Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,656 members, 7,820,284 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:31 PM

Water Or Coolant For Radiator - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Water Or Coolant For Radiator (25009 Views)

Water Or Coolant????? / Radiator Fan Constantly Running (even When Engine Is Off) / Help Radiator Fan Not Working ( Problem Solved ) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Water Or Coolant For Radiator by enquirydon: 3:15pm On Nov 25, 2012
@ siena i observe that anytime or morning ,if i want 2 top it with water ,it can not take up to half of a glass cup of water, that is what i mean .more advise is needed .thanks
Re: Water Or Coolant For Radiator by ikeyman00(m): 3:24pm On Nov 25, 2012
@@@@

i understand that certain brand of coolant is not available in Nigeria

since every coolant has its chemical structure i think it make sense to completely drain out before pouring the new one and must stick to it
Re: Water Or Coolant For Radiator by Nobody: 5:09pm On Nov 25, 2012
enquirydon: @ siena i observe that anytime or morning ,if i want 2 top it with water ,it can not take up to half of a glass cup of water, that is what i mean .more advise is needed .thanks

More advise? I don't get it. Your engine's using water faster than fuel, if you're putting in half a pint daily. I've advised you to get your cooling system checked, because as sure as God made apples, your coolant is going somewhere - either leaking externally, or internally (blown head gasket, cracked head or cylinder block etc).

I'm not sure what other advise you require.
Re: Water Or Coolant For Radiator by enquirydon: 11:19am On Nov 29, 2012
@ sine and co. i have stopped topping my car everyday now (three days) it was ok without any issue, but if i want 2 drain the water in my radiator, am i going 2 drain reservoir water also coolant only "written on top"
thanks
Re: Water Or Coolant For Radiator by 55gal(m): 11:18am On Dec 02, 2012
@siena.i use the 2003 Honda Accord ivtec.what type of coolant would you advice me to use.tnx
Re: Water Or Coolant For Radiator by Nobody: 1:18pm On Dec 02, 2012
55gal: @siena.i use the 2003 Honda Accord ivtec.what type of coolant would you advice me to use.tnx

Your 2003 Accord can use either the green or pink coolant, though not a mixture of both. Definitely don't use the older blue coolant.

1 Like

Re: Water Or Coolant For Radiator by Nobody: 1:23pm On Dec 02, 2012
enquirydon: @ sine and co. i have stopped topping my car everyday now (three days) it was ok without any issue, but if i want 2 drain the water in my radiator, am i going 2 drain reservoir water also coolant only "written on top"
thanks

My apologies for not responding sooner, I've only just seen this.

Sounds like you've been running plain water, so no need to drain the resovoir. Just drain the radiator (there should be a tap at the bottom) and mix your coolant and water as a 50 / 50 mix, OUTSIDE the radiator (a 3 litre container will do). Then pour the mixed coolant into your radiator. if it's not enough to reach the maximum, top up with plain water.
Re: Water Or Coolant For Radiator by olajay5: 3:31pm On Dec 03, 2012
@Siena and other pros in d group,
Thank you guys for doing a very wonderful job on this group.

Please I use a Toyota Corolla 2008 model, 1.8ltr engine, auto drive. Presently I used the green coloured coolant only (ready mixed by manufactural) but my car does overheating whenever I am in slow moving traffic and the AC is on. (Nothing happen when d AC is off as well as when in a free flowing traffic). I have read through recommendations on this group and I have done everything but d issue still persist. My question is could the coolant type be reponsible for a car to overheat?

Please advise. Thanks!
Re: Water Or Coolant For Radiator by Nobody: 4:02pm On Dec 03, 2012
olajay5: @Siena and other pros in d group,
Thank you guys for doing a very wonderful job on this group.

Please I use a Toyota Corolla 2008 model, 1.8ltr engine, auto drive. Presently I used the green coloured coolant only (ready mixed by manufactural) but my car does overheating whenever I am in slow moving traffic and the AC is on. (Nothing happen when d AC is off as well as when in a free flowing traffic). I have read through recommendations on this group and I have done everything but d issue still persist. My question is could the coolant type be reponsible for a car to overheat?

Please advise. Thanks!

Please, when you say your engine's overheating, it would help if you give an indication as to there your temperature gauge sits.
Re: Water Or Coolant For Radiator by olajay5: 8:10pm On Dec 03, 2012
Siena:

Please, when you say your engine's overheating, it would help if you give an indication as to there your temperature gauge sits.

