Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,511 members, 7,819,848 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:11 AM

Which Is The Most Popular Nigerian Language Among Nigerians? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Which Is The Most Popular Nigerian Language Among Nigerians? (1226 Views)

Which Is The Easiest Nigerian Language To Learn? / Ijebu And Oyo-who Speaks Yoruba Language Among The Two? / "how Far?" Is The Most Popular Slang Among Nigerians Abroad. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Is The Most Popular Nigerian Language Among Nigerians? by DOD1: 12:39pm On Nov 29, 2012
I've lived in the east for sometime, precisely between 2005/2006, but in my experience, I found it difficult to learn igbo language even when they are willing to teach me. Most of the words are difficult to repeat after them.
For instance, I've always heard that hausa language is very easy to learn and I don't doubt that, even though I've never really made an attempt to learn it. I've come across some hausa people in lagos, even lived with one and the truth is each time I tried to pick on some of their words, while they are talking, asking them for the meaning, it was never too difficult to say after them.
Now I've seen a lot of hausas speaking yoruba and a lot of igbos, among other tribes, speaking yoruba both one-on-one and in movies too although I used to think this was because most of them live in lagos, until my experience in the east. That was when I started thinking that apart from me being yoruba, yoruba language is easier to learn; hence its popularity among other tribes, and hausa language follow suit. Hardly seen another tribe speaking igbo.
What's your opinion on this?
Re: Which Is The Most Popular Nigerian Language Among Nigerians? by IlekeIdI2: 12:52pm On Nov 29, 2012
Hausa
Yoruba
150 tribes later
Igbo
Re: Which Is The Most Popular Nigerian Language Among Nigerians? by Crayola1: 3:55pm On Nov 29, 2012
It depends on your area, but Hausa most likely due to sheer number of speakers both native and non-native

Igbo is probably hard because of its use of turn of phrase from what I hear, its a proverb rich language so its very context-heavy.
Chinese is similar in the fact that language is more abstract than literal like English.
Re: Which Is The Most Popular Nigerian Language Among Nigerians? by PAGAN9JA(m): 4:14pm On Nov 29, 2012
HAUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Re: Which Is The Most Popular Nigerian Language Among Nigerians? by AndreUweh(m): 4:24pm On Nov 29, 2012
In the North Hausa. In the east Igbo and in the west Yoruba.
@The poster, Igbo is spoken outside Igboland e.g in some parts of Rivers state (Opobo, Bonny, Buguma, Okrika etc). Non Igbo communities in Cross River and Benue state speak Igbo because of its nearness to Igboland.
Re: Which Is The Most Popular Nigerian Language Among Nigerians? by honeychild(f): 4:35pm On Nov 29, 2012
Hausa. It is †ђξ lingua franca of †ђξ entire north and middle belt. And anyone who lives in †ђξ North fir any lenght of time speaks it.
Re: Which Is The Most Popular Nigerian Language Among Nigerians? by ifyalways(f): 4:50pm On Nov 29, 2012
Pidgin English
Re: Which Is The Most Popular Nigerian Language Among Nigerians? by AndreUweh(m): 4:56pm On Nov 29, 2012
honeychild: Hausa. It is †ђξ lingua franca of †ђξ entire north and middle belt. And anyone who lives in †ђξ North fir any lenght of time speaks it.
It is the lingua franca of far north and not the entire north.

1 Like

Re: Which Is The Most Popular Nigerian Language Among Nigerians? by DOD1: 8:37am On Nov 30, 2012
Igbo is probably hard because of its use of turn of phrase from what I hear, its a proverb rich language so its very context-heavy.

Yeah, that might be true, but d problem I had hasn't got to d point of heavy context, it was just at d preliminary level i.e., pronouncing some of d words correctly while trying to learn was so difficult, and that discouraged me from continuing.
Re: Which Is The Most Popular Nigerian Language Among Nigerians? by DOD1: 8:40am On Nov 30, 2012
@The poster, Igbo is spoken outside Igboland e.g in some parts of Rivers state (Opobo, Bonny, Buguma, Okrika etc). Non Igbo communities in Cross River and Benue state speak Igbo because of its nearness to Igboland.[/quote]

Thanks 4 d info
Re: Which Is The Most Popular Nigerian Language Among Nigerians? by Emmyk(m): 10:31am On Nov 30, 2012
honeychild: Hausa. It is †ђξ lingua franca of †ђξ entire north and middle belt . And anyone who lives in †ђξ North fir any lenght of time speaks it.
@Bolded, Oh yeah? Why dont I know a bit of hausa and I'm from Kogi State?
@op Yoruba..

1 Like

Re: Which Is The Most Popular Nigerian Language Among Nigerians? by DOD1: 9:57pm On Nov 30, 2012
Ileke-IdI.]

Hausa
Yoruba
150 tribes later
Igbo

Lol.

(1) (Reply)

Whites With Black DNA / The Igbos & Yorubas Of Sierra Leone / Top Ten False Friends In Swedish

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.