Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,132 members, 7,814,953 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:41 AM

Nigerian Basketball Player Shot Dead ‘after Trying To Rob A Home In Texas - Entertainment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Nigerian Basketball Player Shot Dead ‘after Trying To Rob A Home In Texas (1156 Views)

Photos:the Most Expensive Home In The World Is Built With Grass And Flower / Check Out Photos From MKO Abiola's Daughter's Wedding In Texas Last Weekend / Woman Arrested After Trying To Kill Her Boyfriend With Her Big Brèast During Sèx (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Basketball Player Shot Dead ‘after Trying To Rob A Home In Texas by LTVersati(m): 8:02am On Dec 01, 2012
29 year old Chinedu Onyeuku, a former D’Tigers of Nigeria player, was shot dead in an alleged botched burglary in a home in Texas on November 21.

Police say Chinedu, who played for the Nigerian team that qualified for this year’s Olympic Games in London, was trying to break into a home on Rio Grande Street in Plano, Texas with an accomplice when he was shot dead by the home owner.

Chinedu and another individual allegedly entered the house by breaking the glass patio door. The home owner shot Chinedu, killing him instantly, while his accomplice escaped.

No one inside the home was injured in the burglary. Upon their arrival, EMT workers pronounced him dead at the scene. It is unclear why Onyeuku and his companion were trying to burglarize the residence.

The Nigeria Basketball Federation posted a statement saying that the 29-year-old athlete played basketball for the team that qualified for the London 2012 Olympics. However, Onyeuku was not on the Olympic roster and did not actually compete.

The statement reads: ‘His passion for playing with D’Tigers was deep-seated and he will be greatly missed. The federation joins his family and team mates to mourn a departed son, father, husband and great patriot.'

According to online sports records, Onyeuku was born in the Nigerian capital of Lagos in 1983. He moved to the United States at age six. He played college basketball at Illinois State University and then went semi-pro for awhile, playing for the Arlington Bulldogs, in the American Basketball Association.

In 2009, he was invited to play for the D’Tigers, a national squad in Nigeria.

It also said that Onyeuku lived in Omaha, Nebraska.

http://korrectnation.com/?p=37314

Re: Nigerian Basketball Player Shot Dead ‘after Trying To Rob A Home In Texas by Caseless: 8:16am On Dec 01, 2012
A professional basketballer for that matter. What got into his head i dont knw. Sad one...
Re: Nigerian Basketball Player Shot Dead ‘after Trying To Rob A Home In Texas by IlekeIdI2: 8:32am On Dec 01, 2012
Naija! Hmm.. They no dey change, anywhere they are. I actually think there is more to the story.
Re: Nigerian Basketball Player Shot Dead ‘after Trying To Rob A Home In Texas by Nobody: 5:05pm On Dec 01, 2012
Ileke-IdI.:
Naija! Hmm.. They no dey change, anywhere they are. I actually think there is more to the story.

@ the bolded is more sensible thing to say than generalizing and judging him and other Naija men. This whole burglary news in somewhat fishy to me. Plano of all places in Texas? I think this dude got shot by either an angry Mexican or redneck. Lets hope they investigate properly.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Basketball Player Shot Dead ‘after Trying To Rob A Home In Texas by ijebabe: 10:37am On Dec 02, 2012
Read this in the Daily UK as well. I dint think its FALSE except the burning question on why he chose to rob in the first place!

(1) (Reply)

Photo: Wizkid Replaces His Crashed Porsche With A Brand New One / Biography Of Linda Ikeji And Shocking Lifestyle / Ali Baba And Julius(the Genius)agwu,who Cracks U Up Easily?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.