Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,895 members, 7,817,635 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:59 PM

The Nigerian Church Is Losing Its Purpose - By Ayobami Oyalowo (A Must Read!!!!) - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Nigerian Church Is Losing Its Purpose - By Ayobami Oyalowo (A Must Read!!!!) (11486 Views)

Hilarious Nigerian Church Posters (Pictures) / Rccg Open Heavens Devotion Tuesday 16th July, 2013 Fulfilling His Purpose By Pas / The Nigerian Church Is Losing It's Purpose By Ayobami Oyalowo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Nigerian Church Is Losing Its Purpose - By Ayobami Oyalowo (A Must Read!!!!) by cupid4ig(m): 3:52pm On Nov 15, 2012
chioma134: I have noticed a recurring trend in nairaland.
Posts attacking the church of God make front page.
Posts promoting Islam and atheism make front page.
Posts promoting the Church of God do not make front page.
Posts attacking men of God especially of the pentecostal extraction,make front page.
What is Nairaland's agenda? I can only deduce that there is something in the church of Jesus Christ that ticks the owners off.
Perhaps,it is the presence of the Spirit of God,whom the world does not know,and can never understand.
And for the foolish christians that go about bashing their constituency and exposing their family matters to the public,I pity you.
Know that Satan is fighting the true church,and is using you to do that.
And now say whatever you like and insult me,I don't care.
shutup ur papa na pastor abi mtheeeew undecided
Re: The Nigerian Church Is Losing Its Purpose - By Ayobami Oyalowo (A Must Read!!!!) by Nobody: 4:01pm On Nov 15, 2012
Posts attacking men of God especially of the pentecostal extraction,make front page.
What is Nairaland's agenda? I can only deduce that there is something in the church of Jesus Christ that ticks the owners off.
Perhaps,it is the presence of the Spirit of God,whom the world does not know,and can never understand.
And for the foolish christians that go about bashing their constituency and exposing their family matters to the public,I pity you.

Are you saying the pastors should continue to feed and grow fat while the congregation starves and grows lean?
The church is on its last legs and it can not continue like this forever. There will either be a drastic change in the church ethics or it will die a natural derath if threse greedy men of God continue in their gluttony.

2 Likes

Re: The Nigerian Church Is Losing Its Purpose - By Ayobami Oyalowo (A Must Read!!!!) by SisiKill1: 4:01pm On Nov 15, 2012
Richvkunt: Nice thread OP.
I opened a thread on this section to discuss the proliferation of churches in the land and yet there is so much corruption and evil in the land. A fanatic came on that thread to call me an idle fellow for being able to notice the number of religious houses on a street. The pitiable fact is that the church in Nigeria has completely lost the plot,as the so called pastors and daddy GOs are as much a part of the corruption and wickedness as the politicians.
Was in a church recently and the evil pastor was fleecing the poor congregation as usual-the congregation was being coerced to each buy a bundle of native broom that sells for fifty Naira in the open market for two thousand Naira. The purpose of buying the broom was to sweep all forms of sorrow and misery and sin out of the congrregations households. You needed to see the scramble as poor members of the congregation bought these brooms and indirectly contributed to pastorpreneurs next four wheel drive.
The pastors are as much a part of Nigerias problem as the politicians!

Okay I know you don't joke around so this must be true but I still gotta ask. . . Are you serious??!!!!!

What in the world is this? How do these people live with themselves?!! How for goodness sake?!!

