Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,558 members, 7,812,800 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:30 PM

Reason Why Many Nigerian Artistes Shoot Their Videos In SA. - Music/Radio (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Reason Why Many Nigerian Artistes Shoot Their Videos In SA. (24103 Views)

Nigerian Artistes And The Trend Of Shooting Their Videos Overseas! / Lets Demand For Artist To Shoot Their Videos In 9ja. / Nigerian Pop Musicians And The New Trend Of White Girls In Their Videos. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reason Why Many Nigerian Artistes Shoot Their Videos In SA. by ajayioluwatobi(m): 10:29am On Nov 08, 2012
Even terry hit song 'see groove' was shot in S.A.
Re: Reason Why Many Nigerian Artistes Shoot Their Videos In SA. by jba203: 10:54am On Nov 08, 2012
I LIKE NIGERIA A LOT. THE PROBLEM WITH NIGERIA IS THAT U GET TO BRIBE PEOPLE IN EVERY CORNER. ASK FOR A DIRECTION..YOU ARE ASKED TO COUGH UP..HOTEL STAFF ASK FOR MONEY...JUST TO PROCESS YOUR ACCOMODATION. AT THE AIRPORT IS EVEN SCARY. THAT IS VERY STRANGE TO US. UNLESS NIGERIANS START TO REALISE THAT THEIR COUNTRY IS IN A " DOG EAT DOG" SITUATION..IT WILL NEVER PROSPER

2 Likes

Re: Reason Why Many Nigerian Artistes Shoot Their Videos In SA. by Itoroetti(m): 10:55am On Nov 08, 2012
werepeLeri:

so all d videos shows infrastructures? even those which just show a bunch of girls in a shopping mall dancing?
do u only look at d girls?alwaz endeavor 2luk at d background
Re: Reason Why Many Nigerian Artistes Shoot Their Videos In SA. by Itoroetti(m): 10:57am On Nov 08, 2012
uihebom: stay there until agberos will come and seize your camera B4 you start shooting. Omonile must chop.

to an extent,u are coreckt
Re: Reason Why Many Nigerian Artistes Shoot Their Videos In SA. by wholexy009(m): 11:03am On Nov 08, 2012
saxywale:
sad but true.. Even OAU staff quarters is 200 times finer than ikoyi/VI. I wish they could shoot music videos there.
true talk, shooting a music video in some selected location inside OAU will definitely give a better video quality than some of those over hyped places around
Re: Reason Why Many Nigerian Artistes Shoot Their Videos In SA. by coruso(m): 11:03am On Nov 08, 2012
alaoeri: Videos in SA are cheaper & environmental friendly than in 9ja.
that is true to an extent but have the visited calabar?, the should.
Re: Reason Why Many Nigerian Artistes Shoot Their Videos In SA. by Gonzaga1010(m): 11:10am On Nov 08, 2012
Ok na
Re: Reason Why Many Nigerian Artistes Shoot Their Videos In SA. by sauceEEP(m): 11:16am On Nov 08, 2012
@op the article is an eye opener but how does it affect d fact that d price of garri wil b doubled as we approach the festive season? *heading back to garri thread to seek for ans*

2 Likes

Re: Reason Why Many Nigerian Artistes Shoot Their Videos In SA. by basher(m): 11:29am On Nov 08, 2012
omenziate: Omo onile and agbero issue is a big problem, could remember when chuddy K was interviewed by a TV host, he said he spent close to 3mil on the gaga crazy video, he had to settle about 6 factions of agberos/omo onile who had the intention to vandalise and beat dem

Omo onile & Agbero? Bunch of useless weed smoking lazy bastards. Why fashola no dey see all these ones? Instead he go dey run him mouth dey ask hard working people to "return to their village".
Re: Reason Why Many Nigerian Artistes Shoot Their Videos In SA. by simdam500(m): 11:39am On Nov 08, 2012
I wish both naija and S.A d best
Re: Reason Why Many Nigerian Artistes Shoot Their Videos In SA. by younglad007(m): 11:40am On Nov 08, 2012
I personally tink the reason dey go to SA is because of the infrastructure,ppl now have dis SA craze to the extent dat they now shoot advert(like dettol nd so on)there
Re: Reason Why Many Nigerian Artistes Shoot Their Videos In SA. by AjanleKoko: 11:41am On Nov 08, 2012
South Africa has a lot of well-designed production sets.
Not only music videos are shot there. A lot of the TV ads from Nigerian corporations that you see are shot in SA.

