Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,762 members, 7,817,105 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:52 AM

Soldiers Flog Abuja University Students Out Of Hostel - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Soldiers Flog Abuja University Students Out Of Hostel (11168 Views)

Non-Academic Staff Lock Entrances To UNICAL, Flog CSO / Ekiti State University Students Rioting Now In Epe, Lagos. / What Are Your Experiences Of Hostel Accommodation/life? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Soldiers Flog Abuja University Students Out Of Hostel by Ptimes: 9:53am On Nov 22, 2012
Soldiers on Wednesday morning stormed the hostels of students of the University of Abuja, whipping the students out of their rooms.

Reports say that the University authorities had on Tuesday ordered all students to vacate their hostels before 6.00a.m. after ordering the closure of the institution.

The university authorities shut down the school following protests by students against the non-accreditation of some courses of the university. The students protested against the school’s inability to secure accreditation of certain programmes like Engineering courses.

A female student of Philosophy department told PREMIUM TIMES that the students were asked to vacate the campus by 6a.m. on Wednesday by the authorities.

She said by 10a.m., soldiers came into the female hostels, began to flog them and went to ahead to smash their phones.

“Yesterday students were asked to leave by 6a.m. today. And when the soldiers came this morning at about 10a.m. they started flogging students out of the hostel with whips,” she said. “Even those that were not in the hostel when they came but still had their bags inside the hostel, were flogged mercilessly before they were allowed to go pack their things from the hostel,” she added.

The soldiers were reportedly invited to the institution by the University Vice Chancellor, something common with university authorities in Nigeria who call on soldiers to quell students’ protests or activities.

Efforts by PREMIUM TIMES to reach the school authorities were futile as the school’s Vice Chancellor, James Adelabu, did not pick his calls or reply text messages sent to him.

http://premiumtimesng.com/news/108123-soldiers-flog-abuja-university-students-out-of-hostel.html
Re: Soldiers Flog Abuja University Students Out Of Hostel by k2039: 10:01am On Nov 22, 2012
This is what I call abuse of power.
Re: Soldiers Flog Abuja University Students Out Of Hostel by honeric01(m): 10:21am On Nov 22, 2012
Animal kingdom!

12 Likes

Re: Soldiers Flog Abuja University Students Out Of Hostel by obongtunji: 10:36am On Nov 22, 2012
But come to think of it,the school authorities asked the students to vacate their hostels after the closure of the institution, what are they still doing in their hostels. Why is it that we don't like following Orders until we are forced? If they had vacated, there wouldn't have been need to bring solders to force them out. For me, I don't have issue with what the solders did. Let us learn to respect authorities. You can not rule if you don't follow rules...........lop

9 Likes

Re: Soldiers Flog Abuja University Students Out Of Hostel by otokx(m): 11:34am On Nov 22, 2012
obongtunji: But come to think of it,the school authorities asked the students to vacate their hostels after the closure of the institution, what are they still doing in their hostels. Why is it that we don't like following Orders until we are forced? If they had vacated, there wouldn't have been need to bring solders to force them out. For me, I don't have issue with what the solders did. Let us learn to respect authorities. You can not rule if you don't follow rules...........lop

good question
Re: Soldiers Flog Abuja University Students Out Of Hostel by k2039: 11:37am On Nov 22, 2012
obongtunji: But come to think of it,the school authorities asked the students to vacate their hostels after the closure of the institution, what are they still doing in their hostels. Why is it that we don't like following Orders until we are forced? If they had vacated, there wouldn't have been need to bring solders to force them out. For me, I don't have issue with what the solders did. Let us learn to respect authorities. You can not rule if you don't follow rules...........lop
And didnt you read that some came back to pack their stuffs.
Or you think it was right for the school to just give them few hrs notice,bearing in mind that some of them dont have relatives,probably expecting their parents to send flight ticket ect.
I could go on and on,but it doesnt stop the fact that the VC and soldiers abused the power bestowed upon them.

Think about it,do they really have to beat them to prove a point and force them to leave the hostel.

Their presence alone is enough,if not that some people just derive pleasure in making some people uncormfortable,mtchew.

