Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,625 members, 7,816,574 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:21 PM

Silly Questions Clients Ask Their Web Host - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Silly Questions Clients Ask Their Web Host (1053 Views)

Trudigits: My Best Nigerian Web Host Ever / My Web Host Is Holding My Domain Name Hostage / Interswitch Payment Option Now Available For Our Nigerian Clients (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Silly Questions Clients Ask Their Web Host by abhosts(m): 3:37pm On Feb 02, 2008
1. I want to register a domain (without Hosting, because it’s cheaper). Can I publicize all my goods and services on it?

2. I don’t want to register another domain; can I modify my existing domain name (After months of Registration)?

3. Do I have to pay for the registration of addon domains? You stated on your site that you provide unlimited addon domains.

4. Is your server capable of sending mass emails (Most likely a spammer)?

5. I have uploaded my files (to the wrong directory), how come your server is not displaying it?

6. Since your 50 MB hosting plan is N4000, can I pay N500 for 5 MB?

7. I uploaded my asp web pages (on a Linux machine), but they are not showing.

8. Why is my website taking so long to load (when graphics on the home page are over 2 MB in size)?

9. The layout of my website is disorganized, fix it.

10. Please email me details of your web hosting service (Already stated boldly on the Website).

11. You deleted my account (for spamming)! Can I have my money back?
Re: Silly Questions Clients Ask Their Web Host by my2cents(m): 5:29pm On Feb 02, 2008
LOL abhosts,

#6 and #9 to me are the funniest. However, I wouldn't regard some of them as silly - you have to assume you are dealing with the lowest common denominator. Tell me if this would qualify as silly in your books:

Abhosts has a car and takes it to the mechanic. Mechanic tells abhosts to bleed the brakes. Abhosts comes back and says, "oga, I couldn't find any veins to bleed." Would it be right for the mechanic to say that you said something silly? Your call.

I always say everyone is smart but in their own regard. What is silly to you might be a very serious question for someone else tongue
Re: Silly Questions Clients Ask Their Web Host by niyyie(m): 2:57pm On Mar 16, 2008
my2cents:

. . .
What is silly to you might be a very serious question for someone else tongue
. . .

What is silly to you might will be a very serious question for someone else and vice versa wink
Re: Silly Questions Clients Ask Their Web Host by Cactus(m): 5:07am On Mar 17, 2008
You think it is silly because your assumption is that everyone is familiar with the concept of domain registration and hosting. There are some people working in Information Technology and they dont know what is involved in bringing a website to live.

Apparently, you do not know how to take care of your clients. If you laugh at them for being stupid, well I dont know what to say. First rule always assume your clients dont know anything about web dev. It is your responsibility to try as much as possible to cover all the details and make sure everyone understands what is going on.
Re: Silly Questions Clients Ask Their Web Host by kazey(m): 3:56pm On Mar 17, 2008
Cactus:

First rule always assume your clients don't know anything about web dev.

A web hosting service provider should assume his clients don't know anything about website development? The same client should be assumed to be aware of his/her need of the web hosting companies services? Misconception, my friend.

Its alright for customers to ask questions related to the services been rendered, or problems with the services been rendered, or anything relative. But it shouldn't be expected of the service provider to educate the customers on website development.

Some questions that you would never ask your mobile phone provider.

1. I have deleted my sms, how do I undelete them.

2. I have bought a sim card, how do I use it without a phone.

3. I would like to know if I can use just my sim card to receive calls without buying a phone, because a phone is expensive.

4. I want to know, how to use my phone, because the manual is too complicated for me to understand or I don't have time to read the manual.

My point is simply, they are service providers, and their support is isolated to the services they provide, and the same applies to web hosting companies. They should provide support to their services and nothing more. Web development, Script debugging etc, should be treated differently.

(1) (Reply)

New Forum: www.campusnigeria.com / Conversa - You Design - We Code To Xhtml/css! / Help With This!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.