Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,845 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:59 PM

Can I Get Into Oil And Gas With Third Class And Certifications? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Can I Get Into Oil And Gas With Third Class And Certifications? (3860 Views)

How Do I Break Into Oil & Gas Industry In Nigeria? / With Third Class Degree Is Their Any Hope / Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can I Get Into Oil And Gas With Third Class And Certifications? by Nobody: 5:06am On Nov 16, 2012
Can one get into the oil and gas with a 3rd class in engineering in oil and gas with certifications only?
Re: Can I Get Into Oil And Gas With Third Class And Certifications? by Caseless: 6:18am On Nov 16, 2012
Ofcourse, yes! Ur ability to make it in life is not tied to what u graduated with but what u can make out of urself. Whenever people are invited for an ap-test, go and take part, but make sure u impress them through the test and try to make them understand the reason behind ur grade , and that u can always improve. Result no always matter...no let am weaken u ooo...jst take the step. Goodluck!

4 Likes

Re: Can I Get Into Oil And Gas With Third Class And Certifications? by saidforum: 11:39am On Nov 16, 2012
Get a post graduate and master. you will be employed

1 Like

Re: Can I Get Into Oil And Gas With Third Class And Certifications? by Nobody: 12:46pm On Nov 16, 2012
saidforum: Get a post graduate and master. you will be employed
im talking about certifications and training, not pgd or masters
Re: Can I Get Into Oil And Gas With Third Class And Certifications? by ColourME: 12:08am On Nov 23, 2012
Why not?

Get a certified welding engineer (CWeng) certification and become a hot cake instantly.

You may as well look into the following certifications.

CSWIP and AWS(welding inspection), BGAS and NACE( coating and painting), NDT ( non destructive test), QMS ( quality management system) and Safety.

Knowledge of any of the software like Hysis, Pdms, Pds, Tekla structures, autocad, CAESAR ( pipe stress analysis) solidworks, Autodesk P & ID, Autodesk 3D plant, Autodesk Robot structural analysis, compress or tank( pressure vessel design software), microstation

4 Likes

Re: Can I Get Into Oil And Gas With Third Class And Certifications? by bizzle2: 12:38am On Nov 24, 2012
spot on!!...beautiful response. u appear quite knowledgeable on the subject (relevant oil & gas certifications and skill sets) wch do u currently possess?
considering the cost of acquiring certification against economic prospects; CWeng vs CWI wch would u advise on?
jst got a lil training frm a frnd on welding inspection (AWS) tryna get sm dough togeda and register for the certification exams.
Colour ME: Why not?

Get a certified welding engineer (CWeng) certification and become a hot cake instantly.

You may as well look into the following certifications.

CSWIP and AWS(welding inspection), BGAS and NACE( coating and painting), NDT ( non destructive test), QMS ( quality management system) and Safety.

Knowledge of any of the software like Hysis, Pdms, Pds, Tekla structures, autocad, CAESAR ( pipe stress analysis) solidworks, Autodesk P & ID, Autodesk 3D plant, Autodesk Robot structural analysis, compress or tank( pressure vessel design software), microstation
Re: Can I Get Into Oil And Gas With Third Class And Certifications? by ColourME: 4:56am On Nov 24, 2012
Economy against marketability is what you should be looking out for. CWI (AWS or CSWIP) is cheaper compare to CWeng, but what about their markebility? Presently, it will cost you around 400K to write CWI plus some 80K to get trained from a good tutor and almost twice that amount to get CWeng.
The problem lies in the number of people having CWI against those with CWeng and your chances of securing a job with both.

Again,
No one would want to hire a fresh welding inspector without some experience, considering the practical requirements of supervising welding in the field while on the other hands welding engineer (CWeng) has little or no connection with the field ( root gap, pre-heating temperature, visual inspection of deformity, inter-pass temperature and monitoring the conditions of welding equipments and all that) except if he/she wishes to observe the making of PQR and WPS or testing his designed welding joints. His presence is all optional. The welding supervisor/ Quality controller communicates to him the results of DT( destructive test) and the needs to either re-design the welding joints.

secondly, the job prospect of CWI is very slim when compared with CWeng (I may not have any statistics to back my claim) but, I talk from observation point of view. Do you know the number of people out there with CWI? The truth here is holder of CWeng certificaties are hot cakes. we only get expatriates when we call for CWeng while hundreds troop in with CWI.

Salary? The take home pay of CWeng doubles that of CWI.

Finally, the decision of which one to write is yours alone.

P.S. I don't have any certification related to welding. check out my blog to see what I do. Thanks

bizzle*:
spot on!!...beautiful response. u appear quite knowledgeable on the subject (relevant oil & gas certifications and skill sets) wch do u currently possess?
considering the cost of acquiring certification against economic prospects; CWeng vs CWI wch would u advise on?
jst got a lil training frm a frnd on welding inspection (AWS) tryna get sm dough togeda and register for the certification exams.

