Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,248 members, 7,818,850 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:39 AM

Abuja National Carnival: My Experience In 2009 (with Pictures)! - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Abuja National Carnival: My Experience In 2009 (with Pictures)! (1987 Views)

Calabar Carnival 2015: Live Update With Photos / Man Turns Attraction At Lagos Carnival (photo) / A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abuja National Carnival: My Experience In 2009 (with Pictures)! by tomakint: 11:46am On Nov 26, 2012
The biggest carnival in Nigeria, the Abuja National Carnival was unveiled on Saturday 24th November, 2012 and it will run through till Tuesday 27th November, 2012. The experience to say the least is to conclude that its going to be a breathtaking one, this I know based on my experience in 2009. To those based in Abuja, the carnival train normally kicks of at Area 1 just after that bridge, then proceedings move to Army headquarters from there movement will be towards Chelsea Hotel to CBN headquarters and from there it ends up at the famous Eagle Square. I have decided to supply the many pictures I took then to evoke some feelings of pride in the hearts of many Nairalanders that really appreciate the numerous cultures and traditions that pervades our land. Truly, our strength as a country lies in our diversities! The costumes, cultural displays, choreographies, organization and the fun involved in the carnival makes it worthwhile and one worthy of international adulation, to those who have never been to any carnival events before or not aware of such I do hereby present this rich carnival I attended in 2009, happy viewing;

Re: Abuja National Carnival: My Experience In 2009 (with Pictures)! by tomakint: 11:49am On Nov 26, 2012
Another set of pics wink

Re: Abuja National Carnival: My Experience In 2009 (with Pictures)! by tomakint: 12:59pm On Nov 26, 2012
.....more cheesy

Re: Abuja National Carnival: My Experience In 2009 (with Pictures)! by ifyalways(f): 2:10pm On Nov 26, 2012
Gradually, carnivals are coming to stay in Naija while our indigenous festivals are labelled devilish, going into extinction.

Imma spam this thread with pictures of "ekpe ohuhu,2011"

1 Like

Re: Abuja National Carnival: My Experience In 2009 (with Pictures)! by Afam4eva(m): 2:20pm On Nov 26, 2012
ifyalways: Gradually, carnivals are coming to stay in Naija while our indigenous festivals are labelled devilish, going into extinction.

Nollwood actor, gentle Jack was interviewed at this year's Abuja carnival and he was ashamed that they have now replaced out traditional clothes with those Caribbean outfits. It's a shame.

Btw, why are we having the 2009 pictures instead of the 2012 pictures.
Re: Abuja National Carnival: My Experience In 2009 (with Pictures)! by Ngodigha1(m): 9:27pm On Nov 26, 2012
afam4eva:
Nollwood actor, gentle Jack was interviewed at this year's Abuja carnival and he was ashamed that they have now replaced out traditional clothes with those Caribbean outfits. It's a shame.

Btw, why are we having the 2009 pictures instead of the 2012 pictures.
Carnivals are borrowed from the Caribean, so it is a no surprise to see Carribean outfits. Reggae music also came from them to us and you hardly see people question reggae musicians for singing like Carribeans.
In Nigeria, we have our national and state cultural festivals and they showcase Nigerian cultural attires.
Re: Abuja National Carnival: My Experience In 2009 (with Pictures)! by tomakint: 10:27pm On Nov 26, 2012
ifyalways: Gradually, carnivals are coming to stay in Naija while our indigenous festivals are labelled devilish, going into extinction.

You have to juxtapose the global appeal of the carnival to our indigenous festivals and you will agree with me that the clandestine modus operandi of the rituals involved in our indigenous festivals will tone down its global appeal and make it more expensive to run

1 Like

Re: Abuja National Carnival: My Experience In 2009 (with Pictures)! by Ngodigha1(m): 10:30pm On Nov 26, 2012
tomakint:
You have to juxtapose the global appeal of the carnival to our indigenous festivals and you will agree with me that the clandestine modus operandi of the rituals involved in our indigenous festivals will tone down its global appeal and make it more expensive to run
Word.
Re: Abuja National Carnival: My Experience In 2009 (with Pictures)! by tomakint: 10:45pm On Nov 26, 2012
Ngodigha1:
Carnivals are borrowed from the Caribean, so it is a no surprise to see Carribean outfits. Reggae music also came from them to us and you hardly see people question reggae musicians for singing like Carribeans.
In Nigeria, we have our national and state cultural festivals and they showcase Nigerian cultural attires.
You are right about the Caribbean stuff, it appeals more to a wider audience unlike our mostly scary and grotesque indigenous stuff. Where av u been?

1 Like

Re: Abuja National Carnival: My Experience In 2009 (with Pictures)! by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:43am On Nov 27, 2012
THESE PICTURES ARE DISGUSTING CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHY ARE THESE CLOWNS PROTESTING ON THE STREETS
Re: Abuja National Carnival: My Experience In 2009 (with Pictures)! by ifyalways(f): 9:12am On Nov 27, 2012
tomakint:
which rituals are you talking about?what do you know for a fact about our indigenous festivals(please no "I heard, I thought, I assumed" )

Btw, if the govt would dedicated half the funds and energy they put in for borrowed cultures and festivals, our native festivals would appear much more appealing and interesting.

