Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,506 members, 7,816,205 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:36 AM

‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ (15324 Views)

13 Major Reasons Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable / Unemployment- Non-graduates Are Cheating Graduates In Nigeria / If You Are Unemployed, Read This (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by charlsecy4(m): 5:46pm On Nov 15, 2012
isleman: .... a graduate was telling she is from Abeokuta state. She didn't even know she was wrong because she said it over again severally. Out of about 200 applications i went through only 42 could write a sound C.V....

[size=14]The truth is that you can't judge a person's practical ability from their word of mouth. That a person can't write a proper CV doesn't necessarily mean they won't excel in the job, if employed. All those interviews and tests are mainly crowd control technique! If not, why were those tests not conducted in 1960's, '70s when company representatives were wooing fresh graduates to work in their company?[/size]

2 Likes

Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by October1st: 5:53pm On Nov 15, 2012
DECEMBER 17th to 22nd IS ‘bad NIGERIAN road week’

December 17th to 22nd has been declared ‘bad Nigerian road week’.

We implore you to observe this day by posting online pictures of bad roads you have contended with this year in your neighbourhood and on your journeys. Kindly post a picture on facebook and twitter on this week.

Nigeria is not in a state of war, and yet we have roads that are so bad that you would be forgiven for thinking that we are just emerging from a civil war. How can we explain craters on our highways-craters that are so wide that vehicles have to pass through a bush path in order to continue their journey? How can we explain pot holes that straddle our local streets and states when our local authorities collect taxes as well as government allocations?

Is it possible to embarrass our leaders to action over the poor state of roads in the country? The answer to that question is a resounding ‘No!’ They know the state of the roads in the nation and they do not care. We the youth of Nigeria can however make our leaders uncomfortable using the power of social media.

The traditional media has been compromised by publishers who wine and dine with the people in power. Social media however is your voice, and you can use this medium to voice your displeasure. The power of social media is one that the president himself is aware of, hence his decision to announce his presidential candidacy via Facebook. Social media has brought down African dictators in recent years- dictators that were more prudent with their nation’s resources than our kleptomaniac rulers.

We are slowly arriving at a dangerous point where sane people begin to accept the abnormal with a shrug. Governors and the President buy private jets to fly across the country while the roads they are entrusted to maintain are death traps for the rest of us. Politicians are flown abroad for treatment while the majority of the population dies of treatable diseases every year. Public education is destroyed from primary to university levels and government officials send their children abroad to be educated. It is not normal, and we (the sane Nigerians) should stop accepting these things as normal lest we lose our sanity.

The work is plenty, but we shall start by bringing international attention to the state of roads in our country. Let us all mark this week, as a day to register our displeasure. Post a picture of a bad road, state the date it was taken, and location of the road that you feature.

Please send sms and BB messages to inform friends of this campaign. Also, rebroadcast this message to your e-mail contacts, and also post on Facebook and other social media sites. Let us unify and pressure our government to work.

We urge civil society groups to set up awareness programmes to coincide with the week, in order to publicize this campaign. Blog owners and young artistes are encouraged to use their popularity to promote this week of dissent and public awareness.

We talk too much without action in Nigeria, and you can be the one to change this attitude. Or are you not tired yet?

Remember that without activity from you, this message will not be successful. You can be part of a movement that seeks to ensure your comfort on Nigerian roads.

Invest as little as ten minutes of your time to this online activism. Send this message to as many people as possible.

2 Likes

Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by knash1(m): 5:56pm On Nov 15, 2012
All i need is just Visa. Nigeria is a failed country.
Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by Godogwu: 5:58pm On Nov 15, 2012
Fhemmmy:

What is the interest rate?

did you try loaning from the bank?, well I have no idea....never needed to loan money, still an undergrad smiley
Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by Godogwu: 5:59pm On Nov 15, 2012
k'nash:

good for you, you'll prolly do some organised marriage ish to get papers and stuff yea?.....thats just sad tho
Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by 360command: 6:11pm On Nov 15, 2012
Ucheosefoh: did u know how many years some piple have spent at home searching for dream courses like law, medicine etc with no success they have 2 take any course offered to them. Did u think is easy writing jamb every year btw I know some piple who study those courses I list above yet they are jobless, unemployment cover all sectors of the economy

