Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,782 members, 7,817,248 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:45 AM

Nelson Mandela Banknotes Issued In South Africa - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Nelson Mandela Banknotes Issued In South Africa (9407 Views)

Woman Strips Unclad To Hug Mandela Statue / Nelson Mandela Is Dead / How Is Nelson Mandela An Africa Hero? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nelson Mandela Banknotes Issued In South Africa by nitlad: 6:48pm On Nov 06, 2012
Nelson Mandela banknotes issued in South Africa

The first banknotes featuring the face of Nelson Mandela have gone into circulation in South Africa.

They are the first South African notes to bear the image of a black person - they replace notes with wild animals and rural and industrial scenes.

President Jacob Zuma says the banknotes were a "humble gesture" to express South Africa's "deep gratitude".

Mr Mandela, 94, is one of the world's best loved figures after spending 27 years in prison for fighting apartheid.

Reserve Bank governor Gill Marcus was the first to use the new banknotes when she spent 160 rand, about $18 (£12) on some nuts, beetroot, a watermelon and a cucumber at her local shop in the capital, Pretoria.

She said that Mr Mandela was delighted with the design.

She also noted that South Africa tries to update its currency every seven years for security reasons. The new design includes watermarks and a metal strip, while raised printing was added to assist the visually impaired.

Mr Mandela's face is on one side of all the new banknotes, while the "Big Five" animals - lion, leopard, rhino, buffalo and elephant - remain on the reverse.

He won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1993 for his campaign against white minority rule and was elected president the following year before stepping down after a single term.

Known affectionately by his clan name "Madiba", he has now retired from public life.

Source

5 Likes

Re: Nelson Mandela Banknotes Issued In South Africa by morpheus24: 7:01pm On Nov 06, 2012
About time!
Re: Nelson Mandela Banknotes Issued In South Africa by nitlad: 7:02pm On Nov 06, 2012

3 Likes

Re: Nelson Mandela Banknotes Issued In South Africa by ifysoft: 7:07pm On Nov 06, 2012
MADIBA
Re: Nelson Mandela Banknotes Issued In South Africa by gbogboti: 7:08pm On Nov 06, 2012
The only responsible black leader Africa has alive! Congratulations MANDIBA!!!

5 Likes

Re: Nelson Mandela Banknotes Issued In South Africa by ubong560(m): 7:08pm On Nov 06, 2012
Exactly! D right image dat constitutionally deserves 2b ther. 2ND 2 COMMENT. Dat means arsenal would loose. Lol.
Re: Nelson Mandela Banknotes Issued In South Africa by Kakability(m): 7:09pm On Nov 06, 2012
Am glad i have mine with me now, jus 10 Rand though that is 200 sha, is a great move by south africa, as for naija only dead heroes are on dia currency note. When will they use the face of our most beautiful president (OBJ) In our note? Sha him too went to PRISON? 1st to comment. Up southy boy.

2 Likes

Re: Nelson Mandela Banknotes Issued In South Africa by Kockane(m): 7:09pm On Nov 06, 2012
Honour well deserved. Now I'm waiting for Nigeria to follow suit. Terry G's face on N5000 note. All in support say NAY!!! grin
Re: Nelson Mandela Banknotes Issued In South Africa by dramenda(f): 7:09pm On Nov 06, 2012
GREAT MAN.GOD BLESS HIM.
Re: Nelson Mandela Banknotes Issued In South Africa by dove24u(m): 7:10pm On Nov 06, 2012
Great for Nelson Mandela grin grin grin
Re: Nelson Mandela Banknotes Issued In South Africa by Kockane(m): 7:11pm On Nov 06, 2012
...And if I may ask, ow many bowls of Gari can this note buy in the Nigerian market?
Re: Nelson Mandela Banknotes Issued In South Africa by Iaz93: 7:12pm On Nov 06, 2012
wow. . . .nice meHn... MADIBA
Re: Nelson Mandela Banknotes Issued In South Africa by abbey37(m): 7:13pm On Nov 06, 2012
Na When NAija go get naira note wey go carry OBJ face now? Atleast the guy go prison for us too
Re: Nelson Mandela Banknotes Issued In South Africa by Iaz93: 7:13pm On Nov 06, 2012
Kakability: Am glad i have mine with me now, jus 10 Rand though that is 200 sha, is a great move by south africa, as for naija only dead heroes are on dia currency note. When will they use the face of our most beautiful president (OBJ) In our note? Sha him too went to PRISON? 1st to comment. Up southy boy.

