Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,956 members, 7,817,809 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:07 PM

How Do You Cope With Struggles With Christianity? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Do You Cope With Struggles With Christianity? (628 Views)

Comparison Grid: Roman Catholicism, Jehovah Witnesses, Mormon With Christianity / Rapper Hopsins Frustration With Christianity: "I'm Fvcking Done!" / Intimate Temptations, Christians How Do You Cope? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How Do You Cope With Struggles With Christianity? by Nkeon: 6:30pm On Nov 28, 2012
I've been perusing this section of Nairaland for some time but never commented before.

I was raised as a Christian (Anglican/Catholicism) and I think it was at the age of 14 that I found faith for myself. Last year I started a Christianity Explored course at a Protestant church as I felt as though I needed more info on my faith and guidance and during that time I left the Catholic church (had been dubious about it previously) and started a journey towards connecting with God. However, it was during this time that I really began to explore doctrines in scripture and realised that I had never fully challenged before. I found myself overwhelmed with so many questions about things that did not seem to make sense to, some inconsistencies, and clashes with modern day science. I've also found myself wondering at times if it is all true. I feel that it is in my heart and there seems to be a lot of evidence to also suggest it is true. I've listened to a lot of religious debates and I find myself agreeing with both sides! It's really confusing and a bit upsetting at times. Whenever I ask Christians they don't seem to have the same concerns and either brush them under the carpet or just quote passages rather than giving direct answers. With Atheists they just seem to say it's all nonsense and don't have the same concerns because they don't have any faith.
I think what confuses me are the constant clashes between science and the bible (can they both be right), morality (is slavery really endorsed), interpretation of the bible (why do we take some things literally and not others?), man as the originator of sin (I mean if God knew we were going to sin are we really to blame), and the concept of a good person (if a person spends a lifetime feeding the poor and doing nothing wrong but doesn't accept Jesus they go to hell. Does this make God arrogant?). I feel that I love Jesus and most times I believe he hears me when I talk to him but I don't know about the religion. I mean sometimes I wonder if it is just a matter of me having problems because it doesn't suit my personal desires and I should overcome this reluctance to fully serve God and other times I wonder if these are questions that I should be asking and perhaps leading me to an truth.

Is there anyone out there who goes through the same?

Btw, I would really like people to contribute usefully so please refrain from using this post as a battle ground wink
Re: How Do You Cope With Struggles With Christianity? by JeSoul(f): 7:13pm On Nov 28, 2012
Hi Nkeon,
have you seen these old topics? you may find them useful to your question(s).

Faith Is Trusting God, Not Belief In Doctrine
https://www.nairaland.com/590298/faith-trusting-god-not-belief

Inesqor on the Salvation of the Non-Christian
https://www.nairaland.com/411099/inesqor-salvation-non-christian#5663966

Biblical Inerrancy
https://www.nairaland.com/413985/biblical-inerrancy

(1) (Reply)

12/12/12 The Most Predicted Date For The 'end Of The World', Whats Your View? / Religion Without Morality! / If Eve Didn't Give Adam The Apple

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.