Guy, take it easy. This is why they say Nigerians dont speak good English. You are also the course of unemployment in this country
Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by Nobody: 6:18pm On Nov 15, 2012
*Smh*
Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by Mgbadike80: 6:33pm On Nov 15, 2012
We know our government have failed but the truth is that our graduates have failed more. To be honest, if i'm an employer, i won't employ any of my ppa colleagues during youth service. I generally call them educated illiterates. I can swear none of them wrote and passed their waec on their own based on their performance during our service yr. So yes we need a violent revolution but even that might not be enough to put this country in order. Most nigerians would later die than think.
engineerd: There is a JOB waiting for those 60% unemployed youths! TAKE UR COUNTRY BACk!!!! IT'S CALLED REVOLUTION!!!
We know our government have failed but the truth is that our graduates have failed more. To be honest, if i'm an employer, i won't employ any of my ppa colleagues during youth service. I generally call them educated illiterates. I can swear none of them wrote and passed their waec on their own based on their performance during our service yr. So yes we need a violent revolution but even that might not be enough to put this country in order. Most nigerians would later die than think.
Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by webizone(m): 6:33pm On Nov 15, 2012
Shaw007: All thz Ppl here shouting "they are 2 lazy . . . they can't thInK . . .there are Lots of business ideas".are either stILL students or are just being Unrealistic with themselves. . .with the Kind of resources this country has,theres ntn wrong if every average graduate gets employed,at least 2 get the ball rolling,is that 2 much 2 ask for?? Infact let the money mismanagement and every stops,if the situatIon wud not lighten. . .Even if they want 2 start their Own business. . Is that how easy the money is circulatIng?? Abeg make we hia word Jor,i say no more!!

True.
Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by Mgbadike80: 6:36pm On Nov 15, 2012
360command:

Guy, take it easy. This is why they say Nigerians dont speak good English. You are also the course of unemployment in this country
mumu in ur mind, ur a professor of english? It's mumus like u that give d nigerian graduate a bad name. Obnoxiously proud when ur not better than those u cajole.
Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by 360command: 6:45pm On Nov 15, 2012
Mgbadike80: mumu in ur mind, ur a professor of english? It's mumus like u that give d nigerian graduate a bad name. Obnoxiously proud when ur not better than those u cajole.

I am 360command.
Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by webizone(m): 6:56pm On Nov 15, 2012
360command:

I am 360command.

Salute sir. He is 360command. Confident.
Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by einsteine(m): 6:57pm On Nov 15, 2012
Statingtheobvious.com

dkolu: Director General of the National Centre for Technological Management, Dr. Willie Siyanbola, has disclosed that unless both government and private sectors generate over 2.5 million jobs yearly, about 60 per cent of Nigerian graduates will remain unemployed.

Speaking at a stakeholders’ sensitisation workshop on ‘Entrepreneurial Attitudinal Status’ in Nigeria’s tertiary institutions at the Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU), Ile-Ife, Siyanbola said about five million Nigerians are either not productively engaged or unemployed; a situation which he said was sad.

Commending the Federal Government and some state governments’ intervention programmes to reduce unemployment rate in the country, the DG stated that the effects of the programme would take some time to be noticed. According to him, the issue of job creation should not be left in the hand of the government alone; stressing that job creation was a business for all. - http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/-60-of-nigerian-graduates-are-unemployed-/130658/
Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by tampa1871: 7:14pm On Nov 15, 2012
ARE THEY EMPLOYABLE?
Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by Nobody: 7:24pm On Nov 15, 2012
cheddarking: Another thing is....

Nigerians also need to stop studying stupid Mickey-mouse courses...

A lot of people go in to study Theology, Philosophy, Fishery, Public Admin, International Relations etc...

These courses are simply not relevant in Nigeria today..

A word to Nigerians: Consider your University Degree as an Investment Opportunity, A sound investment produces sound returns.
Have you ever sat for jamb sha, people in naija don't usually choose to study those courses you listed. A lot of times, the university offers you those courses based on the cut off mark. Top course again are usually reserved for lecturer and big man pikins dem. A few usually get enrolled on top courses based on merit. And even, your petroleum or Banking and finance degree still doesn't guarantee a job after graduation due to high unemployment rate in the country.
Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by Ucheosefoh(m): 7:30pm On Nov 15, 2012
360command:

lol but this is nt how to correct somebody's mistake u showed lack of maturity with ur correction mind u no body is perfect even Dangote is nt perfect in English language but he is employing graduates more educated than him, u dnt judge somebody's capability with his knowledge of english language rather the ideas in his head and his achievements, piple like Dangote, Bill Gate, Steve Jobs and odas who make gud use of the ideas in their heads rather dan their knowledge of english language are examples of the point I am trying to make that the most important is somebody's idea nt his english speaking skills
Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by Nobody: 7:37pm On Nov 15, 2012
isleman: Its a pity but the real question is are they employable? I was a member of a team that interviewed some set of graduates a year ago and a graduate was telling she is from Abeokuta state. She didn't even know she was wrong because she said it over again severally. Out of about 200 applications i went through only 42 could write a sound C.V and i could only recommend 12 satisfactorily. it was an easy interview for me as they failed woefully.
One of the problems with Nigeria. Because you interviewed ssce holders for an unskilled job, u have now concluded that Nigerian graduates are not employable.Are they not products of your educational system that is in shambles? The same educational system that produced you. So what makes you think that you are better than them.smh