16 Likes

Re: Soldiers Flog Abuja University Students Out Of Hostel by BelloDare: 11:39am On Nov 22, 2012
D vc children are schooling abroad so he can afford to treat other children anyhow naa!
Re: Soldiers Flog Abuja University Students Out Of Hostel by valdubem(m): 11:39am On Nov 22, 2012

though what d soldiers did was wrong, but that is the only language Nigerians understand. FORCE
Re: Soldiers Flog Abuja University Students Out Of Hostel by otokx(m): 11:40am On Nov 22, 2012
@k2039

they will always come back to pack their stuff
Re: Soldiers Flog Abuja University Students Out Of Hostel by Arosa(m): 11:41am On Nov 22, 2012
Why send soldiers to oust students? It seems that the Nigerian soldier have too much time on their hands. They should be sent to Mali to fight a Qaeda instead.

1 Like

Re: Soldiers Flog Abuja University Students Out Of Hostel by k2039: 11:44am On Nov 22, 2012
otokx: @k2039

they will always come back to pack their stuff
So they are just suppose to head out of the hostel without securing where they will stay and I hope you know theirs stuff could be burguled.

2 Likes

Re: Soldiers Flog Abuja University Students Out Of Hostel by alyarmouk(m): 11:45am On Nov 22, 2012
and no one is saying anything....wish twas when i was with the NANS there...no body for pass abuja lokoja road that day. stupid vc with ear problem.
Re: Soldiers Flog Abuja University Students Out Of Hostel by valdubem(m): 11:50am On Nov 22, 2012
alyarmouk: and no one is saying anything....wish twas when i was with the NANS there...no body for pass abuja lokoja road that day. stupid vc with ear problem.

for ur small mind
Re: Soldiers Flog Abuja University Students Out Of Hostel by Iaz93: 11:50am On Nov 22, 2012
alyarmouk: and no one is saying anything....wish twas when i was with the NANS there...no body for pass abuja lokoja road that day. stupid vc with ear problem.
Lmao! Naso jorh...
Re: Soldiers Flog Abuja University Students Out Of Hostel by lolaluv1(f): 11:54am On Nov 22, 2012
Students should have complied with the directive to avoid hot koboko.

It is in cases like this you hear of students being mistakenly killed by 'accidental discharge'.

He who fights and leaves quietly, lives to fight another day. Those that have lost their lives to these cruel uniformed peeps, cannot bring change from the grave. Not in Nigeria anyway.
Soldiers can be heartless and contact with them must be avoided as much as possible, to avoid being a victim.

I remember when my school gave such orders. They brought the directive 5.00 in the morning, that we were to leave by 4.00 that afternoon, else, they were bringing in MOPOL. So much of my stuff became missing because I had to distribute them everywhere. But I left. You don't play 10-10 with a mad man. I repeat: not in a country like Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Soldiers Flog Abuja University Students Out Of Hostel by pak: 11:55am On Nov 22, 2012

otokx:

good question

You sound like barbarians.

The school authority announced on Tuesday that students should vacate hostels before 6:00am on Wednesday morning.
I guess you did not think that it is actually not feasible for ALL students to have the means of leaving the hostel within a couple of hours. Is it not just rational to expect that within that short period some might have challenges financially, healthwise, some might not even have been around at that time (hence the need to come back for the load).

And even if the student refused to leave the hostel within the stipulated time. Does it sound rational and proper in your estimation that soldiers be sent to FLOG female students out of campus some few hours after the deadline expired.
(Maybe you might even be happier if the soldiers had shot them down, since they didn't 'learn to follow rules' . smh)

Are they BOKO Haram ?
Are they Militants ?
Are they involved Guerilla warfare or something

If this story is true and accurate then I consider it as another example of how barbaric and senseless we can be as a people and I suggest that those involved in this dastardly act (VC et al) should be made to face the music

8 Likes

Re: Soldiers Flog Abuja University Students Out Of Hostel by 50calibre(m): 11:55am On Nov 22, 2012
What's up with this Nigerian army and flogging of civilians? In many other countries, the army has no business with civilians, as a matter of fact the army are loved, cherished and respected whereas in Nigeria, the army is ill-trained, ill-equipped, senseless, coward and illeterate.

All the army knows how to do is prey on the weak and defenseless whom they are supposed to be protecting and defending.

That's how one army man almost flogged me in front of my babe just because I parked in front of barracks.

I weep for that country

2 Likes

Re: Soldiers Flog Abuja University Students Out Of Hostel by Sunymoore(m): 11:58am On Nov 22, 2012
Wow chaii. Mora high
Re: Soldiers Flog Abuja University Students Out Of Hostel by TableLeg(m): 11:58am On Nov 22, 2012
SMH ... What a country!
Re: Soldiers Flog Abuja University Students Out Of Hostel by otokx(m): 11:59am On Nov 22, 2012
pak:

You sound like barbarians.

