Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,910 members, 7,835,037 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:42 AM

Project Management Course / Program - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Project Management Course / Program (2685 Views)

The 'estate Management' Course-outdated And Unlucrative? / Safety Management Course / Project Management (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Project Management Course / Program by goldboy(m): 11:43am On Feb 06, 2008
I would like to know if any one in the house has any idea about Project management course i can run. I work in a telecoms firm that is into project mgt and i would like to go for training in that area.

ANYBODY to help pls.

Rgds
Re: Project Management Course / Program by kunleola1: 1:19pm On Feb 06, 2008
Re: Project Management Course / Program by Chizzyo(f): 6:36pm On Feb 06, 2008
When it comes to Project Management, I strongly recommend the PMP certification. That's the most recognized certification in the world in that field. Albert and Benjamin Ross runs PM courses on a monthly basis. Visit www.abrpm.com
Re: Project Management Course / Program by goldboy(m): 6:58pm On Feb 06, 2008
Kunle & Chyzoo.,

Thnx a lot , am so grateful. God bless.
Re: Project Management Course / Program by Chizzyo(f): 4:29pm On Feb 07, 2008
hey! i work with Albert & Benjamin Ross. I could be of help. Call me 07034056829
Re: Project Management Course / Program by falase: 8:42pm On Feb 10, 2008
I am into Project Management, and from experience, PRINCE2 is the most recognised Project Management standard recognised in the world in opposite of PMP. PRINCE2 which stands for Project In Controlled Environment is defacto project management standard in the UK. It is much more process based compared to PMI.
Re: Project Management Course / Program by Kashif(m): 11:51am On Feb 11, 2008
falase:

I am into Project Management, and from experience, PRINCE2 is the most recognised Project Management standard recognised in the world in opposite of PMP. PRINCE2 which stands for Project In Controlled Environment is defacto project management standard in the UK. It is much more process based compared to PMI.

PRINCE2 most recognised in the world shocked shocked If you say UK, then you are right but the world, not right grin grin

What does PRINCE2 say about Qualily control, Activity Sequencing, Critical Path Method, etc? It is better to say that PRINCE2 practitioner is easier to grasp than PMP. PRINCE2 references PMI so, that should give you an insight.

Peace!
Re: Project Management Course / Program by goldboy(m): 12:41pm On Feb 11, 2008
@ Kashif /

Can u ples explain to me which is better and preferable btw PMP and PRINCE2. What are the main differences

Kindly assist
Re: Project Management Course / Program by Kashif(m): 1:08pm On Feb 21, 2008
Please check their websites. If you are not able to draw up an effective conclusion, then let me know. wink
Re: Project Management Course / Program by ogepam(f): 4:07pm On Feb 21, 2008
There are a number of internationally recognised Project Management methodologies. Two of the best known and most globally adopted are PMP® (Project Management Professional) from PMI (Project Management Institute) in the USA, and PRINCE2™(PRojects IN Controlled Environments) from the OGC (Office of Government Commerce) in the UK.
The fundamental difference between these two standards is that PMP® is a set of tools and techniques designed to develop individual capability in the management of projects. PRINCE2™ is a process designed to develop organisational capability in the management of projects.
Both techniques have their part to play in the successful management of projects within an organisation. All projects require a blend of individual capabilities and competencies alongside a universally understood organisational framework, in order to deliver the results required.
PMI was founded in the US in 1969 to promote professionalism amongst the project management community. In 1984 this was formalised with the introduction of the PMP® qualification. There are now over 200,000 PMP's worldwide, on every continent.
PMP® prepares Project Managers with the individual skills necessary to manage projects. The main reference is the PMBoK (Project Management Body of Knowledge) upon which the training and examination is based. The focus of PMP® is on the management of activities through the application of knowledge areas. The knowledge areas covered are the management of: Integration / Scope / Time / Cost / Quality / Human Resource / Communications / Risk / Procurement.
PRINCE, the predecessor to PRINCE2™ was developed in 1989 by the UK government to provide better control of IT projects. PRINCE2™ was introduced in 1996 to bring a generic process to any project environment.
PRINCE2™ provides an organisation with the processes necessary to better control their projects. The reference manual is "Managing Successful Projects with PRINCE2", upon which training and examinations are based. The focus of PRINCE2™ is on the management of results (rather than activities), through the use of defined processes. The processes are; Starting up and initiating a project, planning, controlling a stage, managing stage boundaries, managing product delivery, directing a project and closing a project.
In addition, PRINCE2™ ensures that there is a real business objective through the development of a business case, which is updated and evaluated at key decision points throughout the project, for its continued viability.
PMP® and PRINCE2™ deliver different results. PMP® develops personal capability whilst PRINCE2™ develops organisational capability. For this reason they compliment each other, and both can be used within an organisation.