I mean it goes way above the mid-level and going as high as reaching the RED zone at which point I had to off the AC, then it will gradually come down to the mid-level again.
And I have flushed the radiator and d condenser, bled the raditor, pour only coolant (ready mixed by manufacturer), my mechanic said the water pump is ok, he said the thermostat is ok too. So I don't know what else to check or do. And the car has only covered about 32,500km.

Thanks for ur anticipated response.
Re: Water Or Coolant For Radiator by Nobody: 8:23pm On Dec 03, 2012
When the aircon is switched on, engines are under more load. I'd be looking at your condenser fan. Does it come on, when you turn on your air conditioner?
Re: Water Or Coolant For Radiator by olajay5: 10:26am On Dec 04, 2012
Siena: When the aircon is switched on, engines are under more load. I'd be looking at your condenser fan. Does it come on, when you turn on your air conditioner?

I have checked d fan this morning. The car has only one fan that covers the engine, the radiator and the condenser. When I started the car, the fan did not start but as soon as I put on the AC, the fan started blowing. But I don't know what u mean by "condenser fan". Is it different from the general fan?.

Once again, thank you for your responses.
Re: Water Or Coolant For Radiator by Nobody: 11:31am On Dec 04, 2012
olajay5:

I have checked d fan this morning. The car has only one fan that covers the engine, the radiator and the condenser. When I started the car, the fan did not start but as soon as I put on the AC, the fan started blowing. But I don't know what u mean by "condenser fan". Is it different from the general fan?.

Once again, thank you for your responses.

Condenser fan is the fan for the aircon.
Re: Water Or Coolant For Radiator by olajay5: 1:43pm On Dec 04, 2012
@Siena,

Like I said earlier, the car has only ONE fan which covers the entire system, so no separate fan for the condenser.

Please what do I do next?
Re: Water Or Coolant For Radiator by olajay5: 11:12am On Dec 06, 2012
@Siena and others,

Please I am still expecting your response. Please don't be tired of the help you are rending on this platform.

May God help u too.

Regards!
Re: Water Or Coolant For Radiator by vitality22(m): 3:51pm On Jan 14, 2013
Hello Siena and other gurus on this thread, my reservoir has a brown coloured coolant. But the radiator is plain water. Do i need to flush the content of reservoir before filling the radiator with a red 50/50 coolant and water? I guess the brownish colour in the reservoir is a mixture of red coolant and water. Though i could be wrong
I use a nissan xterra 2001 model.
Thanks a bunch.
Re: Water Or Coolant For Radiator by Funjay(m): 2:53pm On Jan 15, 2013
Siena:

If you're having to top up your cooling system even once a month...you've got a leak. If you're having to top it up daily, then you've got an even bigger leak. To sum it up, your engine's using coolant faster than it uses gasoline.

I used to maintain my mom's old Peugeot 504 GL, Ford Cortina XL and my dad's Plymouth Avenger DL. Never had to top up coolant even weekly, and these are old cars!

I would get that leak fixed.

Whao,this man is so knowledgeable and sincere, I have sworn that if i must buy a tokunbo car again, it must be from USA. Seems Siena is the man that will get the job done for me cos sincerity has always been an issue for me.

I use Corolla 2005, 1.8L and i have never had to use coolant b4. It has been water all along for me and almost all the cars around me and in my compound use water, i had to top up once in a month or so. Sienna, i will like to know, is this a knowledge gap problem or hw can we explain the preference for just water by most car owners? are some cars designed for water only? is their any long term implication of using just water?

I await your response.
Re: Water Or Coolant For Radiator by Nobody: 3:05pm On Jan 15, 2013
Funjay: I use Corolla 2005, 1.8L and i have never had to use coolant b4. It has been water all along for me and almost all the cars around me and in my compound use water, i had to top up once in a month or so. Sienna, i will like to know, is this a knowledge gap problem or hw can we explain the preference for just water by most car owners? are some cars designed for water only? is their any long term implication of using just water?

I await your response.