1 Like

Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by Nobody: 7:54pm On Nov 15, 2012
60% is an conservative; 70 is more realistic.
Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by NEROSKY(m): 8:02pm On Nov 15, 2012
it should be 99%
Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by bakynes(m): 8:13pm On Nov 15, 2012
Recent figures show unemployment is 72 percent in naija and the problem is that most of this old pple dont want to retire u see people at 70 years old still working so ow do u expect the youth to get jobs with pple like dat.When naija sets a reasonable retirement age with good pension scheme then we wld see changes. and also the issue of this HR pple especially the Nigerian HR pple they dont want pple more qualified than them to come in and be boss over them

1 Like

Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by bigmaut: 8:18pm On Nov 15, 2012
The statistics are incorrect govt. or private sectors doesnt generate 2.5million jobs yearly they rather cause unemployment i will give an example the banning of okada in lagos or delta,does he know how many youths are thrown into d unemployment market instaed what guvnors are doin are scrambling over themselves to buy private jets
Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by bakynes(m): 8:30pm On Nov 15, 2012
k'nash:
Do you think Visa will help u when all the nations of the world are getting strict with their immigration laws meaning u cant get a job if your not a white citizen

1 Like

Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by gunners160(m): 8:33pm On Nov 15, 2012
So Abt 60% of our young graduates are unemployed 4 dat mata.yet we hear of pastors&politicians buyin private jet worth billions of naira.instead of investin it on job creation
Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by Fhemmmy: 8:41pm On Nov 15, 2012
Godogwu:

did you try loaning from the bank?, well I have no idea....never needed to loan money, still an undergrad smiley

Try and find out . . . Then, you will see how rough it is and discouraging, i have never applied for a loan before as well, but i tried to be informed
Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by fankasibe: 9:10pm On Nov 15, 2012
A friend of mine who is an Economics graduate will dress in tie and suit, he works as a brick-layer everyday since he has got no option.

1 Like

Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by nikky5(m): 9:22pm On Nov 15, 2012
I told my children that degrees alone cannot guarantee them a future in this country.I graduated over two decades ago and workd as a lecturer the preceding month I finished my NYSC.But today I do five different things here in Lagos.Business ideas flow everywhere and I am grateful to God that i dont need my degree anymore.
Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by dartsidius7(m): 10:28pm On Nov 15, 2012
i dont think its right for some people to call other peeps lazy. even the youths that have jobs, are being trampled upon by their employers. why? cos they know that there are like 7000 people waiting to replace you, if you phuck up. naija is a country where even the basic amenities are scarce. peeps cant even start businesses that involve electricity, cos there is no power. my friends say that its not easy abroad, but they never seem to want to come back home. some scream revolution but dont even have the heart for it.
God help us.
Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by BJB007(m): 10:38pm On Nov 15, 2012
It should be 90%. The Government estimate looks inaccurate.

I don't see this govt or the next solving the issue of unemployment.

The brilliant way out is for youths to invest in themselves.

A degree is not enough to survive in this highly competitive society.

Many self employed youths are making millions out there.

Seun Osewa is an example.

So, it may be an idea or a small company. It will grow.

Let's think productive. Human resource alone is enough to make Nigeria a super power.

Let's not rely on the Govt to get rich.

Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by subterfuge: 10:39pm On Nov 15, 2012
Wetin concern MUMU fucker G.E.J.
His own is to loot the treasury and tell nigerians stories for ever.
once he can loot and distort or destroy panel reports indicting his sexer diezani from scandal, he is satisfied.

1 Like

Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by Nobody: 1:07am On Nov 16, 2012
krexpo: Dat figure he gave is inaccurate! It is actually about 85-90% dat are unemployed! One thing is for sure, revolution!
i agree with you...the signs are iminent... definitely heading that way...its goin to take so many by surprise, the fact is that project Nigeria has been so terribly managed.God help us
Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by doppler777(m): 1:31am On Nov 16, 2012
grin[color=#000000][/color]
mko abiola: REVOLUTION is d solution
Until,ar all dese bad leaders ar killed.
If not d rich ar getting richer,poor ar getting poorer.
Well...thats why private jets are lining up in 9ja nowadays..."THEY ARE READY TO JETAWAY @ ANYTIME"...
Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by doppler777(m): 1:37am On Nov 16, 2012
gunners160: So Abt 60% of our young graduates are unemployed 4 dat mata.yet we hear of pastors&politicians buyin private jet worth billions of naira.instead of investin it on job creation
Again....... those "jet owners" are getting ready to "JETOUT" before "wahala bust" trust mee wink
gunners160: So Abt 60% of our young graduates are unemployed 4 dat mata.yet we hear of pastors&politicians buyin private jet worth billions of naira.instead of investin it on job creation
Again....... those "jet owners" are getting ready to "JETOUT" before "wahala bust" trust mee

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Interview Invitation By Mandos Nigeria Limited / Npower: Batches A And B Make Ready Your Login Details / 3 Important Things To Do Before Accepting A Job Offer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.