For further Enquires for individual Project managment Training(PRINCE2 ,CAPM,PMP)
Please contact
Pamela Chukwuemeka
D'Principles company and Associates

1 Like

Re: Project Management Course / Program by Kashif(m): 6:25pm On Feb 21, 2008
Very good insight.
Re: Project Management Course / Program by knzguru(m): 5:34am On Mar 09, 2008
Go to Albert & Benjamin Ross. There's gotta be a reason everyone else has!
Re: Project Management Course / Program by iyke199(m): 3:20pm On Mar 11, 2008
Please fellow nairalanders, i have a lot of info concerning project management as i have a Second Class Upper degree in that field from the Federal University of Technology, Owerri. Feel free to forward any question on that to my email as i promise i will answer you satisfactory. Just finished my NYSC and looking for job. Anyone who can help should please do so. I will so much appreciate.

Iyke.
08035835190, iyke199@yahoo.com
Re: Project Management Course / Program by Kashif(m): 12:07pm On Mar 12, 2008
iyke199:

Please fellow nairalanders, i have a lot of info concerning project management as i have a Second Class Upper degree in that field from the Federal University of Technology, Owerri. Feel free to forward any question on that to my email as i promise i will answer you satisfactory. Just finished my NYSC and looking for job. Anyone who can help should please do so. I will so much appreciate.

Iyke.
08035835190, iyke199@yahoo.com

When it comes to professional project management, you will be surprised uni degrees don't match well. What people are talking about here is international Project Management credential. I had a training mate with Masters in PM, when I was preparing for my PMP exam. He was rudely shocked and almost felt he wasted his money! Some peeps here will understand what I am talking about.

I encourage anybody who has any question on PM to post here on this forum so that we all can look at it.

@iyke, you will surely get a job wink You are on the right track.
Re: Project Management Course / Program by ulohomuno: 9:59pm On Mar 12, 2008
Iyke,

kashif is correct. project management certification is quiet different form what is obtained in the class room. it has its own methodology. it is braoder than the class stuff. i did an MBA and major in operations/production management. the project management i was taught ( the PERT, CPM Critical chain etc) are tools and techniques which most be combined with what i called the soft skills-- people management, negotiation, critical thinking, listening, leadership etc. and such other best practice like- risk management, cost management, vendor management and requirement management etc.

to me a project manager must learn how to Maneuver the tide of organisation politics and functional silos ethically and must also be courageous to say NO

kashif,

what is happening to PMI Lagos chapter -

1 Like

Re: Project Management Course / Program by Kashif(m): 12:41pm On Mar 14, 2008
@ulohomuno,

I dont really know much o. I think I need an insight. wink
Re: Project Management Course / Program by travelcare: 11:12am On Mar 20, 2008
Kunle Ola,

Are you the same Kunle Ola that finished at UNILAG (Bus Admin Department)? If you are, kindly get in touch with me through leofield@yahoo.com

Okuribido Olawale
Re: Project Management Course / Program by Baengah(m): 1:41pm On Mar 20, 2008
Hello everyone. I went through the CAPM brochure (I assume the PMP brochure is similar) and it said something about one having either practical experience or taught experience (both with a number of hours as guides).

