Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,235 members, 7,818,785 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:15 AM

8 CATHOLIC DIOCESE DECLARED BANKRUPTCY Due To Sex Abuse Cases Over $3 billion - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 8 CATHOLIC DIOCESE DECLARED BANKRUPTCY Due To Sex Abuse Cases Over $3 billion (954 Views)

Pope Benedict Challenges Atheist, Says He Never Hid Abuse Cases. / Pope Declares Seat Of Bishop Of Ahiara Mbaise Catholic Diocese Vacant / Someone Should Please Call The Catholic Faithfuls Of Ahiara Diocese To Order. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

8 CATHOLIC DIOCESE DECLARED BANKRUPTCY Due To Sex Abuse Cases Over $3 billion by BARRISTERS: 2:39am On Nov 15, 2012
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_sexual_abuse_scandal_in_the_United_States

Over $3 billion incured till 2012 from 2004 only from child abuse

In July 2008 the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Denver agreed "to pay $5.5 million to settle 18 claims of childhood sexual abuse."[22] The Associated Press estimated the total from settlements of sex abuse cases from 1950-2007 to be more than $2 billion.[20] BishopAccountability reports that figure reached more than $3 billion in 2012.[13][23] Addressing "a flood of abuse claims" five dioceses (Tucson, Arizona; Spokane, Washington; Portland, Oregon.; Davenport, Iowa, and San Diego) got bankruptcy protection.[20] Eight Catholic diocese have declared bankruptcy due to sex abuse cases from 2004-2011.[24]
As it became clear that there was truth to many of the allegations and that there was a pattern of cover-up in a number of large dioceses across the United States, the issue exploded into a nationwide scandal, creating a crisis for the Catholic Church in the United States. Allegations in the United States also encouraged victims in other nations to come forward, rapidly creating a global crisis for the Church. Over several decades in the 20th century, priests and lay members of religious orders in the Catholic Church had sexually abused minors on a scale such that the accusations reached into the thousands.[25] A major aggravating factor was the actions of Catholic bishops to keep these crimes secret and to reassign the accused to other parishes in positions where they had continued unsupervised contact with youth.
Re: 8 CATHOLIC DIOCESE DECLARED BANKRUPTCY Due To Sex Abuse Cases Over $3 billion by Ubenedictus(m): 2:52am On Nov 15, 2012
This seem like old news.
Re: 8 CATHOLIC DIOCESE DECLARED BANKRUPTCY Due To Sex Abuse Cases Over $3 billion by BARRISTERS: 3:01am On Nov 15, 2012
check the link, it is new, this year Over $3 billion incured till 2012 from 2004 only from child abuse,thats crazy men
Re: 8 CATHOLIC DIOCESE DECLARED BANKRUPTCY Due To Sex Abuse Cases Over $3 billion by Ubenedictus(m): 3:25am On Nov 15, 2012
BARRISTERS: check the link, it is new, this year Over $3 billion incured till 2012 from 2004 only from child abuse,thats crazy men
i already saw that info quite early this year. It wasnt publish in d month of november abi i lie?
Re: 8 CATHOLIC DIOCESE DECLARED BANKRUPTCY Due To Sex Abuse Cases Over $3 billion by Ubenedictus(m): 3:34am On Nov 15, 2012
BARRISTERS: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_sexual_abuse_scandal_in_the_United_States

Over $3 billion incured till 2012 from 2004 only from child abuse

In July 2008 the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Denver agreed "to pay $5.5 million to settle 18 claims of childhood sexual abuse."[22] The Associated Press estimated the total from settlements of sex abuse cases from 1950-2007 to be more than $2 billion.[20] BishopAccountability reports that figure reached more than $3 billion in 2012.[13][23] Addressing "a flood of abuse claims" five dioceses (Tucson, Arizona; Spokane, Washington; Portland, Oregon.; Davenport, Iowa, and San Diego) got bankruptcy protection.[20] Eight Catholic diocese have declared bankruptcy due to sex abuse cases from 2004-2011.[24]
As it became clear that there was truth to many of the allegations and that there was a pattern of cover-up in a number of large dioceses across the United States, the issue exploded into a nationwide scandal, creating a crisis for the Catholic Church in the United States. Allegations in the United States also encouraged victims in other nations to come forward, rapidly creating a global crisis for the Church. Over several decades in the 20th century, priests and lay members of religious orders in the Catholic Church had sexually abused minors on a scale such that the accusations reached into the thousands.[25] A major aggravating factor was the actions of Catholic bishops to keep these crimes secret and to reassign the accused to other parishes in positions where they had continued unsupervised contact with youth.
on the other thread you said that the church was doing nothing to address d pedophilia mess, how come your link say otherwise? Hope u didnt lie on purpose
Re: 8 CATHOLIC DIOCESE DECLARED BANKRUPTCY Due To Sex Abuse Cases Over $3 billion by ijawkid(m): 6:28am On Nov 15, 2012
@BArrister.......you don't have to do this.......
Leave these issues alone.....

We should be here to tackle doctrinal issues not scandals.........

Just don't let chukwudi get to you.....

@Ubenidictus....how far??......we never finish our image debate o......
Re: 8 CATHOLIC DIOCESE DECLARED BANKRUPTCY Due To Sex Abuse Cases Over $3 billion by BARRISTERS: 8:53am On Nov 15, 2012
@ijawkid
@BArrister.......you don't have to do this.......
Leave these issues alone.....

We should be here to tackle doctrinal issues not scandals.........

Just don't let chukwudi get to you.....

@Ubenidictus....how far??......we never finish our image debate o......

you know im not yet a witnesses, i have said it severally,but have good history and thier records up to date,my wife is one of them,yes. so im not bound to treat doctrinal issues alone, i choose to respond to any claim, because im loaded with comprehensive facts of catholics and the rest, and if chukwudi or anybody's ox is gored,let him/her come out to face the challenge!
Re: 8 CATHOLIC DIOCESE DECLARED BANKRUPTCY Due To Sex Abuse Cases Over $3 billion by Ubenedictus(m): 2:12pm On Nov 15, 2012
BARRISTERS: @ijawkid

you know im not yet a witnesses, i have said it severally,but have good history and thier records up to date,my wife is one of them,yes. so im not bound to treat doctrinal issues alone, i choose to respond to any claim, because im loaded with comprehensive facts of catholics and the rest, and if chukwudi or anybody's ox is gored,let him/her come out to face the challenge!
hahaha, hope this isn't a scared dog barking? Well i'm not interested in your chosen line of debate

(1) (Reply)

Can Someone Translate It To English For Me. / Most Christians Will Take ‘mark’ / Nairalanders Beware: The Evils Of End Time Deception

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.