Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,207 members, 7,839,109 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 01:56 PM

Can We Actually Change The Negative Perception about Nigeria? - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Can We Actually Change The Negative Perception about Nigeria? (5164 Views)

See What This Funke Oyinbo, Ukrainian Said About Nigeria / Ibadan Brown Roofs: A Matter Of Perception - updated with more photos / For Nigerians In The Diaspora:what Do You Miss About Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can We Actually Change The Negative Perception about Nigeria? by duality(m): 2:56pm On Nov 26, 2012
Nigerians Know what to do. But they are waiting for "A Leader"

The teachers are waiting for a principal that will make them do the right thing

Lagosians are waiting for a Lastma that will force them to drive well

the police is waiting for an IG that will remove corruption from their hearts.

Others are waiting for a president, governor, LG chairman that will wipe their tears and make them do the right thing.

Oil marketers are waiting for a Leader; before they stop defrauding the country.

Nigerians are really waiting for that leader. but that leader is the one who you see when you look at the mirror.

Even if that kind of leader Nigerians are waiting for emerge, Nigerians may either not know him or he may even compound the problems of Nigerians

3 Likes

Re: Can We Actually Change The Negative Perception about Nigeria? by ITbomb(m): 3:06pm On Nov 26, 2012
If you can change these two, then changing the negative perception of Nigeria is easy
Can we change the negative perception of the President?
Can we change the negative perception of a person from another tribe?
The little things and remarks we made about another person is what define us as a Nation.
For now, it is pathetic
Re: Can We Actually Change The Negative Perception about Nigeria? by zebudaya(m): 4:08pm On Nov 26, 2012
Which perception.

On arrival at MMIA,

1)NEPA may take power, baggage claim may take 2 hours, Immigration asks you for tips.

2)The toilets at MMIA have no water to flush & wash your hands and no toilet rolls because Yoruba people use water to clean up. Hence the floor is littered with empty water bottles & it's wet with water that was used to wash a$$. (Not being tribalist, I like Yoruba people, they are very welcoming and tolerant)

3)You get out, the heat hits you, there's more touts, cab drivers, porters etc, you then pass all kinds of slums, on your way to your hotel Oworonshoki, Oshodi etc

4) All along you are stressed, because Lagos has a fearsome reputation, and you've heard all the stories.

5) Nigerians are willing to pay bribes to the police man, to the driver's license guy, to secure contracts, to the Governor, etc.

6) People don't want to work hard anymore, just want to take short cuts

7) Nigerians vote known rogues into office, and sing their praises. Obasanjo ruled for 8 years & left us in darkness after spending Billons in the power sector, we still call him Baba, and elder statesman instead of throwing our shoes at him. Same for Babangida, S. East Governors, Northern Governors, Saraki ran Kwara state like a family business, yet we call him Oloye. Does kwara have basic ammenities? What is there to show for all his influence

cool7)Let's start doing the right things first, and perception will take care of itself.

1 Like

Re: Can We Actually Change The Negative Perception about Nigeria? by Abrahman: 4:29pm On Nov 26, 2012
I think the way foward is to tell our DADDYS and MUMMYS in the govt to resign,from presidency to councellors,let us try the youths also and not just any how youths i mean compitent youths with vissions and dreams.
Re: Can We Actually Change The Negative Perception about Nigeria? by kutchs: 4:31pm On Nov 26, 2012
sleekshedy:
Our problems are way deeper than the things you've mentioned. You really need to watch Fox news and see the kind of bashing Obama gets from them. Still he tells you, they have every right to do so and as their president, his duty is protect their right to call him whatever they like. So you people should stop all these "Never speak negative about the president, the government and other leaders". One thing is certain, people will hate you no matter what you do, especially when you are serving the public. And if you feel you can't take the heat, then leave the kitchen!
You only chosed to focus on the 2nd point the guy made, what about the 1st and 3rd points?
Yes everyone has got the right to criticize and bash the president cos he's on the hot seat but when such criticisms border on the personality of the president and not on issues what do you say?

we need a change and the change cannot come unless we change ourselves.
It is silly blaming and cursing the leaders when we the followers do even worse than those we criticise.
Re: Can We Actually Change The Negative Perception about Nigeria? by pat077: 4:55pm On Nov 26, 2012
tzetzefly: Can we actually change the negative perception of foreigners about we Nigerians..? undecided
it's possible. It begins with YOU!
Re: Can We Actually Change The Negative Perception about Nigeria? by Emmy9ite(m): 5:20pm On Nov 26, 2012
londoner: OP....of course. The perception will change when their experience of Nigerians change.