I am so tempted to swear on some people's head right now!! angry angry

Don't you have a Papa book of the month to read, some message CD to listen to or something? undecided

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Church Is Losing Its Purpose - By Ayobami Oyalowo (A Must Read!!!!) by Nobody: 4:02pm On Nov 15, 2012
Dual post oppps!
Re: The Nigerian Church Is Losing Its Purpose - By Ayobami Oyalowo (A Must Read!!!!) by SisiKill1: 4:03pm On Nov 15, 2012
chief batiatus: Please we christians should put a stop to this public discussion of our faith, have you people ever seen any muslim discussing whatever they are doing wrongly here on nairaland? No wonder christians get bombed and killed, we want to show we are liberal and civilised among primitive people abi? Please moderator off this thread otherwise some christians will take it personal like their brothers use to do.
Re: The Nigerian Church Is Losing Its Purpose - By Ayobami Oyalowo (A Must Read!!!!) by hahkma: 4:09pm On Nov 15, 2012
World English Bible mark 10:25

It is easier for a camel to go through a
needle's eye than for a rich man to enter
into the Kingdom of God."
I know a guilty will quickly render a different interpretation to that verse.
Jesus in his life time always spoke against the scribes, pharisees and saducees who are the leaders in Gods temples, owners of churches and so on. but today we are constantly threatened not to speak even truths about our religious leaders. months ago PST Tunde bakere Said gen buhari has integrity more than our so called christian leaders and some ignorant followers almost killed him but what are we seeing today.
the end is here and we better get ready before we are caught unaware.

prophet Ezekiel puts it this KJV:
Ezekiel 16:49-50
New King James Version (NKJV)
49 Look, this was the iniquity of your
sister Sodom: She and her daughter had
pride, fullness of food, and abundance of
idleness; neither did she strengthen the
hand of the poor and needy. 50 And they
were haughty and committed
abomination before Me; therefore I took
them away as I saw fit.

may God help us to see clearly.
Re: The Nigerian Church Is Losing Its Purpose - By Ayobami Oyalowo (A Must Read!!!!) by Okijajuju1(m): 4:15pm On Nov 15, 2012

[b]Satan!! Satan dont even know who the fhuck you are... Why would you even lie against the Devil like that?! angry How did you know the Devil is fighting the church?! The church is destroying itself not the devil. All your pastors are interested in these days are opening Universities, building SUPER-MEGA churches, buying fancy cars, Politics, buying Jets and appearing on Television..

You think Nairalanders are scared like you?! A Pastor bought a private jet and passed it off as a gift from his church brethren and you expect people to keep quiet?! A pastors wife drives around in a stretch Limosine and you want us to keep quiet?!

99% of pentecostal preachers are criminals.. I know it, Nigerians know it, gullible & brainwashed followers of these pastors deny it but the truth is what it is..

You expect us to hide the misgivings of these so-called men of god?! NEVER!!

The owner of Nairaland I am certain has nothing against Jesus or Mohammed, but when something is NEWS worthy, it makes the frontpage. Oritsejafors Jet was news worthy, so it made the frontpage.

Anyways my dear, no need for long talk, if you dont like the trend on Nairaland, feel free to delete yourelf and never return..

Judgement will start from the house of God..[/b]

4 Likes

Re: The Nigerian Church Is Losing Its Purpose - By Ayobami Oyalowo (A Must Read!!!!) by ATMC(f): 4:18pm On Nov 15, 2012
Le Stylo: In thee bible, John 12:3-7

3 Then Mary took about a pint[a] of pure nard, an expensive perfume; she poured it on Jesus’ feet and wiped his feet with her hair. And the house was filled with the fragrance of the perfume.
4 But one of his disciples, Judas Iscariot, who was later to betray him, objected, 5 “Why wasn’t this perfume sold and the money given to the poor? It was worth a year’s wages.” 6 He did not say this because he cared about the poor but because he was a thief; as keeper of the money bag, he used to help himself to what was put into it.
7 “Leave her alone,” Jesus replied. “It was intended that she should save this perfume for the day of my burial. 8 You will always have the poor among you,[c] but you will not always have me.”

[b]Replacing Mary with "the congregation", Jesus with "Oristejafor", Judas Iscariot with "Nigerians", nard and perfume with "Jet", we have:

3 Then the Congregation took jet, an expensive jet; they gave it to Oritsejafor. And the house was filled with the delight of the jet.
4 But some of Nigerians, who was later to betray him, objected, 5 “Why wasn’t this jet sold and the money given to the poor? It was worth a year’s wages.[b]” 6 He did not say this because he cared about the poor but because he was a thief; as keeper of the money bag, he used to help himself to what was put into it.
7 “Leave them alone,” Oritsejafor replied. “It was intended that they should save this jet for the day of my burial. 8 You will always have the poor among you,[c] but you will not always have me.”

