Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,113 members, 7,814,908 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:53 PM

The Significance Of Black Friday Shopping In USA - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / The Significance Of Black Friday Shopping In USA (7995 Views)

Genocide Of Black Libyans In Tawergha - Humanrightsinvestigations.org / South Africa Goes Shopping In Nigeria (watch The Space) / Britain: The Rise And Rise Of Black Business (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Significance Of Black Friday Shopping In USA by onyxo76(m): 9:12am On Nov 23, 2012
I just watched a report on CNN this morning on a concept called "black Friday" shopping which I learnt takes place a day after thanksgiving. I saw a lot of pushing and shoving as well as lots of ugly scenes taking place in shopping malls. For those of you resident in the states please can you share your experience and further enlighten us on what this is all about. Is going through all that trouble worth it?
Re: The Significance Of Black Friday Shopping In USA by kerrybruice: 1:02pm On Nov 23, 2012
It is very interesting when you have the experience.
Re: The Significance Of Black Friday Shopping In USA by Akbee(m): 1:14pm On Nov 23, 2012
Ayaya
Re: The Significance Of Black Friday Shopping In USA by bknight: 1:20pm On Nov 23, 2012
Same black friday? When corrupt gold/stocks dealers sabotaged/ manipulated d markets resulting in loss of investors' resources? Oh they mark it? shocked
Re: The Significance Of Black Friday Shopping In USA by Nobody: 1:23pm On Nov 23, 2012
onyxo76: I just watched a report on CNN this morning on a concept called "black Friday" shopping which I learnt takes place a day after thanksgiving. I saw a lot of pushing and shoving as well as lots of ugly scenes taking place in shopping malls. For those of you resident in the states please can you share your experience and further enlighten us on what this is all about. Is going through all that trouble worth it?
"Black Friday" is another religious/social gimmick by capitalists to rip people off.

3 Likes

Re: The Significance Of Black Friday Shopping In USA by JeSoul(f): 1:24pm On Nov 23, 2012
The word 'black' in the phrase black Friday is a play on words - companies that may have been in the 'red' (losing money or not making a profit all year) can in one day sell enough to send their books to the 'black' (profit).

Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Friday_(shopping)
Black Friday is the name given to the day following Thanksgiving Day in the United States, traditionally the beginning of the Christmas shopping season. On this day, most major retailers open extremely early and offer promotional sales to kick off the holiday shopping season, similar to Boxing Day sales in many Commonwealth Nations. Black Friday is not an official holiday, but many non-retail employers also observe this day as a holiday along with Thanksgiving, giving their employees the day off, thereby increasing the number of potential shoppers. It has routinely been the busiest shopping day of the year since 2005,[1] although news reports, which at that time were inaccurate,[2] have described it as the busiest shopping day of the year for a much longer period of time.[3]
The day's name originated in Philadelphia, where it originally was used to describe the heavy and disruptive pedestrian and vehicle traffic which would occur on the day after Thanksgiving.[4][5] Use of the term started before 1961 and began to see broader use outside Philadelphia around 1975. Later an alternative explanation began to be offered: that "Black Friday" indicates the point at which retailers begin to turn a profit, or are "in the black".

As for my personal experience...I can't deal with the hassle of the crowds let alone waiting in line for hours (in freezing cold weather here up north)just to save some money. All this may be worth it if you're buying something expensive like an HDTV or computer gadget that may be on sale for hundreds of dollars off- if you're willing to deal with pushing crowds & cold weather & long wait times - not me lol. . I usually go Friday morning (I'm about to go now self lol), there's generally good sales that last till 12noon. Plus 'Cyber monday' (online version of black Friday) also has deals that rival those in-store these days. Retailers are seeing more and more benefit & savings encouraging shoppers to stay home and do their shopping online

2 Likes

Re: The Significance Of Black Friday Shopping In USA by Nobody: 1:25pm On Nov 23, 2012
Fighting to spend their money on things they'll throw away come spring cleaning. Because its on SALE!!!!!!
Some buy to give as gifts during christmas.
I don't live in the US btw.
Re: The Significance Of Black Friday Shopping In USA by masterpiecer(m): 1:41pm On Nov 23, 2012
prices are usually very low and it increases number of sales made, trust naija, it can never be done here, even 4 1hr
Re: The Significance Of Black Friday Shopping In USA by fittty(m): 1:49pm On Nov 23, 2012
Black friday shocked

Sent from my white 64GB iphone5® wireless handheld just bought on black friday.