Also, when good Nigerians stop hiding the fact that they are Nigerian because they are ashamed.

Other countries, like America ACTIVELY launder their image and control perception of them. Not only to non Americans but to Americans too. They constantly churn out an image.....a good one, to counteract what other negative facts are revealed about them.

Americans adopt this image of themselves and what it means to be an American and actually live out those values.

Even in war, America can bomb a community, but also drop food parcels from planes, with the US flag on every package.

Look at Hollywood.....it is not just entertainment, it is a political tool.

The story lines always perpetuate a positive image of America in relation to the rest of the world.

Nigeria and Nigerians buy into the opposite.......they will only believe negatives about Nigeria and go around spreading that image either in their words or actions.

I cant tell you the amount of damage I have had to undo in the minds of non Nigerians, simply because of the negative account Nigerians have fed to them.

Nigerians need to learn how to shut the eff up about the bad things of Nigeria when speaking to non Nigerians, unless they are prepared to end on a positive note about the country in that conversation.

My brother, you've spoken the raw truth.
Re: Can We Actually Change The Negative Perception about Nigeria? by ikachi1: 5:55pm On Nov 26, 2012
I think we have gone beyond repairs unless a drastic action in the form of a bloody revolution “ala” Ghana type comes to play here. The job of turning our reputation around lies with the leaders and the led. Many Nigerians hate hard work but they want to live a life of kings and queens. Nigerians are the greatest law breakers God has created. We always find loop holes to circumvent the law. The wealthy flaunt stolen wealth with all impunity and are revered by the society. What kind of message does this show of shame send to the young ones? Simply said, it means we can steal, rob, kidnap or dupe without a significant amount of risk. Anywhere we go, we exhibit our trade mark criminality to the detriment of the good ones who are rubbed of the "criminals" impression. Can you imagine a country like Equatorial Guinea denying Nigerians visa? It is hard to trust most Nigerians with Government or bank money. They look at it as a part of their cake no matter what happens to the organizations they are meant to nurture.
Here is a joke a friend of mine sent to me long time ago about Nigerians in heaven:
“ Angel Gabriel came to the Lord and said, I have to
talk to you. I have some Nigerians up here in Heaven who are causing some problems. They are swinging on the Pearly Gates, my horn is missing, and they've got Maggi sauce and Ogbono soup all over their robes; hamhocks. Isi-ewu, Cow-feet and Bokoto bones are all over the
streets of Gold; some folk are walking around with one wing, they have
been late taking their turn in keeping the stairway to heaven clean. There
are beer bottles all over the clouds, some aren't even wearing their halos,
saying it doesn't fit with their hairstyles."

