Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,714 members, 7,809,704 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:36 PM

Sufism: A Peacful Path In Islam? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Sufism: A Peacful Path In Islam? (1051 Views)

Sufism:: The Dariqatul Tijjaniyyat / Sufism(mysticism) / What Is Sufism (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sufism: A Peacful Path In Islam? by Nobody: 7:02pm On Feb 05, 2008
I have been reading about Sufism. See -> http://research.unc.edu/endeavors/fall98/sufis.html.

It appears to be a peaceful sect in Islam. I personally encourage Usman Mohammed, olabowale, babs787 and our other militant Muslim brothers to check out the path of Sufism. It may well be the path of enlightenment and peace that they urgently need.

What do u guys think?
Re: Sufism: A Peacful Path In Islam? by Leilah(f): 2:28am On Feb 07, 2008
yeah what I heard its an innovation (bidah) couldn't care less though I was just passing by.
Re: Sufism: A Peacful Path In Islam? by Nobody: 9:54am On Feb 07, 2008
Leilah:

yeah what I heard its an innovation (bidah) couldn't care less though I was just passing by.
Why not take a second, deeper look at it.
Re: Sufism: A Peacful Path In Islam? by samba123(m): 10:30am On Feb 07, 2008
I read about sufism, either you like it or not there is no harming about it, if you like to meditate using thier technique its up to you. before that you should know yourself first before going to it, one of the basis is purefying you heart,
Re: Sufism: A Peacful Path In Islam? by Nobody: 11:33am On Feb 07, 2008
Perhaps we should recommend Sufism for olabowale and babs787, before they turn into suicide bombers!!!!
Re: Sufism: A Peacful Path In Islam? by Nobody: 12:25pm On Feb 07, 2008
Perhaps we should recommend Sufism for olabowale and babs787, before they turn into suicide bombers!!!!

IMOTEPH[b][/b]i've follwed your postings and i can say categorically that you are in no way competent to recommend Sufism to anyone but yourself and the bitterness you help spread.you know nothing of sufi's.
Re: Sufism: A Peacful Path In Islam? by Nobody: 12:30pm On Feb 07, 2008
trukoments:

IMOTEPH[b][/b]i've follwed your postings and i can say categorically that you are in no way competent to recommend Sufism to anyone but yourself and the bitterness you help spread.you know nothing of sufi's.

I never claimed to be an expert on Sufism. But I can smell potential terrorists from afar. These budding terrorists would benefit a lot from peace and tranquility.
Re: Sufism: A Peacful Path In Islam? by stimulus(m): 12:39pm On Feb 07, 2008
trukoments:

i've follwed your postings and i can say categorically that you are in no way competent to recommend Sufism to anyone

Did you ever calm down to read his input? What is the meaning of "perhaps we" in his initial statement as below:

imhotep:

Before you begin to blow hot and cold to send another 'friendly warning' to Nairaland, dear trukoments do take care to be 'competent' about your 'categorical' flares. wink
Re: Sufism: A Peacful Path In Islam? by Nobody: 12:43pm On Feb 07, 2008
trukoments:

IMOTEPH[/b]i've follwed your postings and i can say categorically that you are in no way competent to recommend Sufism to anyone but yourself and the [b]bitterness you help spread.you know nothing of sufi's.
Yes, the truth is a bitter pill to swallow. But the truth also sets you free. It is never healthy to live a lie.

Perhaps we should also recommend Sufism to our brother trukoments.
Re: Sufism: A Peacful Path In Islam? by 4Play(m): 12:47pm On Feb 07, 2008
The myth about Sufism being a wholly peaceful version of Islam is only that,a myth.Here is the great Sufi Al-Ghazali comments on jihad:

"One must go on jihad (i.e., warlike razzias or raids) at least once a year, one may use a catapult against them [non-Muslims] when they are in a fortress, even if among them are women and children. One may set fire to them and/or drown them, If a person of the Ahl al-Kitab [People of The Book – primarily Jews and Christians] is enslaved, his marriage is [automatically] revoked…One may cut down their trees, One must destroy their useless books. Jihadists may take as booty whatever they decide, they may steal as much food as they need"

Nor is Al-Ghazali merely an aberration.Other prominent Sufis such as Tabandeh and Shah Wali-Allah have written in similar vein.Sufism may be a more peaceful version,relative to other schools of thought within Islam,but it is hardly what one may call a "peaceful sect." History tells us different.
Re: Sufism: A Peacful Path In Islam? by stimulus(m): 12:50pm On Feb 07, 2008
imhotep:

Perhaps we should also recommend Sufism to our brother trukoments.

Lol. . . he has been "following" your posts - no let am catch your hide out by Sufi meditations! grin
Re: Sufism: A Peacful Path In Islam? by Nobody: 12:55pm On Feb 07, 2008
4 Play:

The myth about Sufism being a wholly peaceful version of Islam is only that,a myth.Here is the great Sufi Al-Ghazali comments on jihad:

"One must go on jihad (i.e., warlike razzias or raids) at least once a year, one may use a catapult against them [non-Muslims] when they are in a fortress, even if among them are women and children. One may set fire to them and/or drown them, If a person of the Ahl al-Kitab [People of The Book – primarily Jews and Christians] is enslaved, his marriage is [automatically] revoked…One may cut down their trees, One must destroy their useless books. Jihadists may take as booty whatever they decide, they may steal as much food as they need"

Nor is Al-Ghazali merely an aberration.Other prominent Sufis such as Tabandeh and Shah Wali-Allah have written in similar vein.Sufism may be a more peaceful version,relative to other schools of thought within Islam,but it is hardly what one may call a "peaceful sect." History tells us different.