The school authority announced on Tuesday that students should vacate hostels by 6:00am on wednesday

The wise ones left a long time ago and did not bother waiting for the announcement
Re: Soldiers Flog Abuja University Students Out Of Hostel by VirginFinder: 11:59am On Nov 22, 2012
Nigerians are headstrong.

Force is what we understand.
Re: Soldiers Flog Abuja University Students Out Of Hostel by kehindesalisu: 12:00pm On Nov 22, 2012
ALIEN NATION
Re: Soldiers Flog Abuja University Students Out Of Hostel by slimchimex(m): 12:01pm On Nov 22, 2012
i hate dis country...smh

1 Like

Re: Soldiers Flog Abuja University Students Out Of Hostel by Nobody: 12:03pm On Nov 22, 2012

Soldiers on Wednesday morning stormed the hostels of students of the University of Abuja, whipping the students out of their rooms.

who let the dogs out?!! shocked shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: Soldiers Flog Abuja University Students Out Of Hostel by Csami(m): 12:03pm On Nov 22, 2012
And una revolt for this kind country? Na death warrant some people dey find.
Re: Soldiers Flog Abuja University Students Out Of Hostel by Nobody: 12:03pm On Nov 22, 2012
maybe some of the students are homeless ? or have bad situations at home.
Re: Soldiers Flog Abuja University Students Out Of Hostel by brownlord: 12:04pm On Nov 22, 2012

Read ur post and see how silly you are, so you mean few hours is enough for students to pck their load out of the hostel, what if they have no where to love their load to that night, what if they have to travel home with their belongings and some of them do not reside within abuja, what if they have no money to vacate the hostel immediately, my friend think with ur brain

2 Likes

Re: Soldiers Flog Abuja University Students Out Of Hostel by waice6571: 12:06pm On Nov 22, 2012
How possible do think it is for everyone to vacate d hostel as early as that? when many of them will be waiting for thier parent for pick -up while some will que for hours at ATM cash point and some looking for where to borrow t fare. abeg, na abuse of power dat act be!
had it been the sch authourity has done what is expected of them, will there crisis at all?

1 Like

Re: Soldiers Flog Abuja University Students Out Of Hostel by fredopayee(m): 12:07pm On Nov 22, 2012
Na wa ooo.. Anyway, its only lolxx I can say for nw.
Re: Soldiers Flog Abuja University Students Out Of Hostel by malc619(m): 12:09pm On Nov 22, 2012
Our soldiers have lost their value.....

Bunch of thugs...... undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Soldiers Flog Abuja University Students Out Of Hostel by OkwaIfugo(m): 12:12pm On Nov 22, 2012
na by force.
Re: Soldiers Flog Abuja University Students Out Of Hostel by eldoradoxx: 12:12pm On Nov 22, 2012
I wept for University of Abuja(my alma mater) the day few weeks to my graduation from that University,when I heard that Prof, James Sunday Adelabu had become a VC. He is a product of last ASSU strike for full autonomy, where the federal government accepted Assu's decision to allow schools choose their VC. I don't knw the politics they palyed in that University to churn out Prof Adelabu, the most incompetent administrator I have ever know, as VC. I have known the man very well, he was once dragging my girl friend with me,even as a lecturer and then a DVC academics. His role as head admission committee around 2005 was all full of scandal, corruption. I very gud friend of mine, then about 18 confessed to me how she was violated by this same stupid man all because she wanted admission desperately and couldn't pay. He is a chronice failure that beds small girls enof to be his grand daughters in his office in broad day light, it was notorious when we were stil in school. For such a man with serious tainted open record both administratively and morally to become a VC speaks volume for where the school has plummeted into. His precedecessor Prof Nuhu Yakubu Omeiza, like him or hate him was a strict disciplinarian, worked hard to raise the infrastructure in the school's permanent site. I am living next door neighbour with an Engineer in one of the construction firms handling projects at the permanent site, he has been complaining bitter that since Adelabu became VC, many projects have been abandoned or contractors hugely owed,yet this university the last report of visitation says has up to 7 billion in its account. Yet the perm site which was founded to be the pride of university in africa has little or nothing happening since he came. Close to 3 years as VC he has not deemed it necessary to complete the accreditation of Medicine, engineering, Vet Medic etc! What is wrong with that idiota of a VC. Fed should remove that failure.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Is Life ,while Studying At Middlesex University Mauritius Campus. / NANS Threatens Massive Protest Over Insecurity In Abia, Endless Strike (Video) / University Of Ado-ekiti "admission Stuffs,update,post Utme Info"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.