Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,659 members, 7,820,313 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:56 PM

Robbers Invade Canaanland - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Robbers Invade Canaanland (1121 Views)

Nigerian Pastor Bar Robbers, Prostitutes, Kidnappers From Giving Offerings,tithe / Masquerades Invade Church, Flog Pastors, Worshipers On August 31, 2015 At 5:36 / Oyedepo Curses Robbers Who Raided Canaanland (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Robbers Invade Canaanland by wetman(m): 1:22pm On Feb 02, 2008
Eight people, including two policemen, were killed in three violent incidents in Ogun and Lagos states on Thursday[/center.

The attacks began around mid-day when about 27 armed robbers violated the sanctity of Canaanland in Sango, Ogun State, by raiding four banks there.

Before the robbers left with huge amounts of money from the banks, two policemen lay dead. Two bank officials were seriously injured but one was said to have died around 5pm at the Covenant University Health Centre.

One banker was lucky during the attack. Bullet reportedly pierced through one of his shoes and came out at the other side.

Canaanland accomodates the Covenant University, Faith Academy, Kingdom Heritage Schools and the Living Faith Church, otherwise known as Winners Chapel, among others.

The banks involved in the raid are Oceanic Bank Plc, United Bank for Africa, Spring Bank Plc and Covenant Micro-Finance Bank.

Our correspondents gathered that the robbers divided themselves into four groups and struck at the same time at the four banks.

An eyewitness said the robbers, who drove into the Christian community in three vehicles, virtually emptied the banks‘ vaults.

The witness claimed that the bandits were provoked into killing the policemen and the bank official following resistance at the UBA branch.

Another witness said people who saw the men could not believe they were armed robbers because they dressed like gentlemen.

“I was actually about to enter one of the banks when I suddenly heard gunshots. I was too afraid to move, it was my brother-in-law who was with me that dragged me away from the scene,” she said.

When our correspondent visited the scene on Thursday afternoon, bullet holes were seen on the UBA‘s building.

Besides, the beret and shoes of one of the slain policemen were seen on the floor within the bank‘s premises. There were also bloodstains on the floor and walls.

But just as the news of the attack on Canaanland spread, policemen shot dead three people in Ijaiye- Ojokoro on the Lagos -Abeokuta Expressway.

The three men who were riding in a Mazda 323 car were said to have refused to yield to the demand for gratification by the law enforcement officers attached to the Ijaiye- Ojokoro Police Station.

A source said that the policemen pursued the vehicle and shot at the occupants when the car slowed down because of a bump at Car-Wash bus stop.

Angry residents of the area then took to the street and marched towards the police station, causing mayhem.

It was gathered that the residents chased out policemen from the station before setting it on fire.

However, the timely reinforcement of policemen from the Area ‘G’ Command, Ogba, saved the station from complete destruction.

When contacted, the Commissioner of Police, Ogun State Command, Mr. Joseph Apapa, said he was yet to receive details of the Canaanland incident.

Apapa said, ”You know Canaanland is a private estate. I am yet to be briefed on the incident. I just came back from Abuja. We don‘t have anything to hide, as soon as I get the facts if you call me back, I will give you everything. However, you can call the PPRO.”

But the Command’s Public Relations Officer, Mr. Femi Awoyale, who confirmed the incident, claimed that the bandits only struck at Oceanic Bank.

He said, ”You are aware that Canaanland is a private property. When the robbers came, our men were alerted and they fought them gallantly, although we lost two men.

Also, at the Trade Fair International Complex on the Lagos-Badagry Expressway, two people were feared killed in a clash between rival factions of the Auto-Spare Parts and Machinery Dealers Association.

Trouble was said to have started when a former president of ASPAMDA, identified as Chief Okeh, stormed the market with riot policemen in a bid to force out the incumbent president, simply identified as Adidax.

Our correspondents gathered that Okeh lost his bid for a second term in 2007 but headed for the court, claiming that the election was rigged.

It was learnt that he came back to the complex on Thursday with a court injunction showing that he had been declared winner.

A source said that fracas broke out when Okeh attempted to move into the ASPAMDA office. Two people were feared dead and many injured in the process.

The Acting PPRO, Lagos State Police Command, Mr. Olumide Jimoh, said policemen had taken charge of the Ijaye-Ojokoro and the Trade Fair incidents.

He claimed that the driver of the Mazda car at Ijaye was driving recklessly, thereby arousing police curiosity.

At about the same time, our correspondents learnt that another gang of armed robbers attacked a bank at Mushin, Lagos.

It was not clear as at press time, however, whether the robbers succeeded in getting to the bank’s vault.

But Jimoh said he was not aware of any bank robbery in Mushin.

In a related development, one policeman was feared killed at Aguda, Surulere, Lagos area of Lagos State on Wednesday night when a gang of bandits allegedly ambushed a police van.

The van, marked NPF 9542 B, was sighted at the premises of the Aguda Police Station on Thursday, riddled with bullets.

http://odili.net/news/source/2008/feb/1/423.html

(1) (Reply)

The Problem With Atheists / God Has Great Plans For You / Mr Shari'a-(Senator Yerima) Marries a 13 Year Old Egyptian. These Muslims Self

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.