Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,758 members, 7,824,182 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:12 AM

How To Cook Ewa Agoyin - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / How To Cook Ewa Agoyin (10676 Views)

Ewa Agoyin And Agege Bread: The Fading Delicacy Of Lagosians / Ewa Agoyin Lovers (how To prepare It) / Recipe For "agoyin Stew" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Cook Ewa Agoyin by Nobody: 1:33pm On Nov 17, 2012
[b]I don't know wats with dis food, but nigerians love dis food like crazy! I for one hate beans..but i sure do love dis particular beans recipe die!.
So I had dis sudden crave for ewa agoyin some weeks back, and since there's no where around to buy it, i checked it up online and i tried it out. So i tot to share d recipe with you guys. Note-i didn't follow most of their instructions to detail, it was more of doing it my own way and it came out very fine and delicious.

how to make ewa agoyin:
Ingredient For the beans:
*2 cups of red beans
*salt to taste

For the agoyin sauce:
*1 large white onion bulb (slice thinly)
*1 cup of palm oil
* salt
*seasoning cube (i always use knorr chicken)
*1 large bell pepper or dry grinded pepper(ata gigun)
*habanero peppers
*another half size medium onion
(some may put tomato, but i did not)
*smoked fish
*dry blended crayfish(i did not use this tho)
*you can put some other things to make ur stew look assorted, but i did not want to deviate too much from d original agoyin taste, so i did not bother.

Direction
Beans:
Add 6 cups of water to a pot, set on low heat. wash and add the beans. leave on low heat for 2hrs or until the beans is very soft. As in very very soft! To give it dat paste like look.
Add salt to taste.

Sauce: (Agoyin stew)
In a blender, grind the bell pepper, habanero pepper and the half medium onion.. (i blended mine to a coarse texture). Then parboil it to remove excess water from it. But i think most of these agoyin people from togo use dry blended pepper(ata gigun) in making theirs.
Set a medium sized pot on low heat, add the palm oil.
Bleach the oil for long till it becomes clear, (note!: ur kitchen might get smoky!)
Turn the heat to minimum, add the sliced onion, stir at interval until the onion is caramelized (the color should be
almost black but not burnt)..
Then add the parboiled pepper to the fried onion in d bleached oil, fry it for about 15mins.
Add in the 'scattered' smoked fish, salt and seasoning. If u like crayfish in ur stew, dis is the time to add it. (note dat the few times i ate the original togolese ewa agoyin, they did not put anything in the stew like fish or what have you.)
Taste for seasoning and salt.
keep frying d stew on medium heat for another 10mins..or longer until its gets very dark in colour and gets dats crunchy taste..just like d agoyin stew.
Serve on beans
EnJOY.
Note: Some people mash up the beans, there shouldn’t be a need to, if you cook the beans on low heat. it should be perfectly soft with no need for mashing. But you can mash it if u wish. I've also heard dat the agoyin people put akaun(potash) in d beans to make it soften quickly. I didn't see d need for dat. But u can.
[/b]

6 Likes

Re: How To Cook Ewa Agoyin by Nobody: 10:10pm On Nov 17, 2012
Funny...i cooked it today. Hmmmm... I luv dis food
Re: How To Cook Ewa Agoyin by pendusky(m): 10:54pm On Nov 17, 2012
2.5 hrs? Who get dat kind gas? Next recipe pls.

1 Like

Re: How To Cook Ewa Agoyin by dominique(f): 11:00pm On Nov 17, 2012
^^^ lols that's why I use electric cooker for beans. The women that sell it use potash (akaun) to soften the beans fast.
Re: How To Cook Ewa Agoyin by Nobody: 11:32pm On Nov 17, 2012
pendusky: 2.5 hrs? Who get dat kind gas? Next recipe pls.
cooking ur normal beans doesn't take dat long..but dis is ewa agoyin. If you have a pressure cooker, dis is when it comes handy.
And just like dominique said, those cotonou women who sell it use akaun to make it faster..but i'm not a fan of that idea anyway.

1 Like

Re: How To Cook Ewa Agoyin by Nobody: 4:03am On Nov 19, 2012
Lord knows how much I love ewa agoyin. I hate beans normally, but as long as it's ewa agoyin with unsliced bread, I fear not.

Now, I'm craving it sad sad OP I'm mad at you angry

1 Like

Re: How To Cook Ewa Agoyin by Nobody: 10:36am On Nov 20, 2012
lol grin
Re: How To Cook Ewa Agoyin by MissOpe(f): 1:29pm On Nov 21, 2012
Please what is habanero pepper called in yoruba not heard of it before......
Re: How To Cook Ewa Agoyin by MissyB3(f): 1:32pm On Nov 21, 2012
ItsModella: Lord knows how much I love ewa agoyin. I hate beans normally, but as long as it's ewa agoyin with unsliced bread, I fear not.

Now, I'm craving it sad sad OP I'm mad at you angry
And I always thought Ewa agoyin means beans in yoruba! shocked What is ewa agoyin, and how is it different from beans?

1 Like

Re: How To Cook Ewa Agoyin by moonbaby(f): 6:46pm On Nov 21, 2012
Miss Ope: Please what is habanero pepper called in yoruba not heard of it before......

It's called Ata rodo @ Miss Ope smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Cook Ewa Agoyin by Nobody: 7:07pm On Nov 21, 2012
Missy_B:
And I always thought Ewa agoyin means beans in yoruba! shocked What is ewa agoyin, and how is it different from beans?
ewa agoyin is beans and palm oil stew.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Cook Ewa Agoyin by MissOpe(f): 10:40am On Nov 22, 2012
moonbaby:

It's called Ata rodo @ Miss Ope smiley

Hi dear thanks for answering my question but please I have another question.
What is the difference between bell pepper and habanero pepper..
Don't blame me I only know the names of peppers in yoruba except Tomatoes...
Awaiting your reply

1 Like

Re: How To Cook Ewa Agoyin by Nobody: 4:04pm On Nov 24, 2012
^^bell pepper is tatashe while habanero pepper is ata rodo.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Cook Ewa Agoyin by MissOpe(f): 6:36pm On Nov 24, 2012
booqee: ^^bell pepper is tatashe while habanero pepper is ata rodo.
Thanx dear...God bless Uuuu

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Cook Ewa Agoyin by Nobody: 9:38pm On Oct 17, 2013
its been over 3month i ate beans. I should cook dis recipe one of these days. I miss it. grin
Re: How To Cook Ewa Agoyin by Nobody: 11:27pm On Oct 17, 2013
lovely thread
ewa agoyin and agege bread on my mind. smiley
Re: How To Cook Ewa Agoyin by Nobody: 5:27pm On Nov 22, 2013
Thanks Ife grin grin grin
Ah Made it just nau
tz nice
Re: How To Cook Ewa Agoyin by tollyboy5(m): 2:13am On Feb 07, 2018
Lalasticlacla mynd44 dis shud reach front page nau many people are asking me about ewa goin. My first one after Togolese taught got burnt. Some even payed to learn @ akure but na rubbish dem teach dem

(1) (Reply)

Peak 456: Investing In Early Nutrition For Smart Children / Have Cake? Will Come / What Soup Can You Prepare With N1000 Naira?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.