Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,788 members, 7,820,760 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:05 PM

Hujjatul-islam Ali Akbar Mohtashami-pur: Cursing The Companions Is Prohibited - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Hujjatul-islam Ali Akbar Mohtashami-pur: Cursing The Companions Is Prohibited (1178 Views)

ALLAHU AKBAR!!! See What Becomes Of A Woman After Steping On The Qur'an / Religious Authority, Sistani Condemns Cursing Prophet Mohammed’s Companions / My Heroes: The Companions Of The Prophet: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hujjatul-islam Ali Akbar Mohtashami-pur: Cursing The Companions Is Prohibited by maclatunji: 11:30am On Nov 20, 2012
By Ali Al-Halawani
Deputy Editor in Chief — English IslamOnline.net

This interview was conducted with Hujjatul-Islam Ali Akbar Mohtashami-Pur, former Iranian minister of interior, during the 6th Annual International Conference on Jerusalem held in Doha, Qatar, in October 2008.

The interview was focused on the Sunni-Shiite relationship, the relations between Iran and Arabs, the statement of Sheikh Yusuf Al-Qaradawi regarding the propagation of Shiism in Sunni countries, and the problem of some Shiites' insults to the Prophet's Companions and his noble wives. Mr. Mohtashami addressed all these issues in a very spontaneous manner.

Some of the questions raised here were contributed by my colleagues `Abdullah At-Tahawi and Mustafa `Ashour.

Interviewee's Biography

Ali Akbar Mohtashami-Pur was born in 1946. He joined the Scientific Hawzah (Shiite Islamic seminary) in 1961 and went to Najaf in 1966. In 1978, he traveled to Paris with Imam Khomeini, and there he was responsible for the imam's office.

In 1981, he was appointed as Iran's ambassador to Syria for four years and later as Iran's minister of interior for another four years. Afterward, he became a member of the Islamic Parliament of Iran in its third and sixth sessions.

In 1991, he was the secretary-general of a conference that was held in support of the Palestinian First Intifada. In 2001 and 2006, a second and third sessions were held in support of the Second Intifada.

When Al-Quds International Institution was founded in 2001, he was a member of the constituent assembly and Sheikh Al-Qaradawi's deputy in its board of trustees.

IslamOnline.net (IOL): How do you see the relationship between Sunnis and Shiites in the Muslim World today, particularly in light of the statements of Sheikh Al-Qaradawi and the consequent reactions of some Iranian religious references and institutions?

Mr. Mohtashami: Almighty Allah says,

"Verily, this Ummah of yours is one Ummah, and I am your Lord, so worship Me." (Al-Anbiyaa' 21:92)

All the doctrines widespread in the Muslim World belong to the Muslim Ummah. They are included in this divine speech that encompasses all doctrines and races. The Qur'anic speech regards all as one movement, one current, and one thought. In fact, our Ummah is comprised of all these peoples and trends that are of different types but ultimately share the same core of tawheed [monotheism; worshipping Allah alone].

The source of this core of tawheed is the Final Prophet, Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him), and the Islamic message he was sent with. This message is the Ever-Glorious Qur'an along with the Prophet's honorable Sunnah.

Hence, my view is that some Muslims may err, but we should not magnify their errors and generalize them to all those who belong to their group or doctrine.

Let me present this example to you: When Salman Rushdi authored his book The Satanic Verses wherein he made accusations against and insults to the Noble Prophet, his Companions, and his wives and belied the Qur'an and violated its sanctity, it was Imam Khomeini who defended Lady `A'ishah and the Prophet's other wives and his Companions and issued his famous death fatwa against Salman Rushdi. At that time, however, many Muslim scholars preferred to be completely silent about that issue.

The European countries further escalated the problem by calling their ambassadors abroad. To this, the response of Imam Khomeini was, "We are not pleased by having ties with the West or having their ambassadors in our countries." His Eminence added, "If the leaders of kufr (disbelief) willed to confront our religion, we would confront them with all might and strength and destroy them."

This is an example of the thought and attitude of Muslim scholars toward important issues, and I think that all Muslims — Sunni and Shiite — would be like this.

IOL: Is it appropriate that some propagate their doctrine in an attempt to attract followers of the other doctrine to their own?

Mohtashami: No, it is not. And I do not think that this is the predominant trend among our Shiite scholars. Imam Khomeini, for example, and his successors as well, did not approve such a trend. They held the belief that consolidating and strengthening the Muslim unity all over the Muslim World is of greatest importance.