1st to comment For where Yeah, OBJ he's good too
Re: Nelson Mandela Banknotes Issued In South Africa by miracleoscar(m): 7:15pm On Nov 06, 2012
I think this is the second most called name "Madiba" in the world
Re: Nelson Mandela Banknotes Issued In South Africa by LAX89(m): 7:15pm On Nov 06, 2012
gbogboti: The only responsible black leader Africa has alive! Congratulations MANDIBA!!!

I agree with you, but it's MADIBA not MANDIBA
Re: Nelson Mandela Banknotes Issued In South Africa by evatee(m): 7:15pm On Nov 06, 2012
This is cute and nice. Trust naija presido and Govs...they can never do single term and leave office. Nelson Mandella shld be emulated by all our corrupt leaders here in Naija.The SA Government did well by honouring NM this way.
Re: Nelson Mandela Banknotes Issued In South Africa by Cupidkc(m): 7:22pm On Nov 06, 2012
Kockane: Honour well deserved. Now I'm waiting for Nigeria to follow suit. Terry G's face on N5000 note. All in support say NAY!!! grin
wht mor cn i say...nay!
Lol
Re: Nelson Mandela Banknotes Issued In South Africa by otumfour(m): 7:37pm On Nov 06, 2012
he looks chinese on the note.....jim kun hin grin
Re: Nelson Mandela Banknotes Issued In South Africa by Remii(m): 7:39pm On Nov 06, 2012
gbogboti: The only responsible black leader Africa has alive! Congratulations MANDIBA!!!

Mandela, the only black man with a statue in Parliament Square, London. His Presidential shirt brand is so popular and expensive but sells like hot cake in South Africa.
Re: Nelson Mandela Banknotes Issued In South Africa by yuzedo: 7:42pm On Nov 06, 2012
I heard CBN plans to honor Theodore Orji & Alao-Akala with their faces on redesigned N1000 note.. kiss
Re: Nelson Mandela Banknotes Issued In South Africa by Decryptor(m): 7:45pm On Nov 06, 2012
The only Sane South African. A country full of Xenophobics
Re: Nelson Mandela Banknotes Issued In South Africa by modicum: 7:51pm On Nov 06, 2012
Africa's greatest man.He is indeed worthy of the honour.
Re: Nelson Mandela Banknotes Issued In South Africa by Nobody: 7:53pm On Nov 06, 2012
modicum: Africa's greatest man.He is indeed worthy of the honour.
Decryptor: The only Sane South African. A country full of Xenophobics
So so true.

1 Like

Re: Nelson Mandela Banknotes Issued In South Africa by Nobody: 8:14pm On Nov 06, 2012
Very handsome man.
Re: Nelson Mandela Banknotes Issued In South Africa by Novice1(m): 8:18pm On Nov 06, 2012
nitlad:
The first banknotes featuring the face of Nelson Mandela have gone into circulation in South Africa.

They are the first South African notes to bear the image of a black person - they replace notes with wild animals and rural and industrial scenes.

President Jacob Zuma says the banknotes were a "humble gesture" to express South Africa's "deep gratitude".

Mr Mandela, 94, is one of the world's best loved figures after spending 27 years in prison for fighting apartheid.

Reserve Bank governor Gill Marcus was the first to use the new banknotes when she spent 160 rand, about $18 (£12) on some nuts, beetroot, a watermelon and a cucumber at her local shop in the capital, Pretoria.

