Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,038 members, 7,818,067 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:47 AM

Is Pascal Still Useful? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Is Pascal Still Useful? (4445 Views)

Useful information on how to Unlock SWIFT 4G LTE Pocket Mifi Modem / My Free All-in-one Antitrojan [a Very Useful Tool] / Over 156 Useful Window Run Commands (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Pascal Still Useful? by Aliyasimam: 6:51pm On Feb 04, 2008
Dear Brothers

Please brothers i want to know if PASCAL Programming is still useful, i recently found thai it include in my course outline at school, i want know how would you compare PASCAL with JAVA, is PASCAL still useful? what are advantage of this Programming language over JAVA and other programming languages? which fields are still using PASCAL?

THANKS
Re: Is Pascal Still Useful? by Nobody: 8:00pm On Feb 05, 2008
If you want a useful language, u should go for any of  perl, python, c++, .Net, java.
Re: Is Pascal Still Useful? by ishmael(m): 9:48am On Feb 06, 2008
sting_224:

If you want a useful language, u should go for any of perl, python, c++, .Net, java. Those old lecturers in school keep feeding us with outdated and not so relevant languages. Thats what annoys me about some Nigerian Univerisities. The lecturers never take time to update themselves. 08034930001

Don't mind Nigerian lecturers; later some Nigerians will be comparing our educational system with that of europe and america.
Re: Is Pascal Still Useful? by Bossman(m): 11:54pm On Feb 06, 2008
If you have an an option between Java and Pascal, I would definitely go with Java. Pascal is still ok to teach software development. Obviously, it's not an Object Oriented Programming language like Java.
Re: Is Pascal Still Useful? by Hayorbahmy(m): 4:26pm On Feb 11, 2008
I wonder tho, if pascal is still useful to this society.
I believe if it would be included in the course outline it sud just be an introductory course to software development, cuz it is a waste of time resources etc to study what u might not use later.
All those old lecturers in the university just keep revolving around one pt.
U can imagine I had a lecturer who finished his masters in 1997 and until 2007 he didnt do anything to upgrade himself, not even a professional exam
Re: Is Pascal Still Useful? by mmonwuba(m): 6:06pm On Feb 14, 2008
Pascal is somebody's name. So what happened?
Re: Is Pascal Still Useful? by edayo: 11:18pm On Feb 14, 2008
Is pascal relevant?
That depends, its a very good procedural language, its the base language of the Borland Delphi product/language (which by the was has oop extensions) and a lot of people still use it.
That said its not as popular anymore, and if you ask me i would say go for python, c#, c++, java in that order.

However if the point of learning the language is to get employment in Naija, Java or C# is the most popular in naija development circles (although some people still use VB6 shocked)
Finally if its for school, Bros, make una learn pascal oh, as obsolete as your lecturer may be (and i quite agree with that sentiment by the way) he still marks your exam papers!

HTH
Re: Is Pascal Still Useful? by Ghenghis(m): 10:45am On Feb 15, 2008
People are just reply based on uneducated assumptions

Pascal is still very useful , though admittedly not as popular as the new mainstream languages C#,Java,VB.NET.

The famous platform that C# and even java got there beginnings from is based on Pascal.

Just google for Delphi or Kylix and see for yourself ,

Some programming languages allow the student to focus on real concepts rather than the jargon of the language.

e.g Shell programming was invented as far back as 40 years ago, and i can assure you that its still very much in vogue, Nobody talks about it but its the glue that binds a lot of the work one does in any OS together.

remember everything gets to be machine code at the end of the day ,
Re: Is Pascal Still Useful? by Stanozcom(m): 11:34am On Feb 20, 2008
Aliyasimam,
Did you read what Ghengis and Edayo wrote?
They hit the head right on the nail.
(Ouch!)
Re: Is Pascal Still Useful? by tosinadeda: 2:23pm On Feb 20, 2008
poster are u from unilag?
Re: Is Pascal Still Useful? by Mustay(m): 5:13pm On Feb 21, 2008
mmonwuba:

Pascal is somebody's name. So what happened?

was that a joke or what?

(1) (Reply)

3g Multilinks Modem(ev-do) / NEW ARRIVALS: GAMING LAPTOPS SELLING HOT / SOLD ❌❌❌ ✈✳✅ASUS ROG 2gb Nvidia Geforce Gtx 960m Core I7 8gb Ram/ 1tb Hdd

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.