Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,227 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:01 AM

Apple Ordered To Pay Samsung’s Legal Bills After A Misleading Apology. - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Apple Ordered To Pay Samsung’s Legal Bills After A Misleading Apology. (4981 Views)

9 Potentially Misleading Smartphone Features Nigerians Fall For / MTN Ordered To Collapse Rates For On-net And Off-net Voice Services / Telecom Providers Ordered To Shut Down Blackberry Messenger (bbm)? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Apple Ordered To Pay Samsung’s Legal Bills After A Misleading Apology. by fatdon1(m): 12:47pm On Nov 12, 2012
A UK court has ordered Tablet and Smartphone maker; Apple Inc. to pay the legal costs of fellow Smartphone and Tablet maker Samsung after it found out that a court-ordered apology on Apple’s UK website was ‘false and misleading’.

Previously, it was proven in the court case that Samsung did not infringe on Apple’s iPad tablet design and Apple was ordered by the court to publish an apology on its UK homepage and in newspapers stating that Samsung had not copied its products, but the Court of Appeal of England and Wales has decreed the apology was ‘calculated to produce confusion’.

Specifically, the passage the UK court took exception to is where, after explaining the court’s previous ruling, Apple outlined cases from other countries where Samsung had been found to infringe the iPad design:

‘However, in a case tried in Germany regarding the same patent, the court found that Samsung engaged in unfair competition by copying the iPad design.

‘A U.S. jury also found Samsung guilty of infringing on Apple’s design and utility patents, awarding over one billion U.S. dollars in damages to Apple Inc.’

‘So while the U.K. court did not find Samsung guilty of infringement, other courts have recognized that in the course of creating its Galaxy tablet, Samsung wilfully copied Apple’s far more popular iPad.’

Apple has issued another re-phrased apology, but apparently the court wasn’t impressed and has ordered Apple to pay all of Samsung’s legal fees for the case as reparations for any financial loss the Korean manufacturer might have taken from the allegedly ‘misleading’ original apology.

The court’s report also points to Apple’s slow speed in publishing newspaper apologies as a cause for it paying the fees. The report describes Apple’s compliance with the newspaper advertisement order as ‘lackadaisical at best’, noting that the order was given on October 18 and Apple arranged to have apologies appear in newspapers from November 16.

However, the report also said that Apple’s publication of a misleading apology on its webpage was ‘much more serious’.

www.channelstv.com/home/2012/11/12/court-orders-apple-to-pick-samsungs-legal-bills-after-a-misleading-apology/

Re: Apple Ordered To Pay Samsung’s Legal Bills After A Misleading Apology. by Nobody: 2:12pm On Nov 12, 2012
apple and it's ego
Re: Apple Ordered To Pay Samsung’s Legal Bills After A Misleading Apology. by Kslib(m): 2:17pm On Nov 12, 2012
Good for them.. Their over feeding don too much.. Haba.. Sue dis one for battery right,sue dat one for design right,sue did foe dat... Inshort,i wan sue for apple for name right.. Who give them the right to call their company "APPLE".. I think we already get fruit wey dey bear the name apple... I for sue them for design right,if to say person no chop small comot for their own apple design.. Abeg,any courageous and fearless lawyer should contact me.. Asap

5 Likes

Re: Apple Ordered To Pay Samsung’s Legal Bills After A Misleading Apology. by ositadima1(m): 2:19pm On Nov 12, 2012
dats good,
Re: Apple Ordered To Pay Samsung’s Legal Bills After A Misleading Apology. by Nobody: 2:20pm On Nov 12, 2012
apple and samsung wahala undecided undecided undecided
Re: Apple Ordered To Pay Samsung’s Legal Bills After A Misleading Apology. by sigba(f): 2:25pm On Nov 12, 2012
Kslib: Good for them.. Their over feeding don too much.. Haba.. Sue dis one for battery right,sue dat one for design right,sue did foe dat... Inshort,i wan sue for apple for name right.. Who give them the right to call their company "APPLE".. I think we already get fruit wey dey bear the name apple... I for sue them for design right,if to say person no chop small comot for their own apple design.. Abeg,any courageous and fearless lawyer should contact me.. Asap
Lol.