Remember Banky W's 20s-esque gangster video. Shot on a set in South Africa.
Re: Reason Why Many Nigerian Artistes Shoot Their Videos In SA. by Revolva(m): 11:44am On Nov 08, 2012
Am sure those guys don't know what chances they are giving to the souths -- its not dat our locations are not perfect but an average artist want international exposure of video quality which to me its like a waste of money - flying from here to there and hotel bookings just for one song which won't eve receive worldwide views -its just inferiority complexity
Re: Reason Why Many Nigerian Artistes Shoot Their Videos In SA. by Nobody: 12:55pm On Nov 08, 2012
coruso:
that is true to an extent but have the visited calabar?, the should.

Exactly this. I hate to be the one to flog this dead horse but what's the status of the Tinapa Studios? I think we underestimate just how good that place could be.

In addition, somewhere like The Royal Arts Academy (http://royalartsacademy.tv/) could expand their curriculum to include music video production.

All in due time, I believe Nigeria can become a truly friendly environment for the music and film industries.
Re: Reason Why Many Nigerian Artistes Shoot Their Videos In SA. by kabaka1: 1:40pm On Nov 08, 2012
Best solution 4 this situation is 4 naijas to invest more on their infrastructures and develop better training schools 4 film/music video artists. Location won't be much of a problem if these people r well trained.

1 Like

Re: Reason Why Many Nigerian Artistes Shoot Their Videos In SA. by sweetcheecks(f): 2:01pm On Nov 08, 2012
Itoroetti :
I can't imagine but laff at this piece.i tink d main reason d do their shoot in SA is d infrastrutural development,not d price.offcourse,it's higher to shoot in SA than naija.SA is not like naija where u dont pay location fee,over there,u must pay it.

Lolest, this is funny.!!!

Its like listening 5-7 years olds view of the world. LMAO grin grin grin. In SA only 5-7 year old talk like this.It seems like nnot only the women are liberated but their kids are more matured at as well. grin grin cheesy cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Reason Why Many Nigerian Artistes Shoot Their Videos In SA. by SAGirl: 2:23pm On Nov 08, 2012
LOL... I really have always wondered why Nigerian artists come to SA to shoot their videos.

After all, you guys have a much bigger entertainment industry than us... surely there should be some Nigerian mogul who has started investing in the industry by now?

Whenever I watch your movies I wonder why don't you have proper studios... you make so many movies, movie-makers (and video-makers) should by now be spoilt for choice when it comes to where to shoot.

Anyway, the article is right about South African girls not being interested in being paid for videos. I was once in a music video myself and I wasn't paid for it, but I was on TV and I still have the video as a reminder of how fine i looked 10 years ago :-)

Are you telling me that if you go to any university in Nigeria you wont find girls who are prepared to be in 2Face or P-Square's video for free? I find that hard to believe.

I think the big question to ask here is: WHY DO NIGERIAN ARTISTS PREFER TO FEATURE LIGHT-SKINNED WOMEN IN THEIR VIDEOS? What is this inferiority complex that Nigerian men still have about light-skinned women being prettier/sexier?

3 Likes

Re: Reason Why Many Nigerian Artistes Shoot Their Videos In SA. by TmMartins(m): 2:53pm On Nov 08, 2012
We needs progressive government that will support our entertainment industries.
The industries lack government support and good policies to develops and strengthens this sub -sector of our economy.
God Bless Good People of Nigeria!!!
Amen!!!!!!!
Re: Reason Why Many Nigerian Artistes Shoot Their Videos In SA. by AjanleKoko: 4:08pm On Nov 08, 2012
MrMister:

Exactly this. I hate to be the one to flog this dead horse but what's the status of the Tinapa Studios? I think we underestimate just how good that place could be.

In addition, somewhere like The Royal Arts Academy (http://royalartsacademy.tv/) could expand their curriculum to include music video production.

