Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,853 members, 7,817,524 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:44 PM

Meet Mrs Folorunsho Alakija Africa's Richest Woman @ $600 Million = N94 Billion - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Meet Mrs Folorunsho Alakija Africa's Richest Woman @ $600 Million = N94 Billion (3995 Views)

Dangote All Smiles Over His $600 Million Dangote Cement Plant In Ethiopia (photo / Folorunsho Alakija: Nigeria’s Richest Woman [photos] / Childhood Photos Of Folorunsho Alakija, Africa's Richest Woman (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Meet Mrs Folorunsho Alakija Africa's Richest Woman @ $600 Million = N94 Billion by Krucifax(m): 3:10pm On Nov 27, 2012
Culled from Forbes:

http://www.forbes.com/profile/folorunsho-alakija/

Nigeria's richest woman draws the bulk of her fortune from oil. Folorunsho Alakija started her career in the mid 1970s as a secretary at the now-defunct International Merchant Bank of Nigeria, one of the West African nation's earliest investment banks. In the 1980s, after studying fashion design in England, she founded Supreme Stitches, a Nigerian fashion label that catered to upscale clientele. Her biggest break came in oil. In 1993 Nigerian President Ibrahim Babangida awarded her company, Famfa Oil, an oil prospecting license which went on to become OML 127, one of Nigeria's most prolific oil blocks. Famfa Oil owned a 60% stake in the block until 2000 when the Nigerian government, led by former President Olusegun Obasanjo, unconstitutionally acquired a 50% interest in the block without duly compensating Alakija or her company. Famfa Oil went to court to challenge the acquisition, and in May this year, the Nigerian Supreme Court reinstated the 50% stake to Famfa Oil. Chevron owns the remaining 40%. Through her charity, the Rose of Sharon Foundation, Alakija supports widows throughout Nigeria.

Re: Meet Mrs Folorunsho Alakija Africa's Richest Woman @ $600 Million = N94 Billion by Nobody: 3:30pm On Nov 27, 2012
What a beautiful looking rich woman!!

Hmm... I used to think Okonjo Iweala is number 1
Re: Meet Mrs Folorunsho Alakija Africa's Richest Woman @ $600 Million = N94 Billion by Nobody: 3:33pm On Nov 27, 2012
acidosis™:
What a beautiful looking rich woman!!

Hmm... I used to think Okonjo Iweala is number 1
Are you a sugar mummy boy?
Lol!
Re: Meet Mrs Folorunsho Alakija Africa's Richest Woman @ $600 Million = N94 Billion by Nobody: 3:36pm On Nov 27, 2012
I moved out of the crowd to get it right – Mrs Alakija

Many marriages are on the rocks because many women find it difficult to combine marriage with affluence. Why has yours remained the envy of many since 1976?

Mrs: Alakija: Money has nothing to do with love. Love comes from within. Money is something you acquire along the line. Only love keeps people together. From the time that we started courting, it has been like that, and we thank God that to His glory, we’ve known one another for 40 years. I pray also that God continues to unite us. I believe that if love is the foundation of a union, God will prove Himself faithful.

Now this is for all those that turned atheist after they made some cash.. some of you slept in churches praying & fasting when things were difficult but after a while, you made it and you think you can fool God.. #God is watching! - Acidosis

You seem very busy and quite successful, but do you ever find time to go into the kitchen?

Mrs Alakija : Absolutely! Just yesterday, I still cooked beans for my church fellowship members . I always cook when my husband is in the country. I’ve had cooks for years, but there’s always a difference when you add your own personal touch. At weekends, I cook. I also cook each time he’s arriving from his trips because he always prefers to eat from my own cooking at such times. Also, we eat together. I do believe that no matter her level of success, a woman must always remember that she must not depart from her kitchen.

1 Like

Re: Meet Mrs Folorunsho Alakija Africa's Richest Woman @ $600 Million = N94 Billion by Nobody: 3:40pm On Nov 27, 2012
Brand_new:
Lol!

lol...that woman is old enough to be a grandmother, shes 61
but sorry I don't do sugar mamas [God forbid]
Re: Meet Mrs Folorunsho Alakija Africa's Richest Woman @ $600 Million = N94 Billion by Kx: 3:41pm On Nov 27, 2012
Show me one Nigerian who became wealthy in Nigeria without links to govt quarters?

2 Likes

Re: Meet Mrs Folorunsho Alakija Africa's Richest Woman @ $600 Million = N94 Billion by Nobody: 3:53pm On Nov 27, 2012
Kx: Show me one Nigerian who became wealthy in Nigeria without links to govt quarters?
I beg to disagree, sir.

