Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,741 members, 7,817,049 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:01 AM

Microsoft Offers To Buy Yahoo For $44.6 Billion - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Microsoft Offers To Buy Yahoo For $44.6 Billion (1056 Views)

Microsoft Offers Hefty-bounties To Hackers, Now Is The Time To Test Your Skill / Teenager Sells Mobile Startup To Yahoo for $30 Million / Google Pays Yahoo For Ads (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Microsoft Offers To Buy Yahoo For $44.6 Billion by Afam(m): 1:34pm On Feb 01, 2008
The online war abi na battle has just begun, what next?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++=====

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080201/bs_nm/microsoft_dc_2

Microsoft offers to buy Yahoo for $44.6 billion

33 minutes ago

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Technology giant Microsoft Corp (MSFT.O) said on Friday that it had offered to acquire Internet media company Yahoo Inc (YHOO.O) for $44.6 billion in cash and stock.
ADVERTISEMENT

Microsoft said it had offered to buy Yahoo for $31 per share, which it said represented a 62 percent premium above the company's closing stock price on Nasdaq on Thursday.

"We have great respect for Yahoo, and together we can offer an increasingly exciting set of solutions for consumers, publishers and advertisers while becoming better positioned to compete in the online services market," Microsoft Chief Executive Steve Ballmer said in a statement.

Yahoo was not immediately available for comment.

Microsoft said it had identified four areas that would generate at least $1 billion in annual synergies for the combined entity.

Yahoo shares rose 56 percent to $29.95 in premarket trading on Friday following the announcement. U.S. stock index futures also jumped after the news was released.

(Reporting by Franklin Paul; Editing by Lisa Von Ahn)
Re: Microsoft Offers To Buy Yahoo For $44.6 Billion by rufaai(m): 11:44pm On Feb 01, 2008
Yeah, I just saw that on BBC while ago. embarassed

Well, this is what we call an offer you can't say NO to! cry - Soon Jerry and David will become history, I know they will take this offer. undecided Even though their co-founded company will be better with Microsoft it could still be wrong for them to release it!

Well, they just go to think twice. lipsrsealed - Jerry felt this is a bargain, so I think they will accept the offer.
Re: Microsoft Offers To Buy Yahoo For $44.6 Billion by Iman3(m): 2:11am On Feb 02, 2008
This is a clear attempt by Microsoft to outmaneuver Google in the search engine sector.

Yahoo has been faltering of recent,shedding 1000 employees,it was inevitable they will be the subject of a take over bid.

Still need to see if the anti-trust agencies will approve of this deal. I wonder what happens to the Yahoo brand,I guess they will keep it.Someone tried matching up Microsoft/Yahoo features:http://www.istartedsomething.com/20080202/microsoft-yahoo-big-mess-comparison/
Re: Microsoft Offers To Buy Yahoo For $44.6 Billion by nduaj(m): 11:16am On Feb 04, 2008
i will miss yahoo . i ve been a "Yahooligan" for years sad

what will we now call yahozee? what will be the brand name for yahoo yahoo?

I love microsoft, i also love yahoo, but meeen i dont like this take over at all at all.

first it was facebook, then yahoo, what next?, mayb almighty Adobe

so get ready to hear Microsoft Dreamweaver, Microsoft Flash, Microsoft reader, Microsoft photoshop CS3.

Bill isnt gonna resttill he has it all !!!!!!!
Re: Microsoft Offers To Buy Yahoo For $44.6 Billion by ThePhantom(m): 1:12pm On Feb 07, 2008
@ nduaj 

Microsoft never bought or took over Facebook. They just invested in the company. Plus Bill Gates doesn't run Microsoft anymore
Re: Microsoft Offers To Buy Yahoo For $44.6 Billion by my2cents(m): 2:53pm On Feb 07, 2008
If you believe everything you read, MSFT might actually be increasiing its bid:
http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=206105005

From an article I read yesterday or so, I blv MSFT even went as far as saying it wdnt mind borrowing money to finance the deal.

So, question: What does MSFT see in YHOO that we don't?

(1) (Reply)

The Web Design Process | How Do You Design Your Client Websites ? / An Error Has Occurred! / Mark Zuckerberg’s Sister Is Now A Google Employee

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.