What has the man of God done wrong? OP, dig?
i'm very surprised at you! Look, y not insert your name there lets see how it feels.
Re: The Nigerian Church Is Losing Its Purpose - By Ayobami Oyalowo (A Must Read!!!!) by Nobody: 4:19pm On Nov 15, 2012
[quote author=Sisi_Kill]

Okay I know you don't joke around so this must be true but I still gotta ask. . . Are you serious??!!!!!

What in the world is this? How do these people live with themselves?!! How for goodness sake?!!

I am so tempted to swear on some people's head right now!! angry angry

Sisi darl,
You know I love it when you buy my point of view.
On a more serious note-THE MOG WAS SELLING BROOMS TO HIS CONGREGATION,TO SWEEP EVIL AND POVERTY AND MISERY AND SICKNESS AND MISFORTUNE AND WITCHCRAFT OUT OF THEIR LIVES!
Actually it was quite funny to me,even though I pitied the congregation indirectly buying a new jeep for the pastorpreneur.
Re: The Nigerian Church Is Losing Its Purpose - By Ayobami Oyalowo (A Must Read!!!!) by chiteny(m): 4:19pm On Nov 15, 2012

3 Then Mary took about a pint[a] of pure nard, an expensive perfume; she poured it on Jesus’ feet and wiped his feet with her hair. And the house was filled with the fragrance of the perfume.
4 But one of his disciples, Judas Iscariot, who was later to betray him, objected, 5 “Why wasn’t this perfume sold and the money given to the poor? It was worth a year’s wages.” 6 He did not say this because he cared about the poor but because he was a thief; as keeper of the money bag, he used to help himself to what was put into it.
7 “Leave her alone,” Jesus replied. “It was intended that she should save this perfume for the day of my burial. 8 You will always have the poor among you,[c] but you will not always have me.”

[b]Replacing Mary with "the congregation", Jesus with "Oristejafor", Judas Iscariot with "Nigerians", nard and perfume with "Jet", we have:

3 Then the Congregation took jet, an expensive jet; they gave it to Oritsejafor. And the house was filled with the delight of the jet.
4 But some of Nigerians, who was later to betray him, objected, 5 “Why wasn’t this jet sold and the money given to the poor? It was worth a year’s wages.” 6 He did not say this because he cared about the poor but because he was a thief; as keeper of the money bag, he used to help himself to what was put into it.
7 “Leave them alone,” Oritsejafor replied. “[b]It was intended that they should save this jet for the day of my burial.
8 You will always have the poor among you,[c] but you will not always have me.”

Does it mean his death is at hand? undecided
Re: The Nigerian Church Is Losing Its Purpose - By Ayobami Oyalowo (A Must Read!!!!) by salt1: 4:19pm On Nov 15, 2012
[quote author=alextayo]This corruption now permeates all the churches in Nigeria...orthodox and pentecostal. Christians are being deceived everyday by inglorious men who calls themselves men of God.

I wish, for courtesy's sake, that you don't generalize. It isn't every church that is corrupt or money conscious. There are still some, a few, that teach and preach and practice holiness and godly living. If you search for them, you will find them.