So, how did you venture into the oil and gas industry?

Mrs Alakiji : In the 1990s, in the course of my discussion with a friend whom I was designing clothes for, my family and I got involved in a deal to purchase an oil field. After three years, we were allocated an oil bloc which nobody wanted at that time because it was deep.offshore, over 1,500 meters deep and very expensive to explore at.that time. We were approached by Texaco late in 1996, and, after three months daily negotiation, we signed on the dotted lines. Chevron took over Texaco after a few years, but, to the glory of God, we actually stocked oil in commercial quantity, and we were told that the oil had been collecting in there for 17million years, and then we just considered ourselves very lucky. That was how FAMFA Oil was born. I and my husband and our four sons are all heavily involved in the business.

www.vanguardngr.com/2012/06/i-moved-out-of-the-crowd-to-get-it-right-mrs-alakija/
Re: Meet Mrs Folorunsho Alakija Africa's Richest Woman @ $600 Million = N94 Billion by sweetcheecks(f): 5:09pm On Nov 27, 2012
Krucifax: Culled from Forbes:

http://www.forbes.com/profile/folorunsho-alakija/

Nigeria's richest woman draws the bulk of her fortune from oil. Folorunsho Alakija started her career in the mid 1970s as a secretary at the now-defunct International Merchant Bank of Nigeria, one of the West African nation's earliest investment banks. In the 1980s, after studying fashion design in England, she founded Supreme Stitches, a Nigerian fashion label that catered to upscale clientele. Her biggest break came in oil. In 1993 Nigerian President Ibrahim Babangida awarded her company, Famfa Oil, an oil prospecting license which went on to become OML 127, one of Nigeria's most prolific oil blocks. Famfa Oil owned a 60% stake in the block until 2000 when the Nigerian government, led by former President Olusegun Obasanjo, unconstitutionally acquired a 50% interest in the block without duly compensating Alakija or her company. Famfa Oil went to court to challenge the acquisition, and in May this year, the Nigerian Supreme Court reinstated the 50% stake to Famfa Oil. Chevron owns the remaining 40%. Through her charity, the Rose of Sharon Foundation, Alakija supports widows throughout Nigeria.

ITS NOT AFRICA'S ITS NIGERIAN RICHEST WOMAN. grin SMART LADY!
Re: Meet Mrs Folorunsho Alakija Africa's Richest Woman @ $600 Million = N94 Billion by azpekuliar: 5:21pm On Nov 27, 2012
Babangida must have bunked her! Then lost the 50% stake for resisting OBJ's advances. wink

1 Like

Re: Meet Mrs Folorunsho Alakija Africa's Richest Woman @ $600 Million = N94 Billion by Nobody: 6:45pm On Nov 27, 2012
grin grin
azpekuliar: Babangida must have bunked her! Then lost the 50% stake for resisting OBJ's advances. wink
grin grin
Badt guys.
Re: Meet Mrs Folorunsho Alakija Africa's Richest Woman @ $600 Million = N94 Billion by xcitedjay(m): 7:38pm On Nov 27, 2012
Brand_new:
Lol!
Would gladly lose my primary virginity and sugar mummy virginity to her
Re: Meet Mrs Folorunsho Alakija Africa's Richest Woman @ $600 Million = N94 Billion by Nobody: 7:59pm On Nov 27, 2012
xcitedjay:
Would gladly lose my primary virginity and sugar mummy virginity to her
If the woman relied on a sugar daddy for money ..do you think she'll make head-lines today?
The pr1ck is not for money making, atleast when the brain cells are still active.

1 Like

Re: Meet Mrs Folorunsho Alakija Africa's Richest Woman @ $600 Million = N94 Billion by xcitedjay(m): 10:57pm On Nov 27, 2012
acidosis™:

If the woman relied on a sugar daddy for money ..do you think she'll make head-lines today?
The pr1ck is not for money making, atleast when the brain cells are still active.
Would you have gotten an sms alert if she had? I'm a fan of hardwork tho.
Re: Meet Mrs Folorunsho Alakija Africa's Richest Woman @ $600 Million = N94 Billion by dejiyusuf: 11:42pm On Nov 27, 2012
seriously she's my moms aunt, you need to see the way she celebrated her birthday! Grand Style! Money is Good!
Aunt you are a mentor!
Re: Meet Mrs Folorunsho Alakija Africa's Richest Woman @ $600 Million = N94 Billion by fm7070: 5:36pm On Nov 28, 2012
Most of this celebrated billionaire are nothing but thiefs. How on earth can a single company own 60% of a country's oil blocks?
None of them made their money without robbing the poor masses. MKO Abiola, Dangote, Otedola, all of them cut corners somewhere.
Nothing to be celebrated about them!
I stand to be corrected if am wrong.

