Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,837 members, 7,810,219 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:29 AM

What If There Is No Afterlife? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What If There Is No Afterlife? (3670 Views)

Afterlife proof For Atheists And Whoever Cares / THE FOLLY Of Afterlife / Ihedinobi And Image 123 let's scripturally discuss the afterlife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What If There Is No Afterlife? by flyKUDE(m): 6:08pm On Apr 19, 2006
imagine after being good/suffer here on earth and then we just die and don't go nowhere, just what do you think
Re: What If There Is No Afterlife? by Seun(m): 6:24pm On Apr 19, 2006
There was no beforelife, therefore there will be no afterlife. Simple!
Re: What If There Is No Afterlife? by stylgirl(f): 10:47am On Apr 20, 2006
well i just hope there's none because it wouldn't be so pleasant angry angry[color=#990000][/color]
Re: What If There Is No Afterlife? by clemsonfan(m): 5:34pm On Apr 20, 2006
If you read the holy bible, not the muslim bible the "koran", it plainly tells you that after you die you will be judged for all of your actions in your past life and will be sent to either Heaven or Hell. But, I think of it this way, I would rather live my life believing that their IS A GOD and die and find out that there isn't one, than to live my life believing that their IS NO GOD and die and find out that THERE IS A GOD. smiley smiley
Re: What If There Is No Afterlife? by Free(f): 10:54pm On Apr 20, 2006
there no life after death, you soul go back to god, i think
and you dont go to HEAVEN when you die,
if we did go straight to heaven when we die, sho i would be deathcheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: What If There Is No Afterlife? by flyKUDE(m): 12:01pm On Apr 21, 2006
or conversely speaking,just where are my dead grandparents right about now?, and solomon,and all thso dead people?.
Re: What If There Is No Afterlife? by Free(f): 3:15pm On Apr 21, 2006
They are Dead!!!!!!! cheesy
Re: What If There Is No Afterlife? by travellor: 10:58am On Apr 23, 2006
There is no after and before , life is with god, our souls are put into our body inorder to perfect ourself and free from evry thing and to be with the allmighty (holy spirit or universal soul or god )
Re: What If There Is No Afterlife? by kimba(m): 4:47am On Apr 24, 2006
If there is no afterlife, then we are all gunners,

@Seun
There was no before life, therefore there will be no afterlife. Simple!
How certain were you that there was no "beforelife". Based on what you read, on based on first-hand info you were part of?

John1: 1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Yes, there was a Beginning
- The Bible affirms that the world has not always been here. Things are not "as they always have been". Scientists who understand things like the Law of Thermodynamics will tell you that this law shows that there was a beginning to the world as we know it.

God is Eternal
- Though the world had a beginning, God has always existed. He was there in the beginning. God is the uncaused cause, the one who has always been and always will be.

God brings meaning out of Chaos
- We read that the world was formless and empty. God took that which was nothing and made it something. He took what was purposeless and made it purposeful. God is the architect of our world. He is the Creator.

Whatever has a beginning must have an end.
- The Bible tells us about the end of time. The Bible encourages believers to be ready. The Bible tells of of an afterlife. There is no reincarnation: "man is destined to die once, and after that to face judgment" (Heb. 9:27, NIV). Both good and bad will be raised to face judgement, Paul says in Acts 24:15 "there will be a resurrection of both the righteous and the wicked."

Jesus affirmed conscious reward after death: to the thief on the cross "today you will be with me in paradise." (Luke 23:43) Jesus also spoke of a man who "died and was carried away by the angels to Abraham's bosom" (Luke 16:22). Again, "When the dead rise, they will be like the angels in heaven." (Mark 12:25)

In a statement almost universally accepted as a reference to death, Paul says we "would prefer to be away from the body and at home with the Lord." (2 Cor 2:cool

In the Old Testament, Job stated in what is generally considered a statement about resurrection (i.e. life after death) that he believed "after my skin has been destroyed, yet in my flesh I will see God; I myself will see him with my own eyes-I, and not another." (Job 19:26,27)

Much more could be said, but to sum up the traditional Christian position: everyone lives once then is judged and experiences eternal reward or eternal punishment after death.
Re: What If There Is No Afterlife? by KAG: 2:58pm On Apr 24, 2006
kimba:

If there is no afterlife, then we are all gunners,

Arsenal supporters? tongue
Re: What If There Is No Afterlife? by TV01(m): 3:05pm On Apr 24, 2006
Hi,

KAG:

Arsenal supporters? tongue

I believe the team are referred to as "Gunners", the supporters are popularly called "Gooners"

I ordinarily wouldn't say no to the chance of a game with Arsenal, but since I subscribe to the fact of an "Afterlife", I'll be signed up to better things.

grin
Re: What If There Is No Afterlife? by KAG: 3:23pm On Apr 24, 2006
TV01:

Hi,

Hello,

I believe the team are referred to as "Gunners", the supporters are popularly called "Gooners"

I ordinarily wouldn't say no to the chance of a game with Arsenal, but since I subscribe to the fact of an "Afterlife", I'll be signed up to better things.