1 Like

Re: The Significance Of Black Friday Shopping In USA by Nobody: 2:00pm On Nov 23, 2012
So what is the significance of Black Friday shopping in Nigeria?

2 Likes

Re: The Significance Of Black Friday Shopping In USA by Palin: 2:03pm On Nov 23, 2012
Black Friday is a good time to have great deals on many items. Infact those deals are unbelievable to comprehend, for example in the case of Walmart.
Here's how it works: If you're inside Walmart on Thanksgiving night between 10 p.m. and 11 p.m., you are guaranteed an Apple iPad 16GB with Wi-Fi for $399 with a $75 Walmart gift card, Emerson 32" 720p LCD TV for $148 and a LG Blu-ray player for $38. If they sell out during that hour, you will get a guarantee card for any of those three items, but you must pay for them by midnight, and you can only get one of each item.
Re: The Significance Of Black Friday Shopping In USA by Nobody: 2:21pm On Nov 23, 2012
low price on high price of goods which will yield increase in sales of goods....it is celebrated just 4 a day...if u wanna have a great deal for a lowest price,then u hv no options than to opt for black friday,be it online or shopping malls.....happy celebration my fellas
Re: The Significance Of Black Friday Shopping In USA by Nobody: 2:24pm On Nov 23, 2012
[size=25pt]Black Friday: Because only in America people trample each other for sales exactly one day after being thankful for what they have. smh[/size]

6 Likes

Re: The Significance Of Black Friday Shopping In USA by scopusng(m): 3:07pm On Nov 23, 2012
I dey Naija but I don purchase enough items today for US shops through online. Dem cheap die. Been planning for today for 6 months now.Thank God
Re: The Significance Of Black Friday Shopping In USA by Nobody: 3:12pm On Nov 23, 2012
I don't have the power to explain it so I brought wikipedia to y'all. It's the day when many things become ridiculously cheap because they are on sale.

Black Friday is the day following Thanksgiving Day in the United States, traditionally the beginning of the Christmas shopping season. On this day, most major retailers open extremely early and offer promotional sales to kick off the holiday shopping season, similar to Boxing Day sales in many Commonwealth Nations. Black Friday is not an official holiday, but many non-retail employers also observe this day as a holiday along with Thanksgiving, giving their employees the day off, thereby increasing the number of potential shoppers. It has routinely been the busiest shopping day of the year since 2005,[1] although news reports, which at that time were inaccurate,[2] have described it as the busiest shopping day of the year for a much longer period of time
Re: The Significance Of Black Friday Shopping In USA by KayDee4: 3:31pm On Nov 23, 2012
Black Friday shopping from the comfort of my living room. No time for the crazy crowd outside.
Re: The Significance Of Black Friday Shopping In USA by abohrandy: 3:33pm On Nov 23, 2012
scopusng: I dey Naija but I don purchase enough items today for US shops through online. Dem cheap die. Been planning for today for 6 months now.Thank God

like seriously undecided undecided undecided
Re: The Significance Of Black Friday Shopping In USA by blunderass01: 3:54pm On Nov 23, 2012
That's Cramp, What sort of believe is that?
Re: The Significance Of Black Friday Shopping In USA by manny4life(m): 5:08pm On Nov 23, 2012
Brand_new:
"Black Friday" is another religious/social gimmick by capitalists to rip people off.

