Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,942 members, 7,817,767 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:59 PM

How Do You Deal With Suicide Thoughts? - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / How Do You Deal With Suicide Thoughts? (7428 Views)

Need Help Coping With Suicide / Women How Do You Deal With Period Pain? / How Do You Deal With Your Pimples? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do You Deal With Suicide Thoughts? by AdexOmoby(f): 12:53pm On Apr 17, 2013
alosiby92: @adexomoby: read your post....wow...even his own twin did not know? You see, people close to them NEVER see it coming..
@raynold...I've been just as depressed before...then I would think about suicide...it was not the planning of how i would do it per se but more of who would miss me when I was gone....
I thought about my parents and how sad they would be...how disappointed..how ungrateful it would make me as a child after all their hard work and efforts....I thought of how expensive funerals were and how wicked it would be of me to burden them with that expense~even after my death....
I thought of my sisters....the one closest to me...how sad she would be...how she would never be the same and maybe even never move on with life because of me...about how she would fail school and get deppressed and sad and maybe even mentally unstable~all because of me..
I thought of all the friends I had made and how they would think of me as outwardly I am a friendly, popular and outgoing person......

And then i thought of how quickly they would move on with life without me and then my death would have been a waste....
Selfish me decided to stick it out and get over myself because people will forget about you eventually but what also hit home was:
As a christian, FEAR OF GOD! How dare I end a life that was given as a gift?...it was not mine to end in the first place and I don't see myself heading to heaven after killing myself...I just dont...it is after all murder and in some sense giving up on GOD, like He is not worth living for or something....
That set me right..maybe it could help you?

His twin did not know ooo...Kenny was someone who was always online, always had a way of getting this mtn cheat code and so after his death, we all realised that he hadnt been online for the past 3weeks, this was quite strange and we didn't not even notice it. Likewise, while he was till around before he went for his IT, he reportedly said to another flat mate whose room was opposite his that it is a pity he would not be around for our convocation...and true to his words he wasnt around...We all thought he meant, he would be on IT, we didn't take it serious and who would have thought of the fact that perhaps he meant he would be dead...
I have only considered it once and just like you too, all the things you say you think off are all that occupies my mind too. In all, I know I may never make heaven and that scares ooo!
Re: How Do You Deal With Suicide Thoughts? by Nobody: 12:54pm On Apr 17, 2013
timpaker: I lost a close friend to suicide few years back after our final year exam, he was an intelligent dude (one of the best in his department), he took his own life with his tie in his room without telling me the problem.
All he did was borrow a text book from me (which i still need if i can access his books or stuff)and complain about a guy owing him money and i promised to help him get it with my influence, the next day i heard he took his own life. Just like that!

In his own case, I didn't see him as a depressed fellow and I still wonder what drove him to suicide.
Of course, like everyone else who knew him, we suspected a foul play but things just didn't add up well to prove our points.

90 percent of those who committed suicide had psychiatric disorders or substance-abuse problems.Sadly, many who suffer such disorders are not inclined to seek help. Why not? because there is strong prejudice in society.
Sometimes too suicidal persons showcases lives different from the one they live in private. This kind of live which they fear to showcase may include: gayism, habbitual masturbation(in this case they often look innocent in regard to sexual practice and would be devastated to think of their trusted friends and families finding out in the long run and then the eventual disappointment and rejection especially when they'd been viewed with lots of admirations for the supposedly acheivements either in academics or other fields of endeavour. same goes for male male/female female attraction(gayism)). Either of the above could be the problem with your friend. He could have been battling it and suffering a relapse thus thinking that ending his life is a better ulternative. If he was that close to you, you'd have noticed some strange behaviours if you think deeply. My sympathies though!
Re: How Do You Deal With Suicide Thoughts? by ezme(m): 12:55pm On Apr 17, 2013
sauer: One thing many don't know is how suicidal thoughts actually drive one to become creative. A little more patience and these people would have recorded astonishing achievements!

Depression drove someone I know to becoming an Atheist. He never really contemplated suicide. Atleast, that is what he says.
Re: How Do You Deal With Suicide Thoughts? by byns: 12:59pm On Apr 17, 2013
@op
by killing myself

1 Like

Re: How Do You Deal With Suicide Thoughts? by Elxandre(m): 1:00pm On Apr 17, 2013
Suicidal thoughts occur when the victim has lost every outlet that causes him any happiness..there are different stages of unhappiness. But some are really very extreme as a result of life seeming to hold any purpose for the victim.