grin

Ah, thanks for the correction.
Re: What If There Is No Afterlife? by Babybee(f): 9:09pm On Apr 28, 2006
life or no life after death,i believe it is better to live your life as if there is God and die to find out there isn't than live your life as it there isn't and die to know there is.Uhm, that's gonna be a bit disheartening. I bet you don't want to say HAD I KNOWN!!!
Re: What If There Is No Afterlife? by Seun(m): 6:52pm On Apr 29, 2006
I would rather live my life believing that their IS A GOD and die and find out that there isn't one, than to live my life believing that their IS NO GOD and die and find out that THERE IS A GOD. Smiley Smiley

What if the God you choose is not the correct one? if you choose jesus and you meet Allah you will burn in hell. If you choose Allah and you meet jehovah the same thing. And what if God turns out to be someone who loves evildoers and atheists but hates religious people and sends them to hell? What if he's a tyrant?
Re: What If There Is No Afterlife? by kimba(m): 10:22pm On Apr 29, 2006
@Nwoke
What if the God you choose is not the correct one? if you choose jesus and you meet Allah you will burn in hell. If you choose Allah and you meet jehovah the same thing. And what if God turns out to be someone who loves evildoers and atheists but hates religious people and sends them to hell? What if he's a tyrant?
Some people just feel thrilled when they try to get simple things mixed up, dont they grin grin grin

so Nwoke, let me ask you the question: Do you believe in Life after Death? Yes or No
Re: What If There Is No Afterlife? by Rhodalyn(f): 10:23pm On Apr 29, 2006
N whoeva said there was??
Re: What If There Is No Afterlife? by kimba(m): 10:46pm On Apr 29, 2006
God said it.

grin
Re: What If There Is No Afterlife? by KAG: 1:30am On Apr 30, 2006
Babybee:

life or no life after death,i believe it is better to live your life as if there is God and die to find out there isn't than live your life as it there isn't and die to know there is.Uhm, that's going to be a bit disheartening. I bet you don't want to say HAD I KNOWN!!!
That Pascal was one hell of a rogue, and has a lot to answer for (almost makes one wish there was an afterlife).
Re: What If There Is No Afterlife? by KAG: 1:39am On Apr 30, 2006
Nwoke:

The complete cartoon: http://ononion.livejournal.com/1576.html
Re: What If There Is No Afterlife? by Seun(m): 4:17am On May 05, 2006
funny as hell. I've posted it here:
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-12100.0.html
Re: What If There Is No Afterlife? by supaguy(m): 3:32am On Jun 16, 2006
of course there is life after death. If u know ur Bible well, u will know that there is everlasting life for those who accept Christ, and are found worthy when He comes. For those who reject Him, there is going to be eternal doom in the Lake of fire, where there's going to be gnashing of teeth! U don't want to imagine being there.
Re: What If There Is No Afterlife? by Seun(m): 7:50pm On Jun 16, 2006
what about those of us who don't believe the bible?
Re: What If There Is No Afterlife? by Ka: 9:14pm On Jun 16, 2006
For those who reject Him, there is going to be eternal doom in the Lake of fire, where there's going to be gnashing of teeth!  U don't want to imagine being there.
I'm intrigued.

Tell me more about this Lake of Fire. Does it burn you up completely? If so, that means you die again, right? Then do you go to Hell - Level 2 - like you do in computer games? And if you do, is the fire there even hotter? Or does it just inflict the pain of burning without actually burning you? When you say Lake of Fire - does it mean that there is petrol in the lake that is aflame? Or is the entire lake (from top to bottom) filled with fire? If so, what burns to produce the fire?

And this gnashing of teeth. Is it compulsory? I mean, what if I'm old by then and all my teeth have fallen out - is gnashing of gums acceptable? Why the emphasis of teeth gnashing - is there some deeper symbolism at work here? Perhaps the fire isn't that hot - maybe it's a lukewarm Jacuzzi of Fire - is that why it will only produce gnashing of teeth rather than scratching out of eyes in extreme pain?

I'd appreciate an honest reply. Remember, there is the possibility that I might be convinced and scared into renouncing my sinful ways and embracing the Way of the Lord!
Re: What If There Is No Afterlife? by dominobaby(f): 11:08am On Jun 17, 2006
There sure is life after death.

Ka, realy we al dnt need details as to how the lake of fire is gonna burn or if there's a possibility of gnashing of gums. It is stated in the bible so.

What we shd be concerned bout is how to make heaven in the end. Accept christ as ur lord n saviour, and ur name'll b written in the book of life. Rev. 20:11-15.

*More responses for ka pls*
Re: What If There Is No Afterlife? by supaguy(m): 12:24am On Jun 20, 2006
@ Ka,
if u have access to a Bible, read Revelation 20:10-15, 21: 8
Re: What If There Is No Afterlife? by Ka: 1:18am On Jun 20, 2006
Supaguy,

God bless you real good for answering an inquisitive mind.

Of the verses you referred me to, here are the relevant portions:

14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

Okaaaaaaay, so death can be thrown into this fire. I'm confused o! If the verse had said 'firewood' or 'petrol' I could have understood - but a fire that burns up death? Obviously not an ordinary fire. Perhaps it's not even a literal fire - after all, the Bible is known to use figures of speech. Maybe it refers simply to destruction. God knows.