@Topic
What do they mean by misleading appologies please.
Re: Apple Ordered To Pay Samsung’s Legal Bills After A Misleading Apology. by NEROSKY(m): 2:28pm On Nov 12, 2012
i don confuse 4 diz whole thin, wen apple n samsung go stop 2dey make home page naw?
Re: Apple Ordered To Pay Samsung’s Legal Bills After A Misleading Apology. by Dopefiend(m): 2:47pm On Nov 12, 2012
D payee becomes d payer. Apple ntoi!!! tongue
Re: Apple Ordered To Pay Samsung’s Legal Bills After A Misleading Apology. by anitank(f): 2:54pm On Nov 12, 2012
When Elephants fight, it is the grass that suffers. I guess this all explains why the price of Samsung Galaxy Note isn't coming down...
I'll wait anyway angry
Re: Apple Ordered To Pay Samsung’s Legal Bills After A Misleading Apology. by markus1133: 2:56pm On Nov 12, 2012
Android the best
Re: Apple Ordered To Pay Samsung’s Legal Bills After A Misleading Apology. by OkwaIfugo(m): 2:56pm On Nov 12, 2012
na wa oooooo...
Re: Apple Ordered To Pay Samsung’s Legal Bills After A Misleading Apology. by anitank(f): 3:04pm On Nov 12, 2012
Dopefiend: D payee becomes d payer. Apple ntoi!!! tongue
Lol no mind them. I'm yet to understand Apple's beef with Samsung. I mean there are many tablets in the market now that look just like.....a TABLET. And if that is so, then it can't be just Samsung "copying" them.
They're just too scared to admit that Samsung is leading in the world of smartphones and tablets
Re: Apple Ordered To Pay Samsung’s Legal Bills After A Misleading Apology. by Nobody: 3:05pm On Nov 12, 2012
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

gud. It will instil and encourage sanity within the patent system of UK.
Re: Apple Ordered To Pay Samsung’s Legal Bills After A Misleading Apology. by joanana(f): 3:06pm On Nov 12, 2012
anitank: When Elephants fight, it is the grass that suffers. I guess this all explains why the price of Samsung Galaxy Note isn't coming down...
I'll wait anyway angry

Kpele... join the queue embarassed its really annoying angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Apple Ordered To Pay Samsung’s Legal Bills After A Misleading Apology. by dilbert100: 3:14pm On Nov 12, 2012
serves them right !!
Re: Apple Ordered To Pay Samsung’s Legal Bills After A Misleading Apology. by ubong560(m): 3:50pm On Nov 12, 2012
Can we put a capital "FULL STOP" on dis samsung/apples etc stuff on dis forum? Enough is enough! I mean am damn "fvuckenly" tired of dis whole thwart. Shit them!
Re: Apple Ordered To Pay Samsung’s Legal Bills After A Misleading Apology. by Double194(m): 4:01pm On Nov 12, 2012
This is crude injustice, other countries found Samsung guilty of infridging Apple copyright designs only U.K acquitted Samsung. I am a personal witness the first day I saw Samsung Galaxy S11, I thought it was a Chinkko Ipad. Same Everytin. FOLLOW FOLLOW, COPY COPY
Re: Apple Ordered To Pay Samsung’s Legal Bills After A Misleading Apology. by Dopefiend(m): 4:06pm On Nov 12, 2012
anitank:
Lol no mind them. I'm yet to understand Apple's beef with Samsung. I mean there are many tablets in the market now that look just like.....a TABLET. And if that is so, then it can't be just Samsung "copying" them.
They're just too scared to admit that Samsung is leading in the world of smartphones and tablets

And itz dat fear dats making dem sue samsung anyhw.very soon, dey'll sue samsung for being samsung grin grin grin meanwhile bushmeat don catch d hunter cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Apple Ordered To Pay Samsung’s Legal Bills After A Misleading Apology. by ciphoenix: 4:54pm On Nov 12, 2012
Double194: This is crude injustice, other countries found Samsung guilty of infridging Apple copyright designs only U.K acquitted Samsung. I am a personal witness the first day I saw Samsung Galaxy S11, I thought it was a Chinkko Ipad. Same Everytin. FOLLOW FOLLOW, COPY COPY
your visual acuity must be questionable. An S2 and an iPad? #smh