1 Like

Re: Meet Mrs Folorunsho Alakija Africa's Richest Woman @ $600 Million = N94 Billion by ayodele123(m): 7:23pm On Nov 28, 2012
It is one thing to be rich in the goods of the world but another thing to be rich before God (Revelations 3:17-18)
The world measures success in terms of money and riches and what money can buy but true success is what the Bible calls Good success in Joshua 1:8.
Good success also defined in 3 John vs.2 is earthly prosperity backed by a solid spiritual state that makes you to be acceptable before God.
Riches are temporary and have no eternal value. We came into this world with nothing and will leave with nothing.John6:27 and Proverbs 23:4 advises men not to labor for the meat that perishes, that has no eternal value.Matthew 6:33 says ''what shall it profut a man if he shall gain the whole world and lose his own soul? what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?
Riches is not sinful, God blesses His children with riches (Deuteronomy 8:18) too but it is man's attitude to riches, contrary to God's laws that is sinful (1 Timothy 6:17-19) That is why Jesus made the statement in Luke 18:24-25 that "How hardly shall it be for the rich to enter into the Kingdom of God!
If you are rich in the world, glorify God with your riches, not to be proud and to oppress the less privileged. Then seek eternal life on God's own terms because at the end of the day, we shall leave this world and stand before Christ for judgment (Hebrews 9:27)(2 Corinthians 5:10) and our riches will not go with us to eternity.
Re: Meet Mrs Folorunsho Alakija Africa's Richest Woman @ $600 Million = N94 Billion by ayodele123(m): 7:24pm On Nov 28, 2012
It is one thing to be rich in the goods of the world but another thing to be rich before God (Revelations 3:17-18)
The world measures success in terms of money and riches and what money can buy but true success is what the Bible calls Good success in Joshua 1:8.
Good success also defined in 3 John vs.2 is earthly prosperity backed by a solid spiritual state that makes you to be acceptable before God.
Riches are temporary and have no eternal value. We came into this world with nothing and will leave with nothing.John6:27 and Proverbs 23:4 advises men not to labor for the meat that perishes, that has no eternal value.Matthew 6:33 says ''what shall it profit a man if he shall gain the whole world and lose his own soul? what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?
Riches is not sinful, God blesses His children with riches (Deuteronomy 8:18) too but it is man's attitude to riches, contrary to God's laws that is sinful (1 Timothy 6:17-19) That is why Jesus made the statement in Luke 18:24-25 that "How hardly shall it be for the rich to enter into the Kingdom of God!
If you are rich in the world, glorify God with your riches, not to be proud and to oppress the less privileged. Then seek eternal life on God's own terms because at the end of the day, we shall leave this world and stand before Christ for judgment (Hebrews 9:27)(2 Corinthians 5:10) and our riches will not go with us to eternity.
Re: Meet Mrs Folorunsho Alakija Africa's Richest Woman @ $600 Million = N94 Billion by ayodele123(m): 7:27pm On Nov 28, 2012
Riches are temporary and have no eternal value. We came into this world with nothing and will leave with nothing.John6:27 and Proverbs 23:4 advises men not to labor for the meat that perishes, that has no eternal value.Matthew 6:33 says ''what shall it profit a man if he shall gain the whole world and lose his own soul? what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?
If you are rich in the world, glorify God with your riches, not to be proud and to oppress the less privileged. Then seek eternal life on God's own terms because at the end of the day, we shall leave this world and stand before Christ for judgment (Hebrews 9:27)(2 Corinthians 5:10) and our riches will not go with us to eternity.Adolf Merckle was once the 5th richest man in the world few years ago. He committed suicide at age 74 when he was still worth billions of dollars. he killed himself because the economic meltdown affected his business empire.That tells us that money is not everything when a billionaire can kill himself. He trusted in his riches and killed himself when his riches failed him.

(1) (Reply)

What Business Can One Do With 500k & Make A Gud Profit? / Gtbank Alagomeji Branch Sort Code / Pls Who Amongst Us Knows Efunkoya Johnson, Who Claims To Be Dr Fiverr

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.