Then it is a lesser of two evils. We know we cannot have a perfect world. A more peaceful version of Islam will mean a lot for the middle east and the rest of the world.
Re: Sufism: A Peacful Path In Islam? by Nobody: 12:56pm On Feb 07, 2008
stimulus:

Lol. . . he has been "following" your posts - no let am catch your hide out by Sufi meditations! grin
I trust that he is a peace loving Sufi. If he catches my hideout, he will pray for me.

Abi no be so, trukoments??
Re: Sufism: A Peacful Path In Islam? by stimulus(m): 1:00pm On Feb 07, 2008
4 Play:

Incidentally, while we were feverishly posting comments in the sticky thread yesterday to resolve Usman Muhammad's 'friendly advice' to Nairaland, so many people emailed me that storyline from various sources, including:

Asian International News Agency

FrontPage Magazine

FaithFreedom.Org

Islam Watch

American Thinker

. . . and:

Jihad Watch

I was reluctant to re-post them because it was my thinking that we should give Muslims on the Forum the opportunity to seek reason and peaceful means of discussing on the Forum. For my reluctance, I was loaded with new names (most of which are not so palatable to the ears)  grin
Re: Sufism: A Peacful Path In Islam? by 4Play(m): 1:07pm On Feb 07, 2008
I liked this part the most:

Sufi saint Sheikh Ahmad Sirhindi (1564-1624) who was the head of the Naqshbandi wrote:

"The honor of Islam lies in insulting kufr and kafirs. One who respects the kafirs dishonors the Muslims, The real purpose of levying jiziya on them is to humiliate them to such an extent that they may not be able to dress well and to live in grandeur. They should constantly remain terrified and trembling. It is intended to hold them under contempt and to uphold the honor and might of Islam.--" [letter #163]

http://www.faithfreedom.org/Articles/sina50502p2.htm

http://www.jihadwatch.org/archives/004940.php
Re: Sufism: A Peacful Path In Islam? by Nobody: 1:14pm On Feb 07, 2008
Sufism opens the path for the arrival of Muslim mystics ( a mystic is one who has direct experiences of God). This mystical aspect (which mainstream Islam lacks so much) opens the path to inner peace and tranquility.

Inner peace and tranquility can lead to peaceful co-existence with others who are markedly different from us.

A true mystic will ignore the hateful musings of so-called masters who lacked inner peace.
Re: Sufism: A Peacful Path In Islam? by stimulus(m): 1:16pm On Feb 07, 2008
imhotep:

A true mystic will ignore the hateful musings of so-called masters who lacked inner peace.

Finito! That explains it all! grin
Re: Sufism: A Peacful Path In Islam? by Nobody: 2:17pm On Feb 07, 2008
Lol. . . he has Lol. . . he has been "following" your posts - no let am catch your hide out by Sufi meditations!been "following" your posts - no let am catch your hide out by Sufi meditations!

[b]STIMULUS/IMOHTEP[/b]it's clear that people like you make such untrue comments about muslims and islam that generates so much controversy,well it doesnt bother me because everyone has right to free speech and freedom of thought but what amazes me is that people should pick the logs in their own eyes first before picking out the logs in other peoples eyes,understand?you kids!!
Re: Sufism: A Peacful Path In Islam? by Nobody: 2:22pm On Feb 07, 2008
trukoments:

[b]STIMULUS/IMOHTEP[/b]it's clear that people like you make such untrue comments about muslims and islam that generates so much controversy,well it doesnt bother me because everyone has right to free speech and freedom of thought but what amazes me is that people should pick the logs in their own eyes first before picking out the logs in other peoples eyes,understand?you kids!!

You are free to call us whatever you like. On my part, I shall look for peaceful Sufi meditation materials and email them to you. I do hope you make use of them. Remember to pray for much needed world peace.
Re: Sufism: A Peacful Path In Islam? by stimulus(m): 2:24pm On Feb 07, 2008
imhotep:

You are free to call us whatever you like. On my part, I shall look for peaceful Sufi meditation materials and email them to you. I do hope you make use of them. Remember to pray for much needed world peace.

Amen! Finito! grin
Re: Sufism: A Peacful Path In Islam? by stimulus(m): 2:33pm On Feb 07, 2008
@trukoments,

trukoments:

STIMULUS/IMOHTEP[/b]it's clear that people like you make such untrue comments about muslims and islam that generates so much controversy,

That is why I usually invite Muslims to please correct [b]me
where they suppose I may have been making untrue statements.

I'm surprised, though, that whenever I point out some of the false statements posted by Muslims (deliberately so) on the Forum, no other Muslim has sought to correct those untrue assertions made by their Muslim brethren. And even though I invite them several times (deliberately so) to come forward and let's discuss issues, they have never once tried to reasonably take the offer. You might have read me several times asking this simple question: "Do you care to do so"? Go through my posts (if you have been truly following) - and you will not be surprised to find that Muslims have evaded that offer several times!

Now, trukoments, do you care also to point out what you feel are untrue in my posts?

trukoments:

well it doesnt bother me because everyone has right to free speech and freedom of thought

It is that very thing we should try and foster in our discussions - the respectful and considerate freedom of speech that does not translate into Muslims seeking every opportunity to ridicule Christians and Christianity, and then sending muzzling threats to Nairaland.

trukoments:

but what amazes me is that people should pick the logs in their own eyes first before picking out the logs in other peoples eyes,understand?you kids!!

Thanks, elder trukoments, thanks very much. I wonder why that should "amaze" you. Really! grin

(1) (Reply)

An Atheist Meets God / Profiling Yahweh,the God Of The Jews / Historical Errors Of The Quran!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.