Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,227 members, 7,818,772 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:17 AM

To Join A Strike Or Not - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / To Join A Strike Or Not (624 Views)

What To Do During A Strike / . / Daily Independent Staff Go On Strike Over Non-payment Of Salary (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

To Join A Strike Or Not by snthesis(m): 4:32pm On Nov 30, 2012
Hi my PPL,
i recently witnessed 1st hand a strike action by a group of individuals , the action resulted from a cut in their salaries, unfortunately/fortunately some members secretly chose not to be part of the action, after the protest, the company laid off workers that partook in the strike while the few that didnt got to keep their jobs.
Is it right for those workers not to have joined the protest, especially since it was a fight for better welfare for all? what is your own opinion
Re: To Join A Strike Or Not by yamakuza: 11:47pm On Nov 30, 2012
sounds like a private coy, and one without a union at that.

all in all, they most likely didnt go about it the right way, hence the outcome.

as to your question, the short/simple answer is no, while the longer answer is yes.

no because if they had all joined in, sacking them all would have been more difficult; and taking the coy to court, easier.
Re: To Join A Strike Or Not by AjanleKoko: 8:31am On Dec 03, 2012
snthesis: Hi my PPL,
i recently witnessed 1st hand a strike action by a group of individuals , the action resulted from a cut in their salaries, unfortunately/fortunately some members secretly chose not to be part of the action, after the protest, the company laid off workers that partook in the strike while the few that didnt got to keep their jobs.
Is it right for those workers not to have joined the protest, especially since it was a fight for better welfare for all? what is your own opinion

Well . . . you said it all. 'Group of individuals' mean they are taking the action at their own discretion. That kind of empowers the company to act at their own discretion as well.

I guess that company isn't unionized. Pity about that. Labour laws should enforce union membership in this country (but I guess governments anywhere would never want that anyway embarassed)
Re: To Join A Strike Or Not by snthesis(m): 6:23pm On Dec 04, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Well . . . you said it all. 'Group of individuals' mean they are taking the action at their own discretion. That kind of empowers the company to act at their own discretion as well.

I guess that company isn't unionized. Pity about that. Labour laws should enforce union membership in this country (but I guess governments anywhere would never want that anyway embarassed)
dats one way of looking at it, but the other aspect is the company is also taking advantage of the fact that they arent unionized to do as it pleases. as i speak, the workers have not been reabsorbed and the few that chose not to partake, kept dia jobs, so ws it a better decision not to join d strike
Re: To Join A Strike Or Not by AjanleKoko: 9:47pm On Dec 04, 2012
snthesis:
dats one way of looking at it, but the other aspect is the company is also taking advantage of the fact that they arent unionized to do as it pleases. as i speak, the workers have not been reabsorbed and the few that chose not to partake, kept dia jobs, so ws it a better decision not to join d strike

Yes, boss. It was a better decision not to join the strike. Obviously the 'strikers' did not think through their game plan before calling the management out.

(1) (Reply)

Is Masturbation Sinfull? / The Beauty Of Being A Cable Plant Engineer / Career Advisory Team

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.