Talking about controlling depression with drugs, thats one unrealistic fallacy which will even lead to more depression in the long run. I dont think anyone would want to stay alive with all happiness lost and only some temporary effect antidepressants to live on.

As far as i am convinced there is only one way out, and that is psychological treatment .
And to conclude, depressed people dont really show it to others. I never loose my smile even when i'm acutely depressed. Potentially suicidal people dont necessarily go about gloomily because the act of taking one's life is surely not a cowardly act. The seeminly tough people are even most suicidal..
Re: How Do You Deal With Suicide Thoughts? by jjgirljay(f): 1:04pm On Apr 17, 2013
I still can not understand it,I lost someone close as well and each time I remember I want to ask him why. I battled depression few years ago,was lucky to get help and move pass it. Suicidal tots can be overcome. Take things easy,try not to be alone(move in with friends or family) drugs and alcohol is the last thing to take,you are better off with sweet things. Pick up a childhood habit that you love and be positive.

It's important to talk to someone and get professional help.
Re: How Do You Deal With Suicide Thoughts? by Elxandre(m): 1:05pm On Apr 17, 2013
The fear of God is important too. Because no matter how pushed you are, you would still not do it if you respect the power of life itself and the fact God can change any situation in a few minutes.

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Deal With Suicide Thoughts? by mcdokwe(m): 1:06pm On Apr 17, 2013
although I have never contemplated suicide, I have had extremely depressed, either from being broke without solution within sight, feeling jilted by a loved on or not being appreciated by family despite sacrifices to please them. but in all. the most I have thought of was leaving home not to hang, but to be missed by family and possibly improve on myself so much that I would be much desired. In the case of being jilted,I always told myself and truly did believe that I was the best any girl could wish for, and that leaving me was her loss and not mine and an opportunity for someone else to benefit from my love.
besides why commit suicide when u have a longer time to spend in eternity than you have here? die u shall someday, just don't go in a hurry
Re: How Do You Deal With Suicide Thoughts? by Nobody: 1:10pm On Apr 17, 2013
You need to seek help and drugs like "citalopram" do help as well... It's basically just part of life and growing especially when an individual is driven and very ambitious... Also, don't drink alcohol and stop feeling sorry for yourself... Go out there and make things happen, the world is yours..

I've never really had suicidal thought(I love life too much)... However, I've got friends and loved ones who have been through this, at one stage, or the other, in the lives - who've moved on from that, to achieve greatness... Sometimes, it's a blessing in disguise, just to enhance people's consciousness...

Enjoy life, sis - you've only got one, and make sure you make your mark and stamp your footsteps all over it - before you leave.

Shalom!
Re: How Do You Deal With Suicide Thoughts? by Nobody: 1:12pm On Apr 17, 2013
You need to seek help and drugs like "c-i-t-a-l-o-p-ram" do help as well... It's basically just part of life and growing especially when an individual is driven and very ambitious... Also, don't drink alcohol and stop feeling sorry for yourself... Go out there and make things happen, the world is yours..

I've never really had suicidal thought(I love life too much)... However, I've got friends and loved ones who have been through this, at one stage, or the other, in their lives - who've moved on from that, to achieve greatness... Sometimes, it's a blessing in disguise, just to enhance people's consciousness...

Enjoy life, sis - you've only got one, and make sure you make your mark and stamp your footsteps all over it - before you leave.

Shalom!

1 Like

Re: How Do You Deal With Suicide Thoughts? by Biggoozz: 1:34pm On Apr 17, 2013
alosiby92: Suicide. Self murder. Ending one's life.How has it affected you? how did you deal with it?
A few days ago I lost a friend of mine that I was quite close to. He was the one person I would have never expected to take his own life yet he did. To him this world was just too much and he couldn't take it anymore. depression coupled with being bipolar drove him to do what he did. At times i am angry with him for not reaching out, but most ties I cry and think of how short life is and how any things I wanted to say to him and wished I could have been more than just an ordinary friend to him.