All in due time, I believe Nigeria can become a truly friendly environment for the music and film industries.

Funny enough I was thinking about Tinapa myself. How can such a humongous investment be allowed to rot by both the FG and Liyel?

I'd have expected that Calabar would be one of the airports getting a makeover. That is our number one tourist destination at this time.

Nigeria sha embarassed
Re: Reason Why Many Nigerian Artistes Shoot Their Videos In SA. by CHANCEMAN: 4:30pm On Nov 08, 2012
Are you telling me that if you go to any university in Nigeria you wont find girls who are prepared to be in 2Face or P-Square's video for free? I find that hard to believe.

I think the big question to ask here is: WHY DO NIGERIAN ARTISTS PREFER TO FEATURE LIGHT-SKINNED WOMEN IN THEIR VIDEOS? What is this inferiority complex that Nigerian men still have about light-skinned women being prettier/sexier?

[/quote]

Is this peculiar to NIgerian men or black people even in the US.
Re: Reason Why Many Nigerian Artistes Shoot Their Videos In SA. by Litmus: 12:50am On Nov 09, 2012
publisher: WHY MANY NIGERIAN ARTISTES SHOOT THEIR MUSIC VIDEOS IN SOUTH-AFRICA.
South Africa is not just another African country; she is the most industrialized nation on the continent. South Africa’s industrialization did not start at the end of Apartheid; rather Apartheid was one of the numerous tools used to fuel that countries infrastructural growth. Cheap black labour was effectively utilized in the development of the rainbow nation. The white settlers of South Africa, in conjunction with their ancestral European nations did not relent in building relevant infrastructures inside their African settlement especially during Apartheid’s peak periods.

South Africa is better than Nigeria, not necessarily because she has white settlers and constant electricity (though she does) but because that country has a different spirit from Nigeria. South Africa like Nigeria has majority of her citizens (blacks) living in poverty and to top that, the rainbow nation has the highest crime rate and HIV rate in the world. But the South African ‘spirit’ has given her people the wisdom to propagate and promote only the good sides of their nation.

The South African government and her people never miss any opportunity to tell the world that their nation is the best place in the world, in spite of their numerous challenges. As for Nigeria; corrupt government politicians are the ones telling the world how good Nigeria is. While those in ‘opposition’ are always on hand to counter the government’s position and even add ‘jara’ to their interpretation of deplorable challenges in Nigeria just to buttress their point.

But this article is not about Nigeria’s woes or politics, IT’S ABOUT MUSIC, so let’s loosen up a bit.

I bet most fans and viewers of recent Nigerian music videos have noticed a seemingly multi-racial identity that several Nigerian music videos have now acquired. There seems to be a trend of our local artistes featuring multiracial casts or extras on their music videos, especially females.

Most of these music videos are shot in no other place than South Africa. It’s now common place to see a Nigerian music video set in exotic or rundown South African locations, the artiste cruising a right-hand drive car with white or mullato women cascading the scene here and there. Nigerian artistes like Faze, Naeto C and P-square pioneered this rush to shoot music videos in SA. Before long, the Mo’Hits crew followed suit and now the likes of Flavour, KCEE and Bracket are addicted to this concept. But can we really blame them? Of course not.

The truth, which I eventually discovered, is that it makes more economic sense to shoot a music video in SA. Yes, we have Nigerian music video directors like Clarence Peters, Patrick Ellis and Aje that are doing great things on Nigerian locations but they don’t come in cheap. I don’t know exactly how much top-rated Nigerian directors charge to do music videos but I heard it’s in the millions. So, again, why South Africa?

Okay, here’s a gist I got from some of my industry friends based in South Africa; you all know about GODFATHER production? Most times we see their credits on many South African made-Nigerian music videos. The owner of Godfather productions is a Nigerian married to a South African lady and word has it that he does not even know what a camera looks like, let alone handle it. And so, how does a Godfather production shoot Nigerian music videos?
South Africa is home to many world class film institutions that train movie makers and directors from all over the world, including Nigeria. Our very own Clarence A Peters also trained in one of such institutions.