1 Like

Re: Can I Get Into Oil And Gas With Third Class And Certifications? by bizzle2: 12:25pm On Nov 24, 2012
thanks,appreciate d insight. guess cost becomes the problem. do u knw of any establishment(s) that could maybe sponsor CWeng certification and then hold d beneficiary to some form of contractual agreement?
Colour ME: Economy against marketability is what you should be looking out for. CWI (AWS or CSWIP) is cheaper compare to CWeng, but what about their markebility? Presently, it will cost you around 400K to write CWI plus some 80K to get trained from a good tutor and almost twice that amount to get CWeng.
The problem lies in the number of people having CWI against those with CWeng and your chances of securing a job with both.

Again,
No one would want to hire a fresh welding inspector without some experience, considering the practical requirements of supervising welding in the field while on the other hands welding engineer (CWeng) has little or no connection with the field ( root gap, pre-heating temperature, visual inspection of deformity, inter-pass temperature and monitoring the conditions of welding equipments and all that) except if he/she wishes to observe the making of PQR and WPS or testing his designed welding joints. His presence is all optional. The welding supervisor/ Quality controller communicates to him the results of DT( destructive test) and the needs to either re-design the welding joints.

secondly, the job prospect of CWI is very slim when compared with CWeng (I may not have any statistics to back my claim) but, I talk from observation point of view. Do you know the number of people out there with CWI? The truth here is holder of CWeng certificaties are hot cakes. we only get expatriates when we call for CWeng while hundreds troop in with CWI.

Salary? The take home pay of CWeng doubles that of CWI.

Finally, the decision of which one to write is yours alone.

P.S. I don't have any certification related to welding. check out my blog to see what I do. Thanks

Re: Can I Get Into Oil And Gas With Third Class And Certifications? by ColourME: 1:08pm On Nov 24, 2012
Very difficult to get sponsorship from outside. If you are already working with any organization that requires such certifications, then chances are you may get sponsorship from them or get refunded after presenting your certificate.

Most organizations don't want to waste time training you, only for you to start asking for salary increment unnecessarily. The contractual stuff don't normally work in Nigeria. I know a guy that bolted out of a company after gulping 6 million naira in training within 3 months of signing a bond.

There is always a way round signing of bonds. For instance would you continue with a company paying 400K per month after receiving an offer of 1 million per month? undecided

bizzle*:
thanks,appreciate d insight. guess cost becomes the problem. do u knw of any establishment(s) that could maybe sponsor CWeng certification and then hold d beneficiary to some form of contractual agreement?
Re: Can I Get Into Oil And Gas With Third Class And Certifications? by bizzle2: 2:22pm On Nov 24, 2012
any honest person would, besides if the 400k coy hadnt given u the leverage and oppurtunity u needed, u wdnt be worth anything to the 1 milion coy
only greed would rily make ppl act in dat manner.
Re: Can I Get Into Oil And Gas With Third Class And Certifications? by Nobody: 7:34am On Aug 30, 2014
caseless: Ofcourse, yes! Ur ability to make it in life is not tied to what u graduated with but what u can make out of urself. Whenever people are invited for an ap-test, go and take part, but make sure u impress them through the test and try to make them understand the reason behind ur grade , and that u can always improve. Result no always matter...no let am weaken u ooo...jst take the step. Goodluck!
Prepare for your Oil and Gas Job tests, Interviews and Scholarship tests with:

# The Ultimate Oil and Gas Tests Guide

This guide contains hidden but open SECRETS to succeed in :
*SHL Tests;
*Psychometric tests;
*Aptitude Tests;
*Numerical Tests;
*GRE;
*Inductive Reasoning;
*GSE;
*Sample Interview Questions and Answers;
*Sample live tests
*Solutions to past tests
*And many more...
Visit www.oilandgastestsguide.com for more information.
Re: Can I Get Into Oil And Gas With Third Class And Certifications? by Caseless: 7:37am On Aug 30, 2014
5252World:
Prepare for your Oil and Gas Job tests, Interviews and Scholarship tests with:

# The Ultimate Oil and Gas Tests Guide

This guide contains hidden but open SECRETS to succeed in :
*SHL Tests;
*Psychometric tests;
*Aptitude Tests;
*Numerical Tests;
*GRE;
*Inductive Reasoning;
*GSE;
*Sample Interview Questions and Answers;
*Sample live tests
*Solutions to past tests
*And many more...
Visit www.oilandgastestsguide.com for more information.
thank u, bro!

(1) (Reply)

Join The British Army / What Is Responsible For Career Success? Strategy Or Luck? / Why Employers Are Saying Yes To CIMA Qualification

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.