At the same time he never realised how much of an impact he had on people's lives....I myself in the past have contemplated suicide when i felt life was rough. I remember being really depressed and telling my parents and all they said was that I should focus on my schoolwork. I wanted to end it all. But then my faith and the thought of all those who would miss me and be devasted and who would blame themselves for my death prevented me. I'm glad I am still alive today to share this.
How have you handled the suicide of a friend or loved one?
have you contemplated suicide yourself?

If so, do share reasons why (if you feel comfortable)
Let those who love you most know how you are feeling, get help. talk to someone. suicide is not the best alternative. there is always a way, something to live for no matter how little. Life is a gift. dont make it premature or waste the time you have left cherish it. Help prevent someone else's loss. it helps to know someone cares.

[b]In 2007, after I lost about N4m in two separate business crisis after borrowing as a final attempt of long hard-work to pull out of doom and poverty, I did not only think of killing myself, but I started gasping for dear breath due to hopelessness. God sent me a saviour who offered some hope and today I have a happy son, wife and family member and the society, who thank God that I am alive love them and impact their lives. Today I am also doing well and dont think that a N4m cheque would make me loose my calm.

This is what I've got to say...I have never heard of any suicide case that does not have a parallel evidence of people with more challenging situations who by some determination or miracle overcame and confounded the situations. PEOPLE THAT COMMIT SUICIDE COULD HAVE HAD A LIFE BEYOND THEIR DREAMS IF THEY HAD WAITED, IF SOMEONE SPOKE HOPE ABOUT GOD'S LOVE, POWER AND ABILITY TO DELIVER.

Mankind suffer because of lack of knowledge of God and His purpose for our lives. I know this God in whom I believed- Just this morning my father was jerking and dying and I asked for people with him thousands of miles away to put the phone in his ears, I spoke to this same God; the father of us all and commanded his life to stay, and the man got restored from the crisis. Now my revelation of this JESUS has deepened and I have authority and dominion over this life. [/b]

3 Likes

Re: How Do You Deal With Suicide Thoughts? by delors(m): 1:39pm On Apr 17, 2013
whatever happens to me...good or bad, I know I will smile at the end and say 'phew! I made the most of this gift!'
Trust me, life is not a bed of roses...at all. I have gone through stuffs that ordinarily would make a man think of suicide...
Just hod firm...believe the worst that can happen to you is what is happening right now, it cannot get any worse...the only direction now is for it to turn in the right way. I mean, what could be worse than 'worst'?
Look up to God, the author and finisher of our faith. Don't expect too much; live one day at a time; reach out; stay connected; and never lose this important element - 'HOPE'. That is all we need.

Happy living smiley
Cheers!
Re: How Do You Deal With Suicide Thoughts? by Capnd143(m): 1:40pm On Apr 17, 2013
SimonAndal:
_
Really? Wow, I guess being in Nigeria really helped me. SMH.
simply tell the suicidal guy to join nairaland. He will have a lot of help. Just login in every morning to see hilarious topics in front page will make him laugh himself out of suicide, coupled with a litle participation in nairaland virtual e-wars will help him feel some sense of belonging, the politics section will make him wanna live long enough to call Gej retardeen, the romance section will make him wanna **database error**.
All the same nairaland helps to take away daily stress.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Deal With Suicide Thoughts? by biolabee(m): 1:44pm On Apr 17, 2013
Toktee: Nonesense,just run into moving train thats all you dont need to make people know ur intention mr devil will be glad to received you at the other end ok,is a choce dnt disturb people here with thiz insane issue.

Another eddiot born prematurely

1 Like

Re: How Do You Deal With Suicide Thoughts? by Iceslizer(f): 1:47pm On Apr 17, 2013
byns: @op
by killing myself

grin grin grin
Re: How Do You Deal With Suicide Thoughts? by Kslib(m): 1:59pm On Apr 17, 2013
*following##
Re: How Do You Deal With Suicide Thoughts? by avalontony(m): 2:00pm On Apr 17, 2013
The following steps will help you overcome sucidal thoughts:
1. Listen to good RnB, blues, gospel music.
2. Get a pet
3. Read motivational books.
4. See a funny movie
5. Ask God to take away sucidal thoughts, pray for peace in your inner soul.
6. Visit a viewing center and watch a game.
Re: How Do You Deal With Suicide Thoughts? by Fhemmmy: 2:04pm On Apr 17, 2013
Just remember the good times, and always remember that if you kill yourself, it is never the end of the problem, you have only succeed in passing on the torch of problem to the one behind you.
No matter the case, remember, the only thing that is constant is change and you can make it happen, surround yourself with reliable people and true friend and try not to be alone at the times, whatever it is, speak it OUT.
Re: How Do You Deal With Suicide Thoughts? by Nobody: 2:14pm On Apr 17, 2013
AdexOmoby:

His twin did not know ooo...Kenny was someone who was always online, always had a way of getting this mtn cheat code and so after his death, we all realised that he hadnt been online for the past 3weeks, this was quite strange and we didn't not even notice it. Likewise, while he was till around before he went for his IT, he reportedly said to another flat mate whose room was opposite his that it is a pity he would not be around for our convocation...and true to his words he wasnt around...We all thought he meant, he would be on IT, we didn't take it serious and who would have thought of the fact that perhaps he meant he would be dead...
I have only considered it once and just like you too, all the things you say you think off are all that occupies my mind too. In all, I know I may WILL never make heaven (if you kill yourself)and that scares ooo!
Re: How Do You Deal With Suicide Thoughts? by Nobody: 2:29pm On Apr 17, 2013
sadAsk those who think of suicide...
And I will ask them wht makes them think of suicide in d 1st place.
I have had my fair share of the vissicitudes of life and I have learnt that the solution to one chalenge brings us face to face wt another..
Eeennhee.. This notion that God gvae hs only begoten son jesus to die for our sin and that Jesus had d power not to die but he chose to die, isn't that suicide? sad
Re: How Do You Deal With Suicide Thoughts? by beylinko(m): 2:30pm On Apr 17, 2013
Suicide in most case is caused by depression which in turn makes the victim feel a sense of unworthyness. if a suicidal person could only see past the present circumstance, they would realize nothin is worth takin this precious gift called life
i once contemplated suicide but thank God, i never did it. l had "challenges" in my academics, i was in my final year then. A little problem led to strings of so many others. for almost two years i swam in them with no end in sight,thought abt where i felt i should be, many of my mates i was better of that graduated while i could not and so many other bul$#!ts. Mind you i said buk$#!t because the devil would keep feeding the mind with them. But somehow, i saw past them and lookin back now i cant but say thank God i passed through them because it made me who i am.
There is a particular trend those who commit suicide follow. they always look okay on the outside but they are always disturbed,rotten in the inside. What gets rotten is their self esteem,they suddenly become cowards.
Sincerely,using drugs causes more pains than good. Which drug can heal a twisted,foocked mind. in my own case i knew there is always an end to everytin, even if it takes a century. so if u are going tru anything just know someone is out there going thru what u r going tru and will gladly swap his for yours.CHALLENGES/PROBLEMS MAKES ONE STRONGER THEY ARE NOT TO KILL...SEE IT THIS WAY

1 Like

Re: How Do You Deal With Suicide Thoughts? by Nobody: 2:35pm On Apr 17, 2013
Suicide is genetical..
It runs in some families..
Check your Family history..

1 Like

Re: How Do You Deal With Suicide Thoughts? by Image123(m): 3:11pm On Apr 17, 2013
suicide ke? All that is needed is Jesus, the real Jesus.
Re: How Do You Deal With Suicide Thoughts? by sobastical: 3:23pm On Apr 17, 2013
free2ryhme: if you have a friend with dis problem i recommend you send d person to nigeria. After a day or 2 stay he/she will change his/her mind. Gbam!

How would nigeria help in this issue?
Re: How Do You Deal With Suicide Thoughts? by Culex: 3:35pm On Apr 17, 2013
You overcome suicide-inducing (or related) thoughts by studying God's Word.
Get into the Word of God, study it for yourself and this ignominious feeling will leave you.
Suicide leads to eternal damnation. Anyone who commits it goes to hell! Never let the devil coerce you into taking your life. Refuse to entertain his thoughts and antics.
Come to think of it, your life belongs to God, not you.
Live for him and you'll walk in victory always.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Deal With Suicide Thoughts? by Idacrux: 4:15pm On Apr 17, 2013
I could remember vividly,A 300L guy of physics/astro. Cgpa of 4.64,three different scholarship grant every session,his parent was rich.on dis fateful he took his own life by hanging in d middle of d night.He wrote a note that"The controversy is over!!".
Re: How Do You Deal With Suicide Thoughts? by kalufelix(m): 4:15pm On Apr 17, 2013
give me one bottle of alchohol make ah drink away ma sorrows...
Dont ever get depressed
get outta dat room
feel the wind as de blow the trees
look at the clouds
observe the birds
light up some weed
and u re sure gonna enjoy every breath
Re: How Do You Deal With Suicide Thoughts? by horny4u(f): 4:25pm On Apr 17, 2013
5 HTP will take the edge off and supply serotonin to the brain. Stay away from prozac and other anti depressant medicine enough of them have suicide as side effects.