The Lord said, "I made them special, as I did you, my angel. Heaven is home to all my children. If you really want to know about problems, let's call the Devil." The Devil answered the phone, "Hello? What the....!, hold on one minute." The Devil returned to the phone and said, "Hello Lord, what can I do for you?" The Lord replied, "Tell me what kind of problems you are having down there."
The Devil said, "Wait one minute," and put the Lord on hold.
After 5 minutes he returned to the phone, and said "Okay, I'm back. What
was the question?" The Lord said, "What kind of problems are you having
down there?" The Devil said, "Man, I don't belieee.....hold on, Lord".
This time the Devil was gone for 15 minutes. The Devil returned and said, "I'm sorry Lord, I can't talk right now. These Nigerians put the fire out and now they are trying to install air conditioning! They even bribed my guys!!"
grin
Re: Can We Actually Change The Negative Perception about Nigeria? by madanne4real: 6:16pm On Nov 26, 2012
tzetzefly: Can we actually change the negative perception of foreigners about we Nigerians..? undecided
Yes We Can.
Re: Can We Actually Change The Negative Perception about Nigeria? by owobokiri(m): 6:17pm On Nov 26, 2012
Start by changing the name Nigeria.That name is fake, sickening and useless. It has been so violated by the western media that the possibility of redemption is zero. The guys at CNN will still go "the country formally known as Nigeria". But with time and good governance, the perception may change. If anybody here thinks that the perception will ONLY change when our people start to behave like angels, that person will wait for eternity.
Re: Can We Actually Change The Negative Perception about Nigeria? by kutchs: 7:22pm On Nov 26, 2012
owobokiri: Start by changing the name Nigeria.That name is fake, sickening and useless. It has been so violated by the western media that the possibility of redemption is zero. The guys at CNN will still go "the country formally known as Nigeria". But with time and good governance, the perception may change. If anybody here thinks that the perception will ONLY change when our people start to behave like angels, that person will wait for eternity.
Pray tell me how good governance can come about without people thinking, acting anf behaving like angels.
You talk as if good governance is an alien concept that can only be thrown from yonder, it is realiable when people dispose themselves to realise.
Re: Can We Actually Change The Negative Perception about Nigeria? by dokunbam(m): 10:23pm On Nov 26, 2012
Yes with proper orientation, they need to know more about Nigeria and Nigerians. our culture, values, religion etc by that they will understand us. its not by comparing them with us. Nigerians are good people. so many foreigners do appreciate Nigerians because we are smart and intelligent. They have their own bad side as well. I dont believe they are better than us, we are just less privileged. If we have the same thing as them we will do better. My opinion
Re: Can We Actually Change The Negative Perception about Nigeria? by Ticklishmummy(f): 10:40pm On Nov 26, 2012
tony_m1: CAPITAL NO .... OUR REPUTATION SPEAKS FOR ITSELF.

WATCHING A PROGRAMME YESTERDAY ON ITV AND THE PRESENTER TOOK A CALL WHILE ON AIR JOKING ABOUT NIGERIAN'S 419 SCAM

Something similar happened last year on "I am a celebrity get me out of here" when Ant and Dec made reference to their credit cards being used by Nigerian scammers.Next day,I emailed the producers of the show and I expressed my discontent over such.I made it a point to mention that scam is not peculiar to Nigeria alone.It might not have yielded something big as I would have wished but I got a reply and an apology,they also tried to justify why that had happened.Who cares? But I did my bit as a Nigerian.At least they know that Nigeria doesn't only breed bad apples,bad apples abound everywhere.
No matter how small,Change starts with each individual/Nigerian.The way we interact with people,being empathetic to the needs of others,appreciating people beliefs and trying as much as possible not to ruin our family names.It doesn't cost too much to be patrotic but it can yield positive results for the collective good of the country.
Re: Can We Actually Change The Negative Perception about Nigeria? by AkoEja: 11:58pm On Nov 26, 2012
we can change the perception of Nigeria if we Nigerians perceive ourselves positively. The negative perception of Nigeria in the world is brought on by Nigerians themselves. Nigerians even have a negative perception of their individual self, as many people have a low opinion of themselves. For example, anything made in Nigeria is rejected by Nigerians while we enthusiastically embrace anything that comes from outside the country, especially from light-skinned people.

This negative perceptions is part of the slave mentality which remains with a lot of Nigerians. Unfortunately we do not have good leadership to help the country change that perception.

The solution to most of our problems will be good leadership which can only come through a developed democracy
Re: Can We Actually Change The Negative Perception about Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:45am On Nov 27, 2012
It can only be changed until the leaders develop the country and the citizens follow rule of law as in organized society.
Re: Can We Actually Change The Negative Perception about Nigeria? by foj31: 9:21am On Nov 27, 2012
The best way to change peoples perception about us is for us to change ourselves.let our govt change for good and let the followers also change for good,this is my solemn prayer.
Re: Can We Actually Change The Negative Perception about Nigeria? by seyibrown(f): 3:24pm On Nov 27, 2012
duality: Nigerians Know what to do. But they are waiting for "A Leader"
The teachers are waiting for a principal that will make them do the right thing
Lagosians are waiting for a Lastma that will force them to drive well
the police is waiting for an IG that will remove corruption from their hearts.
Others are waiting for a president, governor, LG chairman that will wipe their tears and make them do the right thing.
Oil marketers are waiting for a Leader; before they stop defrauding the country.
Nigerians are really waiting for that leader. but that leader is the one who you see when you look at the mirror.