LOL, I have to agree with you. Shoot, I slept off nicely in the low 30's weather rather than go pushing/shoving each other. A lot of folks have been hurt or even killed on Black Friday.
Re: The Significance Of Black Friday Shopping In USA by MsOluchi: 5:11pm On Nov 23, 2012
Black Friday is sooo overated! i went last year for the first time and i swore that would be my last too. They just put very few things on sale and most of them are items that are not popular, then you see people scrambling and buying things that they never even wanted. The camera i bought last year during black Friday spoilt after i used it twice. Its not worth the hype and stress at all!
Re: The Significance Of Black Friday Shopping In USA by Nobody: 5:11pm On Nov 23, 2012
Black Friday is one of the dumbest days in the US, if not the dumbest. I hate it very much and refuse to partake in it. I never have, thank goodness. It has severely depreciated the meaning of thanksgiving. Rather than for people to enjoy their time with family, cook a large feast, and enjoy themselves, they eat a quick meal and camp in front of stores. That's if they eat any thanksgiving meal at all.

My cousin was in a car accident two years ago because she fell asleep on the road while driving to Best Buy at 3am. She was hospitalized for days. People have been seriously injured and/or killed because of vicious mobs and stampedes in the name of lower Xbox and television prices. If I were dictator president, I would have all stores closed on the Friday following thanksgiving, since people don't know how to be civilized and cherish what they already have.

Black Friday is all about saving money if you're a shopper, and making money if you're a business. Money money money. It's ridiculous. There's no reason why Target and other stores should be opening at 8pm on thanksgiving. The worst part is that stores keep opening earlier and earlier to outdo competition. They used to open at midnight. Some Target and Walmart employees had to go to work as early as 3pm on thanksgiving day to prepare for the night. Smh.

2 Likes

Re: The Significance Of Black Friday Shopping In USA by koolkamzzy(m): 6:33pm On Nov 23, 2012
Just ordered an iphone 4 and BlackBerry Bold 5 for more than 40% lesser when compared to the original price prior to the "Black Friday sales" on Amazon via CircuitAtlantic. (I hope the quality is still same though).

I wonder why people in the US go to queue up in front of stores when I'm right here in Nig enjoying same benefit via online shopping smiley
Re: The Significance Of Black Friday Shopping In USA by Ugo17: 6:42pm On Nov 23, 2012
Kay-Dee:
Black Friday shopping from the comfort of my living room. No time for the crazy crowd outside.

I SWEAR DOWN MAITE... wink
Re: The Significance Of Black Friday Shopping In USA by Nobody: 7:13pm On Nov 23, 2012
Mehn Any one here knows any online shop in USA i can shop from that ships to Nigeria
Re: The Significance Of Black Friday Shopping In USA by armyofone(m): 8:45pm On Nov 23, 2012
the whole thing is crazy but fun. I just watched on CNN as one woman fell down, she grabbed her fallen wig and was trying to put the wig back on as other rushed ahead..phew i laughed with turkeyfilled mouth.

I went shopping for one nice boot and some pink nightwear cheesy...no rushing in this mil store. The store is so packed!! shocked shocked

As I walked out, I can only thank God the economy is imroving and people are shopping anyhow, forget fiscal cliff undecided. And wondered how thankgiving was w/ Ann and Mitt Romney cry tongue

Hugs to Barrack for winning the election.

1 Like

Re: The Significance Of Black Friday Shopping In USA by onyxo76(m): 9:38pm On Nov 23, 2012
armyofone: the whole thing is crazy but fun. I just watched on CNN as one woman fell down, she grabbed her fallen wig and was trying to put the wig back on as other rushed ahead..phew i laughed with turkeyfilled mouth.

