Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,101 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:31 AM

UBA Named 'African Bank Of The Year. - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / UBA Named 'African Bank Of The Year. (8124 Views)

South African Bank Targets Nigerian Market / GTBank Named 2013 African Bank Of The Year. / Lagos-Ibadan Expressway To Be Financed By South African Bank (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

UBA Named 'African Bank Of The Year. by fatdon2(m): 11:11am On Nov 30, 2012
The Banker Magazine, a publication of Financial Times, has named United Bank for Africa Plc (UBA), the ‘Bank of the Year’, Africa at an event held in London.

The bank also won the country awards for Senegal and Cameroon, bringing the total number of awards received by UBA to three. A statement from UBA yesterday, said the financial institution carted home the regional award for the continent, joining the ranks of other regional winners like Scotiabank- Global Americas, Nordea-Western Europe, Rai

ffeisen Bank International -Central and Eastern Europe, DBS-Asia\Pacific and Qatar National Bank-Middle East. “The ‘Bank of the Year’ is selected based on the overall performance of the financial institution and the opinion of leading financial analysts from the world’s financial markets. Winners were recognised and presented with awards in the presence of over 450 leading bankers across the globe,” the statement explained.

The awards, according to UBAM further attested to its growing recognition “as the leading pan- African financial services institution and as Africa’s global bank.” The awards were received by the Bank’s Deputy Managing Director, Mr.

Kennedy Uzoka; Managing Director, UBA Cameroon, Mr. Georges Wega; Managing Director, UBA Capital Europe, Mr. Ebele Ogbue, and Head UBA Representative Office Paris, DeMontalivet Edouard.

Explaining the rationale for the awards, The Banker said UBA was chosen on account of the bank’s successful turnaround to profitability following the write- offs and clean-up of its balance sheet in 2011. The Banker also stated that other reasons for the selection of UBA were the notable consolidation of UBA’s business across Africa as well as its innovative cross border payment/remittance products and platforms, which have made trade and financial transactions easier and more convenient in the continent. Commenting on the awards, Group Managing

Director/Chief Executive Officer, UBA, Mr. Phillips Oduoza, said it validated the UBA Group’s “leadership position in the continent and lent credence to its expansion across Africa and promotion of industry wide excellence in the global banking community.”

Oduoza added: “Winning the three highly coveted awards is a great accomplishment and it also reinforces UBA’s collective steadfastness and drive to becoming the bank of choice in Africa, in line with the Bank’s positioning as Africa’s global bank.
We dedicate it to all our stakeholders across the continent and are further encouraged to work harder.”

www.thisdaylive.com/articles/uba-named-african-bank-of-the-year-/132095/

2 Likes

Re: UBA Named 'African Bank Of The Year. by fatdon2(m): 12:56pm On Nov 30, 2012
Re: UBA Named 'African Bank Of The Year. by Nobody: 2:03pm On Nov 30, 2012
Abi oh...good one..

any way 2nd to comment

brought to yhu by HD GROUPS.powered by Maybach Music
Re: UBA Named 'African Bank Of The Year. by Eneze1(f): 2:04pm On Nov 30, 2012
the customer service of that bank is nothing to write home about, guess they don't rate that too

9 Likes

Re: UBA Named 'African Bank Of The Year. by Abongs(m): 2:04pm On Nov 30, 2012
for where?my knw wetin cause am
Re: UBA Named 'African Bank Of The Year. by legalwealth(m): 2:05pm On Nov 30, 2012
I agree as much as I'm at least enjoying their UBA Africard big time.
Re: UBA Named 'African Bank Of The Year. by Demdem(m): 2:05pm On Nov 30, 2012
here we go again. anytime u see a Nigerian bank being given an award, one has to watch it, Such bank is about to Die grin grin

2 Likes

Re: UBA Named 'African Bank Of The Year. by Abyjah: 2:06pm On Nov 30, 2012
Well deserved award
Re: UBA Named 'African Bank Of The Year. by legalwealth(m): 2:07pm On Nov 30, 2012
Eneze1: the customer service of that bank is nothing to write home about, guess they don't rate that too

You are right but you will still get your plights solved if you are patient with them.
Re: UBA Named 'African Bank Of The Year. by legalwealth(m): 2:09pm On Nov 30, 2012
Demdem: here we go again. anytime u see a Nigerian bank being given an award, one has to watch it, Such bank is about to Die grin grin

Go sidon joor...
Who tell you sey dey wan die...
Re: UBA Named 'African Bank Of The Year. by Afam4eva(m): 2:10pm On Nov 30, 2012
How did they arrive at this? I was thinking GTB.
Re: UBA Named 'African Bank Of The Year. by Demdem(m): 2:10pm On Nov 30, 2012
legalwealth:

Go sidon joor...
Who tell you sey dey wan die...

Intercontinental still dey for my mind sha.