Look at Eyo festival for instance. The people and govt have all these years invested, believed in it and that's why its flourishing.

1 Like

Re: Abuja National Carnival: My Experience In 2009 (with Pictures)! by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:44pm On Nov 27, 2012
ifyalways: which rituals are you talking about?what do you know for a fact about our indigenous festivals(please no "I heard, I thought, I assumed" )

Btw, if the govt would dedicated half the funds and energy they put in for borrowed cultures and festivals, our native festivals would appear much more appealing and interesting.

Look at Eyo festival for instance. The people and govt have all these years invested, believed in it and that's why its flourishing.

Eyo is beautiful . as always, hats of to you Yorubas for preserving your "brabaric and grotesque" traditional religons and cultures. some people dont realise that it is the "barbaric" and grotesque stuuf that attracts tourists and pilgrims from around the world into 9JA and boosts tourism and the economy.

tongue
Re: Abuja National Carnival: My Experience In 2009 (with Pictures)! by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:46pm On Nov 27, 2012
tomakint:
You are right about the Caribbean stuff, it appeals more to a wider audience unlike our mostly scary and grotesque indigenous stuff. Where av u been?

i prefer our barbaric and grotesque stuff to all that nud.ity , se.x and immorality practiced in those carnivals.
Re: Abuja National Carnival: My Experience In 2009 (with Pictures)! by tomakint: 2:58pm On Nov 27, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

Eyo is beautiful . as always, hats of to you Yorubas for preserving your "brabaric and grotesque" traditional religons and cultures. some people dont realise that it is the "barbaric" and grotesque stuuf that attracts tourists and pilgrims from around the world into 9JA and boosts tourism and the economy.

tongue
I am not against our 'indigenous traditional displays' I am only considering the economic advantage between our indigenous ones to the 'borrowed Caribbean style' which has generated more tourists unlike our remote 'traditional ones' where only few foreign tourists patronize!
Re: Abuja National Carnival: My Experience In 2009 (with Pictures)! by PAGAN9JA(m): 3:15pm On Nov 27, 2012
tomakint:
I am not against our 'indigenous traditional displays' I am only considering the economic advantage between our indigenous ones to the 'borrowed Caribbean style' which has generated more tourists unlike our remote 'traditional ones' where only few foreign tourists patronize!

wtf?! you are talking just for the sake of talking. i can understand in the case of technology, but in the case of culture, HELL NO!

i live abroad myself and trust me, no one here has even heard of a Nigerian carnival, forget coming all the way here for it. infact whenever anyone asks me about Nigeria, it is about the tribal culture, ethnic music and instruments, religion, spirituality, juju, masquerades spirit dances, etc.

no one is interested in these useless, misshapen painted cardboard boxes and people marching through the streets with paper headresses.
Re: Abuja National Carnival: My Experience In 2009 (with Pictures)! by tomakint: 4:05pm On Nov 27, 2012
....another set wink

Re: Abuja National Carnival: My Experience In 2009 (with Pictures)! by tomakint: 4:10pm On Nov 27, 2012
more flowing.....

Re: Abuja National Carnival: My Experience In 2009 (with Pictures)! by anonymous6(f): 11:42pm On Nov 27, 2012
interesting, i never knew Abuja had carnivals, love the pictures
Re: Abuja National Carnival: My Experience In 2009 (with Pictures)! by ifyalways(f): 9:30am On Nov 28, 2012
tomakint:
you'l see more foreign tourists in lagos Orisha festival than in any carnival. Its mostly indigenes and bored oyibos living in Naija that you'll see in the carnivals.

1 Like

Re: Abuja National Carnival: My Experience In 2009 (with Pictures)! by ifyalways(f): 9:35am On Nov 28, 2012
@OP, is the last set of pictures from the carnival?
Re: Abuja National Carnival: My Experience In 2009 (with Pictures)! by Valon4ego(m): 3:03pm On Nov 28, 2012
car·ni·val (kär n -v l) n. 1. often Carnival The period of merrymaking and feasting celebrated just before Lent. 2. A traveling amusement show usually including rides, games, and sideshows.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/_/dict.aspx?word=carnival so far as it's named a carnival, i can't really fault the way it is celebrated
Re: Abuja National Carnival: My Experience In 2009 (with Pictures)! by tomakint: 3:21pm On Nov 28, 2012
ifyalways: @OP, is the last set of pictures from the carnival?
nope, I still have more! The bandwidth is dragging but will try to update more now!

(1) (Reply)

NIGERIAN GOVT: There re No Indiginous Yorubas In Lagos, Qwara And Kogi / Anambra Is The Best / Using Toothpicks Outside An Eating Enviroment Is Very Bad Habit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.