I went shopping for one nice boot and some pink nightwear cheesy...no rushing in this mil store. The store is so packed!! shocked shocked

As I walked out, I can only thank God the economy is imroving and people are shopping anyhow, forget fiscal cliff undecided. And wondered how thankgiving was w/ Ann and Mitt Romney cry tongue

Hugs to Barrack for winning the election.
so you watched that report as well. That wig incident was very funny. The guys who was tazered was even funnier.I bet some peps would have lost some teeth in the process.
Re: The Significance Of Black Friday Shopping In USA by Nobody: 10:08pm On Nov 23, 2012
scopusng: I dey Naija but I don purchase enough items today for US shops through online. Dem cheap die. Been planning for today for 6 months now.Thank God
hey..aw do you get the goods sent directly to you in Nigeria? i have been trying to do that for a while now.
Re: The Significance Of Black Friday Shopping In USA by razznaija(f): 7:19am On Nov 24, 2012
This black Friday is not worth the hype at all. I decided to shop for the first time this year and this is the last time that i will ever do it.

After standing in line for almost an hour to get in an electronics store at 11 pm thanksgiving day when they were supposed to open at 10 pm, i found out that most of the items that i had planned to buy were out of stock.

I finally picked up a tablet, but when i looked at the line, it was so freaking long that i could not even see the checkout aisles from were i was standing. I decided to stand there,after standing there for more than an hour without the line even moving a little bit i was just like forget this ishh i'll look online.

I just feel really sorry for the people that died just because of this black Friday madness.
Re: The Significance Of Black Friday Shopping In USA by Nobody: 9:53am On Nov 24, 2012
razznaija: This black Friday is not worth the hype at all. I decided to shop for the first time this year and this is the last time that i will ever do it.

After standing in line for almost an hour to get in an electronics store at 11 pm thanksgiving day when they were supposed to open at 10 pm, i found out that most of the items that i had planned to buy were out of stock.

I finally picked up a tablet, but when i looked at the line, it was so freaking long that i could not even see the checkout aisles from were i was standing. I decided to stand there,after standing there for more than an hour without the line even moving a little bit i was just like forget this sh!t i'll look online.

I just feel really sorry for the people that died just because of this black Friday madness.
thats y online shopping is there for u....to ease the hazzle...thankk God u dnt breakdown along d line....hahahahaha...crazy dude
Re: The Significance Of Black Friday Shopping In USA by Nobody: 10:48am On Nov 24, 2012
ogugua88: Black Friday is one of the dumbest days in the US, if not the dumbest. I hate it very much and refuse to partake in it. I never have, thank goodness. It has severely depreciated the meaning of thanksgiving. Rather than for people to enjoy their time with family, cook a large feast, and enjoy themselves, they eat a quick meal and camp in front of stores. That's if they eat any thanksgiving meal at all.

My cousin was in a car accident two years ago because she fell asleep on the road while driving to Best Buy at 3am. She was hospitalized for days. People have been seriously injured and/or killed because of vicious mobs and stampedes in the name of lower Xbox and television prices. If I were dictator president, I would have all stores closed on the Friday following thanksgiving, since people don't know how to be civilized and cherish what they already have.

Black Friday is all about saving money if you're a shopper, and making money if you're a business. Money money money. It's ridiculous. There's no reason why Target and other stores should be opening at 8pm on thanksgiving. The worst part is that stores keep opening earlier and earlier to outdo competition. They used to open at midnight. Some Target and Walmart employees had to go to work as early as 3pm on thanksgiving day to prepare for the night. Smh.

offtopic - whats thanksgiving itself about, other than the celebration of theft of land?

thats it - black friday is spending of money to celebrate theft
Re: The Significance Of Black Friday Shopping In USA by shilling(f): 11:43am On Nov 24, 2012
I love Black Friday..it's the equivalent of Boxing Day in Canada. I do it from my bed, thank God for online shopping.
Re: The Significance Of Black Friday Shopping In USA by mamagee3(f): 9:25pm On Nov 24, 2012
slyfoxxjoe: So what is the significance of Black Friday shopping in Nigeria?
Black Friday does not exist in Nigeria.

(1) (2) (Reply)

South Africa Slips Into Technical Recession As GDP Drops 0.7% In Q2 / Mali: ECOWAS Imposes Economic And Political Sanctions After Election Delay / Aljazeera Crew Detained In Niger Republic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.