And the fire even burns Hell itself! Na wa o, so this must be some kind of super-hell! How come nobody ever told me about this? All my life I've always believed there's just heaven and hell - and now I find this out!

15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

OK, so people will also be cast into this Super-Hell. But it doesn't say what will happen to them. Will they fry immediately? Or will there be gnashing of teeth and gums, Supaguy? Let's see if the last verse says anything,

8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

OK, so basically just expatiating on what was said in verse 15. Now I know that the lake has lots of brimstone (or sulphur). I didn't know that sulphur was able to burn up death, sha. But there's no mention of gnashing of teeth here. I guess I need to search further - - -

Bingo! 'Gnashing of teeth' found in Matthew 13:

49 So shall it be at the end of the world: the angels shall come forth, and sever the wicked from among the just,

50 And shall cast them into the furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

But is this the same Super-Hell that we saw before? What if it's the regular hell? Or perhaps it's even another hell that we don't know about - after all, it's described here as a 'furnace of fire' which after all is very different from a 'lake of fire'. Perhaps there's more to this 'Hell' business than than people are letting on. I guess I should ask God, but I'm sure I'll be told that everything I need to know is in one Holy Scripture or another. Should I ask the Devil? After all, he's supposed to be masterminding operations in Hell. I don't know- - - it's all verrry confusing.

PS I don't know what it is about Matthew, but he seems quite big on the whole 'wailing and gnashing of teeth' thing. Is this a Jewish cultural thing? Do any of you guys know people who regularly gnash their teeth when in suffering? Me, I prefer a good long scream.
Re: What If There Is No Afterlife? by macalurs(m): 6:03am On Sep 26, 2007
Everytime I read the bible, it makes lots of sense.
But every time I set it down, it becomes a bunch of bullshit. Does that not mean that the bible (and hell stories) appeal to a certain part of me that loves horror movies? So I am adviced in order for it not to sound like a load of bull- I should bury my face in it all day and all nite? Isn't that utter ignorance? But then what's on the other side of the bargain? Enjoyment? which one-- what type? freedom? from what-- to where?

My dad said God takes pleasure when people choose him, instead of him having to make them. There are more than a billion christians on the planet right now, God must be one jolly fellow; not to count the ones that give their lives to christ every sunday, and take it back for the week. Is the christian God that dumb? It seems he has nothing better to do-- what boredom he must exist in to revel in himself anytime someone gives their lives to him-- I thought he knew that from the beginning of the world, even before he created anything!?

If there is God, there is no choice. If he made you, then he made you do all the things you do. how? What makes you who you are is beyond your control-- you genes and your environment. You did not decide what genes to have, and where you'd be born. For this reason, God has no right (if he's not a kid) to judge a housa man, born muslim to forty prior generations of muslims, that thinks it's right to kill christians. That's how God made him.

Is there an afterlife? I don't think so. But even if there were, there'd be no heaven or hell. And if there's really heaven and hell, then God is not half as smart as Albert Einstein.
Re: What If There Is No Afterlife? by Dios(f): 12:45pm On Sep 26, 2007
Macalurs and Ka grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

The bible says, the bible says, the bib>>>>>, >>>>>>>>> The bible says a bunch of crap that dont make sense. It's a book of fantastic illogical stories written by the equivalent of hollywood screenwriters of the middle ages.
Re: What If There Is No Afterlife? by cgift(m): 4:53pm On Sep 26, 2007
Dios:

Macalurs and Ka grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

The bible says, the bible says, the bib>>>>>, >>>>>>>>> The bible says a bunch of crap that don't make sense. It's a book of fantastic illogical stories written by the equivalent of hollywood screenwriters of the middle ages.

Angry bulldogs on the prowl. The concept of God beats your imagination and you are confounded! Go back to Christ, his yoke is easy and his burden is light.
Re: What If There Is No Afterlife? by Dios(f): 10:15pm On Sep 26, 2007
cgift:

Angry bulldogs on the prowl. The concept of God beats your imagination and you are confounded! Go back to Christ, his yoke is easy and his burden is light.

The only thing I'm mad at is your blind faith.
Re: What If There Is No Afterlife? by macalurs(m): 11:31pm On Sep 26, 2007
cgift,

Imagination? Am I supposed to imagine anything? Do I have to use my imagination when trying to figure "God" out? If he's God, what's so hard about being real? The fact that I'm of a carnal (. . .critically annalytic) mind should make God easy for me to understand. Or am I stupid because I ask too many questions which you (unfortunately) have no real answer to, that you have to use your imagination ?
Re: What If There Is No Afterlife? by kooldamsel(f): 4:15pm On Sep 30, 2007
What kind of a question is that?Even your bibles tells you of an afterlife in hell or heaven.So dont you believe in the bible anymore by the way why do good and confess your sins if you would end up no where after you pass on.You are confused.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Russia Opens Vaults. Reveals Jesus And Israelites Were Black People. / Margret Idahosa Face Of Many Colours. / Should He Pay His Tithe To His Parents?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.