But the congregation prefers those who will feed them with fables and get-rich-quick devices. Those who will cast out demons from them instead of telling them to forsake their sins; those who will tell them that they will be billionnaires tomorrow morning rather than those who will ask them to seek for God's kingdom and His righteousness. They are birds of the same feather and deserve the preachers they have

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Church Is Losing Its Purpose - By Ayobami Oyalowo (A Must Read!!!!) by Okijajuju1(m): 4:20pm On Nov 15, 2012
chiteny:

Does it mean his death is at hand? undecided

I hope so... angry
Re: The Nigerian Church Is Losing Its Purpose - By Ayobami Oyalowo (A Must Read!!!!) by PastorKun(m): 4:28pm On Nov 15, 2012

4 But some of Nigerians, who was later to betray him, objected, 5 “Why wasn’t this jet sold and the money given to the poor? It was worth a year’s wages.[b]” 6 He did not say this because he cared about the poor but because he was a thief; as keeper of the money bag, he used to help himself to what was put into it.
7 “Leave them alone,” Oritsejafor replied. “It was intended that they should save this jet for the day of my burial. 8 You will always have the poor among you,[c] but you will not always have me.”

So you are now comparing Jesus with a complete charlatan like Oritsejafor angry shows the extent of your delusion. 'The poor would always be with you' stated in that scripture meant we would always have the opportunity to minister to the physical needs of the poor unlike Jesus who had a very short time to stay on earth at that time. The act was carried out in preparation for christ's crucifixion.

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Church Is Losing Its Purpose - By Ayobami Oyalowo (A Must Read!!!!) by ATMC(f): 4:35pm On Nov 15, 2012
@pastorkun, u know what i think, its either this guy is one of d bunches or he's a new convert who is yet to understand d happenings in church...shaking my head at him
Re: The Nigerian Church Is Losing Its Purpose - By Ayobami Oyalowo (A Must Read!!!!) by PastorKun(m): 4:38pm On Nov 15, 2012
ATMC: @pastorkun, u know what i think, its either this guy is one of d bunches or he's a new convert who is yet to understand d happenings in church...shaking my head at him

And he was actually feeling very smart with himself based on the hubris he para phrased angry
Re: The Nigerian Church Is Losing Its Purpose - By Ayobami Oyalowo (A Must Read!!!!) by Nobody: 4:57pm On Nov 15, 2012
^
Back in the day a jehri curl spotting Reverend Oritsejafor visited us at Unilag and was selling white handkerchiefs for 100 Naira. At that time these handkerchiefs were selling for 10 Naira a piece.
We were meant to use these handkies to wipe our faces for retentive memories.
This was back in the eighties-that man has always been a charlatan.
Congrats to him on his new jet. I see he is still on top of his hustle.

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Church Is Losing Its Purpose - By Ayobami Oyalowo (A Must Read!!!!) by greaterlove(m): 4:57pm On Nov 15, 2012
Pastor Kun:

So you are now comparing Jesus with a complete charlatan like Oritsejafor angry shows the extent of your delusion. 'The poor would always be with you' stated in that scripture meant we would always have the opportunity to minister to the physical needs of the poor unlike Jesus who had a very short time to stay on earth at that time. The act was carried out in preparation for christ's crucifixion.
thanks man. i couldn't have given him a better answer.
Re: The Nigerian Church Is Losing Its Purpose - By Ayobami Oyalowo (A Must Read!!!!) by Wadeoye(m): 5:00pm On Nov 15, 2012

Show me two true churches and men of God in Lagos for example... Who hates christians? Nobody of course just that you are making the whole practice look ungodly - like paganism. How much moral values are followers getting from going to churches in Nigeria? Of course none - it is all about prosperity, etc.

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Church Is Losing Its Purpose - By Ayobami Oyalowo (A Must Read!!!!) by LeStylo: 5:13pm On Nov 15, 2012
Pastor Kun:

That was actually a bible quote rendered by Prof Pat Utomi in defence of Pastor Oritsejafor. Yes, the renowned professor!
Re: The Nigerian Church Is Losing Its Purpose - By Ayobami Oyalowo (A Must Read!!!!) by mbulela: 5:24pm On Nov 15, 2012
Niflheim: @Sisi_kill,you are so on point with your story!!!I remember when one of Paul Adefarasin's former assistant pastors wanted to travel to London.He was saving up some cash,he wanted to give Pastor Adefarasin 2 pieces of information that day.So he gave Pastor Adefarasin the 1st info about his saving for a ticket. Adefarasin's reply was, "How can a pastor save money for a ticket!!!What is the congregation for?You are supposed to use their money not yours,no wonder your wife is barren,I am sure it is because god knows how irresponsible you are with money so he doesn't want to bless her yet with a child!!!"...........................meanwhile,the 2nd piece of info that he had wanted to give Adefarasin was that his wife was pregnant.It was this incident that made him finally leave the church!!!
As pessimistic as i am when it comes with the Nigerian church, i struggle to believe this story. It can't be that bad.
Re: The Nigerian Church Is Losing Its Purpose - By Ayobami Oyalowo (A Must Read!!!!) by k9ine(m): 5:29pm On Nov 15, 2012
@muskeeto
I can see you have no regard for God and His son - Jesus.
May God have mercy on you.
Re: The Nigerian Church Is Losing Its Purpose - By Ayobami Oyalowo (A Must Read!!!!) by PastorKun(m): 5:32pm On Nov 15, 2012
Le Stylo:

That was actually a bible quote rendered by Prof Pat Utomi in defence of Pastor Oritsejafor. Yes, the renowned professor!

Then it qualifies Utomi as another charlatan. Professor of what is he sef Economics! Even in is field he is NOT renowned. He is more known as a politician and social commentator than an economist. What qualifies him to twist or para phrase scriptures?
Re: The Nigerian Church Is Losing Its Purpose - By Ayobami Oyalowo (A Must Read!!!!) by jackima: 5:34pm On Nov 15, 2012
Where is the beauty of holiness. What are the things that we have in common like the old church. My prayer is COME QUICK LORD JESUS.
Nigerian churches have become a bad example for the churches around the world especially African continent where almost all the pastors wanted to associate with Nigerian pastors because of the so called affluent. This is mind burgling.
Re: The Nigerian Church Is Losing Its Purpose - By Ayobami Oyalowo (A Must Read!!!!) by mbulela: 5:40pm On Nov 15, 2012
alextayo:

When Jesus fed 5,000 people, he collected the food from a young boy....if it were to be our Nigerian Pastors, they would have conned the boy into giving out the bread as either special offering, seed sowing, tithe or prophet upkeep...promising him a reward that never existed and quoting Matthew 10:41 The person who welcomes a prophet as a prophet will receive a prophet's reward.

I thought i had heard it all. Which one be this one again? naija una no go kill God.
Re: The Nigerian Church Is Losing Its Purpose - By Ayobami Oyalowo (A Must Read!!!!) by Okijajuju1(m): 5:43pm On Nov 15, 2012
He is a Man of God... Wearing a Jesus piece.. shocked shocked

I wonder whos own costs more...

[img]http://3.bp..com/_0oK-1AXGfrs/R7z81czjXmI/AAAAAAAAAD8/EM1jt5p5pRM/s320/Hip+Hop+jewelry+jesus+pendant.jpg[/img]

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Church Is Losing Its Purpose - By Ayobami Oyalowo (A Must Read!!!!) by PastorKun(m): 5:45pm On Nov 15, 2012
mbulela:
I thought i had heard it all. Which one be this one again? naija una no go kill God.

They keep inventing new terminologies and schemes to scam their congregation.
Re: The Nigerian Church Is Losing Its Purpose - By Ayobami Oyalowo (A Must Read!!!!) by nuclearboy(m): 5:47pm On Nov 15, 2012
The churches have lost nothing - they are fulfilling the purposes for which they were founded, which mostly in Nigeria were\are to make money, manipulate itchy-eared people and build empires!

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Church Is Losing Its Purpose - By Ayobami Oyalowo (A Must Read!!!!) by mbulela: 5:50pm On Nov 15, 2012
I was in a church recently and the pastor said you can not rise beyond his blessings. That as far as he blesses is you is how far you can go. I and my partner just looked at each other and burst out laughing. That was pure comedy to me and folks were nodding in agreement. That to me is the hallmark of manipulation,seduction and control. How can your success as a child of God be tied to the pronouncement of one man? Of what use then is Christ's blood?