All water-cooled engines are designed to run with a coolant / water mixture. Long term use of plain water is internal corrosion, wear in the water pump and hotter running. Coolant, as the name suggests, increases the boiling point of the coolant / water mix. Plain water lowers the boiling point, which you don't want.
Re: Water Or Coolant For Radiator by vitality22(m): 3:46pm On Jan 16, 2013
Funjay:

I use Corolla 2005, 1.8L and i have never had to use coolant b4. It has been water all along for me and almost all the cars around me and in my compound use water, i had to top up once in a month or so. Sienna, i will like to know, is this a knowledge gap problem or hw can we explain the preference for just water by most car owners? are some cars designed for water only? is their any long term implication of using just water?
Re: Water Or Coolant For Radiator by mich2012: 8:15pm On Jan 17, 2013
Hi Siena, I have this Honda Accord 05 I just got and the color of the coolant in the reservoir is Blue I think and below the minimum mark. I called my mechanic and he said I should put water in it, what's your advice?
Also, do I put coolant in the radiator or the reservoir which has this blue coolant I mentioned above?
Re: Water Or Coolant For Radiator by Nobody: 9:05pm On Jan 17, 2013
mich2012: Hi Siena, I have this Honda Accord 05 I just got and the color of the coolant in the reservoir is Blue I think and below the minimum mark. I called my mechanic and he said I should put water in it, what's your advice?
Also, do I put coolant in the radiator or the reservoir which has this blue coolant I mentioned above?

Your Honda's reservoir is an expansion tank only. So there's a thin hose leading from the radiator top area (by the filler cap) to the reservoir. So you want to check the level in the radiator itself.

If it's low, topping it up with plain water will dilute it, and make the mixture weak. So I would mix a 50/50 coolant solution (about a litre should do) to bring the radiator level up, so it's visible below the cap. It doesn't have to be right to the top.
Re: Water Or Coolant For Radiator by vitality22(m): 4:07pm On Jan 18, 2013
Siena:

Your Honda's reservoir is an expansion tank only. So there's a thin hose leading from the radiator top area (by the filler cap) to the reservoir. So you want to check the level in the radiator itself.

If it's low, topping it up with plain water will dilute it, and make the mixture weak. So I would mix a 50/50 coolant solution (about a litre should do) to bring the radiator level up, so it's visible below the cap. It doesn't have to be right to the top.
Siena, please i still need your candid advice, my truck (Nissan xterra 2001) has a brownish coolant inside the reservoir. And sincerely, i've been using plain water in the radiator. So i went looking for brown coolant but couldnt get. Am thinking its a red coolant that mixed with water from the radiator to become brown inside the reservoir.
I want to put the 50/50 coolant and water in my radiator. Please what do I do? I dont want to use plain water again in my radiator.
Thanks in anticipation of your response