1 Like

Re: UBA Named 'African Bank Of The Year. by Sunnybobo3(m): 2:12pm On Nov 30, 2012
Dem don start again!
Re: UBA Named 'African Bank Of The Year. by bola4dprec(m): 2:17pm On Nov 30, 2012
Congrat but to me I marked them 39% that is my experience with them so far, i.e charging customer on saving account, hidden loan changes and many more. Nigeria always celebrate corruption.
Re: UBA Named 'African Bank Of The Year. by Abujafood: 2:17pm On Nov 30, 2012
Don't mind this Bankers Magazine with their superficial knowledge of what Banking really is in Africa. Banker of the year Ko, Banker of the millenium ni!
Re: UBA Named 'African Bank Of The Year. by legalwealth(m): 2:18pm On Nov 30, 2012
afam4eva: How did they arrive at this? I was thinking GTB.

Every time is not christmas.
Okay?
Re: UBA Named 'African Bank Of The Year. by hardbody: 2:20pm On Nov 30, 2012

I am with you on this.

UBA is a cow-boy style Bank. I am not surprised because they can 'get' whatever they want.

GTB is the Bank joor, they are quietly making their mark and making people like me trust banking again. I will even pick Diamond Bank ahead of UBA, Zenith will come a distant third. IMO
Re: UBA Named 'African Bank Of The Year. by solgee(m): 2:20pm On Nov 30, 2012
Congrats UBA!
Re: UBA Named 'African Bank Of The Year. by Wendyslim(f): 2:20pm On Nov 30, 2012
Expecting gtb , anyway uba atm is just too perfect.
Re: UBA Named 'African Bank Of The Year. by igbojicollins: 2:20pm On Nov 30, 2012
Wise men bank with UBA grin
Re: UBA Named 'African Bank Of The Year. by Dozieson(m): 2:24pm On Nov 30, 2012
i think uba is the worse bank in nigeria. i went to uba to pay in money and what i saw was a massive disappointment. it took them 1hr to attend to 8customers. since my dad uses that bank i have to go gtonline banking cos i dont have any precious time to waste........uba is bleeped
Re: UBA Named 'African Bank Of The Year. by Alfy2: 2:32pm On Nov 30, 2012

This Bank has the smallest, most annoying deposit slip in Africa. And this has been for over 8 years! A slap on the customer!
Re: UBA Named 'African Bank Of The Year. by Nobody: 2:37pm On Nov 30, 2012
they definitely were not chosen on the basis of customer service
Re: UBA Named 'African Bank Of The Year. by Alfy2: 2:38pm On Nov 30, 2012

GTB it is, you are dead right! I mentioned UBA's deposit slip as an example of hostility towards the customer. How can you expect most African long names to be squeezed into the pigmy slip, and again, how do you enter lenghty amounts? What if you are a pentioner with trembling hands which will make you stray from the tiny lines? Their banking halls are also chaotic.
Re: UBA Named 'African Bank Of The Year. by doctokwus: 2:40pm On Nov 30, 2012
So because its from d Banker's magazine,using superflous criteria,we av 2 acknowledge it as correct.I don't see how dis bank wud b d best in nigeria,talkless of africa
Re: UBA Named 'African Bank Of The Year. by TeenageMoney(m): 2:41pm On Nov 30, 2012
For their pocket....
Re: UBA Named 'African Bank Of The Year. by Mathewjoseph: 2:47pm On Nov 30, 2012
Ecobank my bank is the best.whch kain uba.mtcheew comfirm
Re: UBA Named 'African Bank Of The Year. by Clerverly: 2:53pm On Nov 30, 2012
Which UBA?
Re: UBA Named 'African Bank Of The Year. by Itoroetti(m): 2:53pm On Nov 30, 2012
Demdem:

Intercontinental still dey for my mind sha.
even Oceanic,phb,springbank all won awards and died.lol
Re: UBA Named 'African Bank Of The Year. by vislabraye(m): 2:58pm On Nov 30, 2012
They're looking at the financial/ capital base. UBA is financially very secure. I bank with Gtb and their ATM is always good. Customer service is close to perfect.
Re: UBA Named 'African Bank Of The Year. by martyns303(m): 3:05pm On Nov 30, 2012
I would vote GTBank, the folks over there sure knws hw to make u feel important. Their online banking is cool, u can use their card in almost every major country in the world. GTBank have this maturity and class.

3 Likes

Re: UBA Named 'African Bank Of The Year. by ziccoit: 3:06pm On Nov 30, 2012
Is this the same UBA where I abandoned my account for lack of innovation and poor service delivery? GEJ is certainly the African president of the year by extension. grin grin grin

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Any Hope For The Naira? / Meet The Drug Companies Owned By Billionaires / How To Make Money Cultivating, Buying And Selling Of Cassava Tubers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.