have some respect ... Or get lost!!!!
If you knew the inside story you won't be all up here spewing nonsense .... Dolt!

4 Likes

Re: My 'Pikin Syrup' Maker Is Dead by Pimples(m): 11:52pm On Nov 06, 2012
It's a pity.......no proof in court....... Nigeria keeps killing it's talents...............another wasted talent

2 Likes

Re: My 'Pikin Syrup' Maker Is Dead by stonebridge: 11:56pm On Nov 06, 2012
Okunlola died on 27 October, 2012, aged 58 years.

Sources said Okunlola died at St. Nicholas Hospital, Lagos, Southwest Nigeria, where he was admitted when he suffered haemorrhage stroke.

A native of Ikimu, Osun State, Southwest Nigeria, the late pharmacist attended Akinorun Grammar School, Ikirun, University of Bradford in the U.K. He qualified as a pharmacist 39 years ago.

Did he become a pharmacist at age 19?. It's either he was older than 58 or didn't qualify as a pharmacist 39 years ago. Nigerian journalism sef.

1 Like

Re: My 'Pikin Syrup' Maker Is Dead by makaveli1(m): 12:04am On Nov 07, 2012
Hmmm
RIP anyways!!

1 Like

Re: My 'Pikin Syrup' Maker Is Dead by realsammie(m): 12:04am On Nov 07, 2012
Another talented NIGERIAN brain wasted.
In naija we kill our talents
in the developed countries they consolidate on theirs, and sometimes even consolidates on ours.
Nigeria gradually backsliding into the fifth world countries; if there is anything as such
Re: My 'Pikin Syrup' Maker Is Dead by nex(m): 12:10am On Nov 07, 2012
May his soul Rest In Peace. Dora Akunyili was on AIT saying this man was innocent, as the problem of the teething powder originated from the imported chemicals used as raw materials for the drugs. The chemicals were wrongly labelled when they entered the country, and NAFDAC passed them.

This man's problems arose though when he refused to pay the under-the-table amount requested of him by Dora Akunyili.

One of the major issues we have with justice in this country are the lawyers. If I had that initial video where Dora Akunyili went on TV absolving the pharmacists, I would have long proven their innocence. It's a shame!

Once again, may his soul find rest. He was greatly wronged.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My 'Pikin Syrup' Maker Is Dead by COOLDUN: 12:12am On Nov 07, 2012
May his soul rest wherever his deeds in the world places him.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Cancer, One Of Top Killer Diseases In Ibadan In Three Years ― UCH / Medical Tourism: Senate Moves To Block Revenue Leakages, Exodus Of Doctors, ... / Man Beaten By Police In Adamawa In Coma (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.