She also noted that South Africa tries to update its currency every seven years for security reasons. The new design includes watermarks and a metal strip, while raised printing was added to assist the visually impaired.

Mr Mandela's face is on one side of all the new banknotes, while the "Big Five" animals - lion, leopard, rhino, buffalo and elephant - remain on the reverse.

He won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1993 for his campaign against white minority rule and was elected president the following year before stepping down after a single term.

Known affectionately by his clan name "Madiba", he has now retired from public life.

Now, thats the stuff with which statesmen are made

1 Like

Re: Nelson Mandela Banknotes Issued In South Africa by alajor(m): 8:21pm On Nov 06, 2012
I just love dis man! Viva madiba

1 Like

Re: Nelson Mandela Banknotes Issued In South Africa by Horus(m): 8:32pm On Nov 06, 2012
[size=17pt]'Madiba excited about new notes'[/size]

NOV 6, 2012

Former president Nelson Mandela is excited about the new banknotes bearing his image which went into circulation, SA Reserve Bank (SARB) governor Gill Marcus said in Pretoria.

"He is delighted, very excited about it. We did show him the designs, the drafts and everything else," she said.

"This is our way to pay tribute to him. Madiba does represent something special, not only in South Africa. He is really an extraordinary human being."

Marcus made the first transaction with the new banknotes on Tuesday morning at the Lynnwood Housewives' Market, east of Pretoria.

"As far as I am aware, yes [I am the first person using the notes]. How privileged am I?," she said, laughing.

The governor was mobbed by reporters and camera crews when she went around the fruit and vegetable shop picking produce. She bought packets of nuts, beetroot, a sliced melon and a cucumber for R159.99.

[img]http://cdn.mg.co.za/crop/content/images/2012/02/25/Mandela_Sapa_300.jpg/300x300/[/img]

Marcus said the new banknotes would be available at banks and automated teller machines later on Tuesday.

"We want to ensure that everyone is familiar with the new notes, whether you are in rural or urban areas, because we don't want anyone making a dummy of some kind," she said.

She said there were heightened security features on the new notes to avoid counterfeiting.

"It's hard to replicate. You have to feel the raised print, look for the watermark and if you tilt it you can see the moving colours," she said.

In September, the SA Reserve Bank launched a national campaign for the new range of banknotes honouring Mandela.

The bank said the range was themed "One of a kind" and that the campaign was aimed at educating the public about the banknotes.

The new R200, R100, R50, R20, and R10 notes show Mandela's face on the front, and the Big Five animals, which appear on the existing notes, on the back.

Security features include watermarks, micro-printing, and unique numbering. Raised printing was added to assist the visually impaired.

The new banknotes are the same size as the old notes, which will remain legal tender.

Marcus said that as at December last year, banknotes to the value of R100 billion were circulating within the South African economy.

Source: http://www.sowetanlive.co.za/news/business/2012/11/06/madiba-excited-about-new-notes
Re: Nelson Mandela Banknotes Issued In South Africa by Nobody: 8:43pm On Nov 06, 2012
Decryptor: The only Sane South African. A country full of Xenophobics

Haibo!!!! Stop with the generalizations, please!
Re: Nelson Mandela Banknotes Issued In South Africa by Fidelcruiz(m): 8:47pm On Nov 06, 2012
nitlad: Nelson Mandela banknotes issued in South Africa

Source
To me he's not only the Madiba of SA but the Madiba of the entire Africa. Other African leaders more especially our Nigerian rulers should emulate him rather than wanting to die in office. God bless Mandela

3 Likes

Re: Nelson Mandela Banknotes Issued In South Africa by Nobody: 9:11pm On Nov 06, 2012
is 50 rand the highest denomination in south africa? he deserves more than that abeg!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Army Doctor Murders 11 Soldiers, Wounding 31 Others In Fort Hood Texas / Shocking Video – Zimbabwe Pastor Caught Bonking Church Member' Wife [video] / Stephen Miller Tests Positive For Covid-19

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.