The Shah's regime used to strengthen a current against the other, and the SAVAK used to support a group in its confrontation with the other.
As for the plots schemed by the enemies to sow discord among the members of the Ummah, this had a history since the Shah's regime. This regime used to take some moves that aimed to sow the seeds of discord and deepen the dispute between different groups and doctrines inside and outside Iran. The aim was to make these groups weak and the regime more strong.

For instance, there were Baha'is in Iran and another group called the Hujjatiyyah, who wait for the Hujjah (the Mahdi or Hidden Imam) and seek his coming [they think that he will not come unless commotion and disorder prevail]. The Shah's regime used to strengthen a current against the other, and the SAVAK [Iranian intelligence agency during the rule of the Shah] used to finance and support a group in its confrontation with the other.

Moreover, there were attempts by the Shah to make the Shiites and Sunnis confront each other. However, with the victory of the Islamic Revolution, all such efforts came to an end inside and outside Iran, and trends toward unification and unity emerged.

I am certain that the erudite scholar Al-Qaradawi has a clear-sighted approach and vision as far as this issue is concerned. Indeed, he is well aware of the views of the disbelievers, hypocrites, and Zionists that surround us and pose a threat to the Muslim World. Because of this threat, he thought of establishing umbrellas for unity, such as Al-Quds International Institution, for all Muslim peoples and doctrines.

Such institutions are designed to serve as umbrellas for the liberation of Jerusalem by means of uniting efforts, uniting religions, and uniting the Muslim Ummah.

IOL: What do you have to say to alleviate the unease of the relations between Sunnis and Shiites? The Sunni public needs clear answers regarding a number of issues, such as the insults to the Companions, the policy of organized propagation of the Shiite doctrine, and the issue of the mushaf (copy of the Qur'an) of Fatimah?

Mohtashami: The way you ask about these issues is not right. In fact, both Sunnis and Shiites have different books of narration. It is also a fact that both types of books contain authentic, inauthentic, as well as fake reports. Given this, we should not adhere to a weak report narrated by an unreliable person from any side.

For example, some people think that some schools of thought are closer to Shiism, such as the Shafi`i school of thought whose reports are not accepted by other schools of thought. Likewise, some of our scholars regard some other Shiite scholars as going to extremes. They do not accept their views or the reports they narrate.

I am against cursing anyone, let alone the Companions.

The Shiites are not all the same, and their schools of thought are not the same. Similarly, the Sunnis do not have only one school of thought. There are different views and standpoints among the Sunnis themselves and among the Shiites themselves. Hence, it is not proper to make accusations against doctrines when there are different standpoints within each doctrine.

IOL: What is your personal opinion regarding some Shiites' cursing of the Companions?

Mohtashami: I am against cursing anyone, let alone the Companions. I regard this as prohibited.

IOL: Sheikh Shaltout (may Allah have mercy on him) issued a fatwa saying that a Sunni may perform his or her acts of worship in accordance with the Ja`fari school of thought. Do you have similar trends toward accepting the performance of acts of worship according to any other school of thought? Tell us about the efforts of rapprochement on the part of Shiites, especially in light of the issues we have raised.

Mohtashami: The highest religious reference in Iran, Imam Khamene'i [not to be confused with Khomeini], described Lady `A'ishah in a Friday sermon as the Mother of the Believers. He was criticized by some Shiites for this speech. However, as a supreme reference, he made a definitive statement, saying that Lady `A'ishah is the Mother of the Believers and that no one is allowed to insult the Mother of the Believers, otherwise a death fatwa would be issued against him or her. What can they possibly do beyond that?

IOL: Is it permissible for a Shiite to perform the acts of worship according to a Sunni school of thought, such as the Shafi`i and Maliki schools of thought?

Mohtashami: Anyone who is convinced that a certain school of thought falls under the umbrella of Islam may believe in it and implement its teachings, be it Shafi`i, Maliki, Hanbali, Hanafi, Ja`fari, or Zaidi; all of these are Muslim schools of thought. Some of our scholars hold the view that a Muslim is permitted to follow several references as far as the acts of worship are concerned; nothing is wrong with this. Indeed, the difference between Sunni schools of thought is a mercy, isn't it? And so is the difference between the Shiite schools of thought.

IOL: Some see that it is impossible to achieve rapprochement between Sunnis and Shiites. They present the term coexistence as an alternative. What is your opinion concerning this?