3 Likes

Re: Apple Ordered To Pay Samsung’s Legal Bills After A Misleading Apology. by OrangeHokage(m): 5:02pm On Nov 12, 2012
Double194: This is crude injustice, other countries found Samsung guilty of infridging Apple copyright designs only U.K acquitted Samsung. I am a personal witness the first day I saw Samsung Galaxy S11, I thought it was a Chinkko Ipad. Same Everytin. FOLLOW FOLLOW, COPY COPY
your visual capability is really amazing in wat way does an S11 look like an Ipad.....smh.....i can vouch you have never seen either an ipad or a S11

2 Likes

Re: Apple Ordered To Pay Samsung’s Legal Bills After A Misleading Apology. by maninmood(m): 5:18pm On Nov 12, 2012
joeydozzy: apple and it's ego

its
Re: Apple Ordered To Pay Samsung’s Legal Bills After A Misleading Apology. by Nobody: 5:36pm On Nov 12, 2012
The Iphone has Come and Gone.....No longer Stylish
Re: Apple Ordered To Pay Samsung’s Legal Bills After A Misleading Apology. by sulakishop(m): 6:01pm On Nov 12, 2012
Shame on apple, ntooooooooooor!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Apple Ordered To Pay Samsung’s Legal Bills After A Misleading Apology. by emekaD3(m): 6:25pm On Nov 12, 2012
I DON TIRE FOR THIS THEIR COURT THING, THE TWO C.E.O'S SHOULD FIGHT IT OUT...lol. in a ring #WWESpecial

1 Like

Re: Apple Ordered To Pay Samsung’s Legal Bills After A Misleading Apology. by fortyfeet(m): 6:35pm On Nov 12, 2012
I am a SAMSUNG fan. So, I say Go Samsung.
Re: Apple Ordered To Pay Samsung’s Legal Bills After A Misleading Apology. by DukeNija(m): 7:05pm On Nov 12, 2012
Fantastic News.
I visited Apple Uk website to see the apology and almost puked at the Level of Pride and Conceit I saw.

Apple needs to take things easy or else they'll lose more than just Ego.

Reminds me of Coldplays song Lost
"You might be a big Fish in a little pond, it doesn't mean You've won cos along may come a Bigger one"
Lol.
Re: Apple Ordered To Pay Samsung’s Legal Bills After A Misleading Apology. by betrani(m): 9:20pm On Nov 12, 2012
OrangeHokage: your visual capability is really amazing in wat way does an S11 look like an Ipad.....smh.....i can vouch you have never seen either an ipad or a S11
Correct Man! The dude hasn't seen Galaxy S2 before! The only way it looks like an Iphone is in its flatness! Questions is; is it only Apples right to produce flat phones? I gues Sony-ericsson was there before them! Their problem is that they are fast loosin the market to Samsung and they aren't luvin it! See me these Americans o! Instead of findin a way out of china's "soon to take over" threat, they are battling with samsung! I tire for this their fear o!
Re: Apple Ordered To Pay Samsung’s Legal Bills After A Misleading Apology. by seunfly: 9:20pm On Nov 12, 2012
Apple is playing a victim game, cos they are the one that copied sonyericson, palm, ricell and many other product without any chellenge infact their ipad is direct copy of nec and toshiba product all they do is rebrand and add many copied stuff yet nobody complain also i think they just used that to gain more popularity.
Re: Apple Ordered To Pay Samsung’s Legal Bills After A Misleading Apology. by Nobody: 9:23pm On Nov 12, 2012
anitank: When Elephants fight, it is the grass that suffers. I guess this all explains why the price of Samsung Galaxy Note isn't coming down...
I'll wait anyway angry

i no be fellow grass oo. Am an elephant, so when i fight, you grasses suffer.
Re: Apple Ordered To Pay Samsung’s Legal Bills After A Misleading Apology. by Nobody: 9:27pm On Nov 12, 2012

Shattap!!! why are you spitting everywhere Do you think only one manufacturer should enjoy total market monopoly. You are still the one who will complain that the price of Apple products is out of reach.
Re: Apple Ordered To Pay Samsung’s Legal Bills After A Misleading Apology. by Nobody: 9:29pm On Nov 12, 2012
ciphoenix: your visual acuity must be questionable. An S2 and an iPad? #smh

He just wants to join the forum. He is a copy copy nairalander.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Identify Fake & Original USB Cables / Boom Player Passes 1M+ Installs, 400k+ Daily Active Users / MTN Recharge PIN Now 16 Digits?! (pix)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.