Even if that kind of leader Nigerians are waiting for emerge, Nigerians may either not know him or he may even compound the problems of Nigerians

You said it, Bro!
Re: Can We Actually Change The Negative Perception about Nigeria? by debomb: 4:28pm On Nov 27, 2012
I am tired of being optimistic on what would change for the better in this country.

I am not one to rubbish naija whilst abroad but whenever I hear some awful news like what happened to ibori, warnings on shopping websites about doing business with nigerians and all that lot.. man.. am always weak. I always feel like not going to work that day. What about when you have to travel to another country and they see your kpali, they start to give you unwanted grief.. why?

Now in the country, cos there's actually no place like home but what works?? No light as far as I can remember from being a child ( everybody uses generator). No good roads- never has been, our educational system is a huge flop ( everybody is going private) No water ( everybody uses boreholes)
access to good medical treatment nko? ( I fear to use drugs here, everybody is importing from abroad cos of powdered capsules) Telecommunication nko? Call a line and the automated voice would say its switched off meanwhile its on.. please what are they using tax money for?

Nigerian officials are the most greediest leaders ever. They have used poverty to blind the minds of people so much so that everybody is acting greedy too cos its now survival of the fittest! That's why you cannot even be free to ping on the road ( lol) No security, no regulation, no control.. thats why somehow its a heaven's ground for looters. The Nigerian dream! Come here broke and before you know it you are riding a Bugatti ( one of the most expensive cars).. ( for real, naija men have this in their garage! I have seen it!)

If there is anything in naija ( except nollywood and our talented artists doing it for themselves) anything that the government are doing that is indeed working for us, going on well, please let me know..Have they supported the musicians, what about the hardworking nigerian women. Just what are they doing I want to put my head up again and believe in this country. I do not want to be ashamed being called a Nigerian. See Ghana!!! Ordinary Ghana, there's light, good roads and their university is well famous worldwide...

Am surprised that the leaders don't feel shame when they go to represent us in conferences abroad with all these other leaders. Did you see the debate between obama and romney, I have never seen naija leaders debate intelligently like that? But why?

If the leaders themselves are corrupt and using people for modern day slavery then what do you expect desperate citizens to do??Do you know most of them have their kids schooling abroad? they buy expensive flats for their 18 year old and the like.They take life insurance on their life abroad and receive treatment abroad. they are clueless of what the common man is going thru.. very heartless! We know corruption is rife in the world but please other leaders carry LIVE AND LET LIVE approach but naija leaders are LIVE AND LET ONLY ME LIVE ALONE! SMH!
Re: Can We Actually Change The Negative Perception about Nigeria? by tzetzefly(m): 5:06pm On Nov 27, 2012
adoniza: Well that is quite posible, but will certainly take some time and may even require having to change that name "Nigeria"
Obasanjo tried goin towards that direction, but i guess he jst cudnt achieve this.....smetin like FEDERAL DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF ''****''
Re: Can We Actually Change The Negative Perception about Nigeria? by foj31: 12:51pm On Nov 28, 2012
"Our lives begins to end the day we become silent about thing that matters"that quote is credited to one of the world greatest martin lurther king.i strngly believe this,hence i classsify our bad leaders as people who are limited,because the are also suffering or dont you believe me?afterall they pligh the same bad roads,their extended families go to the same badly equiped hospital,etc
My people they build fences taller than their houses or mansions.make we ask ourselves WHO BE MUMU?when they[bad leaders] have an on common opportunity to help themselves from this ''bondage'
Why cant they be like nelson mandela?and have UN declare a day for them.[center][/center][center][/center][center][/center]

(1) (2) (Reply)

Italian Visa Delay In Vfs / Can The Embassy Arrest Me For A Fake Document? / Travel To Europe, Find Love In Prague

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.