1 Like

Re: Water Or Coolant For Radiator by akaymotus: 6:59pm On Jan 22, 2013
Hello Siena, u re doing a gud job here sir....pls i got a lexus gs300 from UK about a year ago, i had to convert it from RHS to LHS, since the conversion i have always felt heat coming in & i was told its normal that its the engine's heat while some said i should remove the thermostat, i don't feel the heat when the a.c is on though.
Secondly, i have been using plain water instead of mixing with coolant, how long can i go on with plain water?
Thirdly 2 days ago, it started overheating & i took it to a mechanic (rewire), the guy worked on it & the overheating stopped but now the sound emitted by d fan has increased & he said thats not a problem, i hope its not?
He (the rewire) also said i should remove the thermostat, pls what do u think?
Re: Water Or Coolant For Radiator by sooperrescue(m): 3:34am On Mar 23, 2013
PEAK® Long Life® Antifreeze & Coolant
Made for all cars and light-duty trucks, regardless of original antifreeze color.
PEAK Long Life® Antifreezes & Coolants feature a Long Life coolant technology that is compatible for use in all automobiles and light-duty trucks, regardless of make, model, year or original antifreeze color. Specific benefits include: • Compatible for use in all automobiles and light-duty trucks • Yellow color will not change the current antifreeze color when used for topping-off • Provides 150,000 miles or 5 years of maximum protection when a complete cooling system flush and fill is performed • Features a phosphate-free and silicate-free formula • Meets ASTM D-3306 and ASTM D-4340 PEAK Long Life® 50/50 Prediluted Antifreeze & Coolant offers all of the same benefits in a convenient prediluted antifreeze with no need to add water. Its inhibitors provide maximum cooling system protection against damaging rust and corrosion. Additional benefits include an amber color that will not change the current antifreeze color when used for topping-off and a phosphate-free and silicate-free formula.
Re: Water Or Coolant For Radiator by Nobody: 6:04am On Mar 23, 2013
FIRST AND FOREMOST NEVER REMOVE UR VEHICLE'S THERMOSTAT NEVER!(side effects are too numerous). SECONDLY CONVERT TO THE IDEAL COOLANT/WATER MIX RIGHT AWAY/ASAP! THIRDLY WHILE CONVERTING IT SEEMS SOME HEAT PADS HAVE BEEN REMOVED FROM THE ENGINE'S FRONT...UNLESS THE HEAT IS FROM UNDER THEN THAT SHOULD BE ANOTHER STORY!
akaymotus: Hello Siena, u re doing a gud job here sir....pls i got a lexus gs300 from UK about a year ago, i had to convert it from RHS to LHS, since the conversion i have always felt heat coming in & i was told its normal that its the engine's heat while some said i should remove the thermostat, i don't feel the heat when the a.c is on though.
Secondly, i have been using plain water instead of mixing with coolant, how long can i go on with plain water?
Thirdly 2 days ago, it started overheating & i took it to a mechanic (rewire), the guy worked on it & the overheating stopped but now the sound emitted by d fan has increased & he said thats not a problem, i hope its not?
He (the rewire) also said i should remove the thermostat, pls what do u think?
Re: Water Or Coolant For Radiator by Dereformer(m): 8:56pm On Mar 23, 2013
HI SIENA,
YOU ARE INDEED AN AUTO GURU. PLEASE I USE VW VENTO 1997 MODEL. WHAT TYPE OF COOLANT SHOULD I USE FOR THE CAR? PRESENTLY, I AM USING ABRO COOLANT, GREEN IN COLOUR; BUT THE CAR CAME WITH A RED COLOURED COOLANT.

THANKS.
Re: Water Or Coolant For Radiator by EvilSirit: 6:56am On May 05, 2013
Hello gurus in d aos....i use the 2002 Honda civic 1.8L. i have been using plain water in the past 2years for my radiator ......what
type of coolant would you advice me to use.tnx
Re: Water Or Coolant For Radiator by kunle75(m): 1:46pm On May 06, 2013
@Siena & other gurus in the house may u guys days be long amen.

Your candid advice is highly required I just imported a used 2000model sienna mini van and notice this brownish colored water in d radiator but noticed the water had reduced a litlle dis morning and had to top it with water,pls what type of coolant will u advice me to use and what ratio mixture too?
Secondly the two fan in the hood dosnt come on ontime except I drive some distance but it comes on immidiately I put on the AC pls I wld like to know if its ok?thirdly pls I need a good car AC guru cos my car AC isn't chilling as expected,your favorable response is highly anticipated.tx
Re: Water Or Coolant For Radiator by Noslan007: 11:29am On May 07, 2013
@ Siena,
Pls sir. What is the best coolant for hunda Passport 2000 model.
Re: Water Or Coolant For Radiator by orthodontist(f): 11:54am On Apr 08, 2015
Hello mr Sienna. Pls kindly help with my Volvo xc90 2004 AWD. I got it ard sept last yr from US. The temp guage stays in d middle always. Yest i got a dash msg to check coolant level. I checked n it was just on d minimum line, what was in it looks clear. Cld dis be plain water? Pls what do i do now? I got a pink coolant from lanre badmus but i dnt know if its d right one. It dosent say if its pre-mixed, just sayss to put directly in radiator. Also, do i have to flush out first?
Thanks.
Re: Water Or Coolant For Radiator by Nobody: 3:56pm On Apr 09, 2015
Hi Mr Siena, i use a camry 00/01.

please what type/color of coolant do i need to buy for this vehicle if necessary?

i am scared at the way the engine coolant container looks empty every time i open the bonnet.

please advise.

thanks
Re: Water Or Coolant For Radiator by Nobody: 8:04pm On Dec 16, 2015
ye...mo gbe oh...my car has been running water in the radiator since i bought it...what do i do...i poured in that abro coolant thingy b4...is that any good...pls forgive my ignorance

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Volvo Promises Deathproof Cars By 2020 Using These Features / Rolls-Royce Sold A Record 5,152 Cars In 2019, The Highest Ever / Everything You Need To Know About Your Tyres (In Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.