Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,582 members, 7,812,903 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:49 PM

Do We Eat Donkey Meat In Nigeria? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Do We Eat Donkey Meat In Nigeria? (4341 Views)

Five Confirmed Dead After Eating Dog Meat In Rivers / How To Eat Meat In Public? / The Dangers Of Food Sweeteners We Eat Everyday! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do We Eat Donkey Meat In Nigeria? by DayTrader: 10:43pm On Nov 12, 2012
I just read this article on the bbc about some Alhaji that runs a Donkey market and the meat is sold for consumption

"A top trader at Nigeria's biggest donkey market has been abducted by gunmen, a police spokesman says.

Al-Haji Salisu Yunusa's abduction led to the brief closure of the 80-year-old market in the south-eastern town of Ezamgbo, a BBC reporter in Nigeria says.

His kidnappers are believed to be demanding a ransom, our reporter says.

Some 200 donkeys are said to be slaughtered at the market's abattoirs every day for human consumption.

Police spokesman Sylvester Igbo said efforts were being made to secure Mr Yunusa's release.
'Thriving market'

The BBC's Abdussalam Ibrahim Ahmed in south-eastern Nigeria's Enugu city says he understands that the abductors are demanding 300m naira ($1.9m; £1.2m) in ransom.
Map

However, there is also speculation that Mr Yunusa, whose origins lie in northern Nigeria, may have been targeted in revenge for the killing of southerners in the north.

Gunmen seized Mr Yunusa - one of the leaders of the market - as he was driving to his home on Friday evening in Ezamgbo in Ebonyi state.

The market was shut on Monday morning as traders protested against his abduction, our reporter says.

It reopened later, as traders feared that its closure could cause tension and complicate efforts to secure Mr Yunusa's release.

Buying and selling donkeys and donkey meat has been a thriving business at the market since it opened 80 years ago.

About 20 trailer-loads of donkeys are dropped off at the market daily.

The market is run by northerners who sell donkey meat to people in the south-east who eat it.

Customers from other south-eastern states also travel to the market to buy donkeys and their meat, our reporter says"

source http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-20301360

My question is... Is donkey meat eaten down south? because even though I have lived there for sometime I never heard of it
Re: Do We Eat Donkey Meat In Nigeria? by tpia1: 1:53am On Nov 13, 2012
Must be a recent thing.

Never heard of such outside nl.
Re: Do We Eat Donkey Meat In Nigeria? by bokohalal(m): 3:02am On Nov 13, 2012
Thicko. Ha.
Re: Do We Eat Donkey Meat In Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:30am On Nov 13, 2012
Do people eat snakes?
Do people eat dogs aka 404

I think donkey meat is sold and eaten as the report says..

The popular name is JAKI MEAT..anu jaki.
Re: Do We Eat Donkey Meat In Nigeria? by DayTrader: 12:07pm On Nov 13, 2012
Yeah, I have heard of dogs and snakes (tried snake before), but I never heard of donkey, Jaki meat you call it....interesting
Re: Do We Eat Donkey Meat In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:34pm On Nov 13, 2012
undecided
Re: Do We Eat Donkey Meat In Nigeria? by Aitty(f): 2:22pm On Aug 21, 2013
Donkey meat is a general meat consumed in Ebonyi State not only in Ezzamgbo. I did my Youth Service there in year 2006. You can only get beef to buy in the capital which is Abakaliki.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Help: Give Me Your Fried Rice Recipe / Home Made Chocolate Ganache / Irish Potato Supply

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.