This is how it goes; a Nigerian artiste...say FLAVOUR decides to shoot a music video in South Africa and informs Godfather productions. The folks at Godfather contact some final year students in one of those SA film institute’s, inviting them to come use the production of a certain Naija music video as their project. These students, eager to impress their institutions and come out with good grades rush to embark on such music videos. The people at Godfather’s production after selecting the ‘lucky student(s)’ now decide to pay them a stipend, most times less than $1,000 (N150k) and these SA film students become over-joyed because they are somewhat being paid for doing their homework .

When it’s production time, it gets even easier; shooting a music video in SA is as easy as getting a permit and heading to your location anywhere in the city. There are no area boys or ‘omo onile’s’ to settle before shooting your stuff, and for the sexy multi-racial female models? South African women are more liberal and fun loving, most of them love appearing on music videos just for fun. With the popularity Nigerian music now enjoys in South Africa, these ladies sometimes struggle to feature on popular Naija artistes’ music videos.

So, that pretty White or Mullato lady you see on some Nigerian music videos are just having a good time, at the end of shoot they are rewarded with a nice meal, lots of alcohol and taxi fare, full stop. This is in sharp contrast to engaging Nigerian video vixens, where the pretty ones demand higher fees and the ‘accidental’ mixed raced ones amongst them even make higher and ridiculous demands.

When next you are watching that Nigerian music video shot in South Africa, please just enjoy the music and don’t blame that Nigerian artiste for not shooting in Nigeria. It has nothing to do with status or not wanting a black Nigerian cast; it has everything to do with economics of scale.

Probably explains why so many of the videos have become less Afrocentric, less original, lewd and no longer promotes African female beauty
Re: Reason Why Many Nigerian Artistes Shoot Their Videos In SA. by safarigirl(f): 8:02am On Nov 09, 2012
How many artistes still shoot in SA? Since the advent of Clarence P. most artistes now shoot in Naija/London/US, very few are in SA, was holla @ your boy shot in SA? Kukere, ur waist, gaga crazy, anam achikwanu, stupid song, fine fine lady, confam, my dear, dami duro, like to party, ihe neme, i could go on, the only thing SA has is white or bi racial gurls willing to dance around in bikinis and cheaper directors, which isn't even worth it
Re: Reason Why Many Nigerian Artistes Shoot Their Videos In SA. by SAGirl: 10:53am On Nov 09, 2012
CHANCEMAN:

Is this peculiar to NIgerian men or black people even in the US.

I am asking this directing it to Nigerian men because you are the ones saying so in this forum. I have never heard an American rapper or South African artist saying they want light-skinned women in their videos. And if you watch the videos, you will see that there is a healthy balance of women featured.
SA and USA have a higher white population so you should expect to see some of them in videos (otherwise it would be discrimination), but for Nigerian videos the numbers just don't balance.

Even other African (DRC for example) videos feature more dark-skinned women that you guys.
Re: Reason Why Many Nigerian Artistes Shoot Their Videos In SA. by adewex(m): 11:39am On Nov 09, 2012
KINGwax: True but a little crappy!
When 2face shot videos in S.A, it's clearance P. When mo hit did, it was alwys sesan. How is dt cheap?
Besides dt, what fuckin video is Godfather producing? Those craps? Seriously, apart from 'Danger', and one 'e no easy'abi wetin be d title self? which P-square video is actually the bomb?
Videos shot in S.A, apart for showin off the beach, white girls dancing, what other ish are they carrying? No originality, jst two or three dumbshit black asss artists dancing among the lots of fluorescent-skinned white asss chicks!
kindly tell us the Videos clearance shot for 2face in SA? The last time i checked he shot 2, Only Me (Not in SA) & IHE NEME (Obviously not in SA too)
Re: Reason Why Many Nigerian Artistes Shoot Their Videos In SA. by Ignatio(m): 6:16am On Nov 10, 2012
So what do Clarence, Aje, Patrick Ellis and their likes charge that make Nigerian Artists run to SA for videos?

Me I think it's just for status and it puts them in a proper position to charge higher for shows.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Hip-hop Video Vixens / Funke Akindele Jenifa - 'I Want To Rap' (Audio) / Top 10 Under-Rated Rappers In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.