Am a bit confused when I see lots of adverts inviting individuals to take the PMP certification after a 3 day training. The question is would the training both qualify 1 to take the exam and also prepare the individual to a large extent for the certification exam? without previous project management experience.

thanks
Re: Project Management Course / Program by kunleola1: 6:01pm On Mar 20, 2008
travelacare,
i did not finish from unilag.
Re: Project Management Course / Program by ubiaru(f): 6:24pm On Mar 26, 2008
i guess i am now confused,i want to run a PMP programme but someone put me off by saying its fake and its beta done in the university as a master program then running with all these bodies that take just a weekend or 2 days to run the program befire you write the exam,what do you all thinks cos i dont have time to go to school.
Re: Project Management Course / Program by Kashif(m): 12:13pm On Mar 27, 2008
ubiaru:

i guess i am now confused,i want to run a PMP programme but someone put me off by saying its fake and its beta done in the university as a master program then running with all these bodies that take just a weekend or 2 days to run the program befire you write the exam,what do you all thinks because i don't have time to go to school.

If you read this page and other threads on project management here, you will know the difference between Masters in PM and being a world class professional.

Yes, the preparatory training should not be anything less than 35 hrs but I tell you that you will need months (yes, months!) of serious studies before you can comfortably take the exam. It took me ~8 months to be comfortable enough to take the exam after my preparatory training!

My dear, it is a professional credential, and they are very serious about it. The PMP exam preparatory classes are usually rushed and most times, the trainees want to quickly get over it and face their studies while the trainers wait for the phone calls and other correspondences. It is not the same as what you learn in school.

I hope this helps wink
Re: Project Management Course / Program by deor03(m): 12:44pm On Mar 27, 2008
Studying project Management in the uni , passing PMP or APMP or PrinceII and practising Project management are 3 different things entirely. There are some principles you will learn in school that will help you in practising Project management. Professional certifications is entirely a different ball game. The fact that you passed a certification does not make you a practisioner. There are some vocabulary and ethics in the profession that you pick up with training and experience. I am into the 3 stated above and i thinks to be a good project manager it is better you are into at least 2 of the three options stated above

all the best
Re: Project Management Course / Program by donedeclan: 1:17pm On Mar 27, 2008
hi every one

do any one help me with NTTS aptitude text format.
i was told they dont use gmat.
i will be glad if any one can help me.
henrydeclan@gmail.com
Re: Project Management Course / Program by Kashif(m): 1:32pm On Mar 28, 2008
deor03:

Studying project Management in the uni , passing PMP or APMP or PrinceII and practising Project management are 3 different things entirely. There are some principles you will learn in school that will help you in practising Project management. Professional certifications is entirely a different ball game. The fact that you passed a certification does not make you a practisioner. There are some vocabulary and ethics in the profession that you pick up with training and experience. I am into the 3 stated above and i thinks to be a good project manager it is better you are into at least 2 of the three options stated above
all the best

I can't imagine this post coming from a PMP
Re: Project Management Course / Program by deor03(m): 10:38pm On Mar 28, 2008
Kashif:

I can't imagine this post coming from a PMP

Re: Project Management Course / Program by okeyz(m): 6:18pm On Apr 15, 2008
hi kashif .please i want to apply for the PMI training.please i need advice on which i should attend is it PMP OR PMI ,please your advice will be highly appreciated.
thanks
Re: Project Management Course / Program by okeyz(m): 7:12pm On Apr 15, 2008
hi ogepam
where are u guys located, i would like to attend the training,and i want to ask if PRINCE2 is covered in all PMP courses.
Re: Project Management Course / Program by oakproject: 12:51am On Apr 17, 2008
Hi, We are having a FREE Project Management Seminar on the 19th and also the 26th of April, 2008. This seminar will address practically all the issues raised above. We'll compare the popular standards i.e. PMBok, IPMA's ICB, Prince2, P2M and the accompanying certfications. We'd also be looking at cost implications, prospects, eligibility and other investements (time et al) that you will need to commit to your pursuit of a PM certification. Its at Newman Training Centre, 5th Floor NCR Building (beside Western House) 6 Broad Street, Lagos. We have 4 sessions, 10.00, 11.30, 1.00pm and 2.30pm.
Would be good if you can make it. visit www.oakproject..com for more details. Thanks.

Re: Project Management Course / Program by mistamalik: 11:17am On Apr 17, 2008
A PMP gets the job done!
no doubt cool

(1) (Reply)

Noun Pgd Duration Pls Help / Would Nigerians Employ A Virtual Office Assistant? / Accenture Or Pwc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.