Go to alagbo omo and get herbs for tyhpoid (There is a link between lack of serotonin and tyhpoid / samonella)

Play your fav music and dance (ayefele always works)

Move to a more friendly and warm city ( Lagos not london)

During winter get a sad lamp (phillips 10000iux was very helpful)

Valerian tea for anxiety

Vitamin D 5000 and above + get some sun in

Exercise Sauna

ZERO sugar and additives

Ultimately moving back to Africa to be with family cured me but tips above helped lots

Most important gratitude journal of 10 things I m grateful for each day.

Finally sorry about your friend.May your heart heal
Re: How Do You Deal With Suicide Thoughts? by Orikinla(m): 4:39pm On Apr 17, 2013
[size=18pt]Loving thoughts of yourself and loving thoughts of others help to overcome suicide thoughts.
No matter your predicament and state of despair, remember that you are still better than millions of other humans in the world and they are still living and working successfully no matter their challenges and odds against them.

Like imagine these awesome people on http://www.oddee.com/item_97470.aspx and they are having their best lives![/size]
Re: How Do You Deal With Suicide Thoughts? by ifihearam: 4:45pm On Apr 17, 2013
DEMONIC MANIPULATION
Re: How Do You Deal With Suicide Thoughts? by whitemosquito(f): 4:59pm On Apr 17, 2013
There are some temperaments that are naturally prone to mood swings which if not cautioned, can result in recurrent depression (melancholics). And has anyone noticed that these suicides are usually brilliant/intelligent ppl? That tells me that it is not something that can be reasoned out rationally, rather it has a lot to do with the emotions and feelings. Thankfully such cases are not as prevalent in 9ja as in other 1st world or even African countries, me thinks its cos of the never-say-die attitude of nigerians, the survive-at-all-costs mentality. I personally battled depression for a number of years, still do. I also watched my mum fight it. Nonetheless, its a lil selfish to end one's life without considering the effect on the ones u live behind. Could our oga at the top-Seun- create a section where ppl could pour their hearts out, maybe?

1 Like

Re: How Do You Deal With Suicide Thoughts? by MAYOWAAK: 6:29pm On Apr 17, 2013
I define suicide as a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

I just noticed that life is too short to start wasting a good percentage of it being sad, complaining or even committing suicide over things that are not worth it.

In the year 2002, Nokia 3310 was N75k with N40k Econet simcard. Today it's N700 and the sim is free.
#BE PATIENT (If u can't afford now, u will later.)

In 2003 Samsung C100 was N48k and I must recharge with at least N1500 airtime every two weeks or else my sim will be blocked. Today it's N800 and I don't even need to recharge to retain my sim {customers are needed}...

In 2004 Sendo X with camera and 16mb memory card {one of the
cheapest mp3 enabled phone back then} was N39k. Today it's free. U fit no collect if dem dash u sef.

In 2006 Sagem My V55 was N30k today its going for N300.

2008 nko Blackberry Bold 2 was N135k today blackberry is no more producing new bold 2... So London used na N15k.. U can get 9ja used for N6k.

So my friend, because u neva dey use Blackberry porch, HTC smart phones, android, ipad, iphone, playbook or Nokia 808, u come dey frown face dey sad.

Just wait and see coz before 2015, our children go dey use dem as
toys.

Everybody get time o and na different time we get, so if u like kill ursef when ur time never reach.

The good thing about time is, when it's ur time, people will celebrate u naturally.

Life is too short for u not to be happy o... I dey tell u.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Pastor Adeboye Builds N100m Cancer Screening And Prevention Center / Newly Diagnosed HIV Positive / 10 Warning Signs Of Lung Cancer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.