Mohtashami: In case those who hold this view think that it is the right one, then it is acceptable and nothing is wrong with that. This excellent opinion is not widely known. Coexistence is far better than conflict and enmity. However, this is not the view I personally hold. In addition, what the Imam was seeking to achieve is the unity of Muslims, and the way to this unity is rapprochement.

IOL: What are the efforts exerted by Shiite references toward rapprochement?

Mohtashami: I believe that many Shiite references are adopting the way of rapprochement, yet some of them express their viewpoints and write about their reactions to what they observe and what comes to their knowledge. This also applies to Sunni scholars: They are adopting the way of rapprochement and unification, and some of them also react.

IOL: What is your stance regarding the offensive statements about Sheikh Al-Qaradawi, which were recently published by an Iranian news agency? How do you see the position of the Iranian regime and Iranian references regarding these statements?

Mohtashami:
First, it is not a governmental news agency. It is based in Iran, and it has emerged all of a sudden without a license. It has an Internet website saying that it is a news agency, but it is not supervised by the government.

Furthermore, some of these news agencies report and publish topics and issues criticizing the government, the leadership, the regime, and even the Shiite beliefs. For instance, some news agency has recently published some topics that depreciate Imam Mahdi himself, whom Muslims in Iran believe in. The attitude of such news agencies is not accepted by our scholars and references.

Most importantly, none of our officials or governmental figures has ever made an affront. On the contrary, they denounced such a behavior. Besides, all problems can be solved through serious dialogue.

IOL: Do you find the accusations against Sheikh Al-Qaradawi false, especially the one claiming he has contacts with the Zionists?

Mohtashami:
A person who says such things is incited to do so by the Zionists.

IOL: Is it the politicians or the jurists that stand as an obstacle to rapprochement?

The shrine belongs to a person named Abu Lu'lu', not Abu Lu'lu'ah.

Mohtashami:
Politicians are generally not standing against rapprochement. But, those politicians and secularists who oppose religion are the opponents of rapprochement. That is because the strength of their trend lies in undermining the religious trend.

IOL: What kind of rapprochement can be reached at the time when a shrine for Abu Lu'lu'ah, the murderer of `Umar ibn Al-Khattab, exists in Iran?

Mohtashami: The shrine belongs to a person named Abu Lu'lu', not Abu Lu'lu'ah. He was a dervish who lived in the Sasan area. He and the person who killed `Umar ibn Al-Khattab are not the same. He lived in this area, and he was buried there 200 years ago. Such shrines of poets and dervishes are prevalent in Iran.

Some British scientists (you surely know that they adopt the divide and conquer approach) — came to Iran and spread rumors saying that this is the grave of Abu Lu'lu'ah, not Abu Lu'lu'. After that, His Eminence, the leader, issued a strict official decree stating that this shrine should be closed.

IOL: In the Sunni World, a new religious group appeared on the scene. It is called Tanzimat Aal Al-Bayt [organizations of the Prophet's Household] or Ru`at Aal-Al-Bayt [guardians of the Prophet's Household]. Do such groups have any relation with Iran?

Mohtashami: We have nothing to do with such organizations at all. We do not have anyone in Egypt who agrees with us or follows us.

IOL: Do you think that Arab Shiites should regard Iran as their religious and doctrinal reference? And shouldn't Iran stop this?

Mohtashami: A Muslim should follow a particular doctrine by adhering to the religious rulings he or she receives from the scholars of that doctrine. For example, the followers of the Maliki school of thought should take and implement the rulings on Prayer, fasting, Hajj, and so on, from a Maliki scholar.

IOL: It is said that there are no mosques for Sunnis in Tehran and that the Sunnis in Iran are treated as second-class citizens; what do you have to say about that?

Mohtashami: No matter where the Sunnis are in Iran, they have all their demands satisfied, and they enjoy their personal freedoms. Their places of worship, the foods they eat, and so on, are all available.

Furthermore, the judicial system in an area is established in line with the doctrine adopted by the majority there. Also, there are mosques for the Sunnis in Tehran. No one rejects the existence of Sunnis. On the contrary, even Shiites go to Sunni mosques and Sunnis go to Shiite mosques.

IOL: Do Sunnis have the right to vote?

Mohtashami: Let me tell you that in some predominantly Shiite areas, a Sunni candidate may win the election and be Member of Parliament because of the competition between Shiite candidates. Besides, six members of the Islamic Shura Council are Sunnis, despite the fact that Sunnis are a minority. However, no Sunni holds a ministerial post or a position in the leadership of Iran.

http://www.onislam.net/english/shariah/contemporary-issues/interviews-reviews-and-events/429989-mohtashami-cursing-the-companions-is-prohibited.html?Events=
Re: Hujjatul-islam Ali Akbar Mohtashami-pur: Cursing The Companions Is Prohibited by LagosShia: 12:26pm On Nov 20, 2012
^
Thanks Mac!

This is a very beautiful interview in line with the spirit of unity and rapproachment between Sunnis and Shia Muslims.

I have been screaning ever since that insult is haram against anyone.but no one wants to listen.in Islam,there is a difference between "insult" and "curse" which is translated as "la'nat".while "la'nat" is in accord with the Quran where even Allah (swt) sends la'nat on the disbelievers,insult is haram.furthermore in line with understanding of what offends other Muslims (Sunnis),the Shia is willing to give up sending la'nat on some past characters,Sunnis honor,for the sake of Muslim unity.the issue itself as you can see from the interview is not taken as seriously as Sunnis,particular the ones sowing strife, miscontrue it.the Shia are very open minded people and there are many Sunni scholars too that are close with the Shia all over the world in order to bring closeness.
Re: Hujjatul-islam Ali Akbar Mohtashami-pur: Cursing The Companions Is Prohibited by vedaxcool(m): 1:06pm On Nov 20, 2012
Re: Hujjatul-islam Ali Akbar Mohtashami-pur: Cursing The Companions Is Prohibited by BetaThings: 7:21am On Nov 23, 2012
maclatunji: By Ali Al-Halawani
Deputy Editor in Chief — English IslamOnline.net

This interview was conducted with Hujjatul-Islam Ali Akbar Mohtashami-Pur, former Iranian minister of interior, during the 6th Annual International Conference on Jerusalem held in Doha, Qatar, in October 2008.

http://www.onislam.net/english/shariah/contemporary-issues/interviews-reviews-and-events/429989-mohtashami-cursing-the-companions-is-prohibited.html?Events=

If this is to remind sunnis, I support it. If the objective is to educate sunnis on what Shias believe, don't bother. Shias switch between taqiyya and truth-telling modes, you don't know which is which
If you want Shias to benefit from this, it is equally pointless. They are so organised and respectful of hierarchy that it is inconceivable that anyone of them will break ranks and insult people without some backing. For instance, have you ever seen the Shias on Nairaland disagree?
I am sorry for being such a cynic
Re: Hujjatul-islam Ali Akbar Mohtashami-pur: Cursing The Companions Is Prohibited by maclatunji: 8:14am On Nov 23, 2012
BetaThings:

If this is to remind sunnis, I support it. If the objective is to educate sunnis on what Shias believe, don't bother. Shias switch between taqiyya and truth-telling modes, you don't know which is which
If you want Shias to benefit from this, it is equally pointless. They are so organised and respectful of hierarchy that it is inconceivable that anyone of them will break ranks and insult people without some backing. For instance, have you ever seen the Shias on Nairaland disagree?
I am sorry for being such a cynic

The man's word is good enough for me. I am not responsible for what people have in their hearts but at least I can hold on to their words.
Re: Hujjatul-islam Ali Akbar Mohtashami-pur: Cursing The Companions Is Prohibited by BetaThings: 8:50am On Nov 23, 2012
^^^^
Hahaha
Excellent attitude for long life
But risky (depending on individual focus though) when you are dealing with a long-term-oriented, patient and stealthy strategic group with an avowed agenda for domination
Re: Hujjatul-islam Ali Akbar Mohtashami-pur: Cursing The Companions Is Prohibited by maclatunji: 9:06am On Nov 23, 2012
BetaThings: ^^^^
Hahaha
Excellent attitude for long life
But risky (depending on individual focus though) when you are dealing with a long-term-oriented, patient and stealthy strategic group with an avowed agenda for domination

Allah's will shall always prevail.
Re: Hujjatul-islam Ali Akbar Mohtashami-pur: Cursing The Companions Is Prohibited by BetaThings: 9:10am On Nov 23, 2012
^^^^^^
Amin!
Cannot wish for anything better

(1) (Reply)

That Your Husband's Love For You Doesn't Go Sour / Detroit Mosque's Shia Imam Tackles Pastor Terry "the Lunatic" Jones / Who Is Marmaduke Pickthall?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.