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Church Is Losing Its Purpose - By Ayobami Oyalowo (A Must Read!!!!) by alextayo(m): 5:56pm On Nov 15, 2012
[quote author=salt 1][/quote]

This is a not a courtsey issue.. when i said all churches...i meant all churches without exception. Tell me a gathering of men where there is no evil...even the so-called rigtheuos bible believing churches are all embedded in one form of scandal or the order.... tribal sentiment, leadership tussle, revenue/profit (offering) sharing, and many more...... wat do you say of a G.O who took in a new wife barely 18 months after his wife passed away...please spare me those craps.....i challenge anybody to come out and tell me a church where there is no corruption...i mean any church.

you dont come here and indirectly promote a church .
Re: The Nigerian Church Is Losing Its Purpose - By Ayobami Oyalowo (A Must Read!!!!) by mbulela: 5:58pm On Nov 15, 2012
While we are at it, i must confess that not all of them have lost track completely. I was at Daystar for a couple of months and i must confess that i rarely heard Sam Adeyemi coarse folks into giving. Dude was busy igniting a fire of social regeneration and revolution through the word than any other thing. The only day i heard him talk about giving on a large scale my heart was warmed. He talked about the church building schools in the bomb blast area in Lagos and a few other projects the church was involved in. He simply asked folks to take a sheet of paper write out an amount you were willing to give. He said he did not want it given at once as he was conscious of the economical realities in view of the recent fuel hike (this was in jan).folks were directed to just write the amount on the sheet without their names and put it into a basket and encouraged to split the amount across 5 months.No coercion, no manipulation, no gyration and no tendency to control. within 5 mins he had finished and moved unto more important matters.
That in my view was giving, God's way. If God cannot provide for his work,then he has seized to be God. If you need to manipulate the people to give,then the reward of giving will never abide.

2 Likes

Re: The Nigerian Church Is Losing Its Purpose - By Ayobami Oyalowo (A Must Read!!!!) by Pataki: 6:36pm On Nov 15, 2012
My GOD!

Oluwa e ku suuru oh!

I am really really speechless these days. Not for the fear of these god-of-men parading themselves as men-of-God, but rather because of the hopeless, brainless Nigerians that think their salvation is confirmed through the hands of these con-men!

Just today, one hopeless, useless dogmatic eediot of a lady woke up this morning and started lambasting people on facebook for speaking against that so-called 'born again' thief - Oritsejafor. I used the scriptures to correct her, she told me to think outside of the box. Before I could reply her, she had deleted me off. cheesy Yet this fooool of a specie will think of preaching salvation to someone out there?!

What has a CAN president got to do with stretch limo for his wife, putting on bling-bling, and acquiring an interior gold plated private jet? Is this not insanity of the highest order? In a nation riddled with corrupt leaders, murderers and an unprecedented corruption! Two years ago, I made up my mind never to be part and parcel of any Nigerian church again! I remember several years ago, whilst still living in Nigeria, a pastor told my father never to leave Nigeria, that it was God's will for him to live in Nigeria. Today, I thank God he chose to listen to the God that resides in him rather than the so-called Pastor. Many Nigerians live in social, economic, emotional and psychological bondage of their various pastors. This is why the likes of Jonathan can go kneeling down under Adeboye, and the limitless eediots in Nigeria certainly believe Jonathan is God's anointed for the country.

Fooooooools! angry

3 Likes

Re: The Nigerian Church Is Losing Its Purpose - By Ayobami Oyalowo (A Must Read!!!!) by coldgate(f): 7:24pm On Nov 15, 2012
ATMC: Practical ways to put a stop to the problem facing d christian today is what my ear is itching for
did u read the post?Knowlege of the word of God fron the Bible only. Knowlege is power. There will certainly be a change when we all as Christians become enlightened and the spurious donations for jets and ... Stop flowing.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Manufacturer Of Coffin Complains Of Low Patronage / Is Thinking Of Your Wife While Self-servicing Sin? / Worst Bible Translation?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.