Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,501 members, 7,819,818 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:42 AM

Doing E-Commerce from Nigeria (the 419 Stigma) - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Doing E-Commerce from Nigeria (the 419 Stigma) (5296 Views)

E-commerce Website Like & Konga.com Needed ASAP. / Equitorial Bank Website Used For Interswitch 419 Scam / Get Start With Your Own Google Checkout E-commerce Website (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Doing E-Commerce from Nigeria (the 419 Stigma) by joftech(m): 6:30pm On Aug 07, 2005
Yahoo Boyz + Oluwole = Nigeria's Dented Image (True/False)

It's really been hard trying to purchase stuffs from the Internet true legit means. Most bidding sites and online stores put stern warnings that bidders and buyers from AFRICA and most particularly NIGERIA are not allowed to participate embarassed.

What is your own suggested solution to this yahoo boyz stigma.
angry sad  cry cry cry
Re: Doing E-Commerce from Nigeria (the 419 Stigma) by obong(m): 7:01pm On Aug 07, 2005
there isnt a solution. government just has to control the bad PR from 419
Re: Doing E-Commerce from Nigeria (the 419 Stigma) by bijorium(m): 8:24pm On Aug 07, 2005
Well, if you ask me, I believe that it takes two to tango. The culpability of westerners is glaring too, seeing that many of them fall week after week to these scams(yahoo yahoo). A bad case of reaping where you did not sow. While I am against conning another man of his hard earned foreign currency, I think that some of these westerners ought to look into their own greed. angry

As for Oluwole, It has been in existence longer than I can remember. And sad as it is, it is a reflection of the rottenness in societal values  undecided

We may have to live with the stigma for a while though. I stand to be counted that there are honest Nigerians out there though. grin
Re: Doing E-Commerce from Nigeria (the 419 Stigma) by Seun(m): 1:19am On Aug 08, 2005
I understand what you mean by 'yahoo boys', but what is 'Oluwole'?
Re: Doing E-Commerce from Nigeria (the 419 Stigma) by joftech(m): 5:46am On Aug 08, 2005
@Seun, if you don't know Oluwole, it means maybe you are not in Nigeria o. embarassed shocked Or are you deceiving us that you are in Ogun State?

Even that former disgraced House of Rep Speaker is a client of Oluwole. (Hope u get me.)

Anyway i don't think all the foreigners need to know what Oluwole is, i always try to limit the number of hits that google will bring out on 419 and scam on Nigeria, the best way to do this is to use "Naija terms".

PM me or anyone on Nairaland from Nigeria for the meaning of Oluwole.
Re: Doing E-Commerce from Nigeria (the 419 Stigma) by Seun(m): 2:06pm On Aug 08, 2005
According to an anonymous source, "Oluwole an area in Lagos where documents like passports, money orders, certificates, company letter-headed papers are creatively doctored. As a resuly of this, this name is now synonymous with document forgery. Hence Oluwole = document forging."
Re: Doing E-Commerce from Nigeria (the 419 Stigma) by obong(m): 2:34pm On Aug 08, 2005
you should have PMed him
Re: Doing E-Commerce from Nigeria (the 419 Stigma) by Seun(m): 2:55pm On Aug 08, 2005
Why?
Re: Doing E-Commerce from Nigeria (the 419 Stigma) by joftech(m): 3:01pm On Aug 08, 2005
I think as Obasanjos is fighting the evil epidemic of corruption in the country, he should also try and improve the PR on Nigeria regarding online fraud. Most of the reasons why foreigners see Nigeria as a corrupt nation is not necessarily the issue of all the money that the millitary and the present politicians are stealing, they are referring to Nigeria's online image, afterall what concerns them with our internal economy.

If Mr. Prez can at least shut down all those sites that have now make it their point of duty to dent Nigerias image the more it will be a good thing.

But will this ever be possible!
Re: Doing E-Commerce from Nigeria (the 419 Stigma) by IAH(f): 4:40pm On Aug 08, 2005
Seun, thanks for making the meaning of Oluwole known to us jare.
Re: Doing E-Commerce from Nigeria (the 419 Stigma) by fataiiyo(m): 7:39pm On Aug 08, 2005
[I hope that] Government can stop these bad habits [of some Nigerians] on the net, because it's really a disgrace to
our country. But one cannot tell that he or she is from Nigeria, so how are we going to stop that rubbish?

Editor: Severely edited and even reconstructed
Re: Doing E-Commerce from Nigeria (the 419 Stigma) by angelak(f): 3:48pm On Aug 09, 2005
Thank God for the Nigerian Cybercrime Working Group (NCWG), which was set up by the President to address this issue of cyber fraud. Hopefully with time, investors will feel safe to invest in Nigeria. grin
Re: Doing E-Commerce from Nigeria (the 419 Stigma) by kazey(m): 7:14pm On Aug 10, 2005
This is a very interesting topic. I really don't know where to start.

OK firstly comment on posts. heheheh.

joftech:

Solutions? Well honestly the issue on the yahoo boyz stigma wouldn't exist in the first place, if the internet cafe owners, have been monitoring their logs. I think Seun once blogged on how awww.afriguru.com/2004/scammer-caught.html+afriguru+internet+cafe"> cafe admin got a scammer arrested. Read it and you would get to understand that the Internet cafes can play an important role in combarting such crimes.

obong:

there isn't a solution. government just has to control the bad PR from 419

Whatelse do you need the government to do? We all want the government to provide every single services. Are Nigerians government babies?

I really don't think so.

bijorium:

A bad case of reaping where you did not sow. While I am against conning another man of his hard earned foreign currency, I think that some of these westerners ought to look into their own greed. angry

Yes you are very right about that, but a lot of Westerners wouldn't agree to that. They claim that, the victims shouldn't exist if Nigerians are honest at the beginning. It doesn't work that way. It is wrong just as you mentioned. You need to check my arguments with the Westerners on Quatloosi (An Internet Forum for combating internet crimes), and you would understand what i mean.

joftech:

If Mr. Prez can at least shut down all those sites that have now make it their point of duty to dent Nigerias image the more it will be a good thing.

Well i would say charity begins at home. Tell all the Nigerian journalists, especially those based abroad to start doing something about their articles in relation to Nigerian problems. They should write articles to promote Nigerian cultures, entertainment and fashion industries etc, Not articles that would add to the damage. Yes Nigerians do have a long way to go, but shouldn't we also do our part? How many Ghanaian journalist have you seen blogging on the bad aspect of Ghana?

Deji-J:

Regarding the above thread, the only solution to our trading on-line issues is Nigerians trying to build their reputation abroad. By not always trying to use stolen credit card details to shop on-line. Retailers have now wised up, and would not deal with Nigerians.

I guess you answered your own opinion, but let me add to it. Nigeria has no recordable records in terms of Using Stolen Credit Cards on-line. Infact compared to most Western countries, we do not exist at all. Please Google for more information. Nigerian fraudulent activities are limited to mail scams, and fake payments, using bidpay etc. Not credit cards smiley

Well I think the only solution is to start volunteering in combating the crimes. Most people know the guys involved in such activities, but they think its non of their business. They might be your friends, neighbor's, colleagues. I would encourage educating them on the damages they are likely to cause. And to the cafe owners please "Shine your eyes well well". You do play an important role.
Re: Doing E-Commerce from Nigeria (the 419 Stigma) by joftech(m): 8:22pm On Aug 10, 2005
Internet cafes can play an important role in combarting such crimes.

@Kazey, it's true that internet cafes can play some role in combating these frauds, but i want you to know that it's almost 100% imposssible to determine what people are doing on the internet with an Internet cafe's facilities. When you look at the ethical part of the whole show it's very wrong for an internet cafe operator to be sniffing network connections from customers terminal this is purely evading people's privacy, how about if what they are doing are legitimate. What that guy in Seun's article did is very very wrong shocked.

When you also consider the fact that most of the mail clients that people in Nigeria use are web based i wonder how you will be sniffing http connections, although this is possible but it's not as easy as monitoring a dedicated mail port.

The bad image that Nigeria has been able to garner is most largely due to the activities of some unscrupulous beings who has now turn the 419 saga into their means of livelihood, these idiots include operators of the following sites and their variants: www.419eaters.com, www.ebolamonkey.com, www.quatloos.com, www.quatloosia.com.

Until these idiots are forced to shutdown all these sites, Nigeria will continue to get a bad name.

Of what use is being a good guy when people still see and call you a bad name despite your change of character!
Re: Doing E-Commerce from Nigeria (the 419 Stigma) by kazey(m): 8:29pm On Aug 10, 2005
Well we need reasons to get the sites shut down, and I think we dont have any , except for the fact that their blaberrings is damaging Nigerian's reputation grin
Re: Doing E-Commerce from Nigeria (the 419 Stigma) by bioye(m): 7:25pm On Aug 12, 2005
obong:

there isnt a solution. government just has to control the bad PR from 419

Sincerely, the solution to internet scams is rather very simple. The internet keeps so much records of people's activities via ip addresses, the email addies used, the Internet Service Providers, the Cyber Cafes, and the Phone numbers for dialup users.

And many of us know these yahoo yahoo boys; They try as much as possible to get noticed. I can bet if we all start reporting these people to the EFCC etc, they would do as much as they can to arrest these people starting from the most menacing.

But the social question is: would you give away your close friend or close relative just like that?
Re: Doing E-Commerce from Nigeria (the 419 Stigma) by Seun(m): 8:03pm On Aug 12, 2005
I would, but it's really not necessary. Most of these 419ers are not very discreet because they see Nigeria as a lawless countries - their cybercafe operators, classmates, neighbours, et cetera know what they are up to, and are in a position to report. (I know a UNILAG student that talks about a classmate who does fraud and cruises around campus in his benz during the day; but no-one bothers to report).
Re: Doing E-Commerce from Nigeria (the 419 Stigma) by kazey(m): 11:34pm On Aug 12, 2005
I love that country sha. Everybody minds his or her own business. Nigeria our Nigeria grin
Re: Doing E-Commerce from Nigeria (the 419 Stigma) by joftech(m): 9:21am On Aug 13, 2005
Sincerely, the solution to internet scams is rather very simple. The internet keeps so much records of people's activities via ip addresses, the email addies used, the Internet Service Providers, the Cyber Cafes, and the Phone numbers for dialup users.

the above stated solution can't work due to some technical limitations, there's no way you can track a user that is using a proxy server for his/her connection.

one of the major problem that i have discovered is that most of the people may want to buy things from the web but since credit cards are not readily available to them so they resort to getting one by any means.

I hope the proposed national ID card that they said will also serve as a credit card will see the light of the day.
Re: Doing E-Commerce from Nigeria (the 419 Stigma) by deal4real: 2:27pm On Aug 14, 2006
It's really been hard trying to purchase stuffs from the Internet true legit means. Most bidding sites and online stores put stern warnings that bidders and buyers from AFRICA and most particularly NIGERIA are not allowed to participate .

Is true, even here in Holland. A dutch online marketplace were people buy and sell has banned Nigerians. You see advertisements of mobile phones and in the subject written: No shipping to Nigeria!
Anyway, that is why we decided something must be done. We are working hard to launch our website www.2deal4real.com as from october. We are serious! The website will be both for Naija's at home, but also in diaspora. Our goal is to bring sellers and buyers together, no matter where they are. Since it seems we are not welcome to most online marketplaces, soon we will have our own! The best thing: Most of our services will be for free. And we are promising you: there is easy acces for everone!

Re: Doing E-Commerce from Nigeria (the 419 Stigma) by myg3: 10:16pm On Jun 20, 2009
Your nation is considered the third most corrupt nation in the world (after Iraq and Somalia - and Somalia doesn't even have a govt).

The best solution would be to nuke your country as warning.
Re: Doing E-Commerce from Nigeria (the 419 Stigma) by mikidude: 6:17pm On Oct 10, 2010
People who fall for online scams are incredibly stupid. Don't let the whole country suffer just of some dishonest people. For the meantime however we have no choice but to wait until the government cracks these bad eggs and surely we will recover from the unfair stigma. I guess that is the reason why until now we still have no Paypal service in Nigeria. Lets work together on this problem. Report frauds to authorities.

Miki
www.buyandsellng.com Free Classified ad posting website.
Re: Doing E-Commerce from Nigeria (the 419 Stigma) by bug24(m): 11:00pm On Oct 10, 2010
who dis-buried this thread'? cool
Re: Doing E-Commerce from Nigeria (the 419 Stigma) by asamuel: 7:08pm On Nov 15, 2010
visit kalahari nigeria website for all your online purchases. It's the best out there.
Re: Doing E-Commerce from Nigeria (the 419 Stigma) by santiago(m): 2:52pm On Jun 14, 2012
Haveyou guys heard of buynownow - www.buynownow.com , they are genuine
Re: Doing E-Commerce from Nigeria (the 419 Stigma) by mrperfect(m): 11:09pm On Jun 14, 2012
This is sad for the country.
Re: Doing E-Commerce from Nigeria (the 419 Stigma) by chrishenzo: 12:01am On Jun 15, 2012
That is why we always recommend people(both buyers and sellers) to use Chrisvicmall Platform (www.chrisvicmall.com) to do all their e-commerce transactions. You don't even need a credit card to purchase any item around the world.

It makes you feel sad when you come across such website that restrict Nigerians from buying from their website but I think one of the main reason they are doing that is that Nigeria doesn't have a lot of internet online buyers.

The population of online scammers in China makes those of Nigeria look like childish play yet many websites still welcome people from China to buy from their website since they still make much profit and there are many online buyers.

Sites like Paypal, Ebay, Amazon, etc will open up when there is a great competition from a website that allows Nigeria. First that will monitor the site closely, if the site starts getting famous, they will start accepting Nigeria in order to get their open piece of cake.
Re: Doing E-Commerce from Nigeria (the 419 Stigma) by incomeboostng: 9:48am On Nov 04, 2016
bug24:
who dis-buried this thread'? cool
Hehehe
Re: Doing E-Commerce from Nigeria (the 419 Stigma) by tck2000(m): 11:45am On Jun 28, 2019
EfCC monitoring all account

(1) (Reply)

Everything you need to know about Blogging/website + Google adsense In Nigeria / 3 Core factors That Affects Your Website's Loading Time / Asp Vs Php Vs Coldfusion